Xerox does it again and again and again and ...

devel / comp.theory / Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

SubjectAuthor
* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
+* An idea for a simulating halt deciderwij
> [...]
||   |`* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMalcolm McLean
||   | `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderBen Bacarisse
||   |  `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMalcolm McLean
||   |   `- An idea for a simulating halt deciderBen Bacarisse
||   `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderAndy Walker
||    +- An idea for a simulating halt deciderolcott
||    `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
||     `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderolcott
||      `- An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
|`* An idea for a simulating halt deciderRichard Damon
| `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
|  `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderBen Bacarisse
|   `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
|    `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderBen Bacarisse
|     `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderolcott
|      `- An idea for a simulating halt deciderRichard Damon
`* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMike Terry
 `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
  +- An idea for a simulating halt deciderRichard Damon
  `* An idea for a simulating halt deciderAndy Walker
   +* An idea for a simulating halt deciderMr Flibble
   |`- An idea for a simulating halt deciderBen Bacarisse
   `- An idea for a simulating halt deciderMalcolm McLean

Pages:1234
Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<87wncovbvs.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35471&group=comp.theory#35471

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:41:43 +0100
<ta40e8$14d3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <20220706170351.00007a2b@reddwarf.jmc>
<87o7y2xl94.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706173355.00006838@reddwarf.jmc>
<87czeixg45.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706192701.000060b0@reddwarf.jmc>
<871quxydpr.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707015237.00005ece@reddwarf.jmc>
<87k08oww6m.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707204434.00003528@reddwarf.jmc>
<878rp4wstu.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707220534.00004660@reddwarf.jmc>
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 21:41 UTC

Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 21:50:21 +0100
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

>> > Getting the answer right means one of three things for my signaling
>> > halting decider:
>> >
>> > 1) Decision halting
>> > 2) Decision non-halting
>> > 3) Exception (pathological input)
>>
>> Yes, as I said, that much was clear. Such "deciders" and not very
>> interesting unless 3 is a semantic property of the computation being
>> decided, in which case I refer you to Rice's theorem.
>>
>> > If you want to assert that having a third outcome of a exception
>> > signal means this has nothing to do with the HP then you are free
>> > to assert that but I disagree.
>>
>> The fact that such TMs (or C programs, or algorithms, or whatever)
>> exist is a trivial fact not in dispute.
>>
>> Of course, there are /some/ meanings for 3 (and the consequent 1 and
>> 2) for which you would /not/ be able to write the code, (since it
>> would, in fact, imply a real halt decider) but you don't say enough
>> about these conditions to be able to say more.
>
> I am aware of the problems with a simulation-based halting decider: for
> returning a decision of non-halting the SHD would rely on detecting
> repeated machine state given a machine of finite size has a finite
> number of configurations; for returning any decision I also appreciate
> that the SHD might not answer within the lifetime of the observable
> universe but that would still, I suggest, be a finite not infinite
> time.

What has this got to do with explicitly giving an answer that is neither
1 nor 2? All computations halt or they do not halt, so the answer is
always 1 or 2.

Some versions of 1, 2 and 3 are also impossible, but most are simply not
interesting.

--
Ben.

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<20220707225350.00000bdd@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35472&group=comp.theory#35472

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:53:50 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 21:53 UTC

On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:41:43 +0100
Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 21:50:21 +0100
> > Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> >> Yes, as I said, that much was clear. Such "deciders" and not very
> >> interesting unless 3 is a semantic property of the computation
> >> being decided, in which case I refer you to Rice's theorem.

