Any given program will expand to fill available memory.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Ping Ralph

SubjectAuthor
* Ping Ralphlucretia
+- Re: Ping RalphKenW
`* Re: Ping RalphRalph Fox
 `* Re: Ping Ralphlucretia
  `* Re: Ping RalphRalph Fox
   `* Re: Ping Ralphlucretia
    +- Re: Ping RalphDennis Lee Bieber
    +- Re: Ping RalphStill Bud
    `* Re: Ping RalphRalph Fox
     `* Re: Ping RalphNobody
      +- Re: Ping Ralphlucretia
      `- Re: Ping RalphNobody

1
Ping Ralph

<okl78h97jvgtqmmkqi6avlcu0a7jeeou1i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3314&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3314

From: lucretia...@fl.it (lucretia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Ping Ralph
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:12:29 -0300
 by: lucretia - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:12 UTC

Am breaking in a new computer and hit a snag with Agent. When I ask
it to download all new posts, it does the first group listed then
hangs on subsequent groups. I have tried altering the groups but it
seems it hangs on whatever the second group is.

I can close Agent, then when I open again, if I look for new posts one
group at a time, that works. Just not when I ask it to download all
new posts.

Hoping you can, as ever, help. Thank you.

Re: Ping Ralph

<tbm78h1i1hvaa3o7iaq04122s9e325r5cm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3315&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3315

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Ping Ralph
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:21:59 -0600
 by: KenW - Tue, 17 May 2022 17:21 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:12:29 -0300, lucretia <lucretiaborgia@fl.it>
wrote:

>Am breaking in a new computer and hit a snag with Agent. When I ask
>it to download all new posts, it does the first group listed then
>hangs on subsequent groups. I have tried altering the groups but it
>seems it hangs on whatever the second group is.
>
>I can close Agent, then when I open again, if I look for new posts one
>group at a time, that works. Just not when I ask it to download all
>new posts.
>
>Hoping you can, as ever, help. Thank you.

"get new headers in current desk" is what you want.

KenW

Re: Ping Ralph

<pfq78hd06jntethepob24ag27kgfbo8vrd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3316&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3316

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 06:59:27 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 17 May 2022 18:59 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:12:29 -0300, lucretia wrote:

> Am breaking in a new computer and hit a snag with Agent. When I ask
> it to download all new posts, it does the first group listed then
> hangs on subsequent groups. I have tried altering the groups but it
> seems it hangs on whatever the second group is.
>
> I can close Agent, then when I open again, if I look for new posts one
> group at a time, that works. Just not when I ask it to download all
> new posts.
>
> Hoping you can, as ever, help. Thank you.

The first thing that comes to mind:

Go to:
Folder >> Default Properties >> Purging Messages >> What to Purge
and make sure there is _NO_ check-mark in the setting
[ ] Always get complete list of server's available messages

Agent uses that setting when any of your "what to purge" settings says
"when message is no longer available".
* Back in the old days when ISP's ran news servers and retention was
measured in weeks, getting a complete list was not a big effort.
* In today's world, your big premium news server has 19 years of
retention and getting a complete list is a big effort.

Is this a clean install of Agent, or did you copy your old data folder over?
If it is a clean install, "all new posts" will initially be *all* posts which
on your server is everything back to 2003. This can be mitigated by
temporarily enabling the setting:
Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages
[x] Limit number of headers retrieved per session to [__________]

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Ping Ralph

<bpo98h13gl964br36u6q3113tq30tbevsd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3317&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3317

From: lucretia...@fl.it (lucretia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:17:46 -0300
 by: lucretia - Wed, 18 May 2022 12:17 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 06:59:27 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:12:29 -0300, lucretia wrote:
>
>> Am breaking in a new computer and hit a snag with Agent. When I ask
>> it to download all new posts, it does the first group listed then
>> hangs on subsequent groups. I have tried altering the groups but it
>> seems it hangs on whatever the second group is.
>>
>> I can close Agent, then when I open again, if I look for new posts one
>> group at a time, that works. Just not when I ask it to download all
>> new posts.
>>
>> Hoping you can, as ever, help. Thank you.
>

