Parallel lines never meet, unless you bend one or both of them.

computers / comp.misc / Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

SubjectAuthor
* the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?Retrograde
`* Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?Scott Dorsey
 `* Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?David LaRue
  +- Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?candycanearter07
  `* Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?immibis
   `- Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?candycanearter07

1
the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<65f6b17f$3$19599$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3532&group=comp.misc#3532

From: fun...@amongus.com.invalid (Retrograde)
Subject: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 17 Mar 2024 09:01:52 GMT
 by: Retrograde - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:01 UTC

From the «arterial sclerosis of the domain controller» department:
Feed: Technology | The Guardian
Title: McDonald’s hit by ‘technology outage’ in UK, Australia, Japan and China
Author: Dan Milmo, Jordyn Beazley and Amy Hawkins
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:16:24 -0400
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/mar/15/mcdonalds-outage-australia-restaurants-update-details

Fast food chain working to resolve problem but denies it has been hit by
cybersecurity attack

McDonald’s restaurants in multiple countries including the UK and Australia have
been hit by a “technology outage”, which the fast food chain denied had been
caused by a cybersecurity attack.

Australia, the UK, Japan and China were among the markets where services were
affected, with restaurant, drive-through and online orders hit.
Continue reading...[1]

Links:
[1]: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/mar/15/mcdonalds-outage-australia-restaurants-update-details (link)

Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<ut7eum$72j$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3537&group=comp.misc#3537

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?
Date: 17 Mar 2024 19:05:58 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:05 UTC

My bet: their entire operations team was incapacitated by heart attacks
and digestive issues and were unable to keep systems running.
--scott

Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<XnsB13976DD2CA6Chueydlltampabayrrcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3543&group=comp.misc#3543

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:41:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:41 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:ut7eum$72j$1@panix2.panix.com:

> My bet: their entire operations team was incapacitated by heart attacks
> and digestive issues and were unable to keep systems running.
> --scott

Everyone there wouldn't be so dumb as to consume their own food.

The latest comp.risks (Risks) article contains several explanations for the
outage.

Why anyone would design such a system to knowingly incapacitate a store's
order system due to a network outage is beyond me. Once built that would be
the first or second test a store would go through.
--
David

Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<ut9p0v$8m5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3545&group=comp.misc#3545

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:10:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:10 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote at 15:41 this Monday (GMT):
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:ut7eum$72j$1@panix2.panix.com:
>

>> My bet: their entire operations team was incapacitated by heart attacks
>> and digestive issues and were unable to keep systems running.
>> --scott
>>

> Everyone there wouldn't be so dumb as to consume their own food.
>
> The latest comp.risks (Risks) article contains several explanations for the
> outage.
>
> Why anyone would design such a system to knowingly incapacitate a store's
> order system due to a network outage is beyond me. Once built that would be
> the first or second test a store would go through.
> --
> David

Maybe for verification purposes?

Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<ut9sjs$9d66$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3546&group=comp.misc#3546

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 18:11:24 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:11 UTC

On 18/03/24 16:41, David LaRue wrote:
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:ut7eum$72j$1@panix2.panix.com:
>

>> My bet: their entire operations team was incapacitated by heart attacks
>> and digestive issues and were unable to keep systems running.
>> --scott
>>

> Everyone there wouldn't be so dumb as to consume their own food.
>
> The latest comp.risks (Risks) article contains several explanations for the
> outage.
>
> Why anyone would design such a system to knowingly incapacitate a store's
> order system due to a network outage is beyond me. Once built that would be
> the first or second test a store would go through.
> --
> David

Most systems are now designed with the basic assumption that the
internet is always available - just like they assume that the electrical
grid is always available.

Re: the McDonalds tech outage - any bets?

<ut9te9$9m55$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3547&group=comp.misc#3547

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:25:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:25 UTC

immibis <news@immibis.com> wrote at 17:11 this Monday (GMT):
> On 18/03/24 16:41, David LaRue wrote:
>> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:ut7eum$72j$1@panix2.panix.com:
>>

>>> My bet: their entire operations team was incapacitated by heart attacks
>>> and digestive issues and were unable to keep systems running.
>>> --scott
>>>

>> Everyone there wouldn't be so dumb as to consume their own food.
>>
>> The latest comp.risks (Risks) article contains several explanations for the
>> outage.
>>
>> Why anyone would design such a system to knowingly incapacitate a store's
>> order system due to a network outage is beyond me. Once built that would be
>> the first or second test a store would go through.
>> --
>> David
>
> Most systems are now designed with the basic assumption that the
> internet is always available - just like they assume that the electrical
> grid is always available.

Yeah, just look at all the "smart" devices exist.