There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

devel / comp.theory / Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

SubjectAuthor
* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineeringolcott
+- Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareHoratio Cornholer
+* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|`* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareolcott
| `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|  `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareolcott
|   `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|    `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareolcott
|     `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|      `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2olcott
|       `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|        `* Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareolcott
|         +- Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareMr Flibble
|         `- Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareRichard Damon
`- Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of softwareRichard Damon

1
Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<pKqdnSAPzf6HYF__nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35349&group=comp.theory#35349

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:45:45 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering
V2
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:45 UTC

No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
than

(1) disagreeing with the semantics of the x86 language
*x86 Instruction Set Reference* https://c9x.me/x86/

*or disagreeing with this necessarily true principle*
(2) A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an accept
or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is actually
specified by these inputs.

This much more concise version of my paper focuses on the actual
execution of three fully operational examples.

H0 correctly determines that Infinite_Loop() never halts
H correctly determines that Infinite_Recursion() never halts
H(P,P) correctly determines that its input never halts

typedef void (*ptr)();

void P(ptr x)
{ if (H(x, x))
HERE: goto HERE;
return;
}

int main()
{ Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
}

As shown below the above P and H have the required (halting problem)
pathological relationship to each other:

For any program H that might determine if programs halt, a
"pathological"
program P, called with some input, can pass its own source and its
input to
H and then specifically do the opposite of what H predicts P will
do. No H
can exist that handles this case.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

*Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering*
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<t9v14u$13hg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35350&group=comp.theory#35350

From: midship...@gmail.net (Horatio Cornholer)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 08:31:41 -0700
 by: Horatio Cornholer - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 15:31 UTC

On 7/4/2022 7:45 AM, olcott wrote:
> No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
> than

Post it 154,678 more times you impotent blithering wankmaggot.

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704165842.00002bb6@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35351&group=comp.theory#35351

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 16:58:42 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 15:58 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:45:45 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
> than
>
> (1) disagreeing with the semantics of the x86 language
> *x86 Instruction Set Reference* https://c9x.me/x86/
>
> *or disagreeing with this necessarily true principle*
> (2) A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an
> accept or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is
> actually specified by these inputs.
>

> This much more concise version of my paper focuses on the actual
> execution of three fully operational examples.
>
> H0 correctly determines that Infinite_Loop() never halts
> H correctly determines that Infinite_Recursion() never halts
> H(P,P) correctly determines that its input never halts

As I have shown with my signaling halting decider there is no need for
a call to a simulation-based halting decider, H, from the input program
to be recursive; this is compatible with [Strachey 1965] and
associated proofs which are not recursive in nature. Your H is invalid
as it aborts the simulation to prevent infinite recursion rather than
returning an answer to its caller which results in it giving the wrong
answer for a non-pathological input that calls H.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<JZGdnTHV77zChl7_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35353&group=comp.theory#35353

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:54:55 -0500
engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 16:54 UTC

On 7/4/2022 10:58 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:45:45 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
>> than
>>
>> (1) disagreeing with the semantics of the x86 language
>> *x86 Instruction Set Reference* https://c9x.me/x86/
>>
>> *or disagreeing with this necessarily true principle*
>> (2) A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an
>> accept or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is
>> actually specified by these inputs.
>>

>> This much more concise version of my paper focuses on the actual
>> execution of three fully operational examples.
>>
>> H0 correctly determines that Infinite_Loop() never halts
>> H correctly determines that Infinite_Recursion() never halts
>> H(P,P) correctly determines that its input never halts
>
> As I have shown with my signaling halting decider there is no need for
> a call to a simulation-based halting decider, H, from the input program
> to be recursive; this is compatible with [Strachey 1965] and
> associated proofs which are not recursive in nature. Your H is invalid
> as it aborts the simulation to prevent infinite recursion rather than
> returning an answer to its caller which results in it giving the wrong
> answer for a non-pathological input that calls H.
>
> /Flibble

YOU KEEP DISAGREEING WITH VERIFIED FACTS:
From a purely software engineering perspective (anchored in the
semantics of the x86 language) it is proven that H(P,P) correctly
predicts that its correct and complete x86 emulation of its input would
never reach the "ret" instruction (final state) of this input.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704182511.0000502a@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35355&group=comp.theory#35355

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:25:11 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:25 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:54:55 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 10:58 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 09:45:45 -0500
> > olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
> >
> >> No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
> >> than
> >>
> >> (1) disagreeing with the semantics of the x86 language
> >> *x86 Instruction Set Reference* https://c9x.me/x86/
> >>
> >> *or disagreeing with this necessarily true principle*
> >> (2) A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an
> >> accept or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is
> >> actually specified by these inputs.
> >>

> >> This much more concise version of my paper focuses on the actual
> >> execution of three fully operational examples.
> >>
> >> H0 correctly determines that Infinite_Loop() never halts
> >> H correctly determines that Infinite_Recursion() never halts
> >> H(P,P) correctly determines that its input never halts
> >
> > As I have shown with my signaling halting decider there is no need
> > for a call to a simulation-based halting decider, H, from the input
> > program to be recursive; this is compatible with [Strachey 1965] and
> > associated proofs which are not recursive in nature. Your H is
> > invalid as it aborts the simulation to prevent infinite recursion
> > rather than returning an answer to its caller which results in it
> > giving the wrong answer for a non-pathological input that calls H.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> YOU KEEP DISAGREEING WITH VERIFIED FACTS:
> From a purely software engineering perspective (anchored in the
> semantics of the x86 language) it is proven that H(P,P) correctly
> predicts that its correct and complete x86 emulation of its input
> would never reach the "ret" instruction (final state) of this input.
No it doesn't. What you have doesn't work.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<O8ydnfKceaXkuV7_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35356&group=comp.theory#35356

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:33:44 -0500
engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:33 UTC

On 7/4/2022 12:25 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:54:55 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2022 10:58 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> As I have shown with my signaling halting decider there is no need
>>> for a call to a simulation-based halting decider, H, from the input
>>> program to be recursive; this is compatible with [Strachey 1965] and
>>> associated proofs which are not recursive in nature. Your H is
>>> invalid as it aborts the simulation to prevent infinite recursion
>>> rather than returning an answer to its caller which results in it
>>> giving the wrong answer for a non-pathological input that calls H.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> YOU KEEP DISAGREEING WITH VERIFIED FACTS:
>> From a purely software engineering perspective (anchored in the
>> semantics of the x86 language) it is proven that H(P,P) correctly
>> predicts that its correct and complete x86 emulation of its input
>> would never reach the "ret" instruction (final state) of this input.
>
> No it doesn't. What you have doesn't work.
>
> /Flibble

Try and prove how foolish you are by attempting to refute the above
statement on the basis is this paper:

*Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering*
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704183909.00005ee0@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35357&group=comp.theory#35357

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:39:09 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:39 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:33:44 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 12:25 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:54:55 -0500
> > olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> >> YOU KEEP DISAGREEING WITH VERIFIED FACTS:
> >> From a purely software engineering perspective (anchored in the
> >> semantics of the x86 language) it is proven that H(P,P) correctly
> >> predicts that its correct and complete x86 emulation of its input
> >> would never reach the "ret" instruction (final state) of this
> >> input.
> >
> > No it doesn't. What you have doesn't work.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> Try and prove how foolish you are by attempting to refute the above
> statement on the basis is this paper:
>
> *Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering*
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering
I don't have to consider your "paper"; the evidence is here for all to
see:

void Px(u32 x)
{ H(x, x);
return;
}

int main()
{ Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Px, (u32)Px));
}

....[000013e8][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
....[000013eb][00102353][00000000] 50 push eax
....[000013ec][0010234f][00000427] 6827040000 push 00000427
---[000013f1][0010234f][00000427] e880f0ffff call 00000476
Input_Halts = 0
....[000013f6][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
....[000013f9][00102357][00000000] 33c0 xor eax,eax
....[000013fb][0010235b][00100000] 5d pop ebp
....[000013fc][0010235f][00000004] c3 ret
Number of Instructions Executed(16120)

As can be seen above Olcott's H decides that Px does not halt but it is
obvious that Px should always halt if H is a valid halt decider that
always returns a decision to its caller (Px). Olcott's H does not
return a decision to its caller (Px) and is thus invalid.

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<gv2dnc3XGZgAtV7_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35358&group=comp.theory#35358

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:51:24 -0500
engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:51 UTC

On 7/4/2022 12:39 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:33:44 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2022 12:25 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> No it doesn't. What you have doesn't work.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> Try and prove how foolish you are by attempting to refute the above
>> statement on the basis is this paper:
>>
>> *Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering*
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering
>
> I don't have to consider your "paper"; the evidence is here for all to
> see:
>
> void Px(u32 x)
> {
> H(x, x);
> return;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
> Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Px, (u32)Px));
> }
>
> ...[000013e8][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
> ...[000013eb][00102353][00000000] 50 push eax
> ...[000013ec][0010234f][00000427] 6827040000 push 00000427
> ---[000013f1][0010234f][00000427] e880f0ffff call 00000476
> Input_Halts = 0
> ...[000013f6][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
> ...[000013f9][00102357][00000000] 33c0 xor eax,eax
> ...[000013fb][0010235b][00100000] 5d pop ebp
> ...[000013fc][0010235f][00000004] c3 ret
> Number of Instructions Executed(16120)
>
> As can be seen above Olcott's H decides that Px does not halt but it is
> obvious that Px should always halt if H is a valid halt decider that
> always returns a decision to its caller (Px). Olcott's H does not
> return a decision to its caller (Px) and is thus invalid.

Your trace always deceitfully leaves out key details.

_Px()
[00001192](01) 55 push ebp
[00001193](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001195](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001198](01) 50 push eax
[00001199](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[0000119c](01) 51 push ecx
[0000119d](05) e8d0fdffff call 00000f72
[000011a2](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[000011a5](01) 5d pop ebp
[000011a6](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0021) [000011a6]

_main()
[000011d2](01) 55 push ebp
[000011d3](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[000011d5](05) 6892110000 push 00001192
[000011da](05) 6892110000 push 00001192
[000011df](05) e88efdffff call 00000f72
[000011e4](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[000011e7](01) 50 push eax
[000011e8](05) 68a3040000 push 000004a3
[000011ed](05) e800f3ffff call 000004f2
[000011f2](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[000011f5](02) 33c0 xor eax,eax
[000011f7](01) 5d pop ebp
[000011f8](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0039) [000011f8]

machine stack stack machine assembly
address address data code language
======== ======== ======== ========= =============
[000011d2][00101f7f][00000000] 55 push ebp
[000011d3][00101f7f][00000000] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[000011d5][00101f7b][00001192] 6892110000 push 00001192
[000011da][00101f77][00001192] 6892110000 push 00001192
[000011df][00101f73][000011e4] e88efdffff call 00000f72

H: Begin Simulation Execution Trace Stored at:11202b
Address_of_H:f72
[00001192][00112017][0011201b] 55 push ebp
[00001193][00112017][0011201b] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001195][00112017][0011201b] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001198][00112013][00001192] 50 push eax
[00001199][00112013][00001192] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[0000119c][0011200f][00001192] 51 push ecx
[0000119d][0011200b][000011a2] e8d0fdffff call 00000f72
H: Infinitely Recursive Simulation Detected Simulation Stopped

[000011e4][00101f7f][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
[000011e7][00101f7b][00000000] 50 push eax
[000011e8][00101f77][000004a3] 68a3040000 push 000004a3
[000011ed][00101f77][000004a3] e800f3ffff call 000004f2
Input_Halts = 0
[000011f2][00101f7f][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
[000011f5][00101f7f][00000000] 33c0 xor eax,eax
[000011f7][00101f83][00000018] 5d pop ebp
[000011f8][00101f87][00000000] c3 ret
Number of Instructions Executed(880) == 13 Pages

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704185450.00005552@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35359&group=comp.theory#35359

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:54:50 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:54 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:51:24 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 12:39 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:33:44 -0500
> > olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> >> Try and prove how foolish you are by attempting to refute the above
> >> statement on the basis is this paper:
> >>
> >> *Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software
> >> engineering*
> >> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering
> >>

> > I don't have to consider your "paper"; the evidence is here for all
> > to see:
> >
> > void Px(u32 x)
> > {
> > H(x, x);
> > return;
> > }
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> > Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Px, (u32)Px));
> > }
> >
> > ...[000013e8][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
> > ...[000013eb][00102353][00000000] 50 push eax
> > ...[000013ec][0010234f][00000427] 6827040000 push 00000427
> > ---[000013f1][0010234f][00000427] e880f0ffff call 00000476
> > Input_Halts = 0
> > ...[000013f6][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
> > ...[000013f9][00102357][00000000] 33c0 xor eax,eax
> > ...[000013fb][0010235b][00100000] 5d pop ebp
> > ...[000013fc][0010235f][00000004] c3 ret
> > Number of Instructions Executed(16120)
> >
> > As can be seen above Olcott's H decides that Px does not halt but
> > it is obvious that Px should always halt if H is a valid halt
> > decider that always returns a decision to its caller (Px).
> > Olcott's H does not return a decision to its caller (Px) and is
> > thus invalid.
>
> Your trace always deceitfully leaves out key details.

