"I DO want your money, because god wants your money!" -- The Reverend Jimmy, from _Repo_Man_

computers / comp.mobile.android / Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

SubjectAuthor
* Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Carlos E.R.
|`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?sms
| +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Carlos E.R.
| |+- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
| |`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?sms
| | `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?JAB
| `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
|  `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?AJL
|   `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
|    `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?AJL
|     `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
|      `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?micky
 +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?JAB
 |`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Carlos E.R.
 | +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burns
 | |+- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?micky
 | |`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 | | +- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Alan
 | | +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Carlos E.R.
 | | |`* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 | | | +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Carlos E.R.
 | | | `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Alan
 | | +* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burns
 | | |`- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 | | `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 | `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?micky
 |  `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 |   +- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 |   `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?micky
 |    `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli
 |     `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?micky
 `* Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Bodger
  `- Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?Andy Burnelli

Pages:12
Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmb8ui$kc0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35480&group=comp.mobile.android#35480

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13:51 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13 UTC

Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

If not, why not?

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<jutqe7FttgkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35486&group=comp.mobile.android#35486

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 2 Dec 2022 08:13:59 GMT
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 08:13 UTC

On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13:51 +0000, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

Certainly not.

> If not, why not?

Why would I?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmd7ls$33r7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35487&group=comp.mobile.android#35487

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 08:04:11 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:04 UTC

On 12/2/2022 12:13 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13:51 +0000, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>
>> Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?
>
> Certainly not.
>

>> If not, why not?
>
> Why would I?

There are several very useful apps that must be side-loaded because they
are not permitted on the Google Play Store. While you don't want to
leave USB Debugging Mode on all the time, when you first set up a new
phone it can be useful.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<614q5jxh2n.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35497&group=comp.mobile.android#35497

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 21:33:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 20:33 UTC

On 2022-12-02 17:04, sms wrote:
> On 12/2/2022 12:13 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13:51 +0000, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>>
>>> Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?
>>
>> Certainly not.
>>

>>> If not, why not?
>>
>> Why would I?
>
> There are several very useful apps that must be side-loaded because they
> are not permitted on the Google Play Store. While you don't want to
> leave USB Debugging Mode on all the time, when you first set up a new
> phone it can be useful.

Sure, but I don't turn it on till some thing I do the instructions say
to activate it.

So, certainly not the instant I get a new phone.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmg748$156t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35502&group=comp.mobile.android#35502

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:13:24 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:13 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> There are several very useful apps that must be side-loaded because they
>> are not permitted on the Google Play Store. While you don't want to
>> leave USB Debugging Mode on all the time, when you first set up a new
>> phone it can be useful.
>>

> Sure, but I don't turn it on till some thing I do the instructions say
> to activate it.
>
> So, certainly not the instant I get a new phone.

Hi Carlos,

It's all about considering catastrophic insurance... ahead of time.

The question was asked to find out who does or doesn't set that critical
switch, and why, so it looks like neither you nor Steve sets it because
neither of you see a reason to set it (which is a perfectly valid reason).

Nobody else answered even as I waited for a while (and even asked Andy
Burns to weigh in on the topic in a different thread). I asked Andy to add
his advice because I know Andy knows what most people do not know.

And what most people do not know, which was the point of asking this
question the way it was asked, is what are they going to do when...

*The USb debugging switch is an _insurance_ policy.*

What are people (not just you) on this newsgroup going to do if/when
they _need_ that insurance and it's no longer available to them?

Then what?

That's the question I am hoping to kindly inform people to ponder.
Before you _need_ that insurance.

Because if you wait until you need it, it's already too late.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to think about why they _need_ this insurance.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<2lnnohh4am5j24l1kcalim54b6jaaopdhq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35507&group=comp.mobile.android#35507

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:41:49 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 23:41 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 1 Dec 2022 22:13:51 +0000, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?
>
>If not, why not?

I take a drink of Bacardi the instant I get a new phone.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmgrv1$3f23s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35509&group=comp.mobile.android#35509

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:08:49 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 01:08 UTC

On 12/2/2022 12:33 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-12-02 17:04, sms wrote:

>>> Certainly not.

