Any given program will expand to fill available memory.

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

SubjectAuthor
* Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?William Unruh
+- Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Bobbie Sellers
+* Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?David W. Hodgins
|`- Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?William Unruh
`* Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
 `* Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?William Unruh
  `* Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
   +* Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?David W. Hodgins
   |`- Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
   `* [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Bit Twister
    `* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
     +* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Aragorn
     |`* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
     | +- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Aragorn
     | `- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?David W. Hodgins
     `* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Bit Twister
      +* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
      |`* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Aragorn
      | `* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
      |  +* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Bit Twister
      |  |`- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
      |  +* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Aragorn
      |  |`- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
      |  `- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?David W. Hodgins
      `* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
       +- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?David W. Hodgins
       +* Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Aragorn
       |`- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?faeychild
       `- Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?Bit Twister

Pages:12
Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s6undq$21g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3561

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 18:16:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 5 May 2021 18:16 UTC

I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only
allows me to change the number or rows, not columns it seems.
Any clies as to how I can get what I want-- if necessary, having them
arranged horizontally rather than would be more useful than what I have
now. ( and no, I do not like my taskbar along the right or left edges.)

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s6uqcv$q4j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3562

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 12:07:10 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Wed, 5 May 2021 19:07 UTC

On 5/5/21 11:16 AM, William Unruh wrote:
> I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
> square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
> arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
> screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only
> allows me to change the number or rows, not columns it seems.
> Any clies as to how I can get what I want-- if necessary, having them
> arranged horizontally rather than would be more useful than what I have
> now. ( and no, I do not like my taskbar along the right or left edges.)

Well I use a different fork but what I do is create another panel
vertically and stash the pager there along with some other tools
and games. My setup is main panel on top and I have the panel to the
left side. Think of an L rotated 90 degrees clockwise. but I leave a
gap between the horizonal and the vertical panel. Vertical is 60
pixels and Horizontal 58 pixels in width.

bliss-“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many do.” After
all here I am...

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<op.02xstohga3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3565

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 16:35:38 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 5 May 2021 20:35 UTC

On Wed, 05 May 2021 14:16:26 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
> square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
> arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
> screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only
> allows me to change the number or rows, not columns it seems.
> Any clies as to how I can get what I want-- if necessary, having them
> arranged horizontally rather than would be more useful than what I have
> now. ( and no, I do not like my taskbar along the right or left edges.)

Specify 2 rows. Click on Desktop 1 then the Add button to get a second column
in the first row.

Click on the first desktop in row 2, then add to get a second column in the
second row.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s6v32q$jk5$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3568

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 21:35:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 5 May 2021 21:35 UTC

Once again you come through. This is not something I would ever have
thought of.
Weird
On 2021-05-05, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2021 14:16:26 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
>> square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
>> arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
>> screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only
>> allows me to change the number or rows, not columns it seems.
>> Any clies as to how I can get what I want-- if necessary, having them
>> arranged horizontally rather than would be more useful than what I have
>> now. ( and no, I do not like my taskbar along the right or left edges.)
>
> Specify 2 rows. Click on Desktop 1 then the Add button to get a second column
> in the first row.
>
> Click on the first desktop in row 2, then add to get a second column in the
> second row.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s6v9n4$tha$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3569&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3569

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 09:28:33 +1000
 by: faeychild - Wed, 5 May 2021 23:28 UTC

On 6/5/21 4:16 am, William Unruh wrote:
> I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
> square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
> arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
> screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only

I have 4 desktops on Mageia 8 and the arrangement on the taskbar is the
same as for Mageia 7 a square 2x2. So it can be done!

You could isolate it to your setup by comparing with another user
eg: BitTwister's "junk" user

Or just rename each of your appropriate hidden folders until you crack it.

A good way to use up spare time :-)

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.30-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s6vekj$j33$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3570&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3570

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 00:52:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 6 May 2021 00:52 UTC

Given Hodgins' comments it was finally done.

You have to tell it how many rows you want, and then populate each row
with the number of desktops (giveng them names other than "new Desktop"
The Add button adds them, and will fill them a row at a time. Thus you
tell it you want 2 rows, The first desktop will already by put into row
1. You click on Add, and the second one goes into row 2. then you click
on add again and teh third one goes into row 2 displacing the seond into
row 1, and then again and you get a second on in row 2.

