If it has syntax, it isn't user friendly.

computers / comp.sys.mac.misc / Re: Do you use a password manager?

SubjectAuthor
* Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Wade Garrett
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?Calum
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Andy K.
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lamey
|| +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|+- Re: Do you use a password manager?Rich
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  | `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |    `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |     `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |      `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |       +* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  |       |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  |       | `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
||  |       +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Rich
||  |       +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
||  |       `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||  |        `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
||+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
||| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|||   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Wade Garrett
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
|  +- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|  |`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
|  +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Richard Kettlewell
|  |`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|   `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Jolly Roger
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Jolly Roger
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Oregonian Haruspex
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?%
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Unbreakable Disease
|   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|    +* Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|    |`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
|    | +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
|    | `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
|    +- Re: Do you use a password manager?Scott Alfter
|    `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
|     `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
|      `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Dreamer In Colore
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Keith Thompson
| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Ben Bacarisse
|  `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Bob Eager
+* Re: Do you use a password manager?rtr
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Your Name
||`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|| `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||  `* Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
||   `* Re: Do you use a password manager?nospam
||    `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Alan Browne
|+* Re: Do you use a password manager?Otto J. Makela
||+- Re: Do you use a password manager?rtr
||`- Re: Do you use a password manager?The Real Bev
|`* Re: Do you use a password manager?Anssi Saari
| `- Re: Do you use a password manager?Lewis
`- Re: Do you use a password manager?Dan Purgert

Pages:1234
Re: Do you use a password manager?

<87eec24yg8.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=326&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#326

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Do you use a password manager?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:41:59 -0700
<120720211918008937%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<120720212025427670%nospam@nospam.invalid>
sha1:aDVolXjR1rmTL0s5ADnquQR4IVE=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 04:41 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:

>> > there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>> > better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>> > your needs.
>>
>> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
>> you use a cloud solution)?
>
> i use 1password and keep everything on my devices, however, it does
> sync via the cloud. there is (was) a way to sync locally but that had
> some limitations and i'm not sure if that's even still an option.
>
> they also offer a cloud version (their servers) but that's not required.
>
> it does look like they now have linux support but i don't know how good
> that is. that's relatively recent.
>
>> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
>> feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
>> implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
>> system clipboard.) Someone here mentioned KeePassXC, which I might try,
>> but I don't see an Android version.
>
> 1password has a background process which directly communicates with
> browser extension, skipping the clipboard entirely.

When I tried KeePass on Android, I didn't find a way to copy a password
or other text from KeePass to another arbitrary application. Possibly I
didn't spend enough time exploring it. Something that *only* uses a
browser extension would not be useful to me.

> some use the system clipboard which is then auto-erased moments later.
>
>> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
>> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
>> specifically related to passwords.
>
> syncthing is good. also check out nextcloud, which can be installed on
> a variety of hardware as well as in a docker container or even a
> raspberry pi (although that's not exactly fast).

Yes, I have a NextCloud instance, but I'm not sure I want to store (even
encrypted) passwords on it.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<tEhHI.39732$Vv6.9311@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=327&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#327

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us (Scott Alfter)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:43:37 GMT
 by: Scott Alfter - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:43 UTC

In article <87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>,
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
>feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
>implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
>system clipboard.)

Keepass2Android does that. It interoperates just fine with KeePass, which I
run on Windows and Linux (it's a .NET binary, so it runs fine on both).

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnserdds.17it.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=328&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#328

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:48:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:48 UTC

In message <87zgur47bv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>> In message <874kcz5pqn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I use PasswordSafe https://pwsafe.org/ .
>>
>>> It's a Windows application with clones available for Android, iOS, and Mac.
>>
>>> There's a Linux version, available as "passwordsafe" in the Ubuntu repos
>>> (and presumably others), but I haven't gotten it to work.
>>
>>> password-gorilla is a Linux application that uses the same file format
>>> and should be available in the package repos for most distributions.
>>
>>> Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.
>>
>> And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
>> you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.

> Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.

Yes, because you are perfect and will ALWAYS sync on EVERY change.

Not going to happen. You will forget and you will will be caught out
without some recent change or update because you are NOT perfect. Sorry,
but those are just facts.

