"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

computers / news.software.nntp / Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

SubjectAuthor
* Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)U.ee
+* Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)jdd
|`- Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)U.ee
+* Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)711 Spooky Mart
|`* Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)U.ee
| `- Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)Martin Burmester
`* Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)Julien ÉLIE
 `* Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)U.ee
  `- Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)yamo'

1
Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<smol7e$2rdk$1@news.usenet.ee>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=335&group=news.software.nntp#335

From: adm...@invalid.usenet.ee (U.ee)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Subject: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:22:22 +0200
 by: U.ee - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 15:22 UTC

Hello!

There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
some update is nice.
This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
so 12. august to 10. november.

First, generic view, based on paths in my server:
http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-n-20211010.png

Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
some hash based, probably client identifiers.

Little bit different view, same data:
http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-t-20211010.png

That was done with twopi from Graphviz.

If you want PDF version, replace png in url with pdf.

Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good
solution.
For making more readable picture I looked TOP25 from Anthologeek TOP1000
and made map purely for those sites and their relations:

http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-top25-n-20211010.png

--
Best regards
U.ee

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<61900743$0$20250$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=336&group=news.software.nntp#336

Subject: Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
From: jdd...@dodin.org (jdd)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 19:43:15 +0100
 by: jdd - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:43 UTC

Le 13/11/2021 à 16:22, U.ee a écrit :
> Hello!
>

> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
> some update is nice.
> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
> so 12. august to 10. november.

thanks, that's a web :-))

jdd
--
http://dodin.org
http://valeriedodin.com

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<smsvb7$vav$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=news.software.nntp#337

From: 711...@spooky.mart (711 Spooky Mart)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 00:41:31 -0600
 by: 711 Spooky Mart - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 06:41 UTC

On 11/13/21 9:22 AM, U.ee wrote:
[...]

> Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
>  I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
> some hash based, probably client identifiers.

[...] GraphViz is handy.

> Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
> different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good

[...]

CmapTools has a great auto-layout generator. You can set it to use
curvy splines instead of straight lines. I don't know if it can import
..dot files from graphviz.

DotToXML can be used to convert .dot files to GraphML for yEd graph editor.

Maybe one of these would be less onerous for generating prettier output.

--
──┏━━━━┓──┏━━┓───┏━━┓── ┌────────────────────────┐ ┌────────┐
──┗━━┓─┃──┗┓─┃───┗┓─┃── │ Spooky Mart [chan] 711 │ │ always │

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<sn0mq6$299h$1@news.usenet.ee>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=339&group=news.software.nntp#339

From: adm...@invalid.usenet.ee (U.ee)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 18:38:31 +0200
 by: U.ee - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 16:38 UTC

On 15.11.21 08:41, 711 Spooky Mart wrote:
> On 11/13/21 9:22 AM, U.ee wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
>>  I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
>> some hash based, probably client identifiers.
>
> [...] GraphViz is handy.
>
>> Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
>> different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good
>
> [...]
>
> CmapTools has a great auto-layout generator. You can set it to use
> curvy splines instead of straight lines. I don't know if it can import
> .dot files from graphviz.
>
> DotToXML can be used to convert .dot files to GraphML for yEd graph editor.
>
> Maybe one of these would be less onerous for generating prettier output.

I think that amount nodes and connecting lines are better presented in
3D. Little bit more space can help in 2D, but there is still lots of
crossing lines.
Thanks for those suggestions!

--
U.ee

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<sn0s02$2ak6$1@news.usenet.ee>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=340&group=news.software.nntp#340

From: adm...@invalid.usenet.ee (U.ee)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 20:06:58 +0200
 by: U.ee - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 18:06 UTC

On 13.11.21 20:43, jdd wrote:
> Le 13/11/2021 à 16:22, U.ee a écrit :
>> Hello!
>>

>> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
>> some update is nice.
>> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
>> so 12. august to 10. november.
>
> thanks, that's a web :-))

Thanks for checking! Interestingly, my dataset has 516 nodes. I did not
compare that list directly to top1000, but additionally to those nodes
I aggregated out (like fidonet) seems like current top1000 contains old
nonfunctional servers, like goblin.stu.neva.ru. Maybe someone opened
some old temporarily down peering and got lot of old news.

--
U.ee

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<sn10of$1ijl$1@blackbox.home.burmester.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=341&group=news.software.nntp#341

From: mar...@burmester.org (Martin Burmester)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 20:28:15 +0100
 by: Martin Burmester - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 19:28 UTC

Hi,

Am 16.11.2021 um 17:38 schrieb U.ee:
> On 15.11.21 08:41, 711 Spooky Mart wrote:
>> On 11/13/21 9:22 AM, U.ee wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Done with neato from Graphviz. This time cleanup was surprisingly easy,
>>>   I found only few patterns, that needed aggregation. Those were IP or
>>> some hash based, probably client identifiers.
>>
>> [...] GraphViz is handy.
>>
>>> Lastly, those graphs are pretty messy and hard to read. I tried
>>> different filters, but for that amount data Graphviz don't seem good
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> CmapTools has a great auto-layout generator. You can set it to use
>> curvy splines instead of straight lines. I don't know if it can import
>> .dot files from graphviz.
>>
>> DotToXML can be used to convert .dot files to GraphML for yEd graph
>> editor.
>>
>> Maybe one of these would be less onerous for generating prettier output.
>>

> I think that amount nodes and connecting lines are better presented in
> 3D. Little bit more space can help in 2D, but there is still lots of
> crossing lines.
> Thanks for those suggestions!

Maybe something interactive with javascript could be the solution. I
imagine you would click a node and all the connections from that node
would be highlighted.

Possible there are javascript frameworks that already do that ... I dont
have the time at the moment to look into that.

Cheers,
Martin

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<sn8qe1$38suq$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=344&group=news.software.nntp#344

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:29:21 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 18:29 UTC

Hi,

> There has been over year from last time I posted some maps. So I think
> some update is nice.
> This time I used 90 days worth of posts from all groups from my server,
> so 12. august to 10. november.
>
> First, generic view, based on paths in my server:
> http://usenet.ee/maps/2021/graph-n-20211010.png

Very interesting. Many thanks for sharing it!

Shouldn't subdomains appear as only one? For instance, there are
(dhaller|sb|moses|binnsroad|disneywizard|backpage|snipe|...).eternal-september.org
all going to reader02.eternal-september.org.

Entries ending with ".POSTED" may be dropped too.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Dès que le silence se fait, les gens le meublent. » (Raymond Devos)

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<snjca6$bss$1@news.usenet.ee>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=345&group=news.software.nntp#345

From: adm...@invalid.usenet.ee (U.ee)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:35:50 +0200
 by: U.ee - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:35 UTC

Hello!

On 19.11.21 20:29, Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Shouldn't subdomains appear as only one?  For instance, there are
> (dhaller|sb|moses|binnsroad|disneywizard|backpage|snipe|...).eternal-september.org
> all going to reader02.eternal-september.org.

Aggregation was done case-by-case, some hosts like mentioned
eternal-september.org wasn't trouble enough for aggregating. It is
probably nicer though to put them together.

> Entries ending with ".POSTED" may be dropped too.

Yes, those were hassle. I cleaned up some of them, but several are still
there.
Interestingly, those sometimes are somewhat unique:
news.mozilla.org.POSTED adjacent to nntp.mozilla.org,
news.earthlink.com.POSTED to nntp.earthlink.com, so they probably are
from different hosts.

Thanks for Your suggestions!

--
Best regards
U.ee

Re: Usenet map, based on 10. November data (PNG and PDF)

<snvlh7$rpk$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=350&group=news.software.nntp#350

From: yam...@beurdin.invalid (yamo')
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.misc
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:26:47 +0100
 by: yamo' - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:26 UTC

Hi,

U.ee a tapoté le 23/11/2021 19:35:

> news.mozilla.org.POSTED adjacent to nntp.mozilla.org,
> news.earthlink.com.POSTED to nntp.earthlink.com, so they probably are
> from different hosts.

The .POSTED different of "!.POSTED" in the PATH is a client information
with is permitted by configuration in the latest versions of INN*.

*maybe since INN 2.6.0?

--
Stéphane
Sorry for my bad English...