>The first thing that comes to mind:
>
>Go to:
> Folder >> Default Properties >> Purging Messages >> What to Purge
>and make sure there is _NO_ check-mark in the setting
> [ ] Always get complete list of server's available messages
>
>Agent uses that setting when any of your "what to purge" settings says
>"when message is no longer available".
> * Back in the old days when ISP's ran news servers and retention was
> measured in weeks, getting a complete list was not a big effort.
> * In today's world, your big premium news server has 19 years of
> retention and getting a complete list is a big effort.
>

>Is this a clean install of Agent, or did you copy your old data folder over?
>If it is a clean install, "all new posts" will initially be *all* posts which
>on your server is everything back to 2003. This can be mitigated by
>temporarily enabling the setting:
> Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages
> [x] Limit number of headers retrieved per session to [__________]

It was a clean install direct from Agents download. I then checked my
settings etc out against those on the lap top (which works normally) -
the only difference with the new computer is that it is running on
Win11 - I rather prefer it to Win 10 now I used to it! I've checked
the Def Props, no checks there :(

Re: Ping Ralph

<6j6c8h1gfu7mq104ef4ns0dbv510ib1ie5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3318

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 23:02:46 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 19 May 2022 11:02 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:17:46 -0300, lucretia wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022 06:59:27 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2022 14:12:29 -0300, lucretia wrote:
>>
>>> Am breaking in a new computer and hit a snag with Agent. When I ask
>>> it to download all new posts, it does the first group listed then
>>> hangs on subsequent groups. I have tried altering the groups but it
>>> seems it hangs on whatever the second group is.
>>>
>>> I can close Agent, then when I open again, if I look for new posts one
>>> group at a time, that works. Just not when I ask it to download all
>>> new posts.
>>>
>>> Hoping you can, as ever, help. Thank you.
>>

>> The first thing that comes to mind:
>>
>> Go to:
>> Folder >> Default Properties >> Purging Messages >> What to Purge
>> and make sure there is _NO_ check-mark in the setting
>> [ ] Always get complete list of server's available messages
>>
>> Agent uses that setting when any of your "what to purge" settings says
>> "when message is no longer available".
>> * Back in the old days when ISP's ran news servers and retention was
>> measured in weeks, getting a complete list was not a big effort.
>> * In today's world, your big premium news server has 19 years of
>> retention and getting a complete list is a big effort.
>>

>> Is this a clean install of Agent, or did you copy your old data folder over?
>> If it is a clean install, "all new posts" will initially be *all* posts which
>> on your server is everything back to 2003. This can be mitigated by
>> temporarily enabling the setting:
>> Folder >> Default Properties >> Receiving Messages >> Usenet Messages
>> [x] Limit number of headers retrieved per session to [__________]
>
> It was a clean install direct from Agents download. I then checked my
> settings etc out against those on the lap top (which works normally) -
> the only difference with the new computer is that it is running on
> Win11 - I rather prefer it to Win 10 now I used to it! I've checked
> the Def Props, no checks there :(

I can't think of an obvious explanation.
But some ideas...

1. Is Agent's data folder on OneDrive?

I have recently had experience of files/folders hanging with
OneDrive. (Disclaimer: that was not with Agent though; I
do not use Agent with OneDrive.)

2. The combination of AntiVirus and compressed headers.

Some AntiVirus programs scan the data connection between Agent
and the news server. In the past some of those AV programs did
not handle compressed headers properly. If the AV did not handle
compressed headers at all then you would get headers in no groups.
But if the AV's implementation was buggy, you might get headers
in one group then the connection would hang.

If this were the case, try turning off compressed headers in
server settings >> advanced.

3. If those don't help, a "verbose" debug log might give some clues
as to where things are hanging.

3.1 Close Agent. While Agent is closed, AGENT.INI.
In the [Debugging] section of AGENT.INI, change
VerboseLog=0 to VerboseLog=1

3.2 If the "Tools" pull-down menu does not have these two
entries at the bottom
"Debug Log to AGENT.LOG"
"View Debug Log Options"
then:
3.2.1 Dismiss the "Tools" pull-down menu
3.2.2 Press Ctrl+Shift+D
3.2.3 Look again.