> I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
> I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
> my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.

Whopdie doo. That doesn’t make it more secure, you know, just more
obscure, more fragile, more prone to failure, and more likely that you
do not have the information you need when you need it.

--
'Now what?' it said. IT'S UP TO YOU. IT'S ALWAYS UP TO YOU.
--Maskerade

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsere24.17it.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=329&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#329

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:59:00 -0000 (UTC)
<120720211918008937%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 by: Lewis - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 15:59 UTC

In message <87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:
>> In article <87mtqr402j.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
>> <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
>>> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
>>> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
>>> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)
>>
>> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>> your needs.

> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
> you use a cloud solution)?

Examples have been given. You see to think that using a system that you
yourself admit is inferior and prone to failure is somehow a virtue, so
you are unlikely to care about other solutions and that holds up since
you have ignored the other solutions offered.

> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want.

Has anyone mentioned KeePass? I know I haven;ts since I have never used
it, and I don't recall anyone else mentioning it in this thread. I do
not recall that Keepass does syncing, you hae to sync the database
yourself.

> but I don't see an Android version.

If you are trusting Android to store your password files you should have
no issue with FAR more secure and tested cloud storage.

> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
> specifically related to passwords.

If it cannot manage merges, it is useless for password management.

--
Hello Diane, I'm Bucky Goldstein

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<il600uFj6v4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=330&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#330

Followup: comp.sys.mac.system
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: 13 Jul 2021 17:15:10 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:15 UTC

On 2021-07-12, Unbreakable Disease <unbreakable@secmail.pro> wrote:
> On 12.07.2021 15:28, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2021-07-12, Unbreakable Disease <unbreakable@secmail.pro> wrote:
>>>
>>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway
>>> (full-disk encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>>
>>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple
>>> passwords you use every month or even less.
>>>
>>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't
>>> used one since Windows 95 days.
>>
>> I don't see anything wrong with using Apple's built-in Keychain
>> password manager. The only drawback it has is that it's Apple-only,
>> and that has never been a reason not to use it for me. Most of my
>> family uses it and is happy with it.
>>
>> The iCloud Keychain service is optional and seamlessly synchronizes
>> your password database between all of your Apple devices. It is also
>> highly encrypted using end-to-end encryption so that it cannot be
>> accessed by anyone but you.
>>
>> Others here will recommend cross-platform solutions, but if you have
>> no need for synchronizing your password database to other platforms,
>> Apple's built-in Keychain is quite a secure and capable solution, and
>> it's integrated with all of Apple's operating systems by default.
>>
> I need to use my database on both Mac OS and Linux, so I use
> KeePassXC.

And I don't need to use my password database on Linux, so I use
Keychain. With Keychain. I have all of my passwords with me on my iPhone
at all times anyway. WHen I need a password on my Linux, Windows, etc
systems, I can just pick up my phone and there it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We can go back and forth like this all day if it suits you, but I don't
really see the point.

> And what if you are left with the Keychain file and Apple goes south?

Apple isn't going South anytime soon. That's a pipe dream.

> How you will migrate to KeePassXC?

In your hypothetical scenario, I'd have moved my passwords out of
Keychain and into something better long before Apple goes South.

> Your file is going to be nothing more than useless junk

I mean, as long as we are daydreaming, the same could be said if
KeePassXC mysteriously went South overnight.

Back here in the real world, though, things don't just vanish overnight,
and we have plenty of notice before such things happen, giving us ample
time to move to something better. Such is the way with natural
obsolescence - it tends to happen rather slowly.

> so at least call Apple or e-mail Tim Cook directly at
> timcook@apple.com to allow to export Keychain data to other password
> managers. I doubt that Apple will listen to us, but trying is better
> than simply giving up.

What are you going on about? Get a grip, my dude.

It's great that you have the option of using KeePass. Am I afforded the
option of *not* using it in your world, or is that absolutely not
allowed?