> >> The fact that such TMs (or C programs, or algorithms, or whatever)
> >> exist is a trivial fact not in dispute.
> >>
> >> Of course, there are /some/ meanings for 3 (and the consequent 1
> >> and 2) for which you would /not/ be able to write the code, (since
> >> it would, in fact, imply a real halt decider) but you don't say
> >> enough about these conditions to be able to say more.
> >
> > I am aware of the problems with a simulation-based halting decider:
> > for returning a decision of non-halting the SHD would rely on
> > detecting repeated machine state given a machine of finite size has
> > a finite number of configurations; for returning any decision I
> > also appreciate that the SHD might not answer within the lifetime
> > of the observable universe but that would still, I suggest, be a
> > finite not infinite time.
>
> What has this got to do with explicitly giving an answer that is
> neither 1 nor 2? All computations halt or they do not halt, so the
> answer is always 1 or 2.

This is why I class the pathological input contradiction as an error, as
an exception to be raised/signaled, rather than a decision of halting or
non-halting. This is only interesting as a possible refutation of the
HP proofs based on [Strachey 1965]; it doesn't have any practical
utility.

> Some versions of 1, 2 and 3 are also impossible, but most are simply
> not interesting.

/Flibble

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<87fsjcvaw7.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35473&group=comp.theory#35473

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 23:03:04 +0100
<ta40e8$14d3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <20220706170351.00007a2b@reddwarf.jmc>
<87o7y2xl94.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706173355.00006838@reddwarf.jmc>
<87czeixg45.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706192701.000060b0@reddwarf.jmc>
<871quxydpr.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707015237.00005ece@reddwarf.jmc>
<87k08oww6m.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707204434.00003528@reddwarf.jmc>
<878rp4wstu.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707220534.00004660@reddwarf.jmc>
<87wncovbvs.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707225350.00000bdd@reddwarf.jmc>
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:03 UTC

Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:41:43 +0100
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

>> > I am aware of the problems with a simulation-based halting decider:
>> > for returning a decision of non-halting the SHD would rely on
>> > detecting repeated machine state given a machine of finite size has
>> > a finite number of configurations; for returning any decision I
>> > also appreciate that the SHD might not answer within the lifetime
>> > of the observable universe but that would still, I suggest, be a
>> > finite not infinite time.
>>
>> What has this got to do with explicitly giving an answer that is
>> neither 1 nor 2? All computations halt or they do not halt, so the
>> answer is always 1 or 2.
>
> This is why I class the pathological input contradiction as an error, as
> an exception to be raised/signaled, rather than a decision of halting or
> non-halting. This is only interesting as a possible refutation of the
> HP proofs based on [Strachey 1965];

Strachey's 1965 note is about halt deciders. You are not presenting a
halt decider. Yes, the proofs don't apply to you proposed algorithm,
but then proof about primes don't apply to composite numbers.

--
Ben.

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<20220707230419.000020a9@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35474&group=comp.theory#35474

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 23:04:19 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:04 UTC

On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 23:03:04 +0100
Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:41:43 +0100
> > Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> >> What has this got to do with explicitly giving an answer that is
> >> neither 1 nor 2? All computations halt or they do not halt, so the
> >> answer is always 1 or 2.
> >
> > This is why I class the pathological input contradiction as an
> > error, as an exception to be raised/signaled, rather than a
> > decision of halting or non-halting. This is only interesting as a
> > possible refutation of the HP proofs based on [Strachey 1965];
>
> Strachey's 1965 note is about halt deciders. You are not presenting a
> halt decider. Yes, the proofs don't apply to you proposed algorithm,
> but then proof about primes don't apply to composite numbers.
That is certainly an opinion.

/Flibble

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<ta7m44$g832$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35475&group=comp.theory#35475

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:18:40 -0600
<ta40e8$14d3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <20220706170351.00007a2b@reddwarf.jmc>
<87o7y2xl94.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706173355.00006838@reddwarf.jmc>
<87czeixg45.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706192701.000060b0@reddwarf.jmc>
<871quxydpr.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707015237.00005ece@reddwarf.jmc>
<87k08oww6m.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707204434.00003528@reddwarf.jmc>
<878rp4wstu.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707220534.00004660@reddwarf.jmc>
<87wncovbvs.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707225350.00000bdd@reddwarf.jmc>
<87fsjcvaw7.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707230419.000020a9@reddwarf.jmc>
 by: Jeff Barnett - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:18 UTC

