A morsel of genuine history is a thing so rare as to be always valuable. -- Thomas Jefferson

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Terminal choice

SubjectAuthor
* Terminal choiceRene Lamontagne
+* Re: Terminal choiceJohnny
|`* Re: Terminal choiceRene Lamontagne
| `- Re: Terminal choiceBig Al
+- Re: Terminal choicewicklowham
+* Re: Terminal choicePaul
|+* Re: Terminal choiceBig Al
||`* Re: Terminal choicePaul
|| `* Re: Terminal choiceRene Lamontagne
||  `- Re: Terminal choiceRene Lamontagne
|`- Re: Terminal choiceDan Purgert
+- Re: Terminal choiceRonB
+- Re: Terminal choiceDan Purgert
`* Re: Terminal choiceKilladebug
 `- Re: Terminal choiceRene Lamontagne

1
Terminal choice

<jc5boiFnkccU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3468&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3468

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Terminal choice
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:43 UTC

Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3
I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find
literally dozens of them!
in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results
and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.

My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system,
Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a
big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.

Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?

Rene

Re: Terminal choice

<20220418094839.1de7272d@jmapc.jmacpc.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3469&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3469

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Terminal choice
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:48:39 -0500
 by: Johnny - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:48 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500
Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint
> 20.3 I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to
> find literally dozens of them!
> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo
> results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>
> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing
> system, Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices
> can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite
> important. Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other
> good features.
>
> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>
> Rene

Open a terminal click on Edit and then Preferences, and you can choose
font size, text color and background color.

Re: Terminal choice

<t3k0cl$32u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3470&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3470

From: wicklowh...@rfburns.eu (wicklowham)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:33:40 +0100
 by: wicklowham - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:33 UTC

On 18/04/2022 15:43, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3
> I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find
> literally dozens of them!
> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results
> and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>
> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system,
> Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a
> big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>
> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>
> Rene

====
Just installed Terminator and yes it shows a clear and colourful display
, understanding that it is helpful for vision impaired users.
Thanks Rene !

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

Re: Terminal choice

<jc5h06Foj5iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3471&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3471

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:13:05 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:13 UTC

On 2022-04-18 9:48 a.m., Johnny wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500
> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint
>> 20.3 I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to
>> find literally dozens of them!
>> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo
>> results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>>
>> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing
>> system, Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices
>> can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite
>> important. Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other
>> good features.
>>
>> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Open a terminal click on Edit and then Preferences, and you can choose
> font size, text color and background color.

I got that part OK, I just find it hard to get the colors I want, I have
to resort to the #xxxxxx values to archive what I need, Terminator is
much easier for me.

Rene

Re: Terminal choice

<t3k6jl$hk1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3475&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3475

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:19:49 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:19 UTC

On 4/18/22 12:13, this is what Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-18 9:48 a.m., Johnny wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint
>>> 20.3 I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to
>>> find literally dozens of them!
>>> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo
>>> results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>>>
>>> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing
>>> system, Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices
>>> can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite
>>> important. Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other
>>> good features.
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> Open a terminal click on Edit and then Preferences, and you can choose
>> font size, text color and background color.
>>

> I got that part OK, I just find it hard to get the colors I want, I have to resort to the #xxxxxx values  to archive
> what I need, Terminator is much easier for me.
>
> Rene

The built-in scheme of white on black isn't good? That was my choice.

Re: Terminal choice

<t3k8r9$3od$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3477&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3477

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:58:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:58 UTC

On 4/18/2022 10:43 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3 I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find literally dozens of them!
> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>
> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system, Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>
> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>
> Rene

My main problem with Terminals, is with the colorized text,
I can't read the output of "ls" properly. Every time I see
the latest muffin basket of color, I keep saying to myself,
"for the love of God, doesn't anyone test this stuff?".

Like, can you read a dark blue directory name on a dark
purple background ? What kind of "laser eyeball" does that take ???

Maybe if I turned the monitor up to 1000 nits and "stared at it"
until my eyeballs were sunburned, I could read the text ? :-)

Now, this is a purposefully arranged example. I believe I've been
in this mode more than once ("Rxvt"). This is UB 20.04 on the other machine,
which is the current disk present in the machine. The "Tango" choice
is a bit better, as the blue color is not as deep blue.

[Picture] If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"

https://i.postimg.cc/qvwHSJJ9/terminal-color-choices.gif

There has *got* to be some better way to do color palette design.