On 2021-05-05, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 6/5/21 4:16 am, William Unruh wrote:
>> I like to have 4 virtual desktops. On Mageia 7 they are arranged in a
>> square (2x2) on the taskbar. In Mageia 8 it seems that the only
>> arrangment is 4 vertical. Without making the taskbar take up half the
>> screen, that makes them almost impossible to see. The configuration only
>

> I have 4 desktops on Mageia 8 and the arrangement on the taskbar is the
> same as for Mageia 7 a square 2x2. So it can be done!
>
> You could isolate it to your setup by comparing with another user
> eg: BitTwister's "junk" user
>
> Or just rename each of your appropriate hidden folders until you crack it.
>
> A good way to use up spare time :-)
As usual I did a fresh install on Mga8 (i had put a new ssd into my
laptop) and then had to fix up everything that broke in the new one.
That has taken up about 3 days of my time. Yeah lots of spare time I
have-- only about 5 papers I have to write:-)

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s7239f$f1g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3573&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3573

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 10:57:17 +1000
 by: faeychild - Fri, 7 May 2021 00:57 UTC

On 6/5/21 10:52 am, William Unruh wrote:

>> A good way to use up spare time :-)
> As usual I did a fresh install on Mga8 (i had put a new ssd into my
> laptop) and then had to fix up everything that broke in the new one.
> That has taken up about 3 days of my time. Yeah lots of spare time I
> have-- only about 5 papers I have to write:-)

YEP

This morning I was switching to different releases on various partitions
only to find on my return that Mageia 8 locked up on the login screen.

I tried various approaches including reinstalling over the the original,
which can be a time saver

Not this time though. I am reinstalling. From scratch - almost.
Fortunately I do have a backup of $HOME so most of the config stuff is
intact.

If not for that I would probably have to kill someone
I am not looking forward to the Printer install

C'est la "bloody" vie

And Yes I know that it's my fault. Last night I was thinking about
running Bit Twister's backup rsync file while I was ahead.

How wonderful it is to be prophetic

Regards

PS Ah yes the signature file must also be reinstalled.

Did you know that the mouse single click option is no longer part of the
mouse settings That is going to infuriate me until I locate it.

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<op.02z2fcrza3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3574&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3574

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 21:58:14 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 7 May 2021 01:58 UTC

On Thu, 06 May 2021 20:57:17 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> Did you know that the mouse single click option is no longer part of the
> mouse settings That is going to infuriate me until I locate it.

For plasma, systemsettings5, Workspace, Workspace Behaviour, General Behaviour

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s72dlj$9jp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3575&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3575

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 13:54:27 +1000
 by: faeychild - Fri, 7 May 2021 03:54 UTC

On 7/5/21 11:58 am, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Thu, 06 May 2021 20:57:17 -0400, faeychild
> <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> Did you know that the mouse single click option is no longer part of the
>> mouse settings That is going to infuriate me until I locate it.
>
> For plasma, systemsettings5, Workspace, Workspace Behaviour, General
> Behaviour

Thanks Dave. One click has returned

[OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<slrns99ki6.18dh.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3576&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3576

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 00:38:13 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 7 May 2021 05:38 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 10:57:17 +1000, faeychild wrote:

> This morning I was switching to different releases on various partitions
> only to find on my return that Mageia 8 locked up on the login screen.

What do you mean "locked up on the login screen"

If you mean entered password and it returned to login screen.
then you have a problem in one or more files used in the login
process. Usual problem is some user file is owned by root because
user used "su" instead of "su -root" or "su -"

If you have a test account, say junk, and you can log into the
junk account then it is a user problem, not a system problem
requiring a reinstall.

All the above assumes no "/" partitions are shared between installs.
/home does not count as a "/" partition.

Checking my faeychild documentation I noticed I do not have what
Desktop Environment you are using. I would appreciate if you gave the
output from the following:

env | sort | grep XDG_

lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,PARTLABEL

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s72olj$42t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3577&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3577

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:02:06 +1000
 by: faeychild - Fri, 7 May 2021 07:02 UTC

On 7/5/21 3:38 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2021 10:57:17 +1000, faeychild wrote:
>

>> This morning I was switching to different releases on various partitions
>> only to find on my return that Mageia 8 locked up on the login screen.
>
> What do you mean "locked up on the login screen"

When the password was entered the login screen became unresponsive
the shutdown restart sleep icons failed to highlight
I had to power cycle to shutdown

> If you mean entered password and it returned to login screen.
> then you have a problem in one or more files used in the login
> process. Usual problem is some user file is owned by root because
> user used "su" instead of "su -root" or "su -"

I tend to be particular about using su with the dash for that very reason

> If you have a test account, say junk, and you can log into the
> junk account then it is a user problem, not a system problem
> requiring a reinstall.

