You've been Berkeley'ed!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

SubjectAuthor
* Android 11 Phone Photo EditLola
+* Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditAndy Burns
|`* Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditAndy Burnelli
| +- Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditJeff Layman
|  `- Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditAndy Burnelli
`* Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditLola
 `- Re: Android 11 Phone Photo EditAndy Burnelli

1
Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<tnvl2p$1uq4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35702&group=comp.mobile.android#35702

From: Lol...@Lola.com (Lola)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:59:38 -0800
 by: Lola - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 18:59 UTC

I get photos via texting.
I want to do simple edits like crop and flip.
I cannot figure out how to do this.
When I open an image there are no edit features in FIles. I only see
edit features in the camera app but can I get to all images here to edit
an image not created in the Photo app ?

Thank you.

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<k0h81mFse8jU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35703&group=comp.mobile.android#35703

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:18:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:18 UTC

Lola wrote:

> I get photos via texting.
> I want to do simple edits like crop and flip.
> I cannot figure out how to do this.
> When I open an image there are no edit features in FIles.  I only see edit
> features in the camera app but can I get to all images here to edit an image not
> created in the Photo app ?

Unlike photos you take on your own phone, files you receive by SMS/MMS have been
shrunk for texting, presumably android thinks these would be too low quality to
crop/resize/etc?

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<tnvv3d$m2m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35704&group=comