"The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl." -- Dave Barry

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard haAndy Burnelli
`* Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hanospam
 `* Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard haAndy Burnelli
  +- Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industryAlan
  `* Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industryJoerg Lorenz
   +- Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhoneHank Rogers
   +- Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industryAlan
   `* Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard haAndy Burnelli
    `- Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industryAlan

1
Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9fu9n$h7d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33178&group=comp.mobile.android#33178

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 23:11:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 22:11 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

>>Preferably by never-ending subscriptions...
>
> If Apple actually does that chances are others will follow shortly once
> they see the profits Apple is making and knowing the consumer has no
> other choice.

Always remember the exception is not the rule...

I welcome an erudite opinion, which I believe badgolferman offered.
I don't disagree; however, I believe there is a nuance in detail here...

An erudite discussion almost always involves that nuance in detail.
1. Apple is _brilliant_ at marketing
2. Which is why Apple has such enviable profit margins
3. However... Apple's strategy only works on price-insensitive customers!

Bear in mind I love an honest discussion where both parties first agree on
the facts; and then they individually assess them, weighing each using
rational and logical thought processes.

I assess the facts, like badgolferman does, and as any rational adult would
assess them... hence, while I instantly concur with badgolferman's
assessment, I would further temper his assessment with a bit of added
nuance about the type of customer Apple sells to (who seeks "style").

Based on what badgolferman has accurately inferred above...
The nuance of what I've seen happen in the smartphone world is...
a. Apple removes basic functionality (after tremendous advertising)
b. Apple fabricates an excuse (while making lost functionality "stylish")
c. Others follow... (for profit reasons alone)... but...

*The ones who follow are usually the _high end_ phones only*.
Those who follow can _afford_ a hiccup in sales of those high end phones.

Because they are _both_ selling to customers who are not cost conscious.
That is, they can easily recover from the loss of basic hardware parts.

*But the vast majority of phones still _retain_ that lost functionality.*

For example, Pixels, and Samsungs, and even then, only the top-end Samsungs
(but not the vast majority of Samsungs) have removed the sdslot & jack &
charger-in-the-box... but not "most" phones (which still have them all).

Do you agree (at least partially) with that nuanced observation?
a. It happened with elimination of sdslots (on high-end phones)
(yet most phones still have the sdslot)
b. It happened with elimination of headphone ports (on high-end phones)
(most phones still have the headphone port)
c. It happened with elimination of chargers-in-the-box
(yet most phones still have the charger in the box)

It might even have happened when Apple removed the internal FM radio.
Yet most phones still have the internal FM radio enabled.

Making the actual assessment a bit more difficult, it does seem to have
happened, for the most part, with removable batteries, which are no longer
available on most phones.

On larger batteries? Most phones have five amp batteries or greater
nowadays, as a dead battery isn't easily advertised to be fashionable.
--
You can't have an intelligent discussion without comprehension of detail.

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<280620221936207889%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33182&group=comp.mobile.android#33182

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 19:36:20 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 23:36 UTC

In article <t9fu9n$h7d$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> On larger batteries? Most phones have five amp batteries or greater
> nowadays,

most phones don't have power-efficient a-series chips or operating
systems.

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9hq09$10d7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33197&group=comp.mobile.android#33197

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 16:10:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:10 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> On larger batteries? Most phones have five amp batteries or greater
>> nowadays,
>
> most phones don't have power-efficient a-series chips or operating
> systems.

It's not surprising anymore iKooks are ignorant that every Apple SOC series
- whether the A series, the T series or the M series - contains well-known
long-ago published unpatchable & unfixable hardware flaws, nospam.

Nonetheless, these are the salient facts for the topic of discussion:
a. Most phones have portable internal storage (yet iPhones do not)
b. Most phones have standard headphone jacks (yet new iPhones do not)
c. Most phones have FM radios enabled (yet iPhones disabled the FM radio)
d. Most phones come with an in-the-box charger (iPhones no longer do)
e. Most phones now come with five, six & seven AH batteries (not iPhones)
etc.

