All laws are simulations of reality. -- John C. Lilly

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

SubjectAuthor
* How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
+* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Joerg Lorenz
|`- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
+* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Piet
|`* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
| `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Piet
|  `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
|    `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
|     +* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
|     |+* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sAndy Burnelli
|     ||`- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
|     |+- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
|     |`* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
|     | +- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
|     | `- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
|     `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sAndy Burnelli
|      `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
|       `- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
+* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -sms
|`- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
+- Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Carlos E.R.
`* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sFrank Slootweg
 `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
  `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sFrank Slootweg
   `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -Dudley Brooks
    `* Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02sFrank Slootweg
     `* The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photosDudley Brooks
      +* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD nospam
      |+* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theDudley Brooks
      ||`* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD nospam
      || `- Thanks, everyone, was Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, wasDudley Brooks
      |`- Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theAlan
      `* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theCarlos E.R.
       +* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD nospam
       |`* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theCarlos E.R.
       | `- Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD nospam
       +* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theJava Jive
       |`- Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theCarlos E.R.
       +- Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see thesms
       `* Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see theDudley Brooks
        `- Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD nospam

Pages:12
Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<32n94j-69t.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35011&group=comp.mobile.android#35011

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage -
Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:57:23 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

On 2022-11-14 02:43, Dudley Brooks wrote:

> Any advice on how to do it will be gratefully welcomed.
>
> (Once I get past that hurdle I will figure out what the path/device name
> is for the Android phone ... although, in advance, I will also welcome
> advice on that.)

I just googled "using photorec in windows to recover from internal
memory in android", found hits.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_FAQ

There are some instructions for Android, but old versions.

<https://ik4.es/en/restaurar-los-datos-de-android-desde-la-memoria-interna-montando-el-almacenamiento-interno-en-el-sistema/>

This one is very detailed. Despite the link, the instructions are in
English.

<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/112652/recovering-deleted-photos-on-internal-memory>

But it says to root the phone first. I can not recommend that road, has
its own risks. Oh, another post says root is not necessary.

They both seem to say you need adb and boot phone in recovery mode. I'm
not familiar with this.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tktt79.ia8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35014&group=comp.mobile.android#35014

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3
Date: 14 Nov 2022 16:17:40 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 16:17 UTC

Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
> On 11/13/22 5:08 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you for excellent, detailed advice. I really thought that the
> >> problem was going to be solved.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, besides the 93 photos which we knew had been successfully
> >> transferred to the SD card, I only found 1 photo in DCIM and 2 in
> >> "Pictures" (wherever that is) -- out of the several hundred which had
> >> originally been on the phone.
> >>
> >> Someone else suggested looking in Trash, but did not say how to find
> >> Trash. I will ask him ... but since you are obviously quite
> >> knowledgeable, and give clear explanations, may I ask you how to find
> >> Trash? Thanks!
> >
> > As far a I know, there are (at least) two 'Trash' folders, one general
> > one and one internal to the Gallery app.
> >
> > For the general one: Open the (Samsung) 'My Files' app. Its 'home page
> > should list 'Recent files', 'Categories', 'Storage' and 'Trash'. 'Trash'
> > might be hidden at the bottom of the page, so swipe down. Hopefully you
> > will find some photos there.
>
> Nope. Only 'Recent Files', 'Categories', 'Internal storage', and 'SD card'.

[Not for now, because you had to take another approach, but for a future
case:]

This is a Samsung phone, correct? And it's a somewhat recent one
(Android 11? 12?). If so, the 'Trash' folder has probably been switched
off! :-(

In the (Samsung) 'My Files' app: <three vertical dots icon> in the
upper-right -> Settings -> File management -> Trash (Keep deleted files
and folders for 30 days) -> switch is probably off.

> > For the one internal to the (Samsung) Gallery app: Open the Gallery
> > app. At the bottom on the right-hand side, there is a 'hamburger'/menu
> > icon (three horizontal lines), tap it. One of the menu choices is
> > 'Trash'. That is the 'Trash' folder which is internal to the Gallery
> > app, i.e. not used by other apps. Hopefullyyou will find some photos
> > there.
> >
> > For both Trash folders, you can restore files by long-pressing them,
> > selecting the desired ones and then tapping the 'Restore' button.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> That one is there. But, unfortunately the only files in it are the
> *intentionally* deleted files -- the ones which the simpler file restore
> programs were able to find.
>
> I have subsequently learned (see another branch of this thread) that the
> important missing files were actually trashed, and am hoping that the
> "data carving" program which Carlos E.R. recommended will be able to
> restore them. But I'm having trouble getting it to work (see that other
> thread).
>
> > P.S. Sorry for not being able to respond sooner. Yesterday I had a day
> > off Usenet.
>
> I envy you! ;^)

Yes, it was an early celebration of our 'Sinterklaas', similar to
Santa Claus, but not at Christmas but in early december. Apparently I
was a good boy, because I got presents. (Not being a good boy gets you
shipped to Spain in a bag. Why that's a bad thing at this time of year
is anybody's guess. The bag part is not so nice, but still.)

Good luck with your efforts to get the photos back.

The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmli14$vjt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35550&group=comp.mobile.android#35550

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:49:54 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 19:49 UTC

We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company that
does data recovery for high-end clients (including government agencies).

The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.

They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
alignment with the sectors. (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
remembering the exact terminology. But I understood what they meant.)

They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!

So we're considering our options. Those are several years of
emotionally very important photos to my friend.

A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
would give us a reduced rate.

Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.

(We checked out another place in San Francisco, but didn't feel so
impressed by it, so we didn't even leave the phone for an exam and
estimate.)

On 11/14/22 8:17 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

>>> As far a I know, there are (at least) two 'Trash' folders, one general
>>> one and one internal to the Gallery app.
>>>
>>> For the general one: Open the (Samsung) 'My Files' app. Its 'home page
>>> should list 'Recent files', 'Categories', 'Storage' and 'Trash'. 'Trash'
>>> might be hidden at the bottom of the page, so swipe down. Hopefully you
>>> will find some photos there.
>>
>> Nope. Only 'Recent Files', 'Categories', 'Internal storage', and 'SD card'.
>
> [Not for now, because you had to take another approach, but for a future
> case:]
>
> This is a Samsung phone, correct? And it's a somewhat recent one
> (Android 11? 12?). If so, the 'Trash' folder has probably been switched
> off! :-(
>
> In the (Samsung) 'My Files' app: <three vertical dots icon> in the
> upper-right -> Settings -> File management -> Trash (Keep deleted files
> and folders for 30 days) -> switch is probably off.
>
>>> For the one internal to the (Samsung) Gallery app: Open the Gallery
>>> app. At the bottom on the right-hand side, there is a 'hamburger'/menu
>>> icon (three horizontal lines), tap it. One of the menu choices is
>>> 'Trash'. That is the 'Trash' folder which is internal to the Gallery
>>> app, i.e. not used by other apps. Hopefullyyou will find some photos
>>> there.
>>>
>>> For both Trash folders, you can restore files by long-pressing them,
>>> selecting the desired ones and then tapping the 'Restore' button.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> That one is there. But, unfortunately the only files in it are the
>> *intentionally* deleted files -- the ones which the simpler file restore
>> programs were able to find.
>>
>> I have subsequently learned (see another branch of this thread) that the
>> important missing files were actually trashed, and am hoping that the
>> "data carving" program which Carlos E.R. recommended will be able to
>> restore them. But I'm having trouble getting it to work (see that other
>> thread).
>>
>>> P.S. Sorry for not being able to respond sooner. Yesterday I had a day
>>> off Usenet.
>>
>> I envy you! ;^)
>
> Yes, it was an early celebration of our 'Sinterklaas', similar to
> Santa Claus, but not at Christmas but in early december. Apparently I
> was a good boy, because I got presents. (Not being a good boy gets you
> shipped to Spain in a bag. Why that's a bad thing at this time of year
> is anybody's guess. The bag part is not so nice, but still.)
>
> Good luck with your efforts to get the photos back.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<051220221535095072%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35551&group=comp.mobile.android#35551

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 15:35:09 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 20:35 UTC

In article <tmli14$vjt$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
<dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company that
> does data recovery for high-end clients (including government agencies).

very wise choice.

> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>
> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
> alignment with the sectors. (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
> remembering the exact terminology. But I understood what they meant.)

that doesn't make sense.

> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!

they aren't cheap, but they are extremely good at what they do.

keep in mind that you only pay if they are successful. if they can't
recover anything, there is no cost.

> So we're considering our options. Those are several years of
> emotionally very important photos to my friend.

then go with driversavers.

> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
> would give us a reduced rate.

there is only one copy of the data. if he or someone else fucks it up
and causes further corruption, it might be unrecoverable and result in
a total loss.

if anyone can do it, drivesavers can.

as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.

yep.

next time, make multiple backups. it's much cheaper and a lot less
hassle.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<uo526jxg5m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35555&group=comp.mobile.android#35555

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:51:58 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 21:51 UTC

On 2022-12-05 20:49, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company that
> does data recovery for high-end clients (including government agencies).
>
> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>
> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
> alignment with the sectors.  (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
> remembering the exact terminology.  But I understood what they meant.)

:-?

Strange.

> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>
> So we're considering our options.  Those are several years of
> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>
> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
> would give us a reduced rate.
>
> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>
> (We checked out another place in San Francisco, but didn't feel so
> impressed by it, so we didn't even leave the phone for an exam and
> estimate.)

Consider that, as nospam says, there is only one copy of the data, and a
bad expert can fuck it and corrupt it for ever.

I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.

Basically:

- Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
card holder, and the "dd" program.

Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.

- Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
else. Nobody touches the card ever again.

- Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk into
a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery software,
starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is possible to
start over many times, copying that first copy as many times as needed.

- If that doesn't work, I would go to those experts from DriveSavers.

In any case, keep that card out of the phone. In a metal box (a pill box
is perfect, if you can find it; or a cigarette tin box).

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<051220221711402537%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35557&group=comp.mobile.android#35557

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 17:11:40 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:11 UTC

In article <uo526jxg5m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.
>
> Basically:
>
> - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
> card holder, and the "dd" program.

also use a forensic card reader that blocks writing.

> Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
> check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
> does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.

yep. it's very easy to fuck up.

> - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.

it doesn't have to be metal, but put it in a safe place and do not
touch it anymore. at all.

> - Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk into
> a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery software,
> starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is possible to
> start over many times, copying that first copy as many times as needed.

yep, hack away at the copy, even a disk image will suffice.

meanwhile, the original is safe.

> - If that doesn't work, I would go to those experts from DriveSavers.

yep.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmlrrl$1nbb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35559&group=comp.mobile.android#35559

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:37:39 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:37 UTC

On 05/12/2022 21:51, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-12-05 20:49, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company
>> that does data recovery for high-end clients (including government
>> agencies).
>>
>> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
>> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>>
>> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
>> alignment with the sectors.  (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
>> remembering the exact terminology.  But I understood what they meant.)
>
> :-?
>
> Strange.
>

>> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
>> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>>
>> So we're considering our options.  Those are several years of
>> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>>
>> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
>> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
>> would give us a reduced rate.
>>
>> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>>
>> (We checked out another place in San Francisco, but didn't feel so
>> impressed by it, so we didn't even leave the phone for an exam and
>> estimate.)
>

> Consider that, as nospam says, there is only one copy of the data, and a
> bad expert can fuck it and corrupt it for ever.
>

> I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.
>
> Basically:
>
>  - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
> card holder, and the "dd" program.
>
>  Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
> check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
> does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.
>
>  - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.

Here, you could try mounting the image as a loop device.

>  - Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk into
> a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery software,
> starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is possible to
> start over many times, copying that first copy as many times as needed.
>
>  - If that doesn't work, I would go to those experts from DriveSavers.
>

> In any case, keep that card out of the phone. In a metal box (a pill box
> is perfect, if you can find it; or a cigarette tin box).

+1

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<9r826jxiqo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35560&group=comp.mobile.android#35560

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 23:44:25 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:44 UTC

On 2022-12-05 23:11, nospam wrote:
> In article <uo526jxg5m.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.
>>
>> Basically:
>>
>> - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
>> card holder, and the "dd" program.
>
> also use a forensic card reader that blocks writing.

Hum.

Interesting idea. I don't have any.

Google finds them for about £80

https://avatu.co.uk/products/ultrablock-forensic-card-reader

https://digitalintelligence.com/store/products/w2530

They don't mention operating system.

>> Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
>> check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
>> does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.
>
> yep. it's very easy to fuck up.
>
>> - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
>> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.
>
> it doesn't have to be metal, but put it in a safe place and do not
> touch it anymore. at all.

Metal protects from fields and discharges, somewhat.

>> - Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk into
>> a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery software,
>> starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is possible to
>> start over many times, copying that first copy as many times as needed.
>
> yep, hack away at the copy, even a disk image will suffice.

Yes, that is, a file that is a disk image of the card.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<od926jxiqo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35561&group=comp.mobile.android#35561

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 23:54:16 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 22:54 UTC

On 2022-12-05 23:37, Java Jive wrote:
> On 05/12/2022 21:51, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-12-05 20:49, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>>> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company
>>> that does data recovery for high-end clients (including government
>>> agencies).
>>>
>>> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
>>> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>>>
>>> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
>>> alignment with the sectors.  (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
>>> remembering the exact terminology.  But I understood what they meant.)
>>
>> :-?
>>
>> Strange.
>>

>>> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
>>> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>>>
>>> So we're considering our options.  Those are several years of
>>> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>>>
>>> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do
>>> ... by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert
>>> who would give us a reduced rate.
>>>
>>> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>>>
>>> (We checked out another place in San Francisco, but didn't feel so
>>> impressed by it, so we didn't even leave the phone for an exam and
>>> estimate.)
>>

>> Consider that, as nospam says, there is only one copy of the data, and
>> a bad expert can fuck it and corrupt it for ever.
>>

>> I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.
>>
>> Basically:
>>
>>   - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and
>> a card holder, and the "dd" program.
>>
>>   Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
>> check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
>> does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.
>>
>>   - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
>> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.
>
> Here, you could try mounting the image as a loop device.

Certainly. Some recovery software needs that, some doesn't.

>>   - Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk
>> into a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery
>> software, starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is
>> possible to start over many times, copying that first copy as many
>> times as needed.

Oh I forgot "testdisk", from the same people as "photorec".

Once I used "Restorer Ultimate", payware, reccomended on an ntfs disk
that photorec failed to recover, on their web site. Worked well.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<051220221803030240%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35562&group=comp.mobile.android#35562

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 18:03:03 -0500
 by: nospam - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 23:03 UTC

In article <9r826jxiqo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
> >> card holder, and the "dd" program.
> >
> > also use a forensic card reader that blocks writing.
>
> Hum.
>
> Interesting idea. I don't have any.
>
> Google finds them for about £80
>
> https://avatu.co.uk/products/ultrablock-forensic-card-reader
>
> https://digitalintelligence.com/store/products/w2530
>

> They don't mention operating system.

no need, because it's a normal card reader that blocks writes and
should show up as a standard usb mass storage device which is operating
system agnostic.

> >> - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
> >> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.
> >
> > it doesn't have to be metal, but put it in a safe place and do not
> > touch it anymore. at all.
>
> Metal protects from fields and discharges, somewhat.

it will have no effect on the card.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmlusq$1tnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35565&group=comp.mobile.android#35565

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 15:29:29 -0800
 by: sms - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 23:29 UTC

On 12/5/2022 1:51 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-12-05 20:49, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company
>> that does data recovery for high-end clients (including government
>> agencies).
>>
>> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
>> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>>
>> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
>> alignment with the sectors.  (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
>> remembering the exact terminology.  But I understood what they meant.)
>
> :-?
>
> Strange.
>

>> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
>> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>>
>> So we're considering our options.  Those are several years of
>> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>>
>> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
>> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
>> would give us a reduced rate.
>>
>> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>>
>> (We checked out another place in San Francisco, but didn't feel so
>> impressed by it, so we didn't even leave the phone for an exam and
>> estimate.)
>

> Consider that, as nospam says, there is only one copy of the data, and a
> bad expert can fuck it and corrupt it for ever.
>

> I know what I would do, and if someone like me does it, it is safe.
>
> Basically:
>
>  - Create an image copy of the card, using a computer with Linux and a
> card holder, and the "dd" program.
>
>  Notice that the dd program is powerful and _dangerous_. It doesn't
> check to see that what you tell it to do is correct and safe. It just
> does what you tell it. You are god. You decide. Your orders are supreme.
>
>  - Once done, remove the card and keep it in a metal box with nothing
> else. Nobody touches the card ever again.
>
>  - Once having that copy, I would copy it again from my hard disk into
> a second copy, and on that second copy I would run recovery software,
> starting with "photorec", and if not, "foremost". It is possible to
> start over many times, copying that first copy as many times as needed.
>
>  - If that doesn't work, I would go to those experts from DriveSavers.
>

> In any case, keep that card out of the phone. In a metal box (a pill box
> is perfect, if you can find it; or a cigarette tin box).