3.3 In "View Debug Log Options", make sure that all the
options are UNchecked.

3.4 To create a debug log file of Agent getting headers

3.4.1 Turn on "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG"

3.4.2 Use an Agent command to get headers.
To see what is happening when Agent hangs, get
headers in a way which makes Agent hang.

3.4.3 Before restarting Agent, make a copy of the "AGENT.LOG"
file so that Agent does not overwrite it.
Look for the file "AGENT.LOG" in Agent's data folder.

3.4.4 When the testing is done, be sure to turn OFF
"Debug Log to AGENT.LOG".

3.5 In normal use, make sure that "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG" is
turned OFF so your Agent data folder does not fill up with
the debug log file.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

山高自有客行路,水深自有渡船人。
-- 吴承恩, "西游记"

Re: Ping Ralph

<mpvn8hhjni4g326585g8k6g3ffat89bged@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3319

From: lucretia...@fl.it (lucretia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300
 by: lucretia - Mon, 23 May 2022 21:45 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 23:02:46 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
> "View Debug Log Options"
> then:
> 3.2.1 Dismiss the "Tools" pull-down menu
> 3.2.2 Press Ctrl+Shift+D
> 3.2.3 Look again.
>
> 3.3 In "View Debug Log Options", make sure that all the
> options are UNchecked.
>
> 3.4 To create a debug log file of Agent getting headers
>
> 3.4.1 Turn on "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG"
>
> 3.4.2 Use an Agent command to get headers.
> To see what is happening when Agent hangs, get
> headers in a way which makes Agent hang.
>
> 3.4.3 Before restarting Agent, make a copy of the "AGENT.LOG"
> file so that Agent does not overwrite it.
> Look for the file "AGENT.LOG" in Agent's data folder.
>
> 3.4.4 When the testing is done, be sure to turn OFF
> "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG".
>
> 3.5 In normal use, make sure that "Debug Log to AGENT.LOG" is
> turned OFF so your Agent data folder does not fill up with

Been a long road! I tried all your suggestions in the first post and
the only thing I found was it seemed that it was hanging because it
was trying to download messages from years ago!

A tekkie type friend was coming so he looked for me and checked out
all the suggestions in the second post, but no luck.

I am left wondering if Agent 8 clashes with Win 11 or if perhaps the
download went wrong in some way and I should simply do away with it
and start again by downloading 8 again.

Either that or I could just use my laptop which runs fine, but I do
much prefer using the desk top.

Have you heard of other Win11 persons having problems?

Thanks for all your suggestions

Re: Ping Ralph

<6p2o8hdm5ap1btjp87mjpnl2bj9lr4icio@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3320&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3320

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 18:35:05 -0400
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Mon, 23 May 2022 22:35 UTC

On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300, lucretia <lucretiaborgia@fl.it>
declaimed the following:

>Been a long road! I tried all your suggestions in the first post and
>the only thing I found was it seemed that it was hanging because it
>was trying to download messages from years ago!

For that... My recommendation for any new /configuration/ of Agent (not
install, but any user account change, alternate start-ups, etc.) run

Action/Get Headers>/Catch-up With Newsgroups

This should result in the configuration obtaining the counts of first/last
post on the server, and flagging the entire range as "previously seen".
Only new messages will then be available/downloaded on future runs.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Ping Ralph

<2hro8hh6h5i21prg4ehul0rq6jm4qpfdv4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3321&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3321

From: clstom...@gmail.com (Still Bud)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 22:34:22 -0700
 by: Still Bud - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:34 UTC

wrote:

>Been a long road! I tried all your suggestions in the first post and
>the only thing I found was it seemed that it was hanging because it
>was trying to download messages from years ago!
>
>A tekkie type friend was coming so he looked for me and checked out
>all the suggestions in the second post, but no luck.

Have you tried "catch up with newsgroups"??

