Computer programmers do it byte by byte.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

SubjectAuthor
* The Outlook in MSoft365Peter Jason
`* The Outlook in MSoft365...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
 `* The Outlook in MSoft365Peter Jason
  +* The Outlook in MSoft365Graham J
  |`- The Outlook in MSoft365Peter Jason
  +- The Outlook in MSoft365Char Jackson
  `* The Outlook in MSoft365...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
   `* The Outlook in MSoft365Peter Jason
    `- The Outlook in MSoft365...w¡ñ§±¤ñ

1
The Outlook in MSoft365

<adqtkihmdo85v599vmlupt3dp3upo060tq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3406&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3406

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: The Outlook in MSoft365
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 13:41:42 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 02:41 UTC

Is "Quick Step" in the new Outlook the same as "Macro" in the old?

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<uin199$39cs4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3407&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3407

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: The Outlook in MSoft365
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:51:52 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 04:51 UTC

Peter Jason wrote on 11/10/23 7:41 PM:

> Is "Quick Step" in the new Outlook the same as "Macro" in the old?

No.

Quick Steps{QS} is more akin to a rule or a bundled/nested group of rules.

In M365 Outlook(desktop client)
The base(default) QS are:
Move to Folder
Categorize and Move
Flag and Move
New email to:
Forward to:
New Meeting with:
Custom
- the Custom option provides the ability to create additional QS and
its related action(25 are available)

In Windows 11 mail app(on this device, Win11 Pro) configured/enabled to
use the 'Outlook(new) replacement app:
- Pre-configured Quick Steps by design are not present(i.e. user needs
to create them)
- Configuration can be found in the Outlook(new) app vis
Settings/Mail/Quick Steps
=> On first use a notice states "Quick steps are like rules but
applied manually per message. With them, you can take multiple actions on
a message in one click."
=> When creating a new QS in the Windows app - the process is to
provide a name for the QS and select an 'Action' - similar to the desktop
Outlook multiple and similar/common 'actions' can be created. One can
also, for a created QS, add a description and assign a shortcut.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<ipb2lip9s5mv1p7g85tnc8pb0v6ftfpkta@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3423&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3423

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:06:18 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 20:06 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:51:52 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Peter Jason wrote on 11/10/23 7:41 PM:
>>
>> Is "Quick Step" in the new Outlook the same as "Macro" in the old?
>>
>No.
>
>Quick Steps{QS} is more akin to a rule or a bundled/nested group of rules.
>
>In M365 Outlook(desktop client)
>The base(default) QS are:
>Move to Folder
>Categorize and Move
>Flag and Move
>New email to:
>Forward to:
>New Meeting with:
>Custom
> - the Custom option provides the ability to create additional QS and
>its related action(25 are available)
>
>In Windows 11 mail app(on this device, Win11 Pro) configured/enabled to
>use the 'Outlook(new) replacement app:
> - Pre-configured Quick Steps by design are not present(i.e. user needs
>to create them)
> - Configuration can be found in the Outlook(new) app vis
>Settings/Mail/Quick Steps
> => On first use a notice states "Quick steps are like rules but
>applied manually per message. With them, you can take multiple actions on
>a message in one click."
> => When creating a new QS in the Windows app - the process is to
>provide a name for the QS and select an 'Action' - similar to the desktop
>Outlook multiple and similar/common 'actions' can be created. One can
>also, for a created QS, add a description and assign a shortcut.

Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
find it.
It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
the job?

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<uirh1p$849g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3424

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 21:45:08 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 21:45 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
> find it.
> It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
> folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
> Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
> the job?

Drag and drop?

Have the target folder open in one window, and outlook in another.
Easier with a big screen or multiple monitors.

--
Graham J

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<jsq2li10cmhbte5lerdsust8b84ic5shkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3425

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:28:09 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 00:28 UTC

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:06:18 +1100, Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
>find it.

Google suggests going to File, Options, Customize Ribbon, then put a check in
the box for Developer. Exit back to the main Outlook interface and you should
have a Developer menu now. Select it and you'll see buttons for Macros, the
Visual Basic Editor, etc.

As for the specific macro that you want, you'll either have to create it or find
it on the web and install it.

You may have to, or want to, go to File, Options, Trust Center, Trust Center
Settings, Macro Settings, and select the macro security option that works best
for you.

All of those suggestions are said to work with Outlook 365, but they also work
with Outlook 2019 and 2016.

>It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
>folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
>Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
>the job?

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<uirtdc$ab3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3426

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:16:26 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 01:16 UTC

Peter Jason wrote on 11/12/23 1:06 PM:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:51:52 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason wrote on 11/10/23 7:41 PM:
>>>
>>> Is "Quick Step" in the new Outlook the same as "Macro" in the old?
>>>
>> No.
>>
>> Quick Steps{QS} is more akin to a rule or a bundled/nested group of rules.
>>
>> In M365 Outlook(desktop client)
>> The base(default) QS are:
>> Move to Folder
>> Categorize and Move
>> Flag and Move
>> New email to:
>> Forward to:
>> New Meeting with:
>> Custom
>> - the Custom option provides the ability to create additional QS and
>> its related action(25 are available)
>>
>> In Windows 11 mail app(on this device, Win11 Pro) configured/enabled to
>> use the 'Outlook(new) replacement app:
>> - Pre-configured Quick Steps by design are not present(i.e. user needs
>> to create them)
>> - Configuration can be found in the Outlook(new) app vis
>> Settings/Mail/Quick Steps
>> => On first use a notice states "Quick steps are like rules but
>> applied manually per message. With them, you can take multiple actions on
>> a message in one click."
>> => When creating a new QS in the Windows app - the process is to
>> provide a name for the QS and select an 'Action' - similar to the desktop
>> Outlook multiple and similar/common 'actions' can be created. One can
>> also, for a created QS, add a description and assign a shortcut.
>
> Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
> find it.
> It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
> folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
> Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
> the job?

That's a bit different than Quick Steps :)

In M365 Office, Macro features are on the Developer tab which is located
when enabled on Ribbon's Main Tab area(File, Home, Send/Receive, Folder,
etc.).
- if the Developer tab is not present in Outlook, the tab needs to be
enabled by customizing the Ribbon and placing a check in the Main tabs(rt
dialog box) item for Developer. Iirc, by design, the tab may be
disabled(unchecked).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<6l03lit6gbmbm0vop5qo26in5kbhocn6di@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3427

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:03:44 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 02:03 UTC

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 21:45:08 +0000, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Peter Jason wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
>> find it.
>> It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
>> folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
>> Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
>> the job?
>>
>Drag and drop?
>
>Have the target folder open in one window, and outlook in another.
>Easier with a big screen or multiple monitors.

Many thanks: I do have a wider screen now (AOC Q32V3S/WS) and the
drag/drop does work, if one selects on the attachment logo in the
reading pane, but not on the entries in the subject pane. I'll have
to go back and copy over the older ones manually.

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<p613litdr003oom7riqs4iqg4kn1dsp170@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3428&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3428

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:11:12 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 02:11 UTC

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:16:26 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Peter Jason wrote on 11/12/23 1:06 PM:
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:51:52 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> Quick Steps{QS} is more akin to a rule or a bundled/nested group of rules.
>>>
>>> In M365 Outlook(desktop client)
>>> The base(default) QS are:
>>> Move to Folder
>>> Categorize and Move
>>> Flag and Move
>>> New email to:
>>> Forward to:
>>> New Meeting with:
>>> Custom
>>> - the Custom option provides the ability to create additional QS and
>>> its related action(25 are available)
>>>
>>> In Windows 11 mail app(on this device, Win11 Pro) configured/enabled to
>>> use the 'Outlook(new) replacement app:
>>> - Pre-configured Quick Steps by design are not present(i.e. user needs
>>> to create them)
>>> - Configuration can be found in the Outlook(new) app vis
>>> Settings/Mail/Quick Steps
>>> => On first use a notice states "Quick steps are like rules but
>>> applied manually per message. With them, you can take multiple actions on
>>> a message in one click."
>>> => When creating a new QS in the Windows app - the process is to
>>> provide a name for the QS and select an 'Action' - similar to the desktop
>>> Outlook multiple and similar/common 'actions' can be created. One can
>>> also, for a created QS, add a description and assign a shortcut.
>>
>> Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
>> find it.
>> It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
>> folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
>> Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
>> the job?
>>
>That's a bit different than Quick Steps :)
>
>In M365 Office, Macro features are on the Developer tab which is located
>when enabled on Ribbon's Main Tab area(File, Home, Send/Receive, Folder,
>etc.).
> - if the Developer tab is not present in Outlook, the tab needs to be
>enabled by customizing the Ribbon and placing a check in the Main tabs(rt
>dialog box) item for Developer. Iirc, by design, the tab may be
>disabled(unchecked).

Thank you to all. I can find the "Developer tab" on the other Outlook
version on my machine....

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build
16.0.16924.20054) 32-bit

.....but not on the latest one.

Also the "Macro" sends me straight to the VBA screen. I thought a
Macro records actions to be repeated via the Macro thereafter. That's
how I use the Macros in Access which I can convert to VBA if required.

Re: The Outlook in MSoft365

<uit47b$l4i3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3429

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 05:18:49 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:18 UTC

Peter Jason wrote on 11/12/23 7:11 PM:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:16:26 -0700, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Jason wrote on 11/12/23 1:06 PM:

>>> Thanks, I'm really looking for the Macro button in MSoft365 but cannot
>>> find it.
>>> It will help us here to save attachments from Outlook to specific
>>> folders in Windows Explorer, either with a click or copy/sent to.
>>> Saving invoices thus will save lots of filing. Is there an AddIn for
>>> the job?
>>>
>> That's a bit different than Quick Steps :)
>>
>> In M365 Office, Macro features are on the Developer tab which is located
>> when enabled on Ribbon's Main Tab area(File, Home, Send/Receive, Folder,
>> etc.).
>> - if the Developer tab is not present in Outlook, the tab needs to be
>> enabled by customizing the Ribbon and placing a check in the Main tabs(rt
>> dialog box) item for Developer. Iirc, by design, the tab may be
>> disabled(unchecked).
>
> Thank you to all. I can find the "Developer tab" on the other Outlook
> version on my machine....
>
> Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build
> 16.0.16924.20054) 32-bit
>
> ....but not on the latest one.
>
> Also the "Macro" sends me straight to the VBA screen. I thought a
> Macro records actions to be repeated via the Macro thereafter. That's
> how I use the Macros in Access which I can convert to VBA if required.

Outlook(and PowerPoint) does not support/provide 'Macro Record' capability.

--