>>> Why would I?
>>
>> There are several very useful apps that must be side-loaded because
>> they are not permitted on the Google Play Store. While you don't want
>> to leave USB Debugging Mode on all the time, when you first set up a
>> new phone it can be useful.
>>

> Sure, but I don't turn it on till some thing I do the instructions say
> to activate it.
>
> So, certainly not the instant I get a new phone.

The first thing I do is to load all the apps I want which includes a
couple of non-Google Play Store apps. So it's the first thing I do, but
then of course you want to turn USB debugging off after that.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmic4s$9g4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35512&group=comp.mobile.android#35512

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 08:51:19 -0600
 by: JAB - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 14:51 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:41:49 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I take a drink of Bacardi the instant I get a new phone.

If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmicbj$cdb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35513&group=comp.mobile.android#35513

From: her...@is.invalid (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 08:54:54 -0600
 by: JAB - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 14:54 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:08:49 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The first thing I do is to load all the apps I want which includes a
> couple of non-Google Play Store apps. So it's the first thing I do, but
> then of course you want to turn USB debugging off after that.

You don't need USB debugging to do any of that although it's handy.
But you do need USB debugging if your screen ever becomes non responsive.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<h8fv5jxgvb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35524&group=comp.mobile.android#35524

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 22:15:29 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 21:15 UTC

On 2022-12-04 15:51, JAB wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:41:49 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I take a drink of Bacardi the instant I get a new phone.
>
> If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
> unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?

So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<jv4hr2Fo3pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35526&group=comp.mobile.android#35526

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 21:30:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 21:30 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> JAB wrote:
>
>> If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
>> unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?
>
> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?

Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<hjcqoh9ak3o3uvui11f99jeh8i05395h1p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35530&group=comp.mobile.android#35530

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 19:10:09 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 00:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 4 Dec 2022 21:30:10 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> JAB wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
>>> unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?

I don't know. I didn't know any of this was a possibility, a problem, or
that there was a usb debugging remedy until I started reading this
thread.

>> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?

Someone did steal my phone in Greece, but I don't think I had any
information of value in it. Of course he also took my wallet with an
American credit and debit card, but afaict, he didn't use either of
them. He took them around 7PM on a Friday and I had no way to report
them stolen until Saturday, when I reported one of them. But the other
one said the system was down when I called the US on the telephone, and
said the same thing when I found both a PC and an smart phone with a
webbrowers. I couldn't start trying to reach anyone for 14 hours and
didn't reach any one for another 36 hours.

I don't see how they could have rejected a thief's charges without my
knowing about it, or even before they got my report. There was a valid
rentacar charge at the Athens airport, which should have convinced the
computer I was there. Still, if he bought car parts or something a
tourist would not buy, could they have rejected the charge, Yes, but not
bothered to tell me about it? Hard to believe.

IOW, while he might used the phone as a phone, Idon't think he stole
anything from inside or by using the credit/debit cards.

He also stole my passport, but since computers, I would think stolen
passports are nowhere near as valuable, since every point of entry
anywhere in the world knows what passports have been stolen. I went to
report that on Saturday, but the embassy/consulate guard told me to come
back on Monday.

I complained to them later that they should not disable their stolen
card reporting system, which should be a very tiny part of their system,
just so they can update other parts of their data. They didn't reply to
me. It's midwest bank, but not in Chicago. It's some overgrown small
town bank and they act like it. I told them that when I wrote them.

I guess I could test the phonecall by calling, but I can't call every
possible hour it might not be working; And testing computer reporting
is much harder yet, because I'd have to tell them my card was stolen in
order to find out if they would take the information. And then my card
wouldn't work.

>Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
>Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.

I don't use a fingerprint or lock my phone in any way.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmjouf$f0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35533&group=comp.mobile.android#35533

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 03:35:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 03:35 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> JAB wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
>>> unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?
>>
>> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?
>
> Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
> Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.

Hi Andy,

The heartfelt goal is to plan for recovery when/if the screen is smashed.
The question is how people plan to recover when their screen is smashed.

Regarding the keys, I'm not sure how it works but this implies you can
recover keys from ~/.android/adbkeys.pub in the desktop previously used.
*Accessing An Android Device With Broken Screen Via ADB and Unauthorized Machine in 2022*
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/247876/accessing-an-android-device-with-broken-screen-via-adb-and-unauthorized-machine>

Note that the methods have _changed_ over time, as of Android 11 & 12:
*access unauthorized android device from adb shell when device screen broken*
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47008625/access-unauthorized-android-device-from-adb-shell-when-device-screen-broken>

Overall, I'm trying here with this thread to teach people by forcing them
to think about what they're going to do when their screen no longer works.
*A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen*
<https://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/376515-quick-guide-accessing-locked-phone-cracked-screen.html>

To be sure, I'm trying to _teach_ people something they're resistant to
learn (which can be seen by the fantastical objections they're hurling).
*How to View Broken Phone Screen on Computer?*
<https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/view-broken-phone-screen-on-computer.html>

But it's to their advantage (not to mine) to understand the lesson here.

As for the original topic, have you ever mirrored your Android phone onto
your desktop computer so that you operate the Android phone wholly on a PC?
<https://i.postimg.cc/hjkVFyqJ/scrcpy07.jpg> Wi-Fi mirroring on a PC

If so, what's the _first_ switch you need to set in order to mirror it?
<https://i.postimg.cc/TYvqdxCT/vysor35.jpg> USB mirroring onto a PC

Let's answer the question first of how you're going to recover your phone
when the screen is responsive before we go into what slum people live in.
*How to Access an Android Phone with a Broken Screen*
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-access-android-phone-broken-screen-brian-murutu>

In summary, the goal here is to first get people to think about how they're
going to recover from a broken screen before it happens, and, if we even
get that far (which we may not given the fantastical objections), then we
can write a proactive tutorial that allows us to recover when it happens.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to teach people the value of USB debugging = on.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmjser$3t2us$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35534&group=comp.mobile.android#35534

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:35:39 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 04:35 UTC

On 2022-12-04 19:35, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?
>>
>> Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
>> Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> The heartfelt goal is to plan for recovery when/if the screen is smashed.
> The question is how people plan to recover when their screen is smashed.

You mean like if you had a backup that ran every night while you slept?

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<f37rohd17skc009dbg90bia21f4n0vctec@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35539&group=comp.mobile.android#35539

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 02:24:29 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 07:24 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 4 Dec 2022 22:15:29 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2022-12-04 15:51, JAB wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:41:49 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I take a drink of Bacardi the instant I get a new phone.
>>
>> If you don't enable usb debugging and if later the screen becomes
>> unresponsive how are you going to work with the phone (or access sd0 data)?
>
>So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?

I seem to remember USB debugging interfering with something else when I
had it on on some prior phone. Didn't it do that? Does it still?

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<2q016jxobt.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35543&group=comp.mobile.android#35543

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 12:21:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:21 UTC

On 2022-12-05 04:35, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?
>>
>> Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
>> Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> The heartfelt goal is to plan for recovery when/if the screen is smashed.
> The question is how people plan to recover when their screen is smashed.
>
> Regarding the keys, I'm not sure how it works but this implies you can
> recover keys from ~/.android/adbkeys.pub in the desktop previously used.
> *Accessing An Android Device With Broken Screen Via ADB and Unauthorized
> Machine in 2022*
> <https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/247876/accessing-an-android-device-with-broken-screen-via-adb-and-unauthorized-machine>
>
> Note that the methods have _changed_ over time, as of Android 11 & 12:
> *access unauthorized android device from adb shell when device screen
> broken*
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47008625/access-unauthorized-android-device-from-adb-shell-when-device-screen-broken>
>
> Overall, I'm trying here with this thread to teach people by forcing them
> to think about what they're going to do when their screen no longer works.
> *A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen*
> <https://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/376515-quick-guide-accessing-locked-phone-cracked-screen.html>

So, are you really saying that, if I turn on USB Debugging a non
authorized computer can access inside my phone, without me authorizing it?