JR

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<877dhu3pe1.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=331&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#331

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 13:55:18 -0700
<120720211918008937%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<slrnsere24.17it.g.kreme@m1mini.local>
sha1:5HteKFzLRDyHAeQZYRGMqHSIJwA=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 20:55 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>> In article <87mtqr402j.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
>>> <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>>> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>>> your needs.
>
>> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
>> you use a cloud solution)?
>
> Examples have been given. You see to think that using a system that you
> yourself admit is inferior and prone to failure is somehow a virtue, so
> you are unlikely to care about other solutions and that holds up since
> you have ignored the other solutions offered.

I don't believe anything I've written here could reasonably be read to
imply that I think the system I use is "somehow a virtue". It works for
me. I'm more than willing to consider better ideas.

I've had occasional problems with the setup I use. Those problems have
not included a loss of information and are not likely to.

>> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want.
>
> Has anyone mentioned KeePass? I know I haven;ts since I have never used
> it, and I don't recall anyone else mentioning it in this thread. I do
> not recall that Keepass does syncing, you hae to sync the database
> yourself.

Yes, I mentioned KeePass. Am I not allowed to mention something that
wasn't mentioned before?

>> but I don't see an Android version.
>
> If you are trusting Android to store your password files you should have
> no issue with FAR more secure and tested cloud storage.

Opinion noted.

"Cloud storage" is not a single thing that is "secure and tested". It's
likely that some of the cloud storage solutions are sufficiently secure,
but I haven't been using cloud storage and am hesitant to start, since,
as I've said several times, my current system works for me.

>> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
>> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
>> specifically related to passwords.
>
> If it cannot manage merges, it is useless for password management.

I have not found that to be the case.

Perhaps you could offer advice rather than just shooting down ideas you
don't like.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<sclelq$kdd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=332&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#332

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Oregonian Haruspex)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 01:29:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8PHFukpbMmzBWiTLH7oi/3H/Cpk=
 by: Oregonian Haruspex - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 01:29 UTC

I use an old electronic organizer to store my passwords, and I keep a
printed hard copy locked in my safe. I don’t trust anything more
technological than that combination.

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<5J-dnb2xYL_T3HP9nZ2dnUU7-RmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#333

Newsgroups: comp.misc,alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc
From: pursent...@gmail.com (%)
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 18:43:35 -0700
 by: % - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 01:43 UTC

On 2021-07-13 6:29 p.m., Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> I use an old electronic organizer to store my passwords, and I keep a
> printed hard copy locked in my safe. I don’t trust anything more
> technological than that combination.

i don't use anything i have no passwords

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<scm226$qv0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#334

From: unbreaka...@secmail.pro (Unbreakable Disease)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:00:00 +0000
 by: Unbreakable Disease - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:00 UTC

On 14.07.2021 01:43, % wrote:
> On 2021-07-13 6:29 p.m., Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> I use an old electronic organizer to store my passwords, and I keep a
>> printed hard copy locked in my safe. I don’t trust anything more
>> technological than that combination.
>>
> i don't use anything i have no passwords
Because you instead use your DNA to log in to your accounts.

--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<scm2af$qv0$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=335&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#335

From: unbreaka...@secmail.pro (Unbreakable Disease)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:04:00 +0000
 by: Unbreakable Disease - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:04 UTC

On 13.07.2021 15:48, Lewis wrote:
> In message <87zgur47bv.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>>> In message <874kcz5pqn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
>>> you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.
>
>> Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.
>
> Yes, because you are perfect and will ALWAYS sync on EVERY change.
>
> Not going to happen. You will forget and you will will be caught out
> without some recent change or update because you are NOT perfect. Sorry,
> but those are just facts.
>
>> I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
>> I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
>> my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.
>
> Whopdie doo. That doesn’t make it more secure, you know, just more
> obscure, more fragile, more prone to failure, and more likely that you
> do not have the information you need when you need it.

Well, the biggest security hole is most of the time an user itself.
You'd be better off syncing your password manager file through the cloud.

