"Tell the truth and run." -- Yugoslav proverb

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

SubjectAuthor
* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadJohn
+* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
|`- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadJohn
`* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadBernard
 +- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadJohn
 `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |`* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadBernard
  | +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  | |`- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadBernard
  | `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |  `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadBernard
  |   +- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  |   `- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Craig
  |`* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  | `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Craig
  |  `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |   `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadPaul Oates
  |    +- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |    `- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadPaul Oates
  +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDavid Higton
  |`* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  | `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |  +- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  |  `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDavid Higton
  |   `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  |    `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |     `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadRob Hemmings (News)
  |      +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |      |`- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadRob Hemmings (News)
  |      +* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDavid Higton
  |      |`* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadRob Hemmings (News)
  |      | `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDave
  |      |  `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMartin
  |      |   `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDave
  |      |    `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMik Towse
  |      |     +- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  |      |     `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadDave
  |      |      `- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadMik Towse
  |      `* Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadChris Hughes
  |       `- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadRob Hemmings (News)
  `- Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to downloadBernard

Pages:12
Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=331&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#331

From: news...@blueyonder.co.uk (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:31:40 +0100
 by: John - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:31 UTC

In article <1651319699.947584@slave.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
Richard Brown <richard@riscosdev.com> wrote:

> New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to
> download

What great news!

However, the text of this announcement has been taken from:

https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/

and the download link referred to...

> How to install
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> Download the zip below.

....only appears on that page and not in the announcement.

John

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1586862News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#333

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:12:48 +0100
 by: Martin - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:12 UTC

In article <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>,
John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <1651319699.947584@slave.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
> Richard Brown <richard@riscosdev.com> wrote:

> > New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to
> > download

> What great news!

Indeed.

> However, the text of this announcement has been taken from:
> https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/
> and the download link referred to...

> ...only appears on that page and not in the announcement.

The csaa announcement has now been corrected to include the link.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e15a3c14newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#334

From: news...@blueyonder.co.uk (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:32:45 +0100
 by: John - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:32 UTC

In article <59e1586862News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
<News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>, John
> <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <1651319699.947584@slave.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
> > Richard Brown <richard@riscosdev.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > and the download link referred to...

> > ...only appears on that page and not in the
> > announcement.

> The csaa announcement has now been corrected to include
> the link.

So it has. That'll teach me to be so quick off the mark.

John

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk
j dot mccartney atte blueyonder dot co dot uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=336&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#336

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: bern...@nospambapfish.org.uk (Bernard)
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 09:13:26 +0100
 by: Bernard - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:13 UTC

In message <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1651319699.947584@slave.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
> Richard Brown <richard@riscosdev.com> wrote:

>> New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to
>> download

> What great news!

> However, the text of this announcement has been taken from:

> https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/

> and the download link referred to...

>> How to install
>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

>> Download the zip below.

> ...only appears on that page and not in the announcement.

> John

I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well.
However, when I installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it
all went wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.
The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall it
either!

Have filled in a support ticket!

Bernard
--
Contact Me - www.bapfish.org.uk/contact/
Web - www.bapfish.org.uk/

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1ac7d56newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=337&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#337

From: news...@blueyonder.co.uk (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 09:31:12 +0100
 by: John - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:31 UTC

In article <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>, Bernard
<bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:

> I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well. However,
> when I installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr
> 2022) it all went wrong leaving me with no Internet or
> networking. The !Install program also now fails to work
> so I can't uninstall it either!

> Have filled in a support ticket!

Judging by the thread on the Bounties forum of ROOL's web
site, you're not the only one. ROD are promising full
support after the bank holiday.

My ARMX6 upgraded faultlessly too but I haven't tried it on
my older Pies.

John

--
John
newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk
j dot mccartney atte blueyonder dot co dot uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<da02bde159.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=338&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#338

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 12:31:39 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 1 May 2022 11:31 UTC

In message <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>
Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
> John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> In article <1651319699.947584@slave.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
>> Richard Brown <richard@riscosdev.com> wrote:

>>> New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to
>>> download

>> What great news!