Good suggestion. I've often recovered data from hard drives using Linux
when Windows could not read the corrupted drive.

One question is whether the the Android phone formatted the MicroSD card
for internal storage (ext4 or f2fs) or removable storage (exFAT). If
it's the former then it's unlikely that he'll ever be able to recover
anything.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmm1d0$25fd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35566&group=comp.mobile.android#35566

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:12:14 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 00:12 UTC

On 12/5/22 12:35 PM, nospam wrote:

> In article <tmli14$vjt$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
> <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>
>> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company that
>> does data recovery for high-end clients (including government agencies).
>
> very wise choice.

Thanks.

>> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
>> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>>
>> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
>> alignment with the sectors. (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
>> remembering the exact terminology. But I understood what they meant.)
>
> that doesn't make sense.

As I said, I don't remember the exact wording. But it is *some kind* if
out-of-alignment problem regarding where the data is.

>> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
>> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>
> they aren't cheap, but they are extremely good at what they do.

Yep.

> keep in mind that you only pay if they are successful. if they can't
> recover anything, there is no cost.

Yep.

>> So we're considering our options. Those are several years of
>> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>
> then go with driversavers.

Yep.

>> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
>> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
>> would give us a reduced rate.
>
> there is only one copy of the data. if he or someone else fucks it up
> and causes further corruption, it might be unrecoverable and result in
> a total loss.

That's exactly what I'm worried about.

> if anyone can do it, drivesavers can.

That's the feeling that I got.

> as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Yep.

>> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>
> yep.

Yep!

> next time, make multiple backups. it's much cheaper and a lot less
> hassle.

That's what I don't understand. I always set up multiple automatic
backups of EVERYTHING. I set up backups of her computer, I set up
backups of my computer, I set up backups of MY phone ... how in the
world did I neglect to set up backups of HER phone???

But somehow, sadly, I did ...

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmm1pu$269a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35567&group=comp.mobile.android#35567

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:19:08 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 00:19 UTC

Excellent advice.

I had already read elsewhere the advice about ONLY working on a copy of
the data (or a copy of a copy!) ... pluse that is what DriveSavers says
they do ... plus I'm pretty sure I would have realized that myself.

I had also read about some software like you mention. But, even if only
working on a copy of a copy, I'm not sure I trust myself to do
everything correctly even MAKING the first copy, e.g. physically
damaging the card while putting it in the slot, or -- is it possible for
the card to be effected by static electricity?

Anyway, something where I really want to leave it to experts ... highly
recommended experts!

(See my responsea to nospam, above, for my comments on some of the same
information and advice you give.)

<051220221957054224%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35569&group=comp.mobile.android#35569

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 19:57:05 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 00:57 UTC

In article <tmm1pu$269a$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
<dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

> I had also read about some software like you mention. But, even if only
> working on a copy of a copy, I'm not sure I trust myself to do
> everything correctly even MAKING the first copy, e.g. physically
> damaging the card while putting it in the slot,

find someone to make a copy.

> or -- is it possible for
> the card to be effected by static electricity?

yes, but not likely.

> Anyway, something where I really want to leave it to experts ... highly
> recommended experts!

that's why it's expensive. you're paying for their expertise and
forensic hardware tools.