--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<scm2lv$2v4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=337&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#337

From: unbreaka...@secmail.pro (Unbreakable Disease)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:10:00 +0000
<120720211918008937%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<87im1f3x1d.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<120720212025427670%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<87eec24yg8.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 by: Unbreakable Disease - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 07:10 UTC

On 13.07.2021 04:41, Keith Thompson wrote:
> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:

>>> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
>>> you use a cloud solution)?
>>
>> i use 1password and keep everything on my devices, however, it does
>> sync via the cloud. there is (was) a way to sync locally but that had
>> some limitations and i'm not sure if that's even still an option.
>>
>> they also offer a cloud version (their servers) but that's not required.
>>
>> it does look like they now have linux support but i don't know how good
>> that is. that's relatively recent.
>>
>>> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
>>> feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
>>> implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
>>> system clipboard.) Someone here mentioned KeePassXC, which I might try,
>>> but I don't see an Android version.
>>
>> 1password has a background process which directly communicates with
>> browser extension, skipping the clipboard entirely.
>
> When I tried KeePass on Android, I didn't find a way to copy a password
> or other text from KeePass to another arbitrary application. Possibly I
> didn't spend enough time exploring it. Something that *only* uses a
> browser extension would not be useful to me.
>
>> some use the system clipboard which is then auto-erased moments later.
>>
>>> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
>>> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
>>> specifically related to passwords.
>>
>> syncthing is good. also check out nextcloud, which can be installed on
>> a variety of hardware as well as in a docker container or even a
>> raspberry pi (although that's not exactly fast).
>
> Yes, I have a NextCloud instance, but I'm not sure I want to store (even
> encrypted) passwords on it.

You can use Syncthing if you are paranoid. That would probably be the
best compromise between usability and security.

If you are even more paranoid, you can keep manually syncing, but keep
in mind that once you get malware or somebody takes a physical control
over your device, you are pwned anyway no matter how much security
measures you take.

--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<87zgumv0vi.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=351&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#351

Followup: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:34:09 +0300
 by: Otto J. Makela - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 13:34 UTC

Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
implementations, including MacOS.

https://www.passwordstore.org/
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<ildlj9Fna39U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=352&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#352

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: 16 Jul 2021 15:06:17 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:06 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:34:09 +0300, Otto J. Makela wrote:

> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>> interested.
>
> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
> implementations, including MacOS.
>
> https://www.passwordstore.org/

Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
replication to anything that supported a shell.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<scs81p$ug3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=353&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#353

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 11:19:21 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:19 UTC

On 7/16/21 9:34 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>> interested.
>
> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
> implementations, including MacOS.
>
> https://www.passwordstore.org/

Thanks- but use/setup looks a bit above my pay grade :-)

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsf3ptt.16s5.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=354&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#354

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10 UTC

In message <ildlj9Fna39U1@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:34:09 +0300, Otto J. Makela wrote:

>> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>>
>>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>>> interested.
>>
>> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
>> implementations, including MacOS.
>>
>> https://www.passwordstore.org/

> Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
> replication to anything that supported a shell.

I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
(like on a remote machine, for example)

uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24

(or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex digit
password, ever.)

But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of course.

--
Hey kids, shake it loose together the spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather we'll kill the fatted

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<iledbpFna39U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=355&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#355

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: 16 Jul 2021 21:51:53 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 21:51 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10:38 +0000, Lewis wrote:

> In message <ildlj9Fna39U1@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager
> <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

>>> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various
>>> Unix implementations, including MacOS.
>>>
>>> https://www.passwordstore.org/
>
>> Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
>> replication to anything that supported a shell.
>
> I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
> (like on a remote machine, for example)
>
> uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24
>
> (or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex digit
> password, ever.)
>
> But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of course.

Mine, in that situation, is:

dd if=/dev/random count=1 bs=16 2>/dev/null | b64encode - | \
sed -e 's/=*$//' -e '/^begin/d' -e '/^$/d'

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsf40lo.2d8q.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=356&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#356

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 22:05:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 22:05 UTC

In message <iledbpFna39U4@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10:38 +0000, Lewis wrote:

>> In message <ildlj9Fna39U1@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager
>> <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:

>>> Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
>>> replication to anything that supported a shell.
>>
>> I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
>> (like on a remote machine, for example)
>>
>> uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24
>>
>> (or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex digit
>> password, ever.)
>>
>> But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of course.

