Well, Jim, I'm not much of an actor either.

devel / comp.theory / Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

SubjectAuthor
* Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Mr Flibble
+* Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Richard Damon
|`* Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Mr Flibble
| +- Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Richard Damon
| `- Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Malcolm McLean
`- Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?Daniel Pehoushek

1
Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<20220605222913.00002734@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33872&group=comp.theory#33872

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 22:29:13 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 21:29 UTC

Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you have
an infinitely precise form of measurement?

I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me, nor
you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its self-aware
computable mathematical sub-structures.

Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.

Infinity kills God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

I need another gin. :D

/Flibble

P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.

Re: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<IA9nK.88241$J0r9.53092@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33875&group=comp.theory#33875

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:52:39 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 21:52 UTC

On 6/5/22 5:29 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you have
> an infinitely precise form of measurement?
>
> I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me, nor
> you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its self-aware
> computable mathematical sub-structures.
>
> Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.
>
> Infinity kills God.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
>
> I need another gin. :D
>
> /Flibble
>
> P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.

Yes. At least if you are able to precisely measure integral lengths
pieces of string.

Measure precise strings of length 3, 4 and 5 units of length and pull
them to form a right triangle.

Next take two exactly 1 cm length pieces of string and move out of those
from the right angle along the two sides.

Now, make a piece of string go from the ends of those two strings.

That string will be EXACTLY square root 2 cm long.

Of course, in real life we can NEVER measure anything to infinite
precision, so the assumption of an infinitely precise form of
measurement puts you outside the domain of what can actually be done,
and into the realm of though experiments anyway.

And yes, To our knowledge, the physical universe seems finite, so
infinity is outside the physical universe and, at least for use, outside
the ability of the physical universe. And that is TRUELY finite, as in a
finite number of possible states. There seems to be a finite limit to
the ultimate size, and a finite limit to how fine you can divide things
into, so there is literally a finite number of points in space that
things can be at (be it a VERY large number).

This doesn't say that God doesn't exist, as God is also outside the
physical universe, as the universe is his creation.

We, being by nature finite, do not fully understand the infinite, so
there WILL be mysteries that we can not fathom in trying to fully think
about the infinite.

Re: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<20220605231608.00003dd6@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33877&group=comp.theory#33877

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 23:16:08 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 22:16 UTC

On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:52:39 -0400
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 6/5/22 5:29 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you
> > have an infinitely precise form of measurement?
> >
> > I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me,
> > nor you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its
> > self-aware computable mathematical sub-structures.
> >
> > Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.
> >
> > Infinity kills God.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
> >
> > I need another gin. :D
> >
> > /Flibble
> >
> > P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.
> >

> Yes. At least if you are able to precisely measure integral lengths
> pieces of string.
>
> Measure precise strings of length 3, 4 and 5 units of length and pull
> them to form a right triangle.
>
> Next take two exactly 1 cm length pieces of string and move out of
> those from the right angle along the two sides.
>
> Now, make a piece of string go from the ends of those two strings.
>
> That string will be EXACTLY square root 2 cm long.
>

> Of course, in real life we can NEVER measure anything to infinite
> precision, so the assumption of an infinitely precise form of
> measurement puts you outside the domain of what can actually be done,
> and into the realm of though experiments anyway.
>
> And yes, To our knowledge, the physical universe seems finite, so
> infinity is outside the physical universe and, at least for use,
> outside the ability of the physical universe. And that is TRUELY
> finite, as in a finite number of possible states. There seems to be a
> finite limit to the ultimate size, and a finite limit to how fine you
> can divide things into, so there is literally a finite number of
> points in space that things can be at (be it a VERY large number).
>
> This doesn't say that God doesn't exist, as God is also outside the
> physical universe, as the universe is his creation.

You are asserting there is a God based on no evidence. Nobody knows
if there is a god or not and the problem of creation disappears if MUH
is true.

/Flibble

Re: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<EkanK.12219$NAs.6267@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33878&group=comp.theory#33878

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 18:43:46 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 22:43 UTC

On 6/5/22 6:16 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:52:39 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/22 5:29 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>>> Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you
>>> have an infinitely precise form of measurement?
>>>
>>> I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me,
>>> nor you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its
>>> self-aware computable mathematical sub-structures.
>>>
>>> Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.
>>>
>>> Infinity kills God.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
>>>
>>> I need another gin. :D
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>
>>> P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.
>>>

>> Yes. At least if you are able to precisely measure integral lengths
>> pieces of string.
>>
>> Measure precise strings of length 3, 4 and 5 units of length and pull
>> them to form a right triangle.
>>
>> Next take two exactly 1 cm length pieces of string and move out of
>> those from the right angle along the two sides.
>>
>> Now, make a piece of string go from the ends of those two strings.
>>
>> That string will be EXACTLY square root 2 cm long.
>>

