From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: How to turn off Android 12's head-based auto-rotation on a Galaxy or Pixel
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:32:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:32 UTC

Would someone kindly test this Android 12 rotate setting on a Samsung
and/or a Pixel please?

If I want to rotate a phone, I'll rotate it - I don't need an automatic
rotation, and particularly a face-detected auto rotation - which is what
Android 12 does (although I don't know if that's relevant).
<https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-use-enhanced-auto-rotate-in-android-12>

Heck, I don't even have any biometrics, let alone face detection enabled.

Yet, when I updated my Galaxy to Android 12 the auto-rotate instantly
started kicking on for inexplicable reasons. Maybe once or twice a day the
screen rotates even _after_ I've turned off the swipedown "rotation" tile.

Googling how to disable the Android 12 automatic rotation feature, this
article (from July of last year) sounded promising:
*How to turn off Android 12's head-based auto-rotation*
<https://www.androidcentral.com/how-turn-android-12s-head-based-auto-rotation>

However, the menu sequence it suggests doesn't exist on my A32-5G.
Settings > Display > Auto-rotate screen >
Enable Face Detection = off
Use Auto-rotate = on

On my Samsung, none of that exists under Settings > Display.
Do you have those options on your Pixel or Samsung?

Re: How to turn off Android 12's head-based auto-rotation on a Galaxy or Pixel

<jirh0jFoafoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=33256&group=comp.mobile.android#33256

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to turn off Android 12's head-based auto-rotation on a Galaxy
or Pixel
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 21:05:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 20:05 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Would someone kindly test this Android 12 rotate setting on a Samsung
> and/or a Pixel please?

I don't have (can't have) face detection on my pixel5a, but the rotation just
follows what the gyro tells it, there may be be the odd one or two apps that
stubbornly insist on landscape or portrait.

I still have a spare Samsung A21s, it's currently on android v11, but it seems
v12 has been released in russia/hongkong/taiwan this week, so hopefully will hit
the uk in a few days ...