I didn't think to try junk but it may have not been a selectable option
either.

> All the above assumes no "/" partitions are shared between installs.
> /home does not count as a "/" partition.

No! MGA 6 and MGA 7 are on separate partitions with their own
integrated "home" folder

> Checking my faeychild documentation I noticed I do not have what
> Desktop Environment you are using. I would appreciate if you gave the
> output from the following:

I was in the throes of installing and hadn't setup the signature file yet

I am impressed that you have faeychild docs
I have Bit Twister docs :-)

I am not sure the info you ask for will help much. This is a fresh
install - and so far... it's OK

The major stuff was up and running fairly quickly. It;s just the
fiddly bits. Little extra tools and stuff

I still have to install the printer. This time the Mageia installation
did NOT include the dpkg package So it won't have to be disabled for the
printer driver script

It should have been included but as I find, every install is a little
different.

> env | sort | grep XDG_

[root@unimatrix ~]# env | sort | grep XDG_
[root@unimatrix ~]#

[nothing]

Ah-Ha NOT to be run as root.

[faeychild@unimatrix ~]$ env | sort | grep XDG
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg/kf5:/var/lib/plasma5-profiles/common/xdg
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/var/lib/plasma5-profiles/common/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=plasma-
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
XDG_SESSION_ID=c2
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_VTNR=1

> lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,PARTLABEL

[root@unimatrix ~]# lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,PARTLABEL
NAME SIZE FSTYPE LABEL MOUNTPOINT PARTLABEL
sda 5.5T
└─sda1 5.5T ext4 video /video video
sdb 29.7G
└─sdb1 29.7G vfat /run/media/faeychild/0000-7E68
sr0 1024M
nvme0n1 119.2G
├─nvme0n1p1 299M vfat /boot/EFI efi
├─nvme0n1p2 22.3G ext4 mageia mageia
├─nvme0n1p3 10.6G swap swap [SWAP] swap
├─nvme0n1p4 12.2G ext4 tmp tmp
├─nvme0n1p5 20.4G ext4 mageia_bu mageia_bu
├─nvme0n1p6 2G ext4 boot_iso boot_iso
├─nvme0n1p7 24.9G ext4 mageia_6 mageia_6
└─nvme0n1p8 26.5G ext4 mga8 / test

I am going for a youtube or reddit break and coffee

regards

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.33-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<20210507092413.6ec29846@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3578&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3578

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 09:24:13 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 7 May 2021 07:24 UTC

On 07.05.2021 at 17:02, faeychild scribbled:

> On 7/5/21 3:38 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 7 May 2021 10:57:17 +1000, faeychild wrote:
> >

> >> This morning I was switching to different releases on various
> >> partitions only to find on my return that Mageia 8 locked up on
> >> the login screen.
> >
> > What do you mean "locked up on the login screen"
>
> When the password was entered the login screen became unresponsive
> the shutdown restart sleep icons failed to highlight
> I had to power cycle to shutdown

I am thoroughly surprised that after, what, 15 years, you still don't
know the trick with the Magic SysRq keys. :)

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<slrns99ucg.1fa8.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3579&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3579

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 03:25:46 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 7 May 2021 08:25 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 17:02:06 +1000, faeychild wrote:
> On 7/5/21 3:38 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 May 2021 10:57:17 +1000, faeychild wrote:
>>

>>> This morning I was switching to different releases on various partitions
>>> only to find on my return that Mageia 8 locked up on the login screen.
>>
>> What do you mean "locked up on the login screen"
>
> When the password was entered the login screen became unresponsive
> the shutdown restart sleep icons failed to highlight
> I had to power cycle to shutdown

Ok, Display manager was ok until password which gets you logged
in and then runs ~/bash_profile, .bashrc, and your plasma (DE)
stuff. Since there are no plasma files, it does take X times longer
than normal for the DE to appear

> I didn't think to try junk but it may have not been a selectable option
> either.

The fact that you could enter a password, indicates you should have
been able to pick any user then enter their passwood,

>> All the above assumes no "/" partitions are shared between installs.
>> /home does not count as a "/" partition.
>
> No! MGA 6 and MGA 7 are on separate partitions with their own
> integrated "home" folder

Quick check of my faeychild text file says you are sharing /tmp
across installs.

