From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Subject: Ads in Outlook
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 15:34:29 GMT
 by: Retrograde - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:34 UTC

From the «please give me more ads» department:
Feed: OSnews
Title: Microsoft sneaks ads into the new Outlook for Windows
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 15:56:42 -0500
Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/138520/microsoft-sneaks-ads-into-the-new-outlook-for-windows/

The migration from the classic Mail and Calendar app to the new Outlook app[1]
is in full swing already. Microsoft announced the deprecation of the classic
apps[2] in favor of a new Outlook app in June 2023. It introduced the new
Outlook app to Insider builds a month later and announced that it would
enforce the migration in early 2024.

Not all users are migrated at this point. Those who have been migrated already
or installed the Outlook app directly, may notice several differences between
the new Outlook app and the classic Mail app.

One of the main differences turns an ad-free email experience into one with
ads. You may see ads in the inbox in the new Outlook.
↫ Martin Brinkmann[3]

Ads disguised as emails in your inbox. Microsoft will not rest until Windows
resembles Times Square. What a trash fire of an operating system.

Links:
[1]: https://www.ghacks.net/2024/01/17/report-microsoft-starts-mail-and-calendar-app-migration-to-the-inferior-outlook-app/ (link)
[2]: https://www.ghacks.net/2023/06/17/say-goodbye-to-windows-mail-and-calendar-app-and-welcome-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ (link)
[3]: https://www.ghacks.net/2024/02/02/microsoft-sneaks-ads-into-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ (link)

Re: Ads in Outlook

<uptk6s$umuk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3386&group=comp.misc#3386

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Ads in Outlook
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:45:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:45 UTC

Retrograde <fungus@amongus.com.invalid> wrote:
> One of the main differences turns an ad-free email experience into
> one with ads. You may see ads in the inbox in the new Outlook. ↫
> Martin Brinkmann[3]
>
> Ads disguised as emails in your inbox. Microsoft will not rest until
> Windows resembles Times Square. What a trash fire of an operating
> system.

The siren song of "ad revenue" is all but impossible for any company to
resist. The web showed that anywhere there was user attention there
was opportunity to listen to the siren song of add revenue. Now ever
more locations are realizing that "if we just put ads in here, we can
listen to that siren song as well". With the end result that ads end
up infesting nearly anything.

Meanwhile, those of us using mutt to read/reply to our email enjoy as
'add free' of an experience as we can (I'm overlooking the occasional
SPAM that isn't caught by SPAM filters).

Re: Ads in Outlook

<uptm8a$ueb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3387&group=comp.misc#3387

From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:20:25 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:20 UTC

On 06.02.2024 um 15:34 Uhr Retrograde wrote:

> Ads disguised as emails in your inbox. Microsoft will not rest until
> Windows resembles Times Square. What a trash fire of an operating
> system.

People seem to like that.
If not, they would switch to another OS.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: Ads in Outlook

<uptoji$vhv5$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3389&group=comp.misc#3389

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:00:34 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:00 UTC

On 2/6/24 09:34, Retrograde wrote:
> From the «please give me more ads» department:
> Feed: OSnews
> Title: Microsoft sneaks ads into the new Outlook for Windows
> Author: Thom Holwerda
> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 15:56:42 -0500
> Link: https://www.osnews.com/story/138520/microsoft-sneaks-ads-into-the-new-outlook-for-windows/
>

> The migration from the classic Mail and Calendar app to the new Outlook app[1]
> is in full swing already. Microsoft announced the deprecation of the classic
> apps[2] in favor of a new Outlook app in June 2023. It introduced the new
> Outlook app to Insider builds a month later and announced that it would
> enforce the migration in early 2024.
>
> Not all users are migrated at this point. Those who have been migrated already
> or installed the Outlook app directly, may notice several differences between
> the new Outlook app and the classic Mail app.
>
> One of the main differences turns an ad-free email experience into one with
> ads. You may see ads in the inbox in the new Outlook.
> ↫ Martin Brinkmann[3]
>
> Ads disguised as emails in your inbox. Microsoft will not rest until Windows
> resembles Times Square. What a trash fire of an operating system.
>
> Links:
> [1]: https://www.ghacks.net/2024/01/17/report-microsoft-starts-mail-and-calendar-app-migration-to-the-inferior-outlook-app/ (link)
> [2]: https://www.ghacks.net/2023/06/17/say-goodbye-to-windows-mail-and-calendar-app-and-welcome-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ (link)
> [3]: https://www.ghacks.net/2024/02/02/microsoft-sneaks-ads-into-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ (link)

Doesn't mail already have ads? Sure, some might go to spam but still..
quite a bit already.

Re: Ads in Outlook

<65c2a0d5@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3391&group=comp.misc#3391

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 7 Feb 2024 07:12:53 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:12 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> Doesn't mail already have ads? Sure, some might go to spam but still..
> quite a bit already.

Much like Usenet. But if a news server started inserting ads in
with the posts read by its users via NNTP, I'm sure those users
would disappear _very_ quickly to alternative servers.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: Ads in Outlook

<upu90s$12hn8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3394&group=comp.misc#3394

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:40:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 21:40 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't mail already have ads? Sure, some might go to spam but still..
>> quite a bit already.
>
> Much like Usenet. But if a news server started inserting ads in
> with the posts read by its users via NNTP, I'm sure those users
> would disappear _very_ quickly to alternative servers.

This change is worse than "server is inserting ads".

This would be if your tin newsreader binary, after an version upgrade,
suddenly started inserting ads for you to view while while you were
browsing a newsgroup.

The MS change is to have outlook, the client program, start showing ads
to its users.

Re: Ads in Outlook

<upufi0$13kt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3395&group=comp.misc#3395

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 00:32:16 +0100
 by: immibis - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:32 UTC

On 6/02/24 22:12, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>>
>> Doesn't mail already have ads? Sure, some might go to spam but still..
>> quite a bit already.
>
> Much like Usenet. But if a news server started inserting ads in
> with the posts read by its users via NNTP, I'm sure those users
> would disappear _very_ quickly to alternative servers.

You think far too highly of users.