From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: BBC iPLayer app
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:31:40 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 18:31 UTC

One for the Brits here.

I have an iPlayer account, and have used it many times to watch BBC
programmes on my Panasonic TV.

I downloaded the iPlayer app onto my Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 phone, and
when I opened it it requested that I sign in or register. Fair enough,
as it had no details of my iPlayer account. But it insists on accessing
the account to "sign in" or "register" *only* through Chrome, which I
refuse to use, My default browser is Firefox, but the only way I could
get to iPlayer through its app was to tap on the app's "Read our privacy
notice", which then opened in FF, and allowed me to log in.. I changed
the default browser to Brave, but on tapping on the i Player app it
still insists on Chrome. Tapping on the "Read our privacy notice" now
opens it in Brave, so it does know about the other browsers. I even
tried using the Mi browser (Xiaomis's own) as the default hoping it
might override Chrome, but it didn't.

Unfortunately there is no way to uninstall Chrome or even temporarily
"Stop" it. Any ideas short of rooting the phone on how to get iPlayer to
ignore Chrome and use FF or Brave?

--

Jeff