Totally illogical, there was no chance. -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

computers / comp.mobile.android / Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

SubjectAuthor
* Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
+* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get datasms
|`- Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
+- Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get dataAndy Burns
`* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MajorLanGod
 `* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
  `* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get datasms
   `* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
    `* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get datasms
     +* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get dataAndy Burns
     |`* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get datasms
     | `- Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get dataAndy Burns
     +* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
     |`* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get dataAndy Burns
     | `* Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?MikeS
     |  `- Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get dataAndy Burns
     `- Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?nospam

1
Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<tnqbnm$1dkm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35688&group=comp.mobile.android#35688

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 19:49:38 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 18:49 UTC

I dropped the phone and it has a mostly dead screen.
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra (model SM-N986U).'

Googling I found this article which says I can operate the screen over a
USB-C to HDMI dongle to a Windows PC monitor to see the screen unbroken.
https://www.androidauthority.com/extract-data-broken-android-phone-819324/

But it says it only works with phones that support "video output over
USB-C". https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-c-adapters-1042939/

How can I tell if my phone supports that HDMI cable.

And do you think the USB-C to HDMI cable will allow me to type in my PIN to
unlock the phone over USB on the PC and then I can get my data off it?

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<tnqe32$du1i$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35691&group=comp.mobile.android#35691

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data
off it?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 11:29:37 -0800
 by: sms - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 19:29 UTC

On 12/19/2022 10:49 AM, MikeS wrote:
> I dropped the phone and it has a mostly dead screen.
> Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra (model SM-N986U).'
>
> Googling I found this article which says I can operate the screen over a
> USB-C to HDMI dongle to a Windows PC monitor to see the screen unbroken.
> https://www.androidauthority.com/extract-data-broken-android-phone-819324/
>
> But it says it only works with phones that support "video output over
> USB-C". https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-c-adapters-1042939/
>
> How can I tell if my phone supports that HDMI cable.
>
> And do you think the USB-C to HDMI cable will allow me to type in my PIN to
> unlock the phone over USB on the PC and then I can get my data off it?

The Note 20 supports HDMI over USB-C. The Pixel 7 Pro does not.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<k0bt5pF3fatU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35692&group=comp.mobile.android#35692

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 19:42:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 19:42 UTC

MikeS wrote:

> And do you think the USB-C to HDMI cable will allow me to type in my PIN to
> unlock the phone over USB on the PC and then I can get my data off it?

if the display is buggered, the digitiser like is too
USB-C hub and a keyboard

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<XnsAF72A5CAFA3DElonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35694&group=comp.mobile.android#35694

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:17:50 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:17 UTC

MikeS <MikeS@fred.com> wrote in news:tnqbnm$1dkm$1@gioia.aioe.org:

> I dropped the phone and it has a mostly dead screen.
> Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra (model SM-N986U).'
>
> Googling I found this article which says I can operate the screen over
> a USB-C to HDMI dongle to a Windows PC monitor to see the screen
> unbroken.
> https://www.androidauthority.com/extract-data-broken-android-phone-8193
> 24/
>
> But it says it only works with phones that support "video output over
> USB-C". https://www.androidauthority.com/usb-c-adapters-1042939/
>
> How can I tell if my phone supports that HDMI cable.
>
> And do you think the USB-C to HDMI cable will allow me to type in my
> PIN to unlock the phone over USB on the PC and then I can get my data
> off it?

When I connect my Android device to my Windows PC with a standard USB
cable I am able to mount the storage areas using Windows Explorer - no
special settings, no special hardware.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<tnr38g$dh6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35696&group=comp.mobile.android#35696

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 02:31:08 +0100
 by: MikeS - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 01:31 UTC

On 19/12/2022 23:17, MajorLanGod wrote:
> When I connect my Android device to my Windows PC with a standard USB
> cable I am able to mount the storage areas using Windows Explorer - no
> special settings, no special hardware.

I tried that already.

I installed adb and ran adb connect with the result of the phone being
"unauthorized."

Googling I think that means I have to type in the pin somehow first.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<to5ls8$1sscr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35745&group=comp.mobile.android#35745

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:49:58 -0800
 by: sms - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 01:49 UTC

On 12/19/2022 5:31 PM, MikeS wrote:
> On 19/12/2022 23:17, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> When I connect my Android device to my Windows PC with a standard USB
>> cable I am able to mount the storage areas using Windows Explorer - no
>> special settings, no special hardware.
>
> I tried that already.
>
> I installed adb and ran adb connect with the result of the phone being
> "unauthorized."
>
> Googling I think that means I have to type in the pin somehow first.

You could try something like this <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW343WG>
with an HDMI monitor to see a screen and a USB keyboard to enter a PIN.
Not sure if there is some kind of setup needed to enable the HDMI out on
the phone.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<to7fcl$bo1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35755&group=comp.mobile.android#35755

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:11:46 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 18:11 UTC

On 23/12/2022 17:49, sms wrote:
>>> When I connect my Android device to my Windows PC with a standard USB
>>> cable I am able to mount the storage areas using Windows Explorer - no
>>> special settings, no special hardware.
>>
>> I tried that already.
>>
>> I installed adb and ran adb connect with the result of the phone being
>> "unauthorized."
>>
>> Googling I think that means I have to type in the pin somehow first.
>
> You could try something like this <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW343WG>
> with an HDMI monitor to see a screen and a USB keyboard to enter a PIN.
> Not sure if there is some kind of setup needed to enable the HDMI out on
> the phone.

That worked! Thank you very much for explaining there is a special hub.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBook-Multiport-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B07WPTG7NX/
"USB C Hub, Hiearcool Adapter USB C Dongle for MacBook Pro, 7 in 1 USB C to
HDMI Multport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops and Other Type C Devices
(4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD)"

I plugged the HDMI monitor, USB mouse, USB keyboard & the half-dead USB-C
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra (model SM-N986U) into the hub with no PC.

Something called Samsung Dex popped up somehow which if you can explain,
that would be nice because I didn't write down anything I was so excited.

I could see the entire unbroken screen on the monitor.

What was difficult was I still had to unlock the phone on the phone but I
tried for a long time by tapping all over the dead part of the screen.

Once it finally worked, I saw the entire screen on the monitor!
I started to move my pictures in a rush and forgot to charge the phone.

Right now the phone is on a charger, but I think it is working.
Thank you.

Do you know what the Dex was all about?

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<to86bk$2dh6c$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35761&group=comp.mobile.android#35761

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:43:32 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 00:43 UTC

On 12/24/2022 10:11 AM, MikeS wrote:

>>> I tried that already.
>>>
>>> I installed adb and ran adb connect with the result of the phone being
>>> "unauthorized."
>>>
>>> Googling I think that means I have to type in the pin somehow first.
>>
>> You could try something like this
>> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW343WG> with an HDMI monitor to see a
>> screen and a USB keyboard to enter a PIN. Not sure if there is some
>> kind of setup needed to enable the HDMI out on the phone.
>
> That worked! Thank you very much for explaining there is a special hub.
> https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBook-Multiport-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B07WPTG7NX/
> "USB C Hub, Hiearcool Adapter USB C Dongle for MacBook Pro, 7 in 1 USB C to
> HDMI Multport Adapter Compatible for USB C Laptops and Other Type C Devices
> (4K HDMI USB3.0 SD/TF Card Reader 100W PD)"
>
> I plugged the HDMI monitor, USB mouse, USB keyboard & the half-dead USB-C
> Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G Ultra (model SM-N986U) into the hub with no PC.
>
> Something called Samsung Dex popped up somehow which if you can explain,
> that would be nice because I didn't write down anything I was so excited.
>
> I could see the entire unbroken screen on the monitor.
>
> What was difficult was I still had to unlock the phone on the phone but I
> tried for a long time by tapping all over the dead part of the screen.
>
> Once it finally worked, I saw the entire screen on the monitor!
> I started to move my pictures in a rush and forgot to charge the phone.
>
> Right now the phone is on a charger, but I think it is working.
> Thank you.
>
> Do you know what the Dex was all about?

DEX is Samsung's trade name for HDMI out. They sell a DEX cable but you
can use other USB-C to HDMI adapters as well, like the Ugreen one I have
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW343WG>. I wanted a device that let me
plug in a USB DVD ROM drive to the phone while also putting out HDMI
video to a monitor. Only one USB-DVD ROM drive works with Android phones.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<k0pq1eF7aanU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35762&group=comp.mobile.android#35762

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 02:15:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 02:15 UTC

sms wrote:

> Only one USB-DVD ROM drive works with Android phones.

That being ..?

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<to8deq$2e485$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35763&group=comp.mobile.android#35763

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 18:44:42 -0800
 by: sms - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 02:44 UTC

On 12/24/2022 6:15 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>> Only one USB-DVD ROM drive works with Android phones.
>
> That being ..?

Sorry, it's <https://hitachi-lg.com/en/products/data.view/?v=30>. Amazon
has it at <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N4SVKVF>.

See 148a on page 70-71 of the document "44 iOS & iPhone Features Which
[many] Android Users Wish they Had & 204 Android & Android Phone
Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish they Had" at
<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<k0ps7kF7l8qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35764&group=comp.mobile.android#35764

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 02:52:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 02:52 UTC

sms wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> sms wrote:
>>
>>> Only one USB-DVD ROM drive works with Android phones.
>>
>> That being ..?
>
> Sorry, it's <https://hitachi-lg.com/en/products/data.view/?v=30>.

thanks, having just upgraded my last laptop to a thin one with no DVD drive I'm
on the lookout ... clearly that on doesn't push the bly-ray button, but I'll
keep thinking about buying something ...

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<toa0kf$1sul$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35768&group=comp.mobile.android#35768

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 18:18:20 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:18 UTC

On 25/12/2022 00:43, sms wrote:
>> Do you know what the Dex was all about?
>
> DEX is Samsung's trade name for HDMI out. They sell a DEX cable but you
> can use other USB-C to HDMI adapters as well, like the Ugreen one I have
> <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW343WG>. I wanted a device that let me
> plug in a USB DVD ROM drive to the phone while also putting out HDMI
> video to a monitor. Only one USB-DVD ROM drive works with Android phones.

I can't do it today on the holidays but I just realized I won't be able to
copy the photos from the half-broken Android device unless I hook up a
computer somehow, right?

Right now it's just set up to hook up only to the HDMI monitor.
Maybe that's where the DEX comes in use?

Can you explain how I might hook the half dead phone, a mouse, keyboard,
and monitor to the hub - and then copy my pictures... to what?

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<251220221226300132%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35769&group=comp.mobile.android#35769

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 12:26:30 -0500
 by: nospam - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:26 UTC

In article <to86bk$2dh6c$3@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> DEX is Samsung's trade name for HDMI out.

nope.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_DeX>
Samsung DeX (stylized as SAMSUNG DeX) is a feature included on
some high-end Samsung handheld devices that enables users to extend
their device into a desktop-like experience by connecting a keyboard,
mouse, and monitor.[1][2] The name "DeX" is a contraction of "Desktop
eXperience".

<https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-use-samsung-dex-mode/>
³DeX² is the name for Samsung¹s desktop software, activated by
plugging a compatible mobile device into a spare monitor, laptop, or
computer. It turns your phone or tablet into a full-fledged desktop
experience, complete with word processing software, internet
browsers, and more. Samsung DeX is principally aimed at those who
require a mobile office, but really, it can be used by anyone with a
spare monitor lying around.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<k0rgvlFf8qcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35770&group=comp.mobile.android#35770

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:52:50 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 17:52 UTC

MikeS wrote:

> I can't do it today on the holidays but I just realized I won't be able to
> copy the photos from the half-broken Android device unless I hook up a
> computer somehow, right?

if you also plug a memory card (uSD, or USB stick) into that hub, the phone
should see it and you can copy that way ...

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<tob3de$gkv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35773&group=comp.mobile.android#35773

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 04:11:54 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 03:11 UTC

On 25/12/2022 17:52, Andy Burns wrote:
> MikeS wrote:
>
>> I can't do it today on the holidays but I just realized I won't be able to
>> copy the photos from the half-broken Android device unless I hook up a
>> computer somehow, right?
>
> if you also plug a memory card (uSD, or USB stick) into that hub, the phone
> should see it and you can copy that way ...

That worked!

After I fully charged the half-broken phone, I plugged the USB-C pigtail of
the USB hub into the phone, and then I plugged in a USB-A keyboard and
mouse into the two USB-A ports of the hub, and then I added an HDMI cable
from the hub HDMI out to the HDMI in of the monitor.

Then I slipped an sdcard into the sdcard slot of the hub and I can copy
stuff off the phone to the sdcard to then move to the new phone.

To move stuff from the old phone to the new phone, I normally use Samsung
Smart Switch but it wouldn't work alongside Samsung DEX even though both
are Samsung products but in this case I just moved data to the sdcard.
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch

I didn't know Samsung Smart Switch worked on the PC though, which I just
saw then I looked for that link for you - so maybe I don't need the apk?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover

I also bought this USB-C to HDMI cable but it didn't do anything.
https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Lifelike-Lightweight-Samsung-SM-N986U/dp/B08LNLKDNM
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G USB C to HDMI Cable,
Enjoy Lifelike 4K Video Lightweight Type C to HDMI Male Cable 6ft
for Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N986U

The hub worked but do you know why the USB-C to HDMI cable didn't work?

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<tob3mp$of3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35774&group=comp.mobile.android#35774

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 04:16:53 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 03:16 UTC

On 19/12/2022 20:29, sms wrote:
>> And do you think the USB-C to HDMI cable will allow me to type in my PIN to
>> unlock the phone over USB on the PC and then I can get my data off it?
>
> The Note 20 supports HDMI over USB-C. The Pixel 7 Pro does not.

Thank you for the information. I can't get this cable to do anything yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Lifelike-Lightweight-Samsung-SM-N986U/dp/B08LNLKDNM

I still had to fiddle with the phone to unlock it with the pin which wasn't
easy but I'm getting better now at figuring out where missing buttons are.

Luckily I bought both that cable above and this USB hub someone suggested.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBook-Multiport-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B07WPTG7NX/

After I fully charged the half-broken phone, I plugged the USB-C pigtail of
this USB hub into the phone, and then I plugged in a USB-A keyboard and
USB-A mouse into the two USB-A ports of the hub, and then I added an HDMI
cable from the hub HDMI out to the HDMI in of the monitor. No PC involved.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBook-Multiport-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B07WPTG7NX/

Then I slipped an sdcard into the sdcard slot of the hub and I can copy
stuff off the phone to the sdcard to then move to the new phone.

Do you know why I can't MOVE stuff from the phone to the sdcard?
I can only copy stuff.

And I can't copy a folder.
I can only copy stuff that is inside of a folder.

Re: Broken screen - interact with phone over USB-C to HDMI & get data off it?

<k0stqaFln13U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35776&group=comp.mobile.android#35776

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
off it?
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 06:38:02 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 06:38 UTC

MikeS wrote:

> The hub worked but do you know why the USB-C to HDMI cable didn't work?

I suspect different HDMI chip within the hub and dongle, android only has a
driver for one, not the other, I do have one of those UGreen hubs, it's been
very handy ...