I find you lack of faith in the forth dithturbing. -- Darse ("Darth") Vader

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: snapd

SubjectAuthor
* snapdRene Lamontagne
+- Re: snapdNP2
+- Re: snapdSamuel Lara
`* Re: snapdMike Easter
 `* Re: snapdBig Al
  +- Re: snapdMike Easter
  +* Re: snapdRene Lamontagne
  |`- Re: snapdNic
  +- Re: snapdNic
  +* Re: snapdYrrah
  |`- Re: snapdBig Al
  `* Re: snapdNP2
   `- Re: snapdBig Al

1
snapd

<jbbf60FodmhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3291&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3291

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: snapd
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:02:17 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:02 UTC

Is this software store any good?

Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install it
after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in
sudo apt install snapd
the response is software package is not available or some such.

is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?

Rene

Re: snapd

<t2q1uj$k3cd$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3292&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3292

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: snapd
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:20:50 +0200
 by: NP2 - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:20 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Is this software store any good?
>
> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install it
> after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in
> sudo apt install snapd
> the response is  software package is not available or some such.
>
> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?

It is blocked in Linux Mint, although you still can install it yourself.
Read what the Mint team had to say about it:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906

Of course, the decision to install it or not is up to you.

Re: snapd

<t2q2vc$6ed$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3293&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3293

From: samlara...@gmail.com (Samuel Lara)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 20:32:41 +0100
 by: Samuel Lara - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:32 UTC

On 08/04/2022 20:02, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Is this software store any good?
>
> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install it
> after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in
> sudo apt install snapd
> the response is software package is not available or some such.
>
> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?
>
> Rene

Yes it is worth it. Anything free is worth installing on Linux Mint. I use
all free software people discuss here.

Re: snapd

<jbbighFp1gnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3294&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3294

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 12:59:12 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 19:59 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Is this software store any good?

Personally, I am 'anti-' snap packaging.

> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install
> it after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in sudo
> apt install snapd the response is software package is not available
> or some such.

I'm not sure your 'the snaps file in etc/apt' is precisely defined.

These instructions at snapcraft explain specifically how to solve the
nosnap.pref condition in Mint.

https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint

> On a Linux Mint 20.x release (20, 20.1 and 20.2),
> /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref needs to be either removed or
> moved before Snap can be installed. This can be accomplished from the
> command line, and the following command (for example) moves
> nosnap.pref to a renamed nosnap.backup file in your Documents
> directory:
>

> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?

Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the snap
bandwagon.

--
Mike Easter

Re: snapd

<t2q849$utf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3295&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3295

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:06:15 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

On 4/8/22 15:59, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>
>> Is this software store any good?
>>
> Personally, I am 'anti-' snap packaging.
>
>> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install
>> it after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in sudo
>> apt install snapd the response is  software package is not available
>> or some such.
>>
> I'm not sure your 'the snaps file in etc/apt' is precisely defined.
>
> These instructions at snapcraft explain specifically how to solve the
> nosnap.pref condition in Mint.
>
> https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
>
>> On a Linux Mint 20.x release (20, 20.1 and 20.2),
>> /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref needs to be either removed or
>> moved before Snap can be installed. This can be accomplished from the
>> command line, and the following command (for example) moves
>> nosnap.pref to a renamed nosnap.backup file in your Documents
>> directory:
>>

>> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?
>>
> Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the snap bandwagon.

+1
I do like flatpack and appimage as alternates. But I stay away from flatpack as much as I can. I only have one
program, kpat, as the old version in the repros is buggy and the fixes are in flatpack.

Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows. You download it and put it someplace and execute it.
Delete the file and it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during runtime. I made an 'appimage' folder
in my home and just drop them there.
The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a launcher and let that create add to the 'other'
category in the menu.

Re: snapd

<jbbmrbFprd6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3296

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 14:13:14 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:13 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>> Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the snap
>> bandwagon.
>>

> +1
> I do like flatpack and appimage as alternates.  But I stay away from
> flatpack as much as I can.  I only have one program, kpat, as the old
> version in the repros is buggy and the fixes are in flatpack.
>
> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows.   You
> download it and put it someplace and execute it. Delete the file and
> it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during runtime.
> I made an 'appimage' folder in my home and just drop them there.
> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a
> launcher and let that create add to the 'other' category in the menu.

Historically, I have always been able to make do w/ the repo/s including
..ppa/s.

I have had very little experience w/ compiling; on the few occasions in
which I 'reached out' for a compile, my limited skills resulted in:

- often, it 'just worked' - piece o' pie
- when it didn't just work, it would have been impossible for me w/o
the extensive help of more experienced folks in newsgroups to help me
resolve dependencies

I am very concerned that this movement in the direction of big packages
will result in more apps which do NOT appear in repo/s or .ppa/s and it
will perhaps push me toward having to try my hand at compiling again,
which I didn't much like sometimes.

--
Mike Easter

Re: snapd

<jbbn26FpseiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3297&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3297

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 16:16:56 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:16 UTC

On 2022-04-08 4:06 p.m., Big Al wrote:
> On 4/8/22 15:59, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this software store any good?
>>>
>> Personally, I am 'anti-' snap packaging.
>>
>>> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install
>>> it after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in sudo
>>> apt install snapd the response is  software package is not available
>>> or some such.
>>>
>> I'm not sure your 'the snaps file in etc/apt' is precisely defined.
>>
>> These instructions at snapcraft explain specifically how to solve the
>> nosnap.pref condition in Mint.
>>
>> https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
>>
>>> On a Linux Mint 20.x release (20, 20.1 and 20.2),
>>> /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref needs to be either removed or
>>> moved before Snap can be installed. This can be accomplished from the
>>> command line, and the following command (for example) moves
>>> nosnap.pref to a renamed nosnap.backup file in your Documents
>>> directory:
>>>

>>> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?
>>>
>> Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the snap
>> bandwagon.
>>

> +1
> I do like flatpack and appimage as alternates.  But I stay away from
> flatpack as much as I can.  I only have one program, kpat, as the old
> version in the repros is buggy and the fixes are in flatpack.
>
> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows.   You
> download it and put it someplace and execute it. Delete the file and
> it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during runtime.
> I made an 'appimage' folder in my home and just drop them there.
> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a
> launcher and let that create add to the 'other' category in the menu.

Thanks to all who replied, that helped me decide plus a bunch more
reading and googling duck-ducking I have decided to drop this snapd
thingy like a hot potato.

Rene

Re: snapd

<mF14K.506316$Rza5.180687@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3298&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3298

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:19:14 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:19 UTC

On 4/8/22 5:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 4/8/22 15:59, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this software store any good?
>>>
>> Personally, I am 'anti-' snap packaging.
>>
>>> Is it worth installing on Mint 20.3? In any case I tried to install
>>> it after renaming the snaps file in etc/apt, but when I type in sudo
>>> apt install snapd the response is  software package is not available
>>> or some such.
>>>
>> I'm not sure your 'the snaps file in etc/apt' is precisely defined.
>>
>> These instructions at snapcraft explain specifically how to solve the
>> nosnap.pref condition in Mint.
>>
>> https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
>>
>>> On a Linux Mint 20.x release (20, 20.1 and 20.2),
>>> /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref needs to be either removed or
>>> moved before Snap can be installed. This can be accomplished from the
>>> command line, and the following command (for example) moves
>>> nosnap.pref to a renamed nosnap.backup file in your Documents
>>> directory:
>>>

>>> is this worth pursuing or should i just forget it?
>>>
>> Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the
>> snap bandwagon.
>>

> +1
> I do like flatpack and appimage as alternates.  But I stay away from
> flatpack as much as I can.  I only have one program, kpat, as the old
> version in the repros is buggy and the fixes are in flatpack.
>
> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows. You
> download it and put it someplace and execute it. Delete the file and
> it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during
> runtime.  I made an 'appimage' folder in my home and just drop them
> there.
> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a
> launcher and let that create add to the 'other' category in the menu.

+1

Re: snapd

<bG14K.506317$Rza5.428348@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3299&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3299

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:20:07 -0400
 by: Nic - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:20 UTC

On 4/8/22 5:16 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-08 4:06 p.m., Big Al wrote:

>>> Personally, I am 'anti-' snap packaging.

>>> I'm not sure your 'the snaps file in etc/apt' is precisely defined.
>>>
>>> These instructions at snapcraft explain specifically how to solve the
>>> nosnap.pref condition in Mint.
>>>
>>> https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint

>>> Personally I would exhaust other alternatives before I joined the
>>> snap bandwagon.
>>>

>> +1
>> I do like flatpack and appimage as alternates.  But I stay away from
>> flatpack as much as I can.  I only have one program, kpat, as the old
>> version in the repros is buggy and the fixes are in flatpack.
>>
>> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows. You
>> download it and put it someplace and execute it. Delete the file and
>> it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during
>> runtime.  I made an 'appimage' folder in my home and just drop them
>> there.
>> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a
>> launcher and let that create add to the 'other' category in the menu.
>
> Thanks to all  who replied,  that helped me decide plus a bunch more
> reading and googling  duck-ducking  I have decided to drop this snapd
> thingy like a hot potato.
>
> Rene

Wise decision.

Re: snapd

<qfh35hptcjd3qki3in88b0mda9bv29vbk2@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3312&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3312

From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 19:45:29 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:45 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:
> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows. You download it and put it someplace and execute it.
> Delete the file and it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during runtime. I made an 'appimage' folder
> in my home and just drop them there.
> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a launcher and let that create add to the 'other'
> category in the menu.

That's not a problem at all with the Cinnamon menu editor.

Yrrah

Re: snapd

<t2sh56$ulb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3314&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3314

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 13:52:38 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:52 UTC

On 4/9/22 13:45, this is what Yrrah wrote:
> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:
>
>> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows. You download it and put it someplace and execute it.
>> Delete the file and it's gone, other than maybe config or data files create during runtime. I made an 'appimage' folder
>> in my home and just drop them there.
>> The only issue I have is getting it on the menu, and I just create a launcher and let that create add to the 'other'
>> category in the menu.
>
> That's not a problem at all with the Cinnamon menu editor.
>
> Yrrah
I know. I've done it both ways. I just wish appimages would do it themselves. That's life!

Al

Re: snapd

<t2sjfi$ljha$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3318

From: NP2...@somewhere.invalid (NP2)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 20:32:17 +0200
 by: NP2 - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 18:32 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows.   You

Ever tried to *make* one? That's not so simple. I tried once, but gave
up. Tutorials didn't help much, they only show you the simplest things
and the rest you have to figure out for yourself.

Re: snapd

<t2skjs$qim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3319

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 14:51:40 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 18:51 UTC

On 4/9/22 14:32, this is what NP2 wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>
>> Appimage is really simple, it's like portable apps in Windows.   You
>
> Ever tried to *make* one? That's not so simple. I tried once, but gave up. Tutorials didn't help much, they only show
> you the simplest things and the rest you have to figure out for yourself.

That doesn't surprise me. Over the years I've tried to make a 'widget' and found help how to do it, but you're right,
they get you started with the structure and just enough info to be dangerous.

I finally got Linux theming down pretty good.

Al.