My trace only includes the pertinent details: namely that it gets the
halting decision wrong:

> > Input_Halts = 0

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<7pqdnXJsy5srt17_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35360&group=comp.theory#35360

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:00:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:00 UTC

On 7/4/2022 12:54 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:51:24 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2022 12:39 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> I don't have to consider your "paper"; the evidence is here for all
>>> to see:
>>>
>>> void Px(u32 x)
>>> {
>>> H(x, x);
>>> return;
>>> }
>>>
>>> int main()
>>> {
>>> Output("Input_Halts = ", H((u32)Px, (u32)Px));
>>> }
>>>
>>> ...[000013e8][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
>>> ...[000013eb][00102353][00000000] 50 push eax
>>> ...[000013ec][0010234f][00000427] 6827040000 push 00000427
>>> ---[000013f1][0010234f][00000427] e880f0ffff call 00000476
>>> Input_Halts = 0
>>> ...[000013f6][00102357][00000000] 83c408 add esp,+08
>>> ...[000013f9][00102357][00000000] 33c0 xor eax,eax
>>> ...[000013fb][0010235b][00100000] 5d pop ebp
>>> ...[000013fc][0010235f][00000004] c3 ret
>>> Number of Instructions Executed(16120)
>>>
>>> As can be seen above Olcott's H decides that Px does not halt but
>>> it is obvious that Px should always halt if H is a valid halt
>>> decider that always returns a decision to its caller (Px).
>>> Olcott's H does not return a decision to its caller (Px) and is
>>> thus invalid.
>>
>> Your trace always deceitfully leaves out key details.
>
> My trace only includes the pertinent details: namely that it gets the
> halting decision wrong:
>
>>> Input_Halts = 0
>
> /Flibble

You continue under the false assumption that a function called in
infinite recursion must return to its caller. That you continue in the
false assumption after multiple corrections is a little nuts.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704193804.0000465f@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35361&group=comp.theory#35361

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
engineering V2
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:38:04 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 18:38 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:00:21 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 12:54 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:51:24 -0500
> > olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> >> Your trace always deceitfully leaves out key details.
> >
> > My trace only includes the pertinent details: namely that it gets
> > the halting decision wrong:

> > /Flibble
> >

> You continue under the false assumption that a function called in
> infinite recursion must return to its caller. That you continue in
> the false assumption after multiple corrections is a little nuts.
There is no infinite recursion in [Strachey 1965] or associated proofs
and I have shown that there need not be any recursion when using a
simulation-based halting decider; if you have to abort your simulation
to avoid infinite recursion then that just goes to show that your
solution is wrong.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<BPGwK.359495$70j.108436@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35363&group=comp.theory#35363

engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 15:02:57 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:02 UTC

On 7/4/22 10:45 AM, olcott wrote:
> No one can provide any "rebuttal" of my paper on any other basis
> than
>
> (1) disagreeing with the semantics of the x86 language
> *x86 Instruction Set Reference* https://c9x.me/x86/

Which says that a call H instruction should be followed by the ACTUAL H
code, not an approximation.

Note, since you claim H(P,P) is correct in returning 0, that means that
it must actually DO that, so it is KNOWN that a call H will return after
some finite time, and NOT get into an "infinite recursion loop".

It is a fundamental fact that a given sequence of x86 instructions,
given the same input will give the same results, so your claim that the
correct emulation of the call to H(P,P) can differ from the actual
behavior of H(P,P) is necessarily incorrect.

> *or disagreeing with this necessarily true principle*
> (2) A halt decider must compute the mapping from its inputs to an accept
> or reject state on the basis of the actual behavior that is actually
> specified by these inputs.

Right, and as mentioned below, the ACTUAL behavior or the input to
H(P,P) is the behavior of P(P) or your either P or H are defined
incorrectly.

Your claim that they must differ is incorrect, and your "proof" is based
on assuming incorrect assuptions.

> This much more concise version of my paper focuses on the actual
> execution of three fully operational examples.
>
> H0 correctly determines that Infinite_Loop() never halts
> H correctly determines that Infinite_Recursion() never halts
> H(P,P) correctly determines that its input never halts
>
> typedef void (*ptr)();
>
> void P(ptr x)
> {
>   if (H(x, x))
>     HERE: goto HERE;
>   return;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   Output("Input_Halts = ", H(P, P));
> }
>
> As shown below the above P and H have the required (halting problem)
> pathological relationship to each other:

ONLY if H(P,P) referes to the actual behavior of P(P).

>      For any program H that might determine if programs halt, a
> "pathological"
>      program P, called with some input, can pass its own source and its
> input to
>      H and then specifically do the opposite of what H predicts P will
> do. No H
>      can exist that handles this case.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>

> *Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering*
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361701808_Halting_problem_proofs_refuted_on_the_basis_of_software_engineering

Which still has an incorrect (b) since the ACTUAL rule this is based on
looks at the WHOLE loop, so includes the code in H, which DOES have the
needed conditional.

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<j8mdnUHw2JFwp17_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35365&group=comp.theory#35365

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:09:32 -0500
engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:09 UTC

On 7/4/2022 1:38 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:00:21 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/4/2022 12:54 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> My trace only includes the pertinent details: namely that it gets
>>> the halting decision wrong:

>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> You continue under the false assumption that a function called in
>> infinite recursion must return to its caller. That you continue in
>> the false assumption after multiple corrections is a little nuts.
>
> There is no infinite recursion in [Strachey 1965] or associated proofs

Only because no one bothered to ever fully examine applying a simulating
halt decider to the halting theorem counter-examples prior to:

comp.theory: [Solution to one instance of the Halting Problem]
On 3/14/2017 9:05 AM, peteolcott wrote:

> and I have shown that there need not be any recursion when using a
> simulation-based halting decider;

You have not shown this. One is not free to diverge from the semantics
specified by the C/x86 source-code. If infinite recursion is specified
in this source-code then infinite recursion must occur in the execution
trace until it is aborted.

> if you have to abort your simulation
> to avoid infinite recursion then that just goes to show that your
> solution is wrong.

Actually it proves that my solution is correct. A simulating halt
decider must always abort its simulation of every non-halting input.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<20220704201303.0000350f@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35366&group=comp.theory#35366

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
engineering V2
<j8mdnUHw2JFwp17_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 20:13:03 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:13 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 14:09:32 -0500
olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> On 7/4/2022 1:38 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:00:21 -0500
> > olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

> >> You continue under the false assumption that a function called in
> >> infinite recursion must return to its caller. That you continue in
> >> the false assumption after multiple corrections is a little nuts.
> >
> > There is no infinite recursion in [Strachey 1965] or associated
> > proofs
>
> Only because no one bothered to ever fully examine applying a
> simulating halt decider to the halting theorem counter-examples prior
> to:
>
> comp.theory: [Solution to one instance of the Halting Problem]
> On 3/14/2017 9:05 AM, peteolcott wrote:
>
> > and I have shown that there need not be any recursion when using a
> > simulation-based halting decider;
>
> You have not shown this. One is not free to diverge from the
> semantics specified by the C/x86 source-code. If infinite recursion
> is specified in this source-code then infinite recursion must occur
> in the execution trace until it is aborted.

I have shown this: see my recent post "An idea for a simulating halt
decider" in this forum.

> > if you have to abort your simulation
> > to avoid infinite recursion then that just goes to show that your
> > solution is wrong.
>
> Actually it proves that my solution is correct. A simulating halt
> decider must always abort its simulation of every non-halting input.

No, it proves your solution is incorrect.

/Flibble

Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software engineering V2

<ImHwK.275137$ssF.274580@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35369&group=comp.theory#35369

engineering V2
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,sci.math,comp.software-eng
<j8mdnUHw2JFwp17_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 15:40:23 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 19:40 UTC

On 7/4/22 3:09 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/4/2022 1:38 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:00:21 -0500
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> You continue under the false assumption that a function called in
>>> infinite recursion must return to its caller. That you continue in
>>> the false assumption after multiple corrections is a little nuts.
>> There is no infinite recursion in [Strachey 1965] or associated proofs
>
> Only because no one bothered to ever fully examine applying a simulating
> halt decider to the halting theorem counter-examples prior to:
>
> comp.theory: [Solution to one instance of the Halting Problem]
> On 3/14/2017 9:05 AM, peteolcott wrote:
>
>> and I have shown that there need not be any recursion when using a
>> simulation-based halting decider;
>
> You have not shown this. One is not free to diverge from the semantics
> specified by the C/x86 source-code. If infinite recursion is specified
> in this source-code then infinite recursion must occur in the execution
> trace until it is aborted.

Rigth, so YOUR answer is wrong, as your simulator doesn't actually
simulate all of its input, since it doesn't simulate the code at the
results of the call H instruction, but replaces it with something that
is actually DIFFERENT then the actual H routine.

You have said that H(P,P) return 0, so a correct emulation of a call to
H with parameters P and P, needs to return 0.

>> if you have to abort your simulation
>> to avoid infinite recursion then that just goes to show that your
>> solution is wrong.
>
> Actually it proves that my solution is correct. A simulating halt
> decider must always abort its simulation of every non-halting input.

Except that if H(P,P) aborts its simulation and returns 0, then the
input is Halting.

Note H(P,P) must refer to P(P) or your P isn't defined per the
specification.