You have then convinced me that I NEVER want to turn that on.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<jv68q7F8mb5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35544&group=comp.mobile.android#35544

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 13:08:23 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 13:08 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> So, someone that steals your phone has access to the data inside?
>>
>> Isn't USB debugging "paired" to the fingerprint of a specific computer?
>> Not sure where the fingerprint comes from on the computer, though.
>
> The heartfelt goal is to plan for recovery when/if the screen is smashed.
> The question is how people plan to recover when their screen is smashed.
>
> Regarding the keys, I'm not sure how it works but this implies you can
> recover keys from ~/.android/adbkeys.pub in the desktop previously used.

So if the thief doesn't have access to the machine the phone was previously
paired with, then you're not open to them using USB debugging to access your date.

If the thief does have access to the previously paired machine then they have
probably cleaned you out of house and home ...

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tml5ak$1db$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35546&group=comp.mobile.android#35546

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:13:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:13 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> So, are you really saying that, if I turn on USB Debugging a non
> authorized computer can access inside my phone, without me authorizing it?
>
> You have then convinced me that I NEVER want to turn that on.

Hi Carlos,

I'm not here to deprecate anyone but to teach them (& to learn from them).

If what you're worried about is someone stealing your phone, that's just
not the topic here, especially as it's my understanding they can ALREADY do
what you're worried about... with or without you turning USB debugging on.

But someone stealing your phone is simply not the point of this thread.

The whole point of this thread is to kindly and helpfully make people aware
that if they do NOT set the USB debugging ahead of time (and a few other
things like authenticate with a computer and save that authentication)...

*When their screen breaks, they're dead.*

They cry. They wail. They fret. They fuss. They scream. They pout.

But they are dead for one reason and one reason alone - which is they
didn't think ahead enough to do a few very simple things ahead of time.

1. Turn USB debugging = on
2. Connect once to a trusted PC & save the authentication
3. Turn off the automatic release of those authentication keys
4. Set the default USB mode = file transfer

That's all.
I'm trying to help people NOT be dead when their screen eventually breaks.

Because if they didn't set USB debugging on, then they're dead.

If you don't believe me, look at this thread I compiled during the summer
of _hundreds_ of people who were dead simply because they didn't think
ahead to set the USB debugging switch on BEFORE their screen became
unresponsive.

*What is the best XDA solution to control Android on the PC & recover data*
*over USB or Wi-Fi when the user suddenly has an unresponsive broken screen?*
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/what-is-the-best-xda-solution-to-control-android-on-the-pc-recover-data-over-wi-fi-when-the-user-suddenly-has-an-unresponsive-broken-screen.4455331/>

Please read that thread before you respond so that you understand what
you're up against when it comes to your screen becoming unresponsive.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to make the point of why USB debugging is useful.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tml76h$10r0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35547&group=comp.mobile.android#35547

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:45:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:45 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> So if the thief doesn't have access to the machine the phone was previously
> paired with, then you're not open to them using USB debugging to access your date.
>
> If the thief does have access to the previously paired machine then they have
> probably cleaned you out of house and home ...

Hi Andy,

Thanks for clarifying that only the one "trusted" computer will be a risk,
and even then, Android, by default, untrusts that one computer after from 1
to 7 days according to what it says in my Android USB debugging settings.

As you are aware, my goal is always to be purposefully helpful so that my
tutorials can be run, step by step, by anyone, as general purpose solutions
but I have to test on something - so I test those solutions on what I have.

To that end, I spent a few hours last night writing & testing this tutorial
on the XDA Developers site in the specific Samsung Galaxy A32-5G forum.

*How to un-freeze an unresponsive Samsung Galaxy A32 5G with reboot,*
*reset, factory reset, odin mode, download mode, android recovery mode*
*& debug mode*
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-un-freeze-an-unresponsive-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g-with-reboot-reset-factory-reset-odin-mode-download-mode-android-recovery-mode-debug-mode.4526629/>

If you get a chance, can you check out that nascent tutorial to let me know
what I'm missing (because I've only run about half the solutions there).

1. First I explain all the ways to get the phone into debug mode, odin
mode, download mode, factory reset mode, android recover mode, etc.

2. Then I run through a firmware recovery process using Odin & Samfw.

3. Then I recover Samsung firmware again, this time using Odin & Frija.

4. Then I cover how to mirror your screen over USB (and later, over Wi-Fi).

5. And then I will be covering how to mount the Android file system
(both sd cards) over Wi-Fi as Windows drive letters using WebDAV.

6. I don't know if this particular phone can be rooted yet, but if it
can be rooted, I'll likely add a section on how to root it after that.

I don't know how your pixels do things, but those are apparently the
canonical Samsung-specific steps to recovery when a phone is unresponsive.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to agree with Andy on the trust authentication.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tml7la$17p3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35548&group=comp.mobile.android#35548

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:53:10 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:53 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Regarding the keys, I'm not sure how it works but this implies you can
> recover keys from ~/.android/adbkeys.pub in the desktop previously used.
> *Accessing An Android Device With Broken Screen Via ADB and Unauthorized Machine in 2022*
> <https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/247876/accessing-an-android-device-with-broken-screen-via-adb-and-unauthorized-machine>

Since I'm all about helping others, even those who don't know enough about
Android to use adb or to even think about the power it provides...

Just as a datapoint, while I use a variety of adb implementations, I looked
for these stored keys and found the files, albeit they were rather old.

Directory of C:\Users\andyburnelli\.android
11/25/2022 03:39 PM <DIR> .
11/25/2022 03:39 PM <DIR> ..
12/14/2020 01:27 PM 1,732 adbkey
12/14/2020 01:27 PM 709 adbkey.pub
11/25/2022 03:39 PM 936 adb_known_hosts.pb
08/06/2022 08:16 AM 185 analytics.settings
12/16/2020 12:37 AM <DIR> avd
12/14/2020 04:57 PM <DIR> breakpad
08/06/2022 09:15 AM <DIR> cache
12/14/2020 01:26 PM 2,107 debug.keystore
12/14/2020 01:29 PM 0 debug.keystore.lock
12/16/2020 12:36 AM 4,640 emu-last-feature-flags.protobuf
12/16/2020 12:36 AM 67 emu-update-last-check.ini
12/16/2020 12:37 AM 119 maps.key
12/16/2020 12:36 AM 171 modem-nv-ram-5554
12/14/2020 12:59 PM <DIR> studio
10 File(s) 10,666 bytes

Note that I do not use the adb inside of Android Studio much, since any adb
works for what I use it for, so this is probably a feature of AS perhaps?

Andy, do you think _old_ keys would work in an emergency situation?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to check where the adb authentication keys are.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<cln16jx2fc.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35549&group=comp.mobile.android#35549

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 18:51:08 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 17:51 UTC

On 2022-12-05 17:13, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> So, are you really saying that, if I turn on USB Debugging a non
>> authorized computer can access inside my phone, without me authorizing
>> it?
>>
>> You have then convinced me that I NEVER want to turn that on.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> I'm not here to deprecate anyone but to teach them (& to learn from them).
>
> If what you're worried about is someone stealing your phone, that's just
> not the topic here, especially as it's my understanding they can ALREADY do
> what you're worried about... with or without you turning USB debugging on.
>
> But someone stealing your phone is simply not the point of this thread.

Yes it is, to me. You do not define what we talk about.

The point is the question: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you
get a new phone?

Answer: No.

Q: Why?

A: well, you just told me of a reason: anybody that gets hand of my
phone can snoop inside all I many have.

The rest of what you posted I will not read, way too long.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmm96u$a51$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35572&group=comp.mobile.android#35572

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:25:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:25 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> anybody that gets hand of my
> phone can snoop inside all I many have.

Didn't Andy already inform you that they _also_ need your trusted computer.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<j2o36jxbj5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35582&group=comp.mobile.android#35582

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 13:10:27 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 12:10 UTC

On 2022-12-06 03:25, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> anybody that gets hand of my phone can snoop inside all I many have.
>
> Didn't Andy already inform you that they _also_ need your trusted computer.

No. Only a hint.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmnmme$69j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35589&group=comp.mobile.android#35589

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 15:22:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 15:22 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> anybody that gets hand of my phone can snoop inside all I many have.
>>
>> Didn't Andy already inform you that they _also_ need your trusted computer.
>
> No. Only a hint.

Hi Carlos,

It wasn't a hint from Andy. It was a sledgehammer. :)

They need your phone PIN, your computer password, plus your phone & your
computer all of which you would have - but presumably they do not have.

If they have all that, then USB Debugging is already theirs for the taking.

Anyway, the whole point of this kind-hearted thread is to communicate to
people who have the capacity to learn that they need to consider doing a
few simple things _ahead of time_ to be able to interact with the phone
when the screen becomes unresponsive or when the boot OS needs fixing.

1. Turn USB debugging = on (and leave it on)
2. Connect once by USB to a trusted PC & either save the resulting
authentication keys, or, turn off the automatic release of
those authentication keys (I'm not yet sure the best steps)
3. Set the default USB mode = file transfer

This entire thread is a kind-hearted suggestion that, if they do these
things _ahead_ of time, they will be able to interact with their phone.

If they don't do them ahead of time, they won't be able to use the phone.

However, like all threads of a technical topic, unknown issues always come
up, which is a good thing.

In this case, one unknown is how to preserve the authentication keys:
Android: /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
Windows: C:\Users\{you}\.android
Linux: ~\.android

And then, once you've preserved them, how to reactivate them when needed.

*Andy - do you have any idea if a simple _copy_ will suffice?*

Re: Do you turn USB Debugging on the instant you get a new phone?

<tmo2tp$9pq1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35593&group=comp.mobile.android#35593

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 10:50:32 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 18:50 UTC

On 2022-12-05 08:13, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> So, are you really saying that, if I turn on USB Debugging a non
>> authorized computer can access inside my phone, without me authorizing
>> it?
>>
>> You have then convinced me that I NEVER want to turn that on.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> I'm not here to deprecate anyone but to teach them (& to learn from them).

Well that's an out and out lie and a second lie in the parenthetical!

:-)

> If what you're worried about is someone stealing your phone, that's just
> not the topic here, especially as it's my understanding they can ALREADY do
> what you're worried about... with or without you turning USB debugging on.

The can steal your phone, sure.

But access your data?

If USB debugging makes that possible, then having it on is plainly stupid.

> But someone stealing your phone is simply not the point of this thread.
>
> The whole point of this thread is to kindly and helpfully make people aware
> that if they do NOT set the USB debugging ahead of time (and a few other
> things like authenticate with a computer and save that authentication)...
>
>   *When their screen breaks, they're dead.*

Unless they have a backup...

....as actually intelligent people do.

(BTW, as I type this my phone's last backup was at 0441 today.)

> They cry. They wail. They fret. They fuss. They scream. They pout.
> But they are dead for one reason and one reason alone - which is they
> didn't think ahead enough to do a few very simple things ahead of time.
>
> 1. Turn USB debugging = on
> 2. Connect once to a trusted PC & save the authentication
> 3. Turn off the automatic release of those authentication keys
> 4. Set the default USB mode = file transfer
>
> That's all.
> I'm trying to help people NOT be dead when their screen eventually breaks.

So get them a system that just backs up their phones.

> Because if they didn't set USB debugging on, then they're dead.

Unless you do regular backups...

....as actually intelligent people do.

> If you don't believe me, look at this thread I compiled during the summer
> of _hundreds_ of people who were dead simply because they didn't think
> ahead to set the USB debugging switch on BEFORE their screen became
> unresponsive.

Because they didn't do regular backups...