I have a very small mind and must live with it. -- E. Dijkstra

devel / comp.theory / New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon

SubjectAuthor
* New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUponB.H.
`* New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUponMr Flibble
 `- New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUponB.H.

1
New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon

<d040a3a7-a71c-40b4-996b-8a2731cbb8a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33264&group=comp.theory#33264

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 08:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Thu, 26 May 2022 15:23 UTC

Hi everyone,

I think I've selected a good idea for a startup that I'll work on coding as soon as I get out of illegal captivity:

- mainly a "StumbleUpon"-like site, where users get websites recommended
- there is also a basic search capability for content within the service
- unlimited storage of images, video, text, and hyperlinks is enabled
- users can build their own simple websites from these stored items
- an advertising placement service is included
- the simple websites generate ad revenue, and users get a share
- the websites don't need to be coded and aren't available on search engines...
- ...but the websites can be searched for and found on my service

I believe I have the best technology to be able to be competitive at this, and since I wouldn't have to build anything in a factory or try to work with any stubborn firms with "set policies" or tricky traps to mess up innovators or product sellers, I could just build this site, power it with the right AI and other tech, and try to make money from it without having to deal with possibly unethical corporate preferences and arbitrary traps that I wouldn't know about if, e.g., trying to sell a flying remote control device or cheaper big-screen TV.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon

<20220526173013.00004f51@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33265&group=comp.theory#33265

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 17:30:13 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Thu, 26 May 2022 16:30 UTC

On Thu, 26 May 2022 08:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
"B.H." <xlt.pjw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think I've selected a good idea for a startup that I'll work on
> coding as soon as I get out of illegal captivity:
>
> - mainly a "StumbleUpon"-like site, where users get websites
> recommended
> - there is also a basic search capability for content within the
> service
> - unlimited storage of images, video, text, and hyperlinks is enabled
> - users can build their own simple websites from these stored items
> - an advertising placement service is included
> - the simple websites generate ad revenue, and users get a share
> - the websites don't need to be coded and aren't available on search
> engines...
> - ...but the websites can be searched for and found on my service
>
> I believe I have the best technology to be able to be competitive at
> this, and since I wouldn't have to build anything in a factory or try
> to work with any stubborn firms with "set policies" or tricky traps
> to mess up innovators or product sellers, I could just build this
> site, power it with the right AI and other tech, and try to make
> money from it without having to deal with possibly unethical
> corporate preferences and arbitrary traps that I wouldn't know about
> if, e.g., trying to sell a flying remote control device or cheaper
> big-screen TV.

So you want to be a website provider that provides websites that aren't
searchable by Google? Great idea mate, I'm sure it won't catch on.
Maybe refuting the halting problem proofs would be a
better way of wasting your time? Speak to Olcott, he was wasted half of
his life on that endeavour.

/Flibble

Re: New Startup Idea: Something Like StumbleUpon

<0b310b00-3627-45f6-bbb1-8a224a719a8en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33289&group=comp.theory#33289

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 07:56:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Fri, 27 May 2022 14:56 UTC

On Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 12:30:16 PM UTC-4, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2022 08:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
> "B.H." <xlt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think I've selected a good idea for a startup that I'll work on
> > coding as soon as I get out of illegal captivity:
> >
> > - mainly a "StumbleUpon"-like site, where users get websites
> > recommended
> > - there is also a basic search capability for content within the
> > service
> > - unlimited storage of images, video, text, and hyperlinks is enabled
> > - users can build their own simple websites from these stored items
> > - an advertising placement service is included
> > - the simple websites generate ad revenue, and users get a share
> > - the websites don't need to be coded and aren't available on search
> > engines...
> > - ...but the websites can be searched for and found on my service
> >
> > I believe I have the best technology to be able to be competitive at
> > this, and since I wouldn't have to build anything in a factory or try
> > to work with any stubborn firms with "set policies" or tricky traps
> > to mess up innovators or product sellers, I could just build this
> > site, power it with the right AI and other tech, and try to make
> > money from it without having to deal with possibly unethical
> > corporate preferences and arbitrary traps that I wouldn't know about
> > if, e.g., trying to sell a flying remote control device or cheaper
> > big-screen TV.
> So you want to be a website provider that provides websites that aren't
> searchable by Google? Great idea mate, I'm sure it won't catch on.
> Maybe refuting the halting problem proofs would be a
> better way of wasting your time? Speak to Olcott, he was wasted half of
> his life on that endeavour.
>
> /Flibble

I'll answer this...the main idea isn't Geocities or search, it's the collaborative filtering tech that powers the website recommendation engine.

You can't know that the startup wouldn't work unless you were familiar with my technological competitive edges, as well as those of all possible competitors to my site.

Of course there's no guarantee it will be a success, but I think the odds are pretty good if I were not impeded by government actors. My math/tech edge is very excellent.

Part of the point is, there is now no serious way to make really good money in engineering/math other than: having a day job, starting a business that is cheap to start, and (quite literally) publishing a CMI problem (assuming the journals won't suppress your research, which you can never be sure of, so you should never risk publishing anything useful unless you're well-connected in academic circles, in which case you're probably at least somewhat unethical--you would have a special way to get your research published whereas average innovators don't have that capability right now.) You could maybe invent something and get investor funding, but that is also not a sure thing...how do you know which powerful investors are secretly plotting to take advantage of you or exploit you with things they know that you aren't in the loop on? The same thing is true of any non-DIY investor, including Y Combinator...how do you know that your backer hasn't secretly decided to hate you and plot against you as a favor to someone else with money or ideas?

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)