It's rather obvious to all but low-IQ ignorant iKooks what the strategy is.
*Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*
--
So that billions of consumers are forced to buy the functionality back.

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9hrmd$1fgml$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33201&group=comp.mobile.android#33201

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry
standard hardware functionality?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 08:38:52 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 15:38 UTC

On 2022-06-29 08:10, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> On larger batteries? Most phones have five amp batteries or greater
>>> nowadays,
>>
>> most phones don't have power-efficient a-series chips or operating
>> systems.
>
> It's not surprising anymore iKooks are ignorant that every Apple SOC series
> - whether the A series, the T series or the M series - contains well-known
> long-ago published unpatchable & unfixable hardware flaws, nospam.
>
> Nonetheless, these are the salient facts for the topic of discussion:
> a. Most phones have portable internal storage (yet iPhones do not)

That's false.

> b. Most phones have standard headphone jacks (yet new iPhones do not)

And yet, iPhones still sell very VERY well.

> c. Most phones have FM radios enabled (yet iPhones disabled the FM radio)

That's false.

> d. Most phones come with an in-the-box charger (iPhones no longer do)

But you've been advocating that such devices shouldn't come with chargers.

> e. Most phones now come with five, six & seven AH batteries (not iPhones)
> etc.

And yet, iPhones dominate the list of the longest battery life
smartphones as reported by Consumer Reports.

> It's rather obvious to all but low-IQ ignorant iKooks what the strategy is.
> *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9jgob$rn3j$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33218&group=comp.mobile.android#33218

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
standard hardware functionality?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:44:27 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 06:44 UTC

Am 29.06.22 um 17:10 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
> It's not surprising anymore iKooks are ignorant that every Apple SOC series
> - whether the A series, the T series or the M series - contains well-known
> long-ago published unpatchable & unfixable hardware flaws, nospam.
>
> Nonetheless, these are the salient facts for the topic of discussion:
> a. Most phones have portable internal storage (yet iPhones do not)
> b. Most phones have standard headphone jacks (yet new iPhones do not)
> c. Most phones have FM radios enabled (yet iPhones disabled the FM radio)
> d. Most phones come with an in-the-box charger (iPhones no longer do)
> e. Most phones now come with five, six & seven AH batteries (not iPhones)
> etc.
>
> It's rather obvious to all but low-IQ ignorant iKooks what the strategy is.
> *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*

Did you smoke funny stuff, Andy?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9jjp4$1nsdf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33220&group=comp.mobile.android#33220

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone
industry standard hardware functionality?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:36:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yB0Y2M2mZA7kD9PAb1Utqa0kLo8=
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:36 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 29.06.22 um 17:10 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>> It's not surprising anymore iKooks are ignorant that every Apple SOC series
>> - whether the A series, the T series or the M series - contains well-known
>> long-ago published unpatchable & unfixable hardware flaws, nospam.
>>
>> Nonetheless, these are the salient facts for the topic of discussion:
>> a. Most phones have portable internal storage (yet iPhones do not)
>> b. Most phones have standard headphone jacks (yet new iPhones do not)
>> c. Most phones have FM radios enabled (yet iPhones disabled the FM radio)
>> d. Most phones come with an in-the-box charger (iPhones no longer do)
>> e. Most phones now come with five, six & seven AH batteries (not iPhones)
>> etc.
>>
>> It's rather obvious to all but low-IQ ignorant iKooks what the strategy is.
>> *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*
>
> Did you smoke funny stuff, Andy?

iKooks … iKooks Everywhere!