Your 12.2G /tmp is a waste since mine shows

[root@wb ~]# cd /tmp
[root@wb tmp]# du --summarize -h .
36K .

blocks used.

In my stupid opinion, /tmp should not be shared.

My suggestion would be modify all installs /etc/fstab to change
/tmp to say, /local, change partition label, create /local mount point
and mount it. Then you could put scripts and whatnot in /local which
could be shared across installs.

For example
$ ls /local/
bin cron icons log opt ppp tmp
config doc lock lost+found phone sounds

I do hope you have a rescue cd just in case of problems with the above.

> I am impressed that you have faeychild docs

I have text file for common posters who have questions/problems
about their setup, faeychild, pinnerite, santo.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s74b9c$dl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3584&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3584

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 07:26:04 +1000
 by: faeychild - Fri, 7 May 2021 21:26 UTC

On 7/5/21 5:24 pm, Aragorn wrote:

> I am thoroughly surprised that after, what, 15 years, you still don't
> know the trick with the Magic SysRq keys. :)

I can never remember it!!!!

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.33-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-7-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s74bu7$5ii$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3585&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3585

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 07:37:05 +1000
 by: faeychild - Fri, 7 May 2021 21:37 UTC

On 7/5/21 6:25 pm, Bit Twister wrote:

> Quick check of my faeychild text file says you are sharing /tmp
> across installs.

Yep

> Your 12.2G /tmp is a waste since mine shows
>
> [root@wb ~]# cd /tmp
> [root@wb tmp]# du --summarize -h .
> 36K .
>
> blocks used.

Once upon a time I ha a program run out of tmp space

> In my stupid opinion, /tmp should not be shared.

I believe you have a point. How about a script to clear all tmp files on
shutdown. I have one somewhere currently not running

> My suggestion would be modify all installs /etc/fstab to change
> /tmp to say, /local, change partition label, create /local mount point
> and mount it. Then you could put scripts and whatnot in /local which
> could be shared across installs.
>
> For example
> $ ls /local/
> bin cron icons log opt ppp tmp
> config doc lock lost+found phone sounds
>

> I do hope you have a rescue cd just in case of problems with the above.

I'll read this later in the day when I have brain function

Of Dear!! My numberlock is not activating despite being set. Same for
junk. It goes on and on...

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.33-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-7-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<20210507234016.5cfc9163@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3586&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3586

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 23:40:16 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 7 May 2021 21:40 UTC

On 08.05.2021 at 07:26, faeychild scribbled:

> On 7/5/21 5:24 pm, Aragorn wrote:
>
> > I am thoroughly surprised that after, what, 15 years, you still
> > don't know the trick with the Magic SysRq keys. :)
> >

> I can never remember it!!!!

Hold Alt and PrtScr/SysRq together and then type the first character of
every word in the following sentence, interspersed by about two seconds
between each key press...:

"Raising Skinny Elephants Is Still Utterly Boring"

:p

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<20210507235055.762bbe70@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3587&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3587

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 23:50:55 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Fri, 7 May 2021 21:50 UTC

On 08.05.2021 at 07:37, faeychild scribbled:

> On 7/5/21 6:25 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
>
> > Your 12.2G /tmp is a waste since mine shows
> >
> > [root@wb ~]# cd /tmp
> > [root@wb tmp]# du --summarize -h .
> > 36K .
> >
> > blocks used.
>
> Once upon a time I ha a program run out of tmp space
>
> > In my stupid opinion, /tmp should not be shared.
>
> I believe you have a point. How about a script to clear all tmp files
> on shutdown. I have one somewhere currently not running

1. Install tmpwatch. It'll clean out all unused entries in /tmp and
/var/tmp.

2. In a distribution that uses systemd, /tmp will normally be a tmpfs,
and thus it'll automatically be emptied across reboots.

> Of Dear!! My numberlock is not activating despite being set. Same
> for junk. It goes on and on...

1. In /etc/sddm.conf... ↓

[General]
InputMethod Numlock=on

2. In Plasma's System Settings... ↓

Hardware → Input Devices → Keyboard → NumLock on Plasma Startup

3. Optionally, still in System Settings:Keyboard, click the
"Advanced" tab and click the "+" next to "Compatibility Options".
Tick the box next to "Numeric keypad always enters digits (like in
macOS".

