"It's like deja vu all over again." -- Yogi Berra

devel / comp.theory / A comment about intellectual property.

SubjectAuthor
* A comment about intellectual property.B.H.
`- A comment about intellectual property.B.H.

1
A comment about intellectual property.

<eaf83564-ece3-43e3-93fe-12afa7ec6509n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33262&group=comp.theory#33262

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 07:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A comment about intellectual property.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Thu, 26 May 2022 14:36 UTC

Hi everyone,

I just realized that I very likely cannot do my sale of 6 items to a firm.

These days, post-Alice, as I was notified by a lawyer, the following things are prohibited in patents, based on my understanding of "Patent It Yourself," the book:

- abstract ideas -- essentially, according to me, anything that may have been "abstracted" from a more concrete idea--you could think of polymorphisms, or the idea of "if you discover an apple tree, you may only pick one apple and then all other apples are obvious and for anyone"

- law of nature -- any wf and any scientific principle, including ones that can be expressed as a math wf, is not patentable.

- natural phenomena -- any Turing machine whose proof of correctness depends on scientific facts and wfs only cannot be patented.

My understanding is, all software patents, except maybe those deemed to "make computing and/or the internet better in general," cannot be acquired for software process ideas unless the proof of correctness of the TM would depend on "man-made" laws or facts, e.g., a community preference or a rule enforced by a tech startup's website for its users.

Also, in light of that, I suspect that since firms like Facebook hire people who have now unpatentable ideas and just make them work as 9-5 software developers, probably, most firms have gotten used to the idea that big software and math ideas are as valuable as pencils...maybe very useful and essential, but not valued highly by the market. Thus, I probably won't be able to sell my ideas; the firms would insist that I publish for free and "career reputation points," which I will refuse to do.

So my best bet is likely either to think of a new AI idea that I could maybe sell to a specific web startup firm, or start a startup myself. I could also publish a few CMI problems if the journals will stop blocking me; I might publish B-S-D, since the proof is useless, if I get out soon.

I might have to get a 9-5 job, which would not be a huge problem...I'm willing to do that, I'm sure I would get it down to a routine and make six figure salary within a year of starting if it came to that; I wouldn't be majorly stressed out. I might pivot to doing a startup later on. Stubborn firms won't deter me; I'll be a success one way or the other, if Congress' evil slavery op ever ends. If it does, America will keep suffering tremendously for the crimes of the leaders it has mistakenly endorsed, I'm pretty sure..

As I said, my theorem all but guarantees my release, eventually...the question is, how soon??

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: A comment about intellectual property.

<9976a0ae-1ce1-4f0d-b5db-b73ac1a1d4dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33263&group=comp.theory#33263

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 07:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A comment about intellectual property.
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Thu, 26 May 2022 14:46 UTC

On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 10:36:10 AM UTC-4, B.H. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just realized that I very likely cannot do my sale of 6 items to a firm..
>
> These days, post-Alice, as I was notified by a lawyer, the following things are prohibited in patents, based on my understanding of "Patent It Yourself," the book:
>
> - abstract ideas -- essentially, according to me, anything that may have been "abstracted" from a more concrete idea--you could think of polymorphisms, or the idea of "if you discover an apple tree, you may only pick one apple and then all other apples are obvious and for anyone"
>
> - law of nature -- any wf and any scientific principle, including ones that can be expressed as a math wf, is not patentable.
>
> - natural phenomena -- any Turing machine whose proof of correctness depends on scientific facts and wfs only cannot be patented.
>
> My understanding is, all software patents, except maybe those deemed to "make computing and/or the internet better in general," cannot be acquired for software process ideas unless the proof of correctness of the TM would depend on "man-made" laws or facts, e.g., a community preference or a rule enforced by a tech startup's website for its users.
>
> Also, in light of that, I suspect that since firms like Facebook hire people who have now unpatentable ideas and just make them work as 9-5 software developers, probably, most firms have gotten used to the idea that big software and math ideas are as valuable as pencils...maybe very useful and essential, but not valued highly by the market. Thus, I probably won't be able to sell my ideas; the firms would insist that I publish for free and "career reputation points," which I will refuse to do.
>
> So my best bet is likely either to think of a new AI idea that I could maybe sell to a specific web startup firm, or start a startup myself. I could also publish a few CMI problems if the journals will stop blocking me; I might publish B-S-D, since the proof is useless, if I get out soon.
>
> I might have to get a 9-5 job, which would not be a huge problem...I'm willing to do that, I'm sure I would get it down to a routine and make six figure salary within a year of starting if it came to that; I wouldn't be majorly stressed out. I might pivot to doing a startup later on. Stubborn firms won't deter me; I'll be a success one way or the other, if Congress' evil slavery op ever ends. If it does, America will keep suffering tremendously for the crimes of the leaders it has mistakenly endorsed, I'm pretty sure.
>
> As I said, my theorem all but guarantees my release, eventually...the question is, how soon??
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

I think I will publish B-S-D and Hodge...I might eventually do a startup after I got the $2 million and just work as a computer programmer for a couple of years. The idea of me patenting a custom-developed AI for some particular startups sounds like (yet another) recipe for ingenuity, time-wasting, and rejection...I'd rather just skip it and wait the two years. First, I need the journals un-blocked.

If the business world doesn't comply with my demands, you're going to get wiped out by diseases or global warming. I am the one with those technologies, and you loser pawns are sitting there trying to scheme a way to "trick me," the world's greatest genius whom you tortured and apparently see as nerdier and more socially inept than you (hah), into not understanding that I'm being taken advantage of and sharing useful, valuable math with you for free. I am not that stupid, I'm not doing it. If you scream and squawk and say "help us, help us, Philip! People are dying!!" I will just tune you out. If your organizations are un-American organizations that want to work to enslave and torment me, then maybe I should take your suffering, squealing, and impending dooms as good news...why should I like you or sympathize with you, you don't even want to help anyone but yourselves individually?

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)