Earth is a beta site.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.hardware / Re: Iyonix not booting

SubjectAuthor
* Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
+* Re: Iyonix not bootingDoug Webb
|`- Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
+* Re: Iyonix not bootingChris Hughes
|+* Re: Iyonix not bootingMartin
||`- Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
|`- Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
`* Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
 `* Re: Iyonix not bootingTheo
  `* Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
   `* Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
    +* Re: Iyonix not bootingChris Hughes
    |+- Re: Iyonix not bootingcharles
    |`* Re: Iyonix not bootingMartin
    | `* Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
    |  `* Re: Iyonix not bootingMartin
    |   `* Re: Iyonix not bootingTim Hill
    |    `- Re: Iyonix not bootingMartin
    +* Re: Iyonix not bootingTheo
    |`* Re: Iyonix not bootingDavid Higton
    | `- Re: Iyonix not bootingdruck
    `- Re: Iyonix not bootingStuart

1
Iyonix not booting

<59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=323&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#323

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Iyonix not booting
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:53:05 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:53 UTC

Hmm. In daily use, I tried switching on my Iyonix this morning and it's
determined not to start up!

I have tried restarting it a 'million' times and each time a hard drive
chitters a little (it has 2) while the CD rom light goes out, the Floppy
light never comes on; there's no display and the keyboard lights don't
come on.

The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there, doing
nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon cables and
the video card. No change.

Suggestions welcome.

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<d05594a859.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=324&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#324

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Subject: Re: Iyonix not booting
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:43:49 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:43 UTC

In message <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk>
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there, doing
> nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon cables and
> the video card. No change.

> Suggestions welcome.

Have you tried pressing escape repeatably after the start up beep or
holding shift on start up to over rule any attempted boot sequence being
run on a faulty hard drive.

If this works then swap the hard drives around and use the other one as
you mentioned you had two drives.

Failing that perhaps check for the correct PSU voltages.

The one other thing I found is that the unplugging the terminator block on
the USB motherboard connector? and then reinserting it cured an issue when
mine failed to start up.

Hope this helps.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59a896be46tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=325&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#325

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:10:07 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:10 UTC

In article <d05594a859.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>, Doug Webb
<doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> In message <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
> wrote:

> > The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there,
> > doing nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon
> > cables and the video card. No change.

> > Suggestions welcome.

> Have you tried pressing escape repeatably after the start up beep or
> holding shift on start up to over rule any attempted boot sequence
> being run on a faulty hard drive.

I have. It doesn't seem to be seeing the keyboard. Nor the mouse. Neither
are 'lit'.

> If this works then swap the hard drives around and use the other one as
> you mentioned you had two drives.

That is my plan if nothing else works.

> Failing that perhaps check for the correct PSU voltages.

Good idea.

It has occurred to me that I have had a network card for a a few years
and maybe wouldn't have noticed the on-board i/f failing with a PSU
degrading, as they do.

> The one other thing I found is that the unplugging the terminator block
> on the USB motherboard connector? and then reinserting it cured an
> issue when mine failed to start up.

"I hope someone doesn't suggest disconnecting the rat's nest of the power
loom." ;-) :-D

It really was filthy in there. Whatever happened to computers being kept
in clean rooms?

> Hope this helps.

Thanks. That's given me a few more ideas.

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<7c5998a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=326&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#326

From: lis...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:27:40 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:27 UTC

In message <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk>
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> Hmm. In daily use, I tried switching on my Iyonix this morning and it's
> determined not to start up!

> I have tried restarting it a 'million' times and each time a hard drive
> chitters a little (it has 2) while the CD rom light goes out, the Floppy
> light never comes on; there's no display and the keyboard lights don't
> come on.

> The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there, doing
> nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon cables and
> the video card. No change.

> Suggestions welcome.

Sounds like a PSU issue to me, Iyonix power supplies are apparently
somewhat flaky.

Or one of the hard drives is on its way out.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59a8993dafNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=327&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#327

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:37:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:37 UTC

In article <7c5998a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <lists@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk>
> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> > Hmm. In daily use, I tried switching on my Iyonix this morning
> > and it's determined not to start up!

> > I have tried restarting it a 'million' times and each time a hard
> > drive chitters a little (it has 2) while the CD rom light goes
> > out, the Floppy light never comes on; there's no display and the
> > keyboard lights don't come on.

> > The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there,
> > doing nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon
> > cables and the video card. No change.

> Sounds like a PSU issue to me, Iyonix power supplies are apparently
> somewhat flaky.

If it is the PSU, I have a new and unused one for the original
(classic?) Iyonix and I am open to offers.

> Or one of the hard drives is on its way out.

I would have thought that the ROM would have started, and just given a
disc error in that case.

Martin

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59a89ba826tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=328&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#328

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:03:47 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:03 UTC

<lists@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
> wrote:

> > Hmm. In daily use, I tried switching on my Iyonix this morning and
> > it's determined not to start up!

> > I have tried restarting it a 'million' times and each time a hard
> > drive chitters a little (it has 2) while the CD rom light goes out,
> > the Floppy light never comes on; there's no display and the keyboard
> > lights don't come on.

> > The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there,
> > doing nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon
> > cables and the video card. No change.

> > Suggestions welcome.

> Sounds like a PSU issue to me, Iyonix power supplies are apparently
> somewhat flaky.

The no power to USB mouse or keyboard would seem to support that.

> Or one of the hard drives is on its way out.

I had one fail in a NAS last year so that was my first suspicion. But,
nothing on the screen; no error messages and the Boot process seems to
stop before the floopy drive light comes on and goes off. The drive has
given no sign of imminent failure (not that they always do).

I can only suspect but if my PSU has fallen off a cliff and the floppy
and USB aren't powering up, there's bound to be a hang at some point in
Boot. I may simply order a new PSU if reseating all the power connections
doesn't help.

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59a89bc20btim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=329&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#329

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:04:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:04 UTC

In article <59a8993dafNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>,
Martin <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> If it is the PSU, I have a new and unused one for the original
> (classic?) Iyonix and I am open to offers.

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks.

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59aa2841a9tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=342&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#342

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:15:43 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:15 UTC

In article <59a88fb0e9tim@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
wrote:

> Hmm. In daily use, I tried switching on my Iyonix this morning and it's
> determined not to start up!

> I have tried restarting it a 'million' times and each time a hard drive
> chitters a little (it has 2) while the CD rom light goes out, the
> Floppy light never comes on; there's no display and the keyboard lights
> don't come on.

> The hard drive light eventually just goes out and it sits there, doing
> nothing. I have hoovered the inside and reseated the ribbon cables and
> the video card. No change.

> Suggestions welcome.

Update.

I noticed that the Network card is getting power and poking around with a
meter seems to give 12.2V and 5.2V where it should except the USB is
getting no power at all. The floppy (which is also attached to the PCI
USB card) doesn't ever do its start-up grind and flash thing but has
power. There's no progress to any screen output.

Then I remembered why I've had my mouse and keyboard plugged into the
front panel for a while (years) as the rear sockets seemed once a little
flaky. I think the USB card must be finally kaput so just re-mortgaging
my house for a second-hand one. ;-)

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<ABe*yVaEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=343&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#343

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: 13 Jan 2022 13:55:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:55 UTC

Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> Update.
>
> I noticed that the Network card is getting power and poking around with a
> meter seems to give 12.2V and 5.2V where it should except the USB is
> getting no power at all. The floppy (which is also attached to the PCI
> USB card) doesn't ever do its start-up grind and flash thing but has
> power. There's no progress to any screen output.

Can you try power up without the USB card?

When you say the floppy is attached to the USB card, you mean the power
cable for the floppy?

I'm not sure if the power for the USB ports is software controlled, so no
booting would mean no USB power - doesn't necessarily mean the USB card is
toast.