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<op.021mw6fxa3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3588&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3588

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 18:18:32 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 7 May 2021 22:18 UTC

On Fri, 07 May 2021 17:26:04 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 7/5/21 5:24 pm, Aragorn wrote:
>> I am thoroughly surprised that after, what, 15 years, you still don't
>> know the trick with the Magic SysRq keys. :)
> I can never remember it!!!!

Hold down alt+ctrl+sysrq and then press the first letter of each word ...
Raising
Skinny
Elephants
Is
Still
Utterly
Boring

Replace Boring with Old for power off instead of boot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key includes keys for some keyboards
that don't have a print screen/sysrq key.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s74pls$dr3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3589

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 11:31:38 +1000
 by: faeychild - Sat, 8 May 2021 01:31 UTC

On 8/5/21 7:50 am, Aragorn wrote:

>> Of Dear!! My numberlock is not activating despite being set. Same
>> for junk. It goes on and on...
>
> 1. In /etc/sddm.conf... ↓
>
> [General]
> InputMethod=
> Numlock=on

The only one that worked.

I notice that sdd.conf.rpmnew is a lot more extensive.

Is that intended to replace sdd.conf?

regards

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.33-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-7-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<slrns9brc5.ake7.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3590

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 20:46:45 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Sat, 8 May 2021 01:46 UTC

On Sat, 8 May 2021 11:31:38 +1000, faeychild wrote:
> On 8/5/21 7:50 am, Aragorn wrote:
>
>>> Of Dear!! My numberlock is not activating despite being set. Same
>>> for junk. It goes on and on...
>>
>> 1. In /etc/sddm.conf... ↓
>>
>> [General]
>> InputMethod=
>> Numlock=on
>

> The only one that worked.
>
> I notice that sdd.conf.rpmnew is a lot more extensive.
>
> Is that intended to replace sdd.conf?

You get a whatever.rpmnew when the package releases an update
containing a whatever file that does not match the current file,
usually because you modified the whatever file.

If you do upgrades instead of clean installs, you would see larger
number of .rpmnew files.

I always use the .rpmnew file and reapply my changes.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<20210508041530.64c81df0@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3591

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 04:15:30 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Sat, 8 May 2021 02:15 UTC

On 08.05.2021 at 11:31, faeychild scribbled:

> On 8/5/21 7:50 am, Aragorn wrote:
>
> >> Of Dear!! My numberlock is not activating despite being set. Same
> >> for junk. It goes on and on...
> >
> > 1. In /etc/sddm.conf... ↓
> >
> > [General]
> > InputMethod> > Numlock=on
>

> The only one that worked.
>
> I notice that sdd.conf.rpmnew is a lot more extensive.
>
> Is that intended to replace sdd.conf?

It's "sddm.conf(.rpmnew)" — spelling matters to a computer! ;)

The .rpmnew file contains some changes — often they are only inline
comments — and it is up to you to merge this file with the regular
configuration file. The package installs the new configuration file as
sddm.conf.rpmnew if you have made any modifications to the original
sddm.conf file.

Compare the two files side by side, and merge the changes from the
..rpmnew file into the regular sddm.conf without removing your own
modifications. Afterwards you can delete the .rpmnew file.

We have a similar thing in Manjaro. Only there, they are .pacnew
files, because Manjaro is based upon Arch and therefore it uses the Arch
Linux Package Manager, pacman, with .pkg.tar.zstd packages.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<s74tnq$ovs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3593&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3593

From: faeych...@nomail.afraid.org (faeychild)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 12:40:50 +1000
 by: faeychild - Sat, 8 May 2021 02:40 UTC

On 7/5/21 6:25 pm, Bit Twister wrote:

> In my stupid opinion, /tmp should not be shared.
>
> My suggestion would be modify all installs /etc/fstab to change
> /tmp to say, /local, change partition label, create /local mount point
> and mount it. Then you could put scripts and whatnot in /local which
> could be shared across installs.
>
> For example
> $ ls /local/
> bin cron icons log opt ppp tmp
> config doc lock lost+found phone sounds

I would like to clean up all the installs and just keep mageia 6. That's
the only release that dvdstyler will work on.

I assume from the above that you mean to reduce /tmp and create a
"local" partition.

> I do hope you have a rescue cd just in case of problems with the above.

The sysrescuecd is installed.

I still have trouble getting my head around, name, label, partlabel, and
Google searches don't make it any clearer.

The setup is currently working fine. It just need fine tuning. And I
would like to run your fstab script sometime to re-label fstab

And the PRINTER.