>> However, the text of this announcement has been taken from:

>> https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/

>> and the download link referred to...

>>> How to install
>>> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

>>> Download the zip below.

>> ...only appears on that page and not in the announcement.

>> John

> I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well.
> However, when I installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it
> all went wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.
> The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall it
> either!

> Have filled in a support ticket!

Have you tried opening the !Install program and within it is an Uninstall
obey file. This is the the uninstaller basically I understand.

Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in the Read Me
first file.

Is your Pi 4 overclocked? if so did you see the note in the readme first
file.

--
Chris Hughes
Don't miss this years Wakefield Show 21st May 2022 - we have moved to
Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1c20892News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=339&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#339

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 13:26:34 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 1 May 2022 12:26 UTC

In article <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>
> Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:
> > In message <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
> > John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well. However, when I
> > installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it all went
> > wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.

How did it 'go wrong'? Did it appear to work and re-boot, or did it
fail with some error before the boot?

> > The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall
> > it either!

If that is because of an unknown SWI, I suspect you have been left
with some modules (includung Internet) unplugged. Try *RMReinit
Internet and see if that enables Install to run.

> > Have filled in a support ticket!

> Have you tried opening the !Install program and within it is an
> Uninstall obey file. This is the the uninstaller basically I
> understand.

That is my understanding too - apart from changing the file
<Choices$Write>.Internet.Startup to replace any "OBSD:" with "Inet:"

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<727fd3e159.Chris@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=340&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#340

From: chris.j....@btinternet.com (Chris Craig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 16:37:16 +0100
 by: Chris Craig - Sun, 1 May 2022 15:37 UTC

In message <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>
> Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:

>> In message <59e13eab78newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> John <newsmcc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> What great news!

>>> However, the text of this announcement has been taken from:

>>> https://www.riscosdev.com/projects/

>>> and the download link referred to...

>>> ...only appears on that page and not in the announcement.

>>> John

>> I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well.
>> However, when I installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it
>> all went wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.
>> The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall it
>> either!

>> Have filled in a support ticket!

> Have you tried opening the !Install program and within it is an Uninstall
> obey file. This is the the uninstaller basically I understand.

> Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in the Read Me
> first file.

> Is your Pi 4 overclocked? if so did you see the note in the readme first
> file.

> --
> Chris Hughes
> Don't miss this years Wakefield Show 21st May 2022 - we have moved to
> Cedar Court Hotel, Bradford
> Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

For me it all looked to go well but on restart "Alignment error"
Luckily uninstall worked.

--
chris.j.craig@btinternet.com
ARMX6 RISC OS 5.29

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1d72620News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=341&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#341

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 17:17:09 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:17 UTC

In article <727fd3e159.Chris@btinternet.com>,
Chris Craig <chris.j.craig@btinternet.com> wrote:
> [...]

[Snip]

> For me it all looked to go well but on restart "Alignment error"
> Luckily uninstall worked.

What hardware and OS version/date was than on?
Did the message show anything else apart from 'Alignment error'?
At what point did it appear?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<3eced8e159.Chris@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=342&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#342

From: chris.j....@btinternet.com (Chris Craig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 17:35:15 +0100
 by: Chris Craig - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:35 UTC

In message <59e1d72620News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

>> For me it all looked to go well but on restart "Alignment error"
>> Luckily uninstall worked.

> What hardware and OS version/date was than on?
> Did the message show anything else apart from 'Alignment error'?
> At what point did it appear?

> --
> Martin Avison
> Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
> without notice if (when) any spam is received.

My address must have got chopped?
ARM6 RO 5.29. 1st Feb 22
After installation it says restart - it looked to be loading OK but then I
got the "alignment error". I don't use Omni only LanMan98 2.08
--
chris.j.craig@btinternet.com
ARMX6 RISC OS 5.29
---

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1dcb835News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=343&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#343

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:18:00 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:18 UTC

In article <3eced8e159.Chris@btinternet.com>,
Chris Craig <chris.j.craig@btinternet.com> wrote:
> In message <59e1d72620News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
> Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> >> For me it all looked to go well but on restart "Alignment error"
> >> Luckily uninstall worked.