> Then I remembered why I've had my mouse and keyboard plugged into the
> front panel for a while (years) as the rear sockets seemed once a little
> flaky. I think the USB card must be finally kaput so just re-mortgaging
> my house for a second-hand one. ;-)

Must be a small house :-) I don't think there's anything very special about
the USB card - another PCI card with the same chip on it might work. I
think it's a generic EHCI controller, but I don't remember which chip it
uses. If you happened to have a USB 2.0 PCI card lying around I'd be
tempted to try it - once you've got the Iyonix to power up, of course.

Theo

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ab1e562dtim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=345&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#345

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:03:34 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:03 UTC

In article <ABe*yVaEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> > Update.
> >
> > I noticed that the Network card is getting power and poking around
> > with a meter seems to give 12.2V and 5.2V where it should except the
> > USB is getting no power at all. The floppy (which is also attached to
> > the PCI USB card) doesn't ever do its start-up grind and flash thing
> > but has power. There's no progress to any screen output.

> Can you try power up without the USB card?

I didn't, no.

> When you say the floppy is attached to the USB card, you mean the power
> cable for the floppy?

No. There's a five core cable leading from the edge of the USB PCI card
which is fixed to the floppy at the other end. Its power connector is off
the loom which also feeds the hard/cd drives.

> I'm not sure if the power for the USB ports is software controlled, so
> no booting would mean no USB power - doesn't necessarily mean the USB
> card is toast.

UPDATE: a replacement USB card has cured the problem so seems it was
toast.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is that an optical mouse flashes its
'laser' at power-on but doesn't fully come on until boot has
progressesed; until the USB card is fully initialised, presumably. None
of that was happening.

MORAL: Replace the USB card if the rear USB sockets ever get flaky.

Thanks CJE for bunging one in the post promptly and thanks everyone for
your thoughts.

T.

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ac3c09ectim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=346&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#346

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:04:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:04 UTC

In article <59ab1e562dtim@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
wrote:
> > I'm not sure if the power for the USB ports is software controlled,
> > so no booting would mean no USB power - doesn't necessarily mean the
> > USB card is toast.

> UPDATE: a replacement USB card has cured the problem so seems it was
> toast.

UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If I
had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.

So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard drives
which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<c10f43ac59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=347&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#347

From: lis...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:20:54 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:20 UTC

In message <59ac3c09ectim@invalid.org.uk>
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <59ab1e562dtim@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if the power for the USB ports is software controlled,
>>> so no booting would mean no USB power - doesn't necessarily mean the
>>> USB card is toast.

>> UPDATE: a replacement USB card has cured the problem so seems it was
>> toast.

> UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If I
> had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.

> So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard drives
> which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

Can you borrow a PSU for a few days while you move stuff off. Or maybe a
another machine that can handle your harddrives.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ac473e18charles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=348&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#348

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:06:34 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:06 UTC

In article <c10f43ac59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<lists@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59ac3c09ectim@invalid.org.uk> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk>
> wrote:

> >> UPDATE: a replacement USB card has cured the problem so seems it was
> >> toast.

> > UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If
> > I had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.

> > So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard
> > drives which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

> Can you borrow a PSU for a few days while you move stuff off. Or maybe a
> another machine that can handle your harddrives.

Telling us where you live might help to find somebody local.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Iyonix not booting

<BBe*2vwEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=349&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#349

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: 17 Jan 2022 16:14:19 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:14 UTC

Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If I
> had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.
>
> So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard drives
> which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

A USB to IDE (PATA) case, plugged into a more recent RISC OS machine
(Raspberry Pi perhaps)?

Theo

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ac4741f3News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=350&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#350

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:06:44 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:06 UTC

In article <c10f43ac59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <lists@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59ac3c09ectim@invalid.org.uk>
> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix
> > hard drives which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

> Can you borrow a PSU for a few days while you move stuff off. Or
> maybe a another machine that can handle your harddrives.

When my Iyonix mb failed I used an IDE to USB convertor to copy all
the data from my two drives to my NAS, using a RPi3. Worked a treat
.... though it did take a while.

I then copied my main disc to a SSD using a SATA to USB connector, and
I used the SSD on with my Pi for a while until I got a Titanium.

