From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: Intermittent USB socket connections.
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:49:11 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 00:49 UTC

On 18/3/21 1:56 am, TJ wrote:
> On 3/16/21 4:29 PM, faeychild wrote:
>> On 13/3/21 10:08 pm, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>>> On 9/2/21 4:36 pm, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>>

>>> I _think_ that I have this problem solved.
>>>
>>> My computer case has a row of USB sockets along the top, 2xUSB2 and
>>> 2xUSB3.  Naturally, I plug and unplug devices in them all the time,
>>> so they deteriorate, and become loose.  I moved the external drive to
>>> a socket on the back of the box, one that is never used otherwise.
>>> The tight fit was very reassuring.  To date, I have had no more
>>> problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
>>

>> I have an easily replaced extension cable permanently plugged into the
>> USB 3 socket for that very reason. I plug in USB sticks constantly and
>> therefore run the extension up to the table. It also saves fumbling
>> under the desk every time to plug in a stick.
>>

> My motherboard has its two USB 3.0 ports on the back, with no internal
> USB 3.0 headers. So, I bought a four-port USB 3.0 hub, with enough of a
> cable to reach to the back. It also has individual power switches for
> each port, so I can leave my external drive plugged into one all the
> time but it only connects when I work the switch. No idea how long it
> will hold up, but for now it works well.
>
> TJ

I solved my immediate problem by using a USB socket in better condition.
From a YouTube video, I learned how to repair the defective socket.

The socket has two metal spring tabs opposite the plastic insert. With
time, those tabs are pushed backwards, loosening the grip. The fix is
to bend them forward again, but not too much. (In my socket, I couldn't
get anything thin behind the tabs, to use as a lever.)They suggest that
you switch off power before trying.