On 7/7/2022 4:04 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 23:03:04 +0100
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

>>> This is why I class the pathological input contradiction as an
>>> error, as an exception to be raised/signaled, rather than a
>>> decision of halting or non-halting. This is only interesting as a
>>> possible refutation of the HP proofs based on [Strachey 1965];
>>
>> Strachey's 1965 note is about halt deciders. You are not presenting a
>> halt decider. Yes, the proofs don't apply to you proposed algorithm,
>> but then proof about primes don't apply to composite numbers.
>
> That is certainly an opinion.

An opinion?!?!??!! Is your opinion different? Do you know of any sane
person, i.e., a working mathematician or computer scientist (who isn't
active in these forums as a troll) who shares that opinion? I think you
are just being obstinate and that's not the same as shrewd or smart.
It's just a stall for time while you try to think of something clever to
say. Why not just grant the point and move on?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<20220707232237.000062bd@reddwarf.jmc>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35476&group=comp.theory#35476

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 23:22:37 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:22 UTC

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:18:40 -0600
Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:

> On 7/7/2022 4:04 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 23:03:04 +0100
> > Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:

> >> Strachey's 1965 note is about halt deciders. You are not
> >> presenting a halt decider. Yes, the proofs don't apply to you
> >> proposed algorithm, but then proof about primes don't apply to
> >> composite numbers.
> >
> > That is certainly an opinion.
>
> An opinion?!?!??!! Is your opinion different? Do you know of any sane
> person, i.e., a working mathematician or computer scientist (who
> isn't active in these forums as a troll) who shares that opinion? I
> think you are just being obstinate and that's not the same as shrewd
> or smart. It's just a stall for time while you try to think of
> something clever to say. Why not just grant the point and move on?

I am moving on; I am done here. I am not going to invest any more time
in the "solved" problem of the Halting Problem. :D

/Flibble

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<Z8SdnbMeguetwlr_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35477&group=comp.theory#35477

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 17:33:18 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<ta7m44$g832$1@dont-email.me> <20220707232237.000062bd@reddwarf.jmc>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:33 UTC

On 7/7/2022 5:22 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 16:18:40 -0600
> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/2022 4:04 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> That is certainly an opinion.
>>
>> An opinion?!?!??!! Is your opinion different? Do you know of any sane
>> person, i.e., a working mathematician or computer scientist (who
>> isn't active in these forums as a troll) who shares that opinion? I
>> think you are just being obstinate and that's not the same as shrewd
>> or smart. It's just a stall for time while you try to think of
>> something clever to say. Why not just grant the point and move on?
>
> I am moving on; I am done here. I am not going to invest any more time
> in the "solved" problem of the Halting Problem. :D
>
> /Flibble

(1) Input program source code to halt decider
(2) Some magic happens
(3) Report Halting / Not Halting / Pathological self reference using a
signal.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<l1NxK.440535$zgr9.305079@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35488&group=comp.theory#35488

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:56:17 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 02:56 UTC

On 7/7/22 5:53 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:41:43 +0100
> Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc> writes:

>>> I am aware of the problems with a simulation-based halting decider:
>>> for returning a decision of non-halting the SHD would rely on
>>> detecting repeated machine state given a machine of finite size has
>>> a finite number of configurations; for returning any decision I
>>> also appreciate that the SHD might not answer within the lifetime
>>> of the observable universe but that would still, I suggest, be a
>>> finite not infinite time.
>>
>> What has this got to do with explicitly giving an answer that is
>> neither 1 nor 2? All computations halt or they do not halt, so the
>> answer is always 1 or 2.
>
> This is why I class the pathological input contradiction as an error, as
> an exception to be raised/signaled, rather than a decision of halting or
> non-halting. This is only interesting as a possible refutation of the
> HP proofs based on [Strachey 1965]; it doesn't have any practical
> utility.

The first problem comes in trying to actually define exactly what the
"exception" should de defined to be.

One big issue is that Peter's H and P aren't really independent
computations. You DON'T have a program H that you provide a description
of an INDEPENDENT program P to, as H and P are intertwined in the same
process space.

This means that there are many possible P's that just can't be given to
H, because they want to put code in their address space that overlaps
with the code for the decider H.

Once you fix that issue, suddenly trying to implement is concept just
becomes impossible, because H can't count on a copy of H in P being at
the same address, because that could easily be some other code at that
address, and if P has a copy of H, that could be at some other address.

Then you have that for computations, "copies" like P is defined to be
using are defined as "functional" equivalents, one that gives the same
answer for every input, not that they need to be coded exactly the same
way (for example, with a Turing Machine, the "names" or "encoding" of
the states just don't matter, but can be permutated, and adding or
removing "null" code is valid. This makes identifying that a piece of
the code in P as being an equivalent of H a tough (i.e. impossible) task.

The second problem is that this "pathological" case isn't the only
"undecidable" one. There also exist programs that represent the
unprovable but true statements, where halting represents disproving the
statement, and proving not halting would be proving that statement. Note
that for some of these, it is also true that you can't even prove that
they are unprovable, because by there nature, a proof that they are
unprovable actually proves that they are true, as if they are false,
this would always be provable (being based on that implies the existance
of a counter example, and testing that counter example is always a
finite operation).

Goldbach's conjecture is a possible example of this (that all even
natural numbers are the sum of two primes). If there IS a counter
example, then there will be a finite number, and given any finite
number, you can cycle through all possible pairss of numbers that could
sum to it, (and there will be a finite number of these) and each of
these can be tested for being a prime in a finite number of steps, so if
it IS false, there WILL exist a number that can be proved to not be able
to be expressible as a pair of prime numbers using only a finite number
of steps.

THus, if we could prove that it IS unprovable, means there can't be a
counter example, which, by definition means it is proven to be true,
which means that the proof it was unprovable must be wrong.

This is part of the logic of Godel's incompleteness proof.

>> Some versions of 1, 2 and 3 are also impossible, but most are simply
>> not interesting.
>>

> /Flibble

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<3b653362-82e2-49e0-bf58-666c96dd76cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35492&group=comp.theory#35492

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 01:21:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 08:21 UTC

On Friday, 8 July 2022 at 03:56:20 UTC+1, richar...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> Goldbach's conjecture is a possible example of this (that all even
> natural numbers are the sum of two primes). If there IS a counter
> example, then there will be a finite number, and given any finite
> number, you can cycle through all possible pairss of numbers that could
> sum to it, (and there will be a finite number of these) and each of
> these can be tested for being a prime in a finite number of steps, so if
> it IS false, there WILL exist a number that can be proved to not be able
> to be expressible as a pair of prime numbers using only a finite number
> of steps.
>
> THus, if we could prove that it IS unprovable, means there can't be a
> counter example, which, by definition means it is proven to be true,
> which means that the proof it was unprovable must be wrong.
>
> This is part of the logic of Godel's incompleteness proof.

That's a very nice summary.
There are reasons you can't built halt deciders, other than the "paradox"
proof.

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<ea89350f-284d-4798-9ed0-4e11606a5eedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35493&group=comp.theory#35493

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 01:26:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 08:26 UTC

On Thursday, 7 July 2022 at 22:05:29 UTC+1, Mr Flibble wrote:

> I am aware of the problems with a simulation-based halting decider: for
> returning a decision of non-halting the SHD would rely on detecting
> repeated machine state given a machine of finite size has a finite
> number of configurations; for returning any decision I also appreciate
> that the SHD might not answer within the lifetime of the observable
> universe but that would still, I suggest, be a finite not infinite time.

If the machine halts in finite time, then a simulating halt decider will detect
halting in finite time. Whilst that's important from a logical perspective,
it's of no engineering value, because that finite time might be too long,
and you can't bound it without knowing the busy beaver champion.