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<051220221957084402%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35570&group=comp.mobile.android#35570

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 19:57:08 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 00:57 UTC

In article <tmm1d0$25fd$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
<dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

> >> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
> >> alignment with the sectors. (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
> >> remembering the exact terminology. But I understood what they meant.)
> >
> > that doesn't make sense.
>
> As I said, I don't remember the exact wording. But it is *some kind* if
> out-of-alignment problem regarding where the data is.

there is no alignment on flash.

the only thing i can think of is the directory structures are corrupt
and don't 'align' with what's actually in the file system. that's an
odd way to describe it but as you said, you don't remember the exact
wording.

if so, recovery will be much easier than if the card itself failed and
is not readable,

> >> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
> >> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
> >> would give us a reduced rate.
> >
> > there is only one copy of the data. if he or someone else fucks it up
> > and causes further corruption, it might be unrecoverable and result in
> > a total loss.
>
> That's exactly what I'm worried about.

if you seek alternatives, be absolutely sure you use a forensic card
reader that is write-blocked to prevent *any* writing to the card,
including from any background processes. do not trust the write-protect
switch on the card (although set it anyway).

make a full copy (dd works, but other tools are available) and use
*the* *copy* as the original. put the true original in a safe place.

copy that file to a new flash card or duplicate the file and work on
that. keep making copies and trying new tools until you recover
everything or you give up.

the better recovery tools are not free but usually have a 'demo' mode
that shows what would be recovered if you pay, or recovers only one
file, or some other type of limitation.

in another post you said you don't trust yourself. find someone you do
trust and who knows what they're doing to help.

if that doesn't work, send the card to drive savers.

> > if anyone can do it, drivesavers can.
>
> That's the feeling that I got.

i've known about drive savers for a couple of decades. they're *very*
good. they're also not cheap.

<https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/company/museum-of-bizarre-disk-aste
rs/>

> > next time, make multiple backups. it's much cheaper and a lot less
> > hassle.
>
> That's what I don't understand. I always set up multiple automatic
> backups of EVERYTHING. I set up backups of her computer, I set up
> backups of my computer, I set up backups of MY phone ... how in the
> world did I neglect to set up backups of HER phone???

nobody's perfect. everyone makes mistakes.

murphy's law says the failure will be the most important stuff...

Thanks, everyone, was Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmmafd$5hj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35573&group=comp.mobile.android#35573

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Thanks, everyone, was Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 18:47:07 -0800
 by: Dudley Brooks - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:47 UTC

Thanks to all the people who sent good advice and information -- mostly
the same advice and a lot of the same info, plus a little extra.

I've decided that DriveSavers it is.

See my earliest response to nospam, above, for my agreements with and
comments on the things that most of you have been saying.

I appreciate everyone's eagerness to help. Somewhat surprisingly, "The
problem and the EXPENSIVE solution" provoked the fastest responses I
have ever had, let alone so many!

Thanks so much. I will post the results ... when they happen.

Amen!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: The problem and the EXPENSIVE solution, was Re: How to see the photos on SD Card AND those on Internal Storage - Galaxy A02s, Android 11, Gallery 12.1.07.1Q, Camera 9.0.05.3

<tmo348$9qno$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35594&group=comp.mobile.android#35594

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 10:53:58 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 18:53 UTC

On 2022-12-05 12:35, nospam wrote:
> In article <tmli14$vjt$1@dont-email.me>, Dudley Brooks
> <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>
>> We took the phone to DriveSavers, a San Francisco Bay Area company that
>> does data recovery for high-end clients (including government agencies).
>
> very wise choice.
>
>> The said that there is no hidden data on the internal storage, except
>> for the files in the Trash, which I already knew about.
>>
>> They said that on the SD Card the problem is that the data is out of
>> alignment with the sectors. (My recollection -- not sure if I'm
>> remembering the exact terminology. But I understood what they meant.)
>
> that doesn't make sense.
>
>> They also said that they can *possibly* restore it - but, if so, the
>> cost would be somewhere around $3000.00!
>
> they aren't cheap, but they are extremely good at what they do.
>
> keep in mind that you only pay if they are successful. if they can't
> recover anything, there is no cost.
>
>> So we're considering our options. Those are several years of
>> emotionally very important photos to my friend.
>
> then go with driversavers.
>
>> A friend in the computer industry said he would see what he can do ...
>> by which I hope he means that he will see if he knows some expert who
>> would give us a reduced rate.
>
> there is only one copy of the data. if he or someone else fucks it up
> and causes further corruption, it might be unrecoverable and result in
> a total loss.
>
> if anyone can do it, drivesavers can.
>
> as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
>
>> Otherwise we'll just have to fork out the money.
>
> yep.
>
> next time, make multiple backups. it's much cheaper and a lot less
> hassle.

I second the recommendation of DriveSavers.