--
faeychild
Running plasmashell 5.20.4 on 5.10.33-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.
Mageia release 8 (Official) for x86_64 installed via Mageia-7-x86_64-DVD.iso

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<op.021xuqbia3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3594

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 22:14:40 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 8 May 2021 02:14 UTC

On Fri, 07 May 2021 21:31:38 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> I notice that sdd.conf.rpmnew is a lot more extensive.
> Is that intended to replace sdd.conf?

With all configuration files they will not be automatically replaced. I normally use
"kdiff3 /etc/sddm.conf.rpmnew /etc/sddm.conf &" (as root) to view the changes between
the new and old config files and select which ones I want, which may be new options,
or changes I (or config programs like mcc) have made based on my choices.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<op.0211hj2ha3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3595&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3595

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 23:33:09 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sat, 8 May 2021 03:33 UTC

On Fri, 07 May 2021 22:40:50 -0400, faeychild <faeychild@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> I would like to clean up all the installs and just keep mageia 6. That's
> the only release that dvdstyler will work on.

I don't have any working dvd drives to test it with. What's not working with it in
Mageia 8?

> I assume from the above that you mean to reduce /tmp and create a
> "local" partition.

The intention is to reuse the space currently mounted as /tmp with that space
being mounted using some other (not currently existing) mountpoint for things you
intend to share across multiple installs. Let /tmp be mounted as a tmpfs filesystem,
kept in ram. It's limited to growing in size to a max of half the amount of ram
by default.

> I still have trouble getting my head around, name, label, partlabel, and
> Google searches don't make it any clearer.

The name in lsblk is the partition device name, such as /dev/sda4.

The label is is inside the partition's header and is specified during partition
formatting, such as "mfks.ext4 /dev/sda4 -L mychoice" or changed later using
a command such as e2label. The label can be used in /etc/fstab entries for selecting
the file system to mount. Like a uuid, if it's used for selecting partitions during
boot, it must be unique. Each partition formatting command such as mkswap has
an option to specify the label. Most filesystem types have a way to change the
label, though the partition must be unmounted.

The above are the same whether using mbr or gpt partition tables.

The partlabel (also called partition name) is only availble with gpt. It's not used
for anything in linux so can be whatever you want. In a windows install, typical
names are EFI system partition, Microsoft reserved partition, and Basic data
partition.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: [OT] Re: Mageia 8 virtual desktops on Plasma taskbar?

<20210508054236.50295dc0@nx-74205>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3596

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 05:42:36 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Sat, 8 May 2021 03:42 UTC

On 08.05.2021 at 12:40, faeychild scribbled:

> I still have trouble getting my head around, name, label, partlabel,
> and Google searches don't make it any clearer.

° The NAME field refers to the device special file, e.g. /dev/sda1.

° A LABEL is a text string set in the filesystem itself as a (pseudo-)
unique identifier, which can be used for mounting the filesystem,
e.g. by way of /etc/fstab. An example of an /etc/fstab entry with
a label follows below. ↓

LABEL=myhomefs /home ext4 defaults 0 0

The LABEL is chosen by the sysadmin, and that is why it's only
pseudo-unique; if the sysadmin screws up, then he or she could be
having two partitions with the same LABEL, which will confuse the
system. Yet, mnemonically, using a LABEL instead of a UUID is
easier on the fingers and on the old memory cortex.

° Unlike a LABEL and a UUID, the PARTLABEL and PARTUUID are not set
in the filesystem itself — and thus, they will not change when the
partition is reformatted — but instead, they are stored in the GPT
partition table. MS-DOS MBR-style partition tables do not have
PARTLABELs or PARTUUIDs, although the kernel will fake them when
the filesystem is mounted, similar to how a vfat or NTFS filesystem
do not support POSIX file ownership and permissions but are given a
fake permissions mask and ownership when they are mounted. In
other words, you can refer to partitions by their PARTLABEL or
PARTUUID in the same way as you would do so by way of their
regular LABEL or UUID, but only on GPT drives.

Thus, to summarize, the LABEL and UUID are stored in the filesystem
itself and will (respectively) be erased and/or altered when the
partition is reformatted. The PARTLABEL and PARTUUID are stored in
the partition table on a GPT drive and do not change when the
partition is reformatted. You can even set a PARTLABEL on an
unformatted partition, such as the "bios_grub" partition on a GPT
drive that's being used on a system that boots in legacy BIOS
compatibility mode.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn