From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What free camera app do you use for a motion cam on your spare Android on your LAN?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 02:50:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 01:50 UTC

In a recent thread, I wrote up the post below, which contains useful links
for anyone wanting to use their spare Android device as a motion camera for
free, off the net, on your LAN, and without advertisements.

Having said that I have set up a motion cam in the past, I don't really
have a great solution... they're just OK... just barely adequate, in fact.

Do any of you have a _better_ solution than mine below for turning any
spare Android device into a free motion cam on your LAN without logins?

-----< cut here for the post about setting up motion cams >-----
Aoli wrote:

> Wold like cams that can work over wifi only using
> the LAN. I do not need remote viewing all the time.

I'd like to be able to help you but I can only offer general advice
regarding what I'd do (which may be different from most people).

For example, I'd never pay for anything, nor would I log into anything, and
it's not gonna happen that I'll put my camera feed on the Internet, and I'm
not gonna put up with ads unless I must, nor will I install GSF based apps.

Given those constraints, and then also caveating that I don't set up my
devices to be remote cameras all that often, I have, on occasion, set up a
spare Android phone as a remote wildlife cam over my own LAN.

Offhand, there are two ways that I can easily do that, one of which I
already mentioned in this thread, which is to set up screen mirroring using
vysor.exe or scrcpy.exe (which will also forward audio, e.g., sndcpy.exe).
<https://www.vysor.io/>
<https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
<https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy>

With these free mirroring tools, you don't even have to disable sleep as
you can wake the phone when you want to see what the camera lens is seeing.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FJMKYch/scrcpy21.jpg> Windows Drive: === Android

There are also dedicated wildlife cam apps which work while your phone is
on your LAN which means you can connect the phone storage to your PC so
that you can see the motion activated photos/videos it snaps in real time.

The app I use to mount my Android phone onto my PC as a drive letter is:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>

Note I use two servers because I mount both internal & external storage.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted

I've never found a fantastic peephole/motion/wildlife cam for Android, but
these will work as I've used them in the past and they're kind of just ok.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixcarrots.peephole>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remoteguard.phototrap>

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.mvainformatics.android.motiondetectorpro.activity>

I have a couple related motion cameras I don't remember where I got them.
<com.fxtech.huncam hunting camera I can't seem to find it on Google Play>
<om.sjm.camera I can't seem to find this one on Google Play either>

In summary, any Android device is a camera on your LAN if you set it up the
way I set it up which is seamless between the LAN & the phone & the PC.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information,
which in this case took me about twenty minutes to write up with links.