> > What hardware and OS version/date was than on?
> > Did the message show anything else apart from 'Alignment error'?
> > At what point did it appear?

> ARM6 RO 5.29. 1st Feb 22
> After installation it says restart - it looked to be loading OK but
> then I got the "alignment error". I don't use Omni only LanMan98
> 2.08

When you say "After Installation" is that after you have seen the
message "Make sure you have saved any unsaved work, then click
'Continue' to proceed. Your computer will install the new stack
components and reboot directly." and you have clicked "Continue" ?

If so, did you also then see any normal re-booting messages?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<e38eede159.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=344&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#344

From: oatesp...@btinternet.com (Paul Oates)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 21:21:55 +0100
 by: Paul Oates - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:21 UTC

In message <59e1dcb835News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

>>> What hardware and OS version/date was than on?
>>> Did the message show anything else apart from 'Alignment error'?
>>> At what point did it appear?

>> ARM6 RO 5.29. 1st Feb 22
>> After installation it says restart - it looked to be loading OK but
>> then I got the "alignment error". I don't use Omni only LanMan98
>> 2.08

> When you say "After Installation" is that after you have seen the
> message "Make sure you have saved any unsaved work, then click
> 'Continue' to proceed. Your computer will install the new stack
> components and reboot directly." and you have clicked "Continue" ?

> If so, did you also then see any normal re-booting messages?

Martin,

I am running 5.29 on an ARMX6.

I too got an alignment error. It was after a series of reboot messages
which appeared normal though IP6Net had an egg-timer for a few seconds.

When that cleared there was a message from the Desktop: "Bad Alignment
Request". After clearing that I got a window headed Run choices:
boot.tasks.sharedisk which declared:

'ShareFS is not fully initialised
a)no ethernet driver
b)Freeway not running'

After clearing that the desktop appeared with an error from Newshound
(which is in my boot sequence):'Could not resolve hostname'

At that point I gave up and de-installed, which worked fine.

I had a poke around and found some instructions for ConfigIPv6. As I had
no idea what I might be getting into, or how to back out any changes I
decided to leave well alone until a later version of the stack.

Great to see this new development from ROD

regards

--
Paul Oates
oatespaul@btinternet.com

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<e903f0e159.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=345&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#345

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 21:48:45 +0100
 by: David Higton - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:48 UTC

In message <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in the Read Me
> first file.

Does it require the latest !Omni even if I'm not running Omni?

David

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e1f2d0c3News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=346&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#346

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 22:19:24 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:19 UTC

In article <e38eede159.Paul@oatespaul.btinternet.com>,
Paul Oates <oatespaul@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> ARM6 RO 5.29. 1st Feb 22 After installation it says restart - it
> >> looked to be loading OK but then I got the "alignment error". I
> >> don't use Omni only LanMan98 2.08

> > When you say "After Installation" is that after you have seen the
> > message "Make sure you have saved any unsaved work, then click
> > 'Continue' to proceed. Your computer will install the new stack
> > components and reboot directly." and you have clicked "Continue" ?

> > If so, did you also then see any normal re-booting messages?

> I am running 5.29 on an ARMX6.

> I too got an alignment error. It was after a series of reboot
> messages which appeared normal though IP6Net had an egg-timer for
> a few seconds.

> When that cleared there was a message from the Desktop: "Bad
> Alignment Request". After clearing that I got a window headed Run
> choices: boot.tasks.sharedisk which declared:

So the message appears in an error window after the desktop has
appeared?

> 'ShareFS is not fully initialised
> a)no ethernet driver
> b)Freeway not running'

> After clearing that the desktop appeared with an error from
> Newshound (which is in my boot sequence):'Could not resolve
> hostname'

Both ShareFS and Resolver issues will probably be because of the
earlier failure.