A finite machine must always repeat states eventually if it doesn't halt.
Again, that's important logically, but not of any engineering value, because
the cycle time even of a quite small machine is too long.

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<87y1x3tpwk.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35504&group=comp.theory#35504

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 19:34:03 +0100
<ta40e8$14d3$1@gioia.aioe.org> <20220706170351.00007a2b@reddwarf.jmc>
<87o7y2xl94.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706173355.00006838@reddwarf.jmc>
<87czeixg45.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220706192701.000060b0@reddwarf.jmc>
<871quxydpr.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707015237.00005ece@reddwarf.jmc>
<87k08oww6m.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707204434.00003528@reddwarf.jmc>
<878rp4wstu.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707220534.00004660@reddwarf.jmc>
<87wncovbvs.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20220707225350.00000bdd@reddwarf.jmc>
<l1NxK.440535$zgr9.305079@fx13.iad>
<3b653362-82e2-49e0-bf58-666c96dd76cen@googlegroups.com>
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:34 UTC

Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]

>> example, then there will be a finite number, and given any finite
>> number, you can cycle through all possible pairss of numbers that could
>> sum to it, (and there will be a finite number of these) and each of
>> these can be tested for being a prime in a finite number of steps, so if
>> it IS false, there WILL exist a number that can be proved to not be able
>> to be expressible as a pair of prime numbers using only a finite number
>> of steps.
>>
>> THus, if we could prove that it IS unprovable, means there can't be a
>> counter example, which, by definition means it is proven to be true,
>> which means that the proof it was unprovable must be wrong.
>>
>> This is part of the logic of Godel's incompleteness proof.
>>
> That's a very nice summary.
> There are reasons you can't built halt deciders, other than the

Yes. It's really extraordinary how much time can be wasted on this
utterly trivial theorem. It's obvious that the must be undecidable sets
because there are only countably many TMs with any particular alphabet
but uncountably many sets of possible inputs. The only issue is how
plausible these undecidable sets can be.

Using undecidable arithmetic propositions is not, in my opinion, all
that persuasive since we can't, by definition, know any of these. But
specific undeciable problems (that are not in any way paradoxical) are
known. My favourite is Post's correspondence problem. It's simple to
state, easy to understand, and there is no algorithm to solve it. On
the more practical side there is the question of whether a context free
grammar is ambiguous or not.

--
Ben.

Re: An idea for a simulating halt decider

<kr3yK.51975$Dh2.6336@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35506&group=comp.theory#35506

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:52:48 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 23:52 UTC

On 7/8/22 2:34 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>> That's a very nice summary.
>> There are reasons you can't built halt deciders, other than the
>> "paradox" proof.
>
> Yes. It's really extraordinary how much time can be wasted on this
> utterly trivial theorem. It's obvious that the must be undecidable sets
> because there are only countably many TMs with any particular alphabet
> but uncountably many sets of possible inputs. The only issue is how
> plausible these undecidable sets can be.
>
> Using undecidable arithmetic propositions is not, in my opinion, all
> that persuasive since we can't, by definition, know any of these. But
> specific undeciable problems (that are not in any way paradoxical) are
> known. My favourite is Post's correspondence problem. It's simple to
> state, easy to understand, and there is no algorithm to solve it. On
> the more practical side there is the question of whether a context free

Part of the reason for that is that Peter isn't actually interested in
the Halting Problem or it proof, but only that the proof of the Halting
Theorem fuels a lot of proofs that not all Truths can actually be
proven, and He firmly is convinced that if you can't prove it, then it
can't be true.

He is so stuck on this idea that he at times tries to make that an axiom
that he then uses to prove a flaw in the proof of the Halting Theorem.

Since the Halting Problem isn't the core thing to him, he just isn't
spending time to understand it, which shows in the fundamental errors he
makes when trying to talk about it.