Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 14:01:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A Philosophical Digression As My Health Improves
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 21:01 UTC

Hi everyone,

What moves you? Ethos--character/values, pathos--self-interest, like you're a king or queen seeking to be pleased, or logos--someone who wishes we could all just be reasonable.

I'm mainly the third type of person. I thought of an interesting CS puzzle I was given as a 9th grade student: a mouse-and-cheese maze puzzle. How do ethos/pathos/logos fit into that idea?

I argue: The mouse-happiness-focused are swayed by logos, the cheese-focused selfish are swayed by pathos, and the ethos-mice have non-Greek-philosophy based interests in mazes--it's a different type of maze that the ethos folks won't get involved with.

Were the Greeks craftily pushing us all to reject considerations other than self-interest and the greater good, by lumping all such considerations in as "peculiar ethos interests?" To what extent was Greek philosophy a sort of kamikaze political airplane, crashing into future society even as the body of ancient Greek civilization and culture was destroyed, forcing us to breathe in the fumes of only two big questions, that of logos and pathos, as we haplessly educate ourselves about Greek philosophy like it ever stopped cursing our political system, restricting us to the easiest imaginable political questions that an educated person can hear of?

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)