Peace was the way. -- Kirk, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate unknown

computers / comp.mail.sendmail / Re: .forward woes with SPF

SubjectAuthor
* .forward woes with SPFGrant Taylor
+* Re: .forward woes with SPFJohn Levine
|`* Re: .forward woes with SPFGrant Taylor
| +* Re: .forward woes with SPFJohn Levine
| |`* Re: .forward woes with SPFGrant Taylor
| | `- Re: .forward woes with SPFJohn Levine
| `* Re: .forward woes with SPFClaus Aßmann
|  `- Re: .forward woes with SPFGrant Taylor
`* Re: .forward woes with SPFAndrzej Adam Filip
 `- Re: .forward woes with SPFGrant Taylor

1
.forward woes with SPF

<spokjh$2ok$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.mail.sendmail#333

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: .forward woes with SPF
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:00:46 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 01:00 UTC

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any guidance / pro tips on how to deal
with SPF related issues when using .forward files.

I have email coming into a system from addresses that are protected with
SPF (-all). The inbound email makes it to the mailbox that is the
original recipient. The problem arises when I add .forward to the mix.
The new .forward recipient is hosted by a system that honors strict SPF
checks, and as such rejects the forwarded message because it violates
the original sender's domain's strict SPF (-all).

I /think/ that I want to utilize some form of masquerading on the
intermediate system that hosts the original recipient. But I'm not sure
/if/ masquerading is what I want, much less how to configure it to
masquerade for any and all from addresses. (I'd rather not need to
explicitly list original source domains in a game of whack-a-mole.)

I feel like I would describe this as SNAT on the intermediate system if
I were to borrow IP networking terms.

Does anyone have any guidance / pro tips?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spop39$17pm$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.mail.sendmail#334

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: .forward woes with SPF
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 02:17:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 02:17 UTC

It appears that Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> said:
>I was wondering if anyone had any guidance / pro tips on how to deal
>with SPF related issues when using .forward files.
>
>I have email coming into a system from addresses that are protected with
>SPF (-all).

They are telling you not to forward their mail. So don't.

I realize their advice may be ill-considered or ignorant, but so be it.

FWIW I have largely given up on forwarding and tell my users who want
to get their mail somewhere else to set up their other provider to
poll their mailbox here.

I realize there is a thing called SRS which is supposed to fix the SPF
forwarding problem, but I haven't found it very useful in practice, since
it turn SPF fails into DMARC fails.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spoqi3$7l5$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=335&group=comp.mail.sendmail#335

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:42:24 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 02:42 UTC

On 12/19/21 7:17 PM, John Levine wrote:
> They are telling you not to forward their mail. So don't.

The thing that I left out, because I didn't think it mattered, is that
I'm all three parties in this situation, original source, original
destination, and forwarded destination. So ... yes, but no.

> I realize their advice may be ill-considered or ignorant, but so be it.

Chuckle.

> FWIW I have largely given up on forwarding and tell my users who want
> to get their mail somewhere else to set up their other provider to
> poll their mailbox here.

Telling myself to poll a different mailbox is ... let's go with a
non-starter.

> I realize there is a thing called SRS which is supposed to fix the SPF
> forwarding problem, but I haven't found it very useful in practice,
> since it turn SPF fails into DMARC fails.

I've actually got SRS working with Sendmail and it doesn't make any real
difference in this case.

More details on the mail flow are as follows:

1) gtaylor@domain1.example sends a message to gtaylor@domain2.example.
2) gtaylor@domain2.example .forwards to host2@domain3.example.

gtaylor@domain1.example could just as easily be <something>@gmail.com as
both domain1.example and gmail.com have similar (but not identicle)
restrictions.

domain1.example and domain3.example are hosted on the same host.
domain2.example uses the same host as the inbound MX from the world and
mailertable rotues to the internal host.

So ...

1) Something (gtaylor@domain1.example / <something>@gmail.com) sends an
email to gtaylor@domain2.example which relays through the public host on
it's way to the internal host.
2) The internal host receives the email from something to
gtaylor@domain2.example.
3) The internal host .forwards the message to host2@domain3.example.
4) The public host rejects the message from something
(gtaylor@domain1.example / <something>@gmail.com) because the message
runs afoul of SPF (-all).

A little more background: I have many systems that .forward messages
from them to special addresses on my main mail server. E.g
<REDACTED>@domain2.example .forwards to
domain2@<REDACTED>.domain1.example. This means that systems I have
configured .forward messages from cron and the likes to my central account.

I just started testing something wherein email from the public Internet
was going into my address on one of my hosts, where it dutifully
forwarded to the host's sub-domain address on the main mail server.
Except ... SPF.

Seeing as how I have full control of the leafe systems in question which
are .forwarding to my central account, I am quite content if they
masquerade everything that leaves the system to appear to be from me /
my address on said leafe system.

I could do what I want by enhancing .forward to pipe into a program that
would turn the message into an RFC 822 attachment to a new email. But
that seems ... overkill.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<sporkn$1ibe$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=comp.mail.sendmail#336

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:00:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:00 UTC

According to Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>:
>Telling myself to poll a different mailbox is ... let's go with a
>non-starter.

Oh, if you're forwarding to yourself that makes it a lot easier.

Now you know why we all ignore SPF -all except for the edge case
of an SPF record that only says -all for a domain that sends no
mail.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spot2i$ht9$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=comp.mail.sendmail#337

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:25:19 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:25 UTC

On 12/19/21 8:00 PM, John Levine wrote:
> Oh, if you're forwarding to yourself that makes it a lot easier.

Does it? Does it fundamentally alter the situation? I don't think it does.

> Now you know why we all ignore SPF -all except for the edge case
> of an SPF record that only says -all for a domain that sends no
> mail.

You say /now/ as if I didn't grok this before. I /did/ grok it.

Note: When I asked about masquerading the (envelope and / or header)
sender, I was conveying that I'm exploring /how/ to solve the end to end
delivery conundrum /within/ the established constraints.

I say "conundrum" as opposed to "problem" because I believe that things
are working the way that they are supposed to. I have zero desire to
alter my SPF (-all) stance. I'd much rather alter the message so that
it no longer ran afoul of SPF. Hence masquerading ~> altering the from
address to be the intermediate account.

I /feel/ like and /want/ /to/ /believe/ -- thank you Fox Mulder -- that
there is a way to achieve my goal.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spp5t1$7d6$1@news.misty.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=338&group=comp.mail.sendmail#338

From: INVALID_...@esmtp.org (Claus Aßmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:55:45 -0500 (EST)
Sender: <ml+sendmail(-no-copies-please)@esmtp.org>
Originator: ca@x2.esmtp.org (Claus Assmann)
 by: Claus Aßmann - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 05:55 UTC

Grant Taylor wrote:

> The thing that I left out, because I didn't think it mattered, is that
> I'm all three parties in this situation, original source, original
> destination, and forwarded destination. So ... yes, but no.

So why don't you disable SPF tests when mail is coming from
one of your own hosts?

Maybe you should reconsider in which situations SPF might
actually be "useful".

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spp7kr$f97$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=comp.mail.sendmail#339

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:25:44 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:25 UTC

On 12/19/21 10:55 PM, Claus Aßmann wrote:
> So why don't you disable SPF tests when mail is coming from
> one of your own hosts?

Because $REASONS. Let's agree to disagree and move past is SPF a Good
Thing™ or a Bad Thing™.

> Maybe you should reconsider in which situations SPF might actually be
> "useful".

I think that SPF is doing /exactly/ what it's supposed to based on what
I've asked it to do. Said another way, SPF is doing what it is
configured and intended to do in this situation.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<anfi+c25wodkslf-lck1@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=comp.mail.sendmail#343

From: anf...@onet.eu (Andrzej Adam Filip)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:00:08 +0000 (UTC)
sha1:KjhmCKNBk+zF2oG9JYkivBDVL4k=
 by: Andrzej Adam Filip - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:00 UTC

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any guidance / pro tips on how to deal
> with SPF related issues when using .forward files.
>
> I have email coming into a system from addresses that are protected
> with SPF (-all). The inbound email makes it to the mailbox that is
> the original recipient. The problem arises when I add .forward to the
> mix. The new .forward recipient is hosted by a system that honors
> strict SPF checks, and as such rejects the forwarded message because
> it violates the original sender's domain's strict SPF (-all).
>
> I /think/ that I want to utilize some form of masquerading on the
> intermediate system that hosts the original recipient. But I'm not
> sure /if/ masquerading is what I want, much less how to configure it
> to masquerade for any and all from addresses. (I'd rather not need to
> explicitly list original source domains in a game of whack-a-mole.)
>
> I feel like I would describe this as SNAT on the intermediate system
> if I were to borrow IP networking terms.
>
> Does anyone have any guidance / pro tips?

My start suggestion (from a small Linux system perspective):
Use per OS account procmail script for forwarding.
It will change envelope sender address to local one.

If for some reasons it does not fit your need state why.

--
[Andrew] Andrzej A. Filip

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spqfcm$p3h$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=344&group=comp.mail.sendmail#344

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 10:44:04 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:44 UTC

On 12/20/21 1:00 AM, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> My start suggestion (from a small Linux system perspective): Use per
> OS account procmail script for forwarding. It will change envelope
> sender address to local one.

Calling some sort of program via .forward or procmail seems to be
floating to the surface.

> If for some reasons it does not fit your need state why.

I've not tried it yet. The few but I don't wanna things that come to
mind are:

- It's per user and doesn't address multiple users on the system.
- Additional dependencies - procmail isn't installed on all the
systems I would use this on.
- It leaves me wondering if this is strictly necessary. -- I've not
yet found something I wanted to do that couldn't be handled by Sendmail
itself. This makes me question if there truly is no Sendmail solution
or if I simply haven't found it yet. With the latter being more likely.

If I'm going to create a forwarding agent, I'm likely going to do it
once and have it do multiple things:
- Attach the incoming message as an RFC 822 attachment.
- Use the Auto-Submitted: header.
- Make sure to do loop avoidance.
- Log what it does.
- Save received messages somewhere. -- Should probably purge things
after a while too.
- Use SMTP Authentication to send directly to my own server.
- Use STARTTLS.

This is quickly turning into quite a bit more than just change $SETTINGS
to do what you want.

But the mail forwarding agent does comply with my belief that email
addresses are terminal endpoints; starting and ending, for messages. A
la. mailing lists receive a message and generate a new one substantively
based on the incoming message.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: .forward woes with SPF

<spqprt$17u2$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=345&group=comp.mail.sendmail#345

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:42:37 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:42 UTC

It appears that Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> said:
>I say "conundrum" as opposed to "problem" because I believe that things
>are working the way that they are supposed to. I have zero desire to
>alter my SPF (-all) stance. I'd much rather alter the message so that
>it no longer ran afoul of SPF. Hence masquerading ~> altering the from
>address to be the intermediate account.

That's SRS. It seems to me to be swatting a fly with a chain saw
but chacun a son gout.

http://www.open-spf.org/srs/