> Mine, in that situation, is:

> dd if=/dev/random count=1 bs=16 2>/dev/null | b64encode - | \
> sed -e 's/=*$//' -e '/^begin/d' -e '/^$/d'

There's no "b64encode" on my macOS.

--
'They say that whoever pays the piper calls the tune.' 'But,
gentlemen,' said Mr Saveloy, 'whoever holds a knife to the

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<ileev2Fna39U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=357&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#357

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: 16 Jul 2021 22:19:14 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 22:19 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 22:05:44 +0000, Lewis wrote:

> In message <iledbpFna39U4@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager
> <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10:38 +0000, Lewis wrote:

>>> I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
>>> (like on a remote machine, for example)
>>>
>>> uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24
>>>
>>> (or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex
>>> digit password, ever.)
>>>
>>> But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of
>>> course.
>
>> Mine, in that situation, is:
>
>> dd if=/dev/random count=1 bs=16 2>/dev/null | b64encode - | \
>> sed -e 's/=*$//' -e '/^begin/d' -e '/^$/d'
>
> There's no "b64encode" on my macOS.

Sorry - it's a FreeBSD command, equivalent to uuencode -m (which you may
or may not have). I like the general idea of using /dev/random, though.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<d9gJI.45172$h8.42816@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=362&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#362

Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:40:09 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:40 UTC

On 2021-07-12 05:53, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
> you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I use 1Password. Be careful of the option you select. They are leaning
towards "rent" model which I despise.

You can keep the encrypted master file on iCloud or Dropbox so it's
available to all of your devices. Avoid the 'rent' model if possible.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<DbgJI.45173$h8.20921@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=363&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#363

Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:42:43 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:42 UTC

On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk
>> encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.

256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

1Password has that option as well as using a local server.

> I keep a spreadsheet with my PWs on my FileVault-encrypted iMac hard
> drive and copy/paste to logins that need to stay secure- financial,
> vendors, healthcare, etc.

Not very secure. Of course it's your house and that has some security.

But far better to use a manager - even if only on your machine.

> I always log out before leaving the house.

My computer does that for me ... well, might be a few minutes after I
leave...

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<wcgJI.45174$h8.6237@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=364&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#364

Newsgroups: alt.atheism,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:43:40 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:43 UTC

On 2021-07-12 11:36, Lamey wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:17:43 GMT, Scott Alfter
> <scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us> wrote:

>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>>
>>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>>> interested.
>>
>> KeePass stores its file wherever you tell it. It could be local storage,
>> storage on a server you control (as on a VPS or a dedicated server), or
>> whatever cloud storage is supported on the OS you're using. I use a WebDAV
>> share on a VPS. It's accessible to my phone and my computers, but not to
>> others. (I suppose Linode could grab the file, but without the password to
>> unlock it, it's useless to anybody else.)
>>
> If it's out there than people can access it if they want.

Access ≠ decryption.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<87r1fu18j7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=365&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#365

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:08:12 -0700
sha1:yIMiQmTuzT5b4yc1zkvsS0Fl0As=
 by: Keith Thompson - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 18:08 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
decrypt the data.

[...]

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<190720211412468849%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=366&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#366

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:12:46 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 18:12 UTC

In article <87r1fu18j7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> >> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
> >
> > 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

that's up to you to choose something complex.

hint: don't use 'password123'

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<slrnsfbmsi.1ut8.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=367&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#367

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 20:07:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 20:07 UTC

In message <87r1fu18j7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

Which the user chooses.

Have you done any actual research into this or have you just read
know-nothing clickbait shit?

--
And the three men I admire most, the father son and the holly ghost
they caught the last train for the coast...

Re: Do you use a password manager?

<87mtqi0zuy.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=368&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#368

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.unix.misc,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:15:33 -0700
sha1:72897Swyg9XYABAjn82Qp8CVe4U=
 by: Keith Thompson - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 21:15 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <87r1fu18j7.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:
>>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
>> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
>> decrypt the data.
>
> Which the user chooses.

Yes, of course.

> Have you done any actual research into this or have you just read
> know-nothing clickbait shit?

Be less rude. If I'm wrong, say so and tell us what's right.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips