From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Samsung S20FE auto-disables its 5GHz WiFi
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:13:47 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 06:13 UTC

My wife and I each have a Samsung S20FE. Hers is working normally, but
mine seems to disable it's 5GHz WiFi a few hours after I reboot the
phone. It stays disabled until I reboot again, and then the cycle
repeats.

I have 3 access points on the property. My wife's phone can see and use
5GHz WiFi on any of those access points, but unless I've recently
rebooted, my phone can't see or use any of the 5GHz WiFi.

Is there a setting that I've missed?

Both of our phones are running Android 12 and the latest s/w update
offered by Verizon, G781VSQS7FVK1, dated November 19, 2022.

Re: Samsung S20FE auto-disables its 5GHz WiFi

<tni5vr$19s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35672&group=comp.mobile.android#35672

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samsung S20FE auto-disables its 5GHz WiFi
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:22:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:22 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:

> My wife and I each have a Samsung S20FE. Hers is working normally, but
> mine seems to disable it's 5GHz WiFi a few hours after I reboot the
> phone. It stays disabled until I reboot again, and then the cycle
> repeats.
>
> I have 3 access points on the property. My wife's phone can see and use
> 5GHz WiFi on any of those access points, but unless I've recently
> rebooted, my phone can't see or use any of the 5GHz WiFi.
>
> Is there a setting that I've missed?
>
> Both of our phones are running Android 12 and the latest s/w update
> offered by Verizon, G781VSQS7FVK1, dated November 19, 2022.

Hi Char,
Good to see you in the Android newsgroup (you're usually on Windows).

There are a lot of reasons for networking issues, and I'm well aware you're
pretty darn good at networking, so I'll assume you already did the basics.

My first suggestion is that you install a free Wi-Fi debugger on your
Android phone so that you can put both phones next to each other in various
corners of your property - and check that each phone sees the same Wi-Fi
access points at the same strength. (Trust me, I've done this test with
iPads and Androids, for example, where the iPads are always worse!).
<https://i.postimg.cc/4xgmTTgm/wifi01.jpg> graphical radio debuggers

There are _many_ Wi-Fi analyzers, but I recommend this one for you first:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z>

I don't know how much you care about privacy, but because of stupid Google
decisions, with later Androids, you must turn on location (GPS) in order to
view Wi-Fi signal graphically (and cellular signal too). Hence, if you want
privacy, you can additionally install this optional mock location spoofer.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps>

If you don't want to need to have the location turned on, you can also turn
on "Developer options" and then turn on "Wi-Fi Verbose Logging" which will
give you more detail than you want to see on every Wi-Fi connection.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BQyYWpj3/devopt-verbose-wifi-log.jpg> verbose Wi-Fi

As for having multiple wi-fi access points, I'm like you in with many.
<https://i.postimg.cc/0NYJn7mF/nanobridge-nanobeam.jpg> Extra radios

A "setting" you may want to check on Android is whether or not you have the
Wi-Fi on the phone for any given access point set to "auto reconnect".

In my case, for example, my access points SSIDs are all set to not
broadcast, and the phone Wi-Fi connection is set per access point to NOT
auto-reconnect (for privacy, not security reasons), and that alone would
reproduce the problem you're seeing of it not reconnecting - however - I
doubt you have your Android phone Wi-Fi access point setting to "not
reconnect" but it's something to look for just in case you did set it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/nrFx476v/wifi05.jpg> Check the auto-reconnect

There could me _many_ other reasons, but those are the first steps I
suggest to debug your problem as they will give you more information.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to help my good friend Char Jackson on Android.

Re: Samsung S20FE auto-disables its 5GHz WiFi

<43l1qh1si2aquf5ktfdbqj8vg9l949hmd7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35693&group=comp.mobile.android#35693

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:18:38 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 21:18 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:22:31 +0000, Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Char Jackson wrote:
>
>> My wife and I each have a Samsung S20FE. Hers is working normally, but
>> mine seems to disable it's 5GHz WiFi a few hours after I reboot the
>> phone. It stays disabled until I reboot again, and then the cycle
>> repeats.
>>
>> I have 3 access points on the property. My wife's phone can see and use
>> 5GHz WiFi on any of those access points, but unless I've recently
>> rebooted, my phone can't see or use any of the 5GHz WiFi.
>>
>> Is there a setting that I've missed?
>>
>> Both of our phones are running Android 12 and the latest s/w update
>> offered by Verizon, G781VSQS7FVK1, dated November 19, 2022.
>
>Hi Char,
>Good to see you in the Android newsgroup (you're usually on Windows).
>
>There are a lot of reasons for networking issues, and I'm well aware you're
>pretty darn good at networking, so I'll assume you already did the basics.
<SNIP>

It's not actually a networking issue, per se. It seems to be a phone
issue. The 5GHz radio shuts off, for some reason. I was hoping it was
just a configuration issue, but apparently not.

Re: Samsung S20FE auto-disables its 5GHz WiFi

<tnr2t7$als$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35695&group=comp.mobile.android#35695

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 01:25:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 01:25 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:

> It's not actually a networking issue, per se. It seems to be a phone
> issue. The 5GHz radio shuts off, for some reason. I was hoping it was
> just a configuration issue, but apparently not.

If the Wi-Fi radio is shutting off on the phone, there could be many
reasons for that, e.g., optimizing the power will shut off power hogs.

Also I have apps which shut off the Wi-Fi on purpose, which, while I don't
think you have them (otherwise you would have noted it), it's possible.

Googling, there's a lot on this subject of Wi-Fi turning off automatically.
*Why does my Android Wifi Keep Turning Off*
<https://appuals.com/why-does-my-android-wifi-keep-turning-off/>

There are many articles on why Wi-Fi turns off automatically I'm afraid.
*Fix WiFi Keeps Turning Off Automatically on Android*
<https://techcult.com/fix-wifi-keeps-turning-off-on-android/>

*Why Does My Wifi Keep Turning Off *
<https://www.collectiveray.com/why-does-my-wifi-keep-turning-off-android>

*How To Stop WiFi From Turning Off Automatically on Android*
<https://www.techwhoop.com/how-to-stop-wifi-from-turning-off-automatically-on-android/>

These problems go way back years, it seems, with many different causes:
*How to Stop WiFi Turning OFF Automatically in Android?*
<https://www.gadgetsloud.com/stop-wifi-turning-off-automatically-android/>

*Wi-fi keeps turning off*
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/5626/wi-fi-keeps-turning-off>

The point is there seem to be _many_ different causes of the problem,
most of which appear to be configuration related, and not hardware issues.

There were even cases of Wi-Fi automatically turning on, by default!
*Disable Adaptive Connectivity*
<https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-wifi-turning-on-automatically-android/>

In the end, you will be able to debug the problem, much as I did recently
on this pernicious networking issue - but over time - I tracked it down.
*Android developer options reports strange router access point errors*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/bRY6-U1jja8>

You will too.