> At that point I gave up and de-installed, which worked fine.

> I had a poke around and found some instructions for ConfigIPv6. As
> I had no idea what I might be getting into, or how to back out any
> changes I decided to leave well alone until a later version of the
> stack.

Unless you understand IPv6 stay well clear!

The next step is to narrow down what is issuing the message.
If anyone is running my Reporter from boot (or Rick's Harezumi?) it
would be very useful to know the commands surrounding the error.

Martin

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<45e9f7e159.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=347&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#347

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 23:15:00 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 1 May 2022 22:15 UTC

In message <e903f0e159.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> In message <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in the Read Me
>> first file.

> Does it require the latest !Omni even if I'm not running Omni?

Andrew Rawnsley says on the ARMini list:

Just make sure to update your !Omni, since there are fixes in that from
last year that fit well with the new stack.
End quote:

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e2366b50News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=348&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#348

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 10:37:45 +0100
 by: Martin - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:37 UTC

In article <45e9f7e159.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <e903f0e159.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
> David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> > In message <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>
> > Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in
> >> the Read Me first file.

> > Does it require the latest !Omni even if I'm not running Omni?

> Andrew Rawnsley says on the ARMini list:

> Just make sure to update your !Omni, since there are fixes in that
> from last year that fit well with the new stack.
> End quote:

Seems redundant if Omni is not being used, though?

I would agree that the pre-requisites for running the new stack are
not well defined. Terms like 'latest' should be replaced by version
numbers - and enforced by RMEnsures - for avoidance of doubt.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<047b3ce259.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=349&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#349

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 11:43:58 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:43 UTC

In message <59e2366b50News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <45e9f7e159.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <e903f0e159.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
>> David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Does it require the latest !Omni even if I'm not running Omni?

>> Andrew Rawnsley says on the ARMini list:

>> Just make sure to update your !Omni, since there are fixes in that
>> from last year that fit well with the new stack.
>> End quote:

> Seems redundant if Omni is not being used, though?

Possibly, It's available via Packman anyway for ease of install.

I think looking at the internals of the current Omni its actually some of
the modules that have been updated rather then Omni itself.

> I would agree that the pre-requisites for running the new stack are
> not well defined. Terms like 'latest' should be replaced by version
> numbers - and enforced by RMEnsures - for avoidance of doubt.

The prerequisites I think are just for safety (covering their backs so to
speak) reduce possible issues.

Omni seems to be the main one and advising the new stack ideally should be
installed on 5.24+ the other. A general warning re over clocked Pi's
possibility causing some timing issues to me make sense.

Anyway runs nicely here on my ARMX6 and its certainly faster.

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<0f4b4be259.Bernard@iMX6>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=350&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#350

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: bern...@nospambapfish.org.uk (Bernard)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 14:25:45 +0100
 by: Bernard - Mon, 2 May 2022 13:25 UTC

In message <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>

>> I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well.
>> However, when I installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it
>> all went wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.
>> The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall it
>> either!

>> Have filled in a support ticket!

> Have you tried opening the !Install program and within it is an Uninstall
> obey file. This is the the uninstaller basically I understand.

That would make sense.

> Did you also ensure you had the latest !Omni as advised etc in the Read Me
> first file.

!Omni updated - I don't use it though.

> Is your Pi 4 overclocked? if so did you see the note in the readme first
> file.

My Pi 4 is not overclocked. I saw the note about that.

Bernard
--
Contact Me - www.bapfish.org.uk/contact/
Web - www.bapfish.org.uk/

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<f7ad4ce259.Bernard@iMX6>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=351&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#351

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: bern...@nospambapfish.org.uk (Bernard)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 14:40:54 +0100
 by: Bernard - Mon, 2 May 2022 13:40 UTC

In message <59e1c20892News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <e0dcaae159.Bernard@iMX6>
>> Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

>>> I installed it on my ARMX6 and all went well. However, when I
>>> installed it on my Pi4 with RISC OS 5.29 (2 Apr 2022) it all went
>>> wrong leaving me with no Internet or networking.

> How did it 'go wrong'? Did it appear to work and re-boot, or did it
> fail with some error before the boot?

The Network Configuration window opened and stuck there.
I eventually clicked SAVE and it rebooted.

Now every time it starts up I get the Network Configuration window
during boot up. If I click SAVE then 'Reset later' I can get to a
working desktop except network and Internet not working.
(Using my ARMX6 to reply to this!)

>>> The !Install program also now fails to work so I can't uninstall
>>> it either!

> If that is because of an unknown SWI, I suspect you have been left
> with some modules (includung Internet) unplugged. Try *RMReinit
> Internet and see if that enables Install to run.

The !Install program error is now: 'SWI name not known @ 120'.
Line 120 says: SYS"XSocket_Version,r% TO r%
Unplugged modules are: Resolver + EtherUSB

Bernard
--
Contact Me - www.bapfish.org.uk/contact/
Web - www.bapfish.org.uk/

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<2a5253e259.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=352&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#352

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 15:53:26 +0100
 by: David Higton - Mon, 2 May 2022 14:53 UTC

In message <59e2366b50News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <45e9f7e159.chris@mytardis>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > In message <e903f0e159.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
> > David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> > > Does it require the latest !Omni even if I'm not running Omni?
>
> > Andrew Rawnsley says on the ARMini list:
>
> > Just make sure to update your !Omni, since there are fixes in that from
> > last year that fit well with the new stack.
> > End quote:
>
> Seems redundant if Omni is not being used, though?

The basis for my question, of course.

I don't normally use Omni at all. When I access a network drive, I do
it via LanMan98 - but LM98 doesn't run unless and until I want to access
the drive.

So, does the new stack force Omni to run, whether it's going to be used
or not?

> I would agree that the pre-requisites for running the new stack are not
> well defined. Terms like 'latest' should be replaced by version numbers -
> and enforced by RMEnsures - for avoidance of doubt.

That would seem eminently sensible.

David

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<d09e53e259.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=353&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#353

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 15:56:43 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 2 May 2022 14:56 UTC

In message <f7ad4ce259.Bernard@iMX6>
Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <59e1c20892News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
> Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>> In article <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>,
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> [Snip]

>> How did it 'go wrong'? Did it appear to work and re-boot, or did it
>> fail with some error before the boot?

> The Network Configuration window opened and stuck there.
> I eventually clicked SAVE and it rebooted.

> Now every time it starts up I get the Network Configuration window
> during boot up. If I click SAVE then 'Reset later' I can get to a
> working desktop except network and Internet not working.
> (Using my ARMX6 to reply to this!)

That sounds like the !InetSetup has not updated correctly

>> If that is because of an unknown SWI, I suspect you have been left
>> with some modules (includung Internet) unplugged. Try *RMReinit
>> Internet and see if that enables Install to run.

> The !Install program error is now: 'SWI name not known @ 120'.
> Line 120 says: SYS"XSocket_Version,r% TO r%
> Unplugged modules are: Resolver + EtherUSB

So it thinks those modules are unplugged

Is this a standard Pi 4 without any extra HAT's ?

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<b00b54e259.chris@mytardis>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=354&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#354

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 16:01:21 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 2 May 2022 15:01 UTC

In message <2a5253e259.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> In message <59e2366b50News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
> Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

>> In article <45e9f7e159.chris@mytardis>,
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Andrew Rawnsley says on the ARMini list:
>>
>>> Just make sure to update your !Omni, since there are fixes in that from
>>> last year that fit well with the new stack.
>>> End quote:
>>
>> Seems redundant if Omni is not being used, though?

> The basis for my question, of course.

> I don't normally use Omni at all. When I access a network drive, I do
> it via LanMan98 - but LM98 doesn't run unless and until I want to access
> the drive.

I don't normally use Omni but do use LM98 latest version 2.08 like you

> So, does the new stack force Omni to run, whether it's going to be used
> or not?

No, but it appears some of the networking modules within have had some
updates

Check the latest information at www.wakefieldshow.org.uk

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e259eec9News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=355&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#355

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 17:05:41 +0100
 by: Martin - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:05 UTC

In article <f7ad4ce259.Bernard@iMX6>,
Bernard <bernard@nospambapfish.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <59e1c20892News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
> Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <da02bde159.chris@mytardis>,
> > Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> > How did it 'go wrong'? Did it appear to work and re-boot, or did
> > it fail with some error before the boot?

> The Network Configuration window opened and stuck there. I
> eventually clicked SAVE and it rebooted.

Was this just after clicking 'Install then Reboot', but before you saw
a message "Make sure you have saved any unsaved work, then click
'Continue' to proceed. Your computer will install the new stack
components and reboot directly" ? Or after you clicked on Continue?

I can see no way the Install opens the Config window. Yet.
Did the Pi4 have ithe old internet installed and working?

> Now every time it starts up I get the Network Configuration window
> during boot up. If I click SAVE then 'Reset later' I can get to a
> working desktop except network and Internet not working. (Using my
> ARMX6 to reply to this!)

> > If that is because of an unknown SWI, I suspect you have been
> > left with some modules (includung Internet) unplugged. Try
> > *RMReinit Internet and see if that enables Install to run.

> The !Install program error is now: 'SWI name not known @ 120'. Line
> 120 says: SYS"XSocket_Version,r% TO r% Unplugged modules are:
> Resolver + EtherUSB

What version does *Help Internet show?
If it is 7.00 then try *RMKill Internet, then *RMReInit Internet
Then has v7.00 gone?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e25ada64News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=356&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#356

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 17:15:45 +0100
 by: Martin - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:15 UTC

In article <b00b54e259.chris@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <2a5253e259.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
> David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> > In message <59e2366b50News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>
> > Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Seems redundant if Omni is not being used, though?

> > The basis for my question, of course.

> > I don't normally use Omni at all. When I access a network drive,
> > I do it via LanMan98 - but LM98 doesn't run unless and until I
> > want to access the drive.

> I don't normally use Omni but do use LM98 latest version 2.08 like
> you

> > So, does the new stack force Omni to run, whether it's going to
> > be used or not?

> No, but it appears some of the networking modules within have had
> some updates

Seems to be just LanManFS and NFS that were updated last year.
But I have discovered I had not updated those, after I found that
OmniClient *was* the latest release (v2.32 from 2020). And I had no
bother with the older versions and the new stack on a Titanium or
RPi3!

Dave: What machine are you running on?
Are you referring to Message:
Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Bad alignment
request'
in an error box during the re-boot?

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: New Open Source TCP/IP Stack for RISC OS now available to download

<59e2619f87rhnews@dsl.pipex.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=357&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#357

From: rhn...@dsl.pipex.com (Rob Hemmings (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 18:29:42 +0100
 by: Rob Hemmings (News) - Mon, 2 May 2022 17:29 UTC

[Snip]

> > > The basis for my question, of course.

> > > I don't normally use Omni at all. When I access a network drive,
> > > I do it via LanMan98 - but LM98 doesn't run unless and until I
> > > want to access the drive.

> > I don't normally use Omni but do use LM98 latest version 2.08 like
> > you

> > > So, does the new stack force Omni to run, whether it's going to
> > > be used or not?

> > No, but it appears some of the networking modules within have had
> > some updates

> Seems to be just LanManFS and NFS that were updated last year.
> But I have discovered I had not updated those, after I found that
> OmniClient *was* the latest release (v2.32 from 2020). And I had no
> bother with the older versions and the new stack on a Titanium or
> RPi3!

> Dave: What machine are you running on?
> Are you referring to Message:
> Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Bad alignment
> request'
> in an error box during the re-boot?

I'm getting the same problem and error message - just as described above.
I don't have Omni but I do load LanMan98 version 2.08 at startup. I'm on
an ArmX6 running RISC OS 5.29. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Rob Hemmings Southport
rhnews@dsl.pipex.com