Re: Ping Ralph

<aaro8htmoit60touiici0upisj1os5rh9p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3322

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 17:55:40 +1200
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 24 May 2022 05:55 UTC

On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300, lucretia wrote:

> I am left wondering if Agent 8 clashes with Win 11 or if perhaps the
> download went wrong in some way and I should simply do away with it
> and start again by downloading 8 again.
>
> Either that or I could just use my laptop which runs fine, but I do
> much prefer using the desk top.
>
> Have you heard of other Win11 persons having problems?

No.

I have tested Agent 6 in Windows 11, downloading new posts in multiple
newsgroups with no problem. I do not expect anything different with
Agent 8.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Ping Ralph

<24vp8hpiehkeuvldbgi1buult2qmp14nfi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3323&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3323

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 08:42:24 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 24 May 2022 15:42 UTC

On Tue, 24 May 2022 17:55:40 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300, lucretia wrote:
>
>> I am left wondering if Agent 8 clashes with Win 11 or if perhaps the
>> download went wrong in some way and I should simply do away with it
>> and start again by downloading 8 again.
>>
>> Either that or I could just use my laptop which runs fine, but I do
>> much prefer using the desk top.
>>
>> Have you heard of other Win11 persons having problems?
>

>No.
>
>I have tested Agent 6 in Windows 11, downloading new posts in multiple
>newsgroups with no problem. I do not expect anything different with
>Agent 8.

Yep, Win 11 and Agent 8 work fine for me to 'Get New Headers In
Desks'... i.e. update all folders at once.

Re: Ping Ralph

<nqgq8hhp8mipua7fra7ih55mqf1529rgih@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3324&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3324

From: lucretia...@fl.it (lucretia)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 17:44:00 -0300
 by: lucretia - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:44 UTC

On Tue, 24 May 2022 08:42:24 -0700, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2022 17:55:40 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300, lucretia wrote:
>>
>>> I am left wondering if Agent 8 clashes with Win 11 or if perhaps the
>>> download went wrong in some way and I should simply do away with it
>>> and start again by downloading 8 again.
>>>
>>> Either that or I could just use my laptop which runs fine, but I do
>>> much prefer using the desk top.
>>>
>>> Have you heard of other Win11 persons having problems?
>>

>>No.
>>
>>I have tested Agent 6 in Windows 11, downloading new posts in multiple
>>newsgroups with no problem. I do not expect anything different with
>>Agent 8.
>

>Yep, Win 11 and Agent 8 work fine for me to 'Get New Headers In
>Desks'... i.e. update all folders at once.

That's what I like to do but currently, it gets headers for the first
desk then hangs on the second until the Timed Out message comes up.

Re: Ping Ralph

<psnq8h5icr664d71sje9e73aple8tm2glr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3325&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3325

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 15:57:21 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 24 May 2022 22:57 UTC

On Tue, 24 May 2022 08:42:24 -0700, Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2022 17:55:40 +1200, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 23 May 2022 18:45:16 -0300, lucretia wrote:
>>
>>> I am left wondering if Agent 8 clashes with Win 11 or if perhaps the
>>> download went wrong in some way and I should simply do away with it
>>> and start again by downloading 8 again.
>>>
>>> Either that or I could just use my laptop which runs fine, but I do
>>> much prefer using the desk top.
>>>
>>> Have you heard of other Win11 persons having problems?
>>

>>No.
>>
>>I have tested Agent 6 in Windows 11, downloading new posts in multiple
>>newsgroups with no problem. I do not expect anything different with
>>Agent 8.
>

>Yep, Win 11 and Agent 8 work fine for me to 'Get New Headers In
>Desks'... i.e. update all folders at once.

Given that my Agent set-up dates from when I wasn't *adventurous* with
fiddling, the settings should be out-of-the-box.

I'd installed 8 on a new PC (as Win 10) a year ago, along with copying
previous setting details which had been in use for 10 years -- I can't
recall when I updated from 6.

I doubt your PC delivered with Win 11 would be different/picky from a
Win 10 machine updated to 11 within months of purchase, but I can't
add to Ralph's hints.