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9kium$1v3j9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33224&group=comp.mobile.android#33224

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
standard hardware functionality?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:28:06 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:28 UTC

On 2022-06-29 23:44, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 29.06.22 um 17:10 schrieb Andy Burnelli:
>> It's not surprising anymore iKooks are ignorant that every Apple SOC series
>> - whether the A series, the T series or the M series - contains well-known
>> long-ago published unpatchable & unfixable hardware flaws, nospam.
>>
>> Nonetheless, these are the salient facts for the topic of discussion:
>> a. Most phones have portable internal storage (yet iPhones do not)
>> b. Most phones have standard headphone jacks (yet new iPhones do not)
>> c. Most phones have FM radios enabled (yet iPhones disabled the FM radio)
>> d. Most phones come with an in-the-box charger (iPhones no longer do)
>> e. Most phones now come with five, six & seven AH batteries (not iPhones)
>> etc.
>>
>> It's rather obvious to all but low-IQ ignorant iKooks what the strategy is.
>> *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*
>
> Did you smoke funny stuff, Andy?

More likely he's off his prescribed medication...

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9kjif$18am$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33225&group=comp.mobile.android#33225

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:39:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:39 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item*
>
> Did you smoke funny stuff

Hi Joerg,

I presented facts.
All you did was blame the messenger.

Let's stick to the facts, since we're supposed to be adults here.
My point of view ties many facts together into a cohesive picture.

But no adult conversation is possible until we agree on the facts first.

*Do you dispute _any_ of those facts below, Joerg Lorenz?*

I'm a well educated adult with at least an average IQ, who welcomes erudite
discussion, as I try to assess the facts as they are presented to me.

It's important for you to understand that making adult assessments based on
facts requires sufficient IQ & education to properly assess those facts.

The facts I stated that YOU (and every caring adult) needs to assess are:
1. Apple never added the internal *portable storage* hardware slot
2. Apple never enabled the internal *FM radio* chip (and then removed it)
3. Apple removed the ubiquitous *headphone jack* (it was "courageous")
4. Apple removed the *charger-in-the-box* (most provide a fast charger)
5. Apple continues to seal in pitifully puny *el cheapo batteries*
etc.

*Do you dispute _any_ of those facts above, Joerg Lorenz?*
Not even one?

Well then...

If you agree with those facts, how can you then claim that Apple is _not_
slowly but inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by item?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
where it's no longer shocking that Joerg Lorenz is ignorant of the facts.

Re: How soon will it be when Apple has removed _all_ iPhone industry standard hardware functionality?

<t9kk1i$1v7k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33226&group=comp.mobile.android#33226

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.mobile.android
standard hardware functionality?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 09:46:40 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 16:46 UTC

On 2022-06-30 09:39, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>>>  *Apple is inexorably decontenting iPhone hardware, item by item by
>>> item*
>>
>> Did you smoke funny stuff
>
> Hi Joerg,
>
> I presented facts.
> All you did was blame the messenger.
>
> Let's stick to the facts, since we're supposed to be adults here.
> My point of view ties many facts together into a cohesive picture.
>
> But no adult conversation is possible until we agree on the facts first.
>
> *Do you dispute _any_ of those facts below, Joerg Lorenz?*
>
> I'm a well educated adult with at least an average IQ, who welcomes
> erudite discussion, as I try to assess the facts as they are presented
> to me.
>
> It's important for you to understand that making adult assessments based
> on facts requires sufficient IQ & education to properly assess those facts.
>
> The facts I stated that YOU (and every caring adult) needs to assess are:

You're supposedly all about facts, right?

> 1. Apple never added the internal *portable storage* hardware slot

Of the 296 high-end phones released in the last 3 years, only 90 have
have a storage slot of any kind:

<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2020&nPriceMin=400&idCardslot=1>

> 2. Apple never enabled the internal *FM radio* chip (and then removed it)

Of the 296 high-end phones released in the last 3 years, only 52 have
have FM radios:

<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2020&nPriceMin=400&chkFMradio=selected>

> 3. Apple removed the ubiquitous *headphone jack* (it was "courageous")

Of the 296 high-end phones released in the last 3 years, only 77 have
headphone jacks:

<https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2020&nPriceMin=400&chk35mm=selected>

> 4. Apple removed the *charger-in-the-box* (most provide a fast charger)

Yet you argue in other places that it is wasteful for every phone to
come with a charger...

> 5. Apple continues to seal in pitifully puny *el cheapo batteries*

Yet Apple's phones dominate the actually battery life results as done by
Consumer Reports.