>> Of course, in real life we can NEVER measure anything to infinite
>> precision, so the assumption of an infinitely precise form of
>> measurement puts you outside the domain of what can actually be done,
>> and into the realm of though experiments anyway.
>>
>> And yes, To our knowledge, the physical universe seems finite, so
>> infinity is outside the physical universe and, at least for use,
>> outside the ability of the physical universe. And that is TRUELY
>> finite, as in a finite number of possible states. There seems to be a
>> finite limit to the ultimate size, and a finite limit to how fine you
>> can divide things into, so there is literally a finite number of
>> points in space that things can be at (be it a VERY large number).
>>
>> This doesn't say that God doesn't exist, as God is also outside the
>> physical universe, as the universe is his creation.
>
> You are asserting there is a God based on no evidence. Nobody knows
> if there is a god or not and the problem of creation disappears if MUH
> is true.
>
> /Flibble

That isn't an assertion that God exists, just that this fact (The
universe being finite) doesn't preclude that possibility.

Re: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<31e35368-283a-4bee-a77f-df570871184fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33880&group=comp.theory#33880

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 15:46:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 22:46 UTC

On Sunday, 5 June 2022 at 23:16:11 UTC+1, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 17:52:39 -0400
> Richard Damon <Ric...@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
> > On 6/5/22 5:29 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > > Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you
> > > have an infinitely precise form of measurement?
> > >
> > > I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me,
> > > nor you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its
> > > self-aware computable mathematical sub-structures.
> > >
> > > Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.
> > >
> > > Infinity kills God.
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
> > >
> > > I need another gin. :D
> > >
> > > /Flibble
> > >
> > > P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.
> > >

> > Yes. At least if you are able to precisely measure integral lengths
> > pieces of string.
> >
> > Measure precise strings of length 3, 4 and 5 units of length and pull
> > them to form a right triangle.
> >
> > Next take two exactly 1 cm length pieces of string and move out of
> > those from the right angle along the two sides.
> >
> > Now, make a piece of string go from the ends of those two strings.
> >
> > That string will be EXACTLY square root 2 cm long.
> >

> > Of course, in real life we can NEVER measure anything to infinite
> > precision, so the assumption of an infinitely precise form of
> > measurement puts you outside the domain of what can actually be done,
> > and into the realm of though experiments anyway.
> >
> > And yes, To our knowledge, the physical universe seems finite, so
> > infinity is outside the physical universe and, at least for use,
> > outside the ability of the physical universe. And that is TRUELY
> > finite, as in a finite number of possible states. There seems to be a
> > finite limit to the ultimate size, and a finite limit to how fine you
> > can divide things into, so there is literally a finite number of
> > points in space that things can be at (be it a VERY large number).
> >
> > This doesn't say that God doesn't exist, as God is also outside the
> > physical universe, as the universe is his creation.
> You are asserting there is a God based on no evidence. Nobody knows
> if there is a god or not and the problem of creation disappears if MUH
> is true.

That's a common misunderstanding of the modern Christian doctrine of
creation.
Before religious thinkers were very sophisticated, it was supposed that
creation was an "event". You had a time line running from minus infinity
to infinity. God made the world at a point on that line, and will destroy it
at another point, supposed to be not too far into the future in relation
to time already passed.

However the modern (non-primitive, not very modern in the historical sense)
understanding is that God maintains the world in being. There's a continuous
chain of causes which have nothing to do with time (light causes you to
see, photons cause light, when we ask what causes photons we are deep into
physics, and when we run out of physical explanations, God causes whatever
we have at the end of our chain of reasoning to be). All such chains must
terminate somewhere.
This isn't an "argument for God". You can equally well argue that ultimately
things "just are". Or that there is a sub photon and a sub-sub-sub photon and
so, infinitely, and we terminate when we run out of technology.
However it's important to understand that creation involves "sustaining in being".

Re: Do irrational numbers exist beyond the abstract?

<0054c840-4ff5-4dfb-8b27-35668796427en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33882&group=comp.theory#33882

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 15:59:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: pehoush...@gmail.com (Daniel Pehoushek)
 by: Daniel Pehoushek - Sun, 5 Jun 2022 22:59 UTC

On Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 5:29:18 PM UTC-4, Mr Flibble wrote:
> Is it possible to measure a sqrt(2) cm piece of string even if you have
> an infinitely precise form of measurement?
>
> I suggest no, unless, reality is mathematics and that neither me, nor
> you, actually exist outside of a simulated universe and its self-aware
> computable mathematical sub-structures.
>
> Infinity can only exist in reality if reality is mathematics.
>
> Infinity kills God.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
>
> I need another gin. :D
>
> /Flibble
>
> P.S. this post and other recent posts may have been a troll.

reality is within the solvable real fragment of mathematus
mathematus only uses the mom day alphabet
0abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw yz
0123456789 or the ten solids
you have to build the dot
daniel2380++