Paul

Re: Terminal choice

<t3k9ad$5oc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3478&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3478

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:06:05 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:06 UTC

On 4/18/22 13:58, this is what Paul wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 10:43 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3 I decided to look at what else was
>> available.I was amazed to find literally dozens of them!
>> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which
>> seemed really good.
>>
>> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system, Due to very poor vision I find text and
>> background choices can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
>> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>>
>> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>>
>> Rene
>
> My main problem with Terminals, is with the colorized text,
> I can't read the output of "ls" properly. Every time I see
> the latest muffin basket of color, I keep saying to myself,
> "for the love of God, doesn't anyone test this stuff?".
>
> Like, can you read a dark blue directory name on a dark
> purple background ? What kind of "laser eyeball" does that take ???
>
> Maybe if I turned the monitor up to 1000 nits and "stared at it"
> until my eyeballs were sunburned, I could read the text ? :-)
>
> Now, this is a purposefully arranged example. I believe I've been
> in this mode more than once ("Rxvt"). This is UB 20.04 on the other machine,
> which is the current disk present in the machine. The "Tango" choice
> is a bit better, as the blue color is not as deep blue.
>
>    [Picture]  If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"
>
>    https://i.postimg.cc/qvwHSJJ9/terminal-color-choices.gif
>
> There has *got* to be some better way to do color palette design.
>
>   Paul
There are ways to change those colors, I've changed a few on my system since I too agree with the poor initial choice of
colors.
Of course Paul I'm sure you know this. Just for anyone else reading.

Al

Re: Terminal choice

<t3k9m5$7qt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3479&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3479

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:12:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:12 UTC

On 2022-04-18, Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?

I like Guake.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

Re: Terminal choice

<t3kh2m$4r7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3481&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3481

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:18:30 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:18 UTC

On 4/18/2022 2:06 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 4/18/22 13:58, this is what Paul wrote:
>> On 4/18/2022 10:43 AM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>>> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3 I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find literally dozens of them!
>>> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>>>
>>> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system, Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
>>> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>>>
>>> Rene
>>
>> My main problem with Terminals, is with the colorized text,
>> I can't read the output of "ls" properly. Every time I see
>> the latest muffin basket of color, I keep saying to myself,
>> "for the love of God, doesn't anyone test this stuff?".
>>
>> Like, can you read a dark blue directory name on a dark
>> purple background ? What kind of "laser eyeball" does that take ???
>>
>> Maybe if I turned the monitor up to 1000 nits and "stared at it"
>> until my eyeballs were sunburned, I could read the text ? :-)
>>
>> Now, this is a purposefully arranged example. I believe I've been
>> in this mode more than once ("Rxvt"). This is UB 20.04 on the other machine,
>> which is the current disk present in the machine. The "Tango" choice
>> is a bit better, as the blue color is not as deep blue.
>>
>>     [Picture]  If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"
>>
>>     https://i.postimg.cc/qvwHSJJ9/terminal-color-choices.gif
>>
>> There has *got* to be some better way to do color palette design.
>>
>>    Paul
> There are ways to change those colors, I've changed a few on my system
> since I too agree with the poor initial choice of colors.
> Of course Paul I'm sure you know this.  Just for anyone else reading.
>
> Al

I'll try another idea.

What if the idea of eight colors was too much.

What if we had a terminal with three colors: "Files", "Dirs", "Other"

We could select the three "very best" colors from
the existing nasty palette and design around that.

Then the marginal color choices could be left in the dumpster.

My objective in providing feedback, is that "default" choices
in shipped product, be usable out of the box.

Yes, I know that given enough effort, I could download
the source for all the software I use, change it, and
get what I want. That's not the point.

I don't want to make Gentoo out of everything :-)

Paul

Re: Terminal choice

<jc6bd2FtcvoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3489&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3489

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:43:43 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:43 UTC

On 2022-04-18 3:18 p.m., Paul wrote:
> On 4/18/2022 2:06 PM, Big Al wrote:

>>> My main problem with Terminals, is with the colorized text,
>>> I can't read the output of "ls" properly. Every time I see
>>> the latest muffin basket of color, I keep saying to myself,
>>> "for the love of God, doesn't anyone test this stuff?".
>>>
>>> Like, can you read a dark blue directory name on a dark
>>> purple background ? What kind of "laser eyeball" does that take ???
>>>
>>> Maybe if I turned the monitor up to 1000 nits and "stared at it"
>>> until my eyeballs were sunburned, I could read the text ? :-)
>>>
>>> Now, this is a purposefully arranged example. I believe I've been
>>> in this mode more than once ("Rxvt"). This is UB 20.04 on the other
>>> machine,
>>> which is the current disk present in the machine. The "Tango" choice
>>> is a bit better, as the blue color is not as deep blue.
>>>
>>>     [Picture]  If the frame is blank, right-click and select "Reload"
>>>
>>>     https://i.postimg.cc/qvwHSJJ9/terminal-color-choices.gif
>>>
>>> There has *got* to be some better way to do color palette design.
>>>
>>>    Paul
>> There are ways to change those colors, I've changed a few on my system
>> since I too agree with the poor initial choice of colors.
>> Of course Paul I'm sure you know this.  Just for anyone else reading.
>>
>> Al
>
> I'll try another idea.
>
> What if the idea of eight colors was too much.
>
> What if we had a terminal with three colors:  "Files", "Dirs", "Other"
>
> We could select the three "very best" colors from
> the existing nasty palette and design around that.
>
> Then the marginal color choices could be left in the dumpster.
>
> My objective in providing feedback, is that "default" choices
> in shipped product, be usable out of the box.
>
> Yes, I know that given enough effort, I could download
> the source for all the software I use, change it, and
> get what I want. That's not the point.
>
> I don't want to make Gentoo out of everything :-)
>
>    Paul

They should stick to the resistor color code set, that would be many
times more pleasing than all those lousy mixed up pallets they are using.

Rene

Re: Terminal choice

<jc6fv9Fu7suU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3490&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3490

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:01:41 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:01 UTC

On 2022-04-18 6:43 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2022-04-18 3:18 p.m., Paul wrote:

>>> There are ways to change those colors, I've changed a few on my
>>> system since I too agree with the poor initial choice of colors.
>>> Of course Paul I'm sure you know this.  Just for anyone else reading.
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>> I'll try another idea.
>>
>> What if the idea of eight colors was too much.
>>
>> What if we had a terminal with three colors:  "Files", "Dirs", "Other"
>>
>> We could select the three "very best" colors from
>> the existing nasty palette and design around that.
>>
>> Then the marginal color choices could be left in the dumpster.
>>
>> My objective in providing feedback, is that "default" choices
>> in shipped product, be usable out of the box.
>>
>> Yes, I know that given enough effort, I could download
>> the source for all the software I use, change it, and
>> get what I want. That's not the point.
>>
>> I don't want to make Gentoo out of everything :-)
>>
>>     Paul
>
> They should stick to the resistor color code set, that would be many
> times more pleasing than all those lousy mixed up pallets they are using.
>
> Rene

I Should have included the set for the people not involved in electronics.

Black
Brown
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Violet
Grey
White

There are 2 others which do not have the same meaning as they are
tolerance indicators.

Gold
Silver

Which would not reproduce too well on a monitor.

Rene

Re: Terminal choice

<slrnt5t0rq.335.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3491&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3491

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:40:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:40 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Terminal choice

<slrnt5t18h.335.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3492&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3492

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:46:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:46 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Terminal choice

<t3nh6a$lm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3500&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3500

From: killade...@gmail.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:38:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:38 UTC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3
> I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find
> literally dozens of them!
> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results
> and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>
> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system,
> Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a
> big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>
> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>
> Rene

I use Terminator

Re: Terminal choice

<jc9b0dFgb84U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3502&group=alt.os.linux.mint#3502

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:55:08 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 02:55 UTC

On 2022-04-19 6:38 p.m., Killadebug wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:43:28 -0500, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
>
>> Due to a couple small issues with Gnome terminal supplied with Mint 20.3
>> I decided to look at what else was available.I was amazed to find
>> literally dozens of them!
>> in my search I tried about 10 of the best picks from duckduckgo results
>> and I ended up choosing 'Terminator' which seemed really good.
>>
>> My problem with Gnome terminal was a really poor color choosing system,
>> Due to very poor vision I find text and background choices can make a
>> big difference in readability and to me are quite important.
>> Terminator makes this much easier besides all its other good features.
>>
>> Out of curiosity what terminals do you other readers use and like?
>>
>> Rene
>
> I use Terminator

After a ittle use and a few tweaks 'Terminator' seems to be a good
choice, I am quite happy with it.

Rene