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ac4c6db6Spambin@argonet.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=351&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#351

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:03:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Stuart - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:03 UTC

In article <59ac3c09ectim@invalid.org.uk>,
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:

> UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If I
> had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.

> So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard drives
> which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?

That depends on what else you have available and what type they are,
latterly I had an SSD in mine before I sold it.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Iyonix not booting

<0e8c59ac59.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=352&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#352

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:26:30 GMT
 by: David Higton - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:26 UTC

In message <BBe*2vwEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> > UPDATE update: It worked for two days. Now back with the same fault. If I
> > had an upstairs, I'd defenestrate it.
> >
> > So, what's the best way to get data off the two 120 GB Iyonix hard drives
> > which doesn't involve reviving the Iyonix?
>
> A USB to IDE (PATA) case, plugged into a more recent RISC OS machine
> (Raspberry Pi perhaps)?

I've never tried that, but it sounds completely plausible. My RasPi
that I'm using to write this has a SATA SSD connected via a SATA-USB
adapter. It has proved completely reliable for some years now. I
don't see any reason in principle why a PATA-USB version shouldn't
be just as good.

Always make sure that enough power is available for all parts of the
system at all times, including disc spin-up!

David

Re: Iyonix not booting

<ss60fg$as6$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=353&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#353

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:15:27 +0000
 by: druck - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:15 UTC

On 17/01/2022 19:26, David Higton wrote:
> I've never tried that, but it sounds completely plausible. My RasPi
> that I'm using to write this has a SATA SSD connected via a SATA-USB
> adapter. It has proved completely reliable for some years now. I
> don't see any reason in principle why a PATA-USB version shouldn't
> be just as good.
>
> Always make sure that enough power is available for all parts of the
> system at all times, including disc spin-up!

The PATA to USB adaptor should be one with its own power supply, don't
use one with two USB connectors on a Pi.

---druck

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ad3fb519tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=355&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#355

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:20:28 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:20 UTC

In article <59ac4741f3News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
<News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> When my Iyonix mb failed I used an IDE to USB convertor to copy all the
> data from my two drives to my NAS, using a RPi3. Worked a treat ...
> though it did take a while.

That may have to be the ultimate solution. Thanks for confirmation that
it works.

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ad445011News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=356&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#356

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:10:46 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:10 UTC

In article <59ad3fb519tim@invalid.org.uk>,
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <59ac4741f3News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
> <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > When my Iyonix mb failed I used an IDE to USB convertor to copy
> > all the data from my two drives to my NAS, using a RPi3. Worked a
> > treat ... though it did take a while.

> That may have to be the ultimate solution. Thanks for confirmation
> that it works.

Tim, did you receive the two emails I sent to you this morning?
Martin

--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ad45a506tim@invalid.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=357&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#357

From: tim...@invalid.org.uk (Tim Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:25:19 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Tim Hill - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:25 UTC

In article <59ad445011News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
<News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59ad3fb519tim@invalid.org.uk>, Tim Hill
> <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59ac4741f3News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
> > <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> > > When my Iyonix mb failed I used an IDE to USB convertor to copy all
> > > the data from my two drives to my NAS, using a RPi3. Worked a treat
> > > ... though it did take a while.

> > That may have to be the ultimate solution. Thanks for confirmation
> > that it works.

> Tim, did you receive the two emails I sent to you this morning? Martin

I have not. This email address is a black hole so please try
tim(at)timil.com instead.

--

Tim Hill
Webmaster, https://timil.com

websites : php : RISC OS

Re: Iyonix not booting

<59ad55ec9aNews03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=359&group=comp.sys.acorn.hardware#359

From: New...@avisoft.f9.co.uk (Martin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.hardware
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:23:08 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Martin - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 17:23 UTC

In article <59ad45a506tim@invalid.org.uk>,
Tim Hill <tim@invalid.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <59ad445011News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk>, Martin
> <News03@avisoft.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> > Tim, did you receive the two emails I sent to you this morning?
> > Martin

> I have not. This email address is a black hole so please try
> tim(at)timil.com instead.

Ok. Did that at 15:15. Martin