From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: iFixit and Google launch official Pixel parts store
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 03:47:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Fri, 1 Jul 2022 03:47 UTC

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/ifixit-and-google-launch-official-pixel-parts-store/
iFixit and Google launch official Pixel parts store

iFixit says that genuine parts for Google smartphones are now for sale in
"the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and European countries where Pixel is
available."

It looks like iFixit is offering screens, batteries, and rear camera
assemblies for most models of the Pixel phone, along with smaller odds and
ends like adhesive and cooling graphite tape.

Despite the official partnership with Google, we wouldn't call the iFixit
Pixel store a comprehensive source of Pixel parts. For the Pixel 6 and 6
Pro-which are currently in production and should have tons of available
parts-you can't buy replacement glass back panels, charging ports, front
cameras, or any of the delicate cables you could accidentally rip while
you're taking the phone apart. Just compare the official Pixel 6 Pro parts
list, which has only six items, to any of the iPhone part lists, which have
about 30 parts, and you can see there are a lot of missing items.

iFixit says it's just getting started, though, and that it will "continue
to add more types of parts to our catalog" for the Pixel 2 and later. For
the Pixel 6a, which comes out at the end of July, iFixit is promising "a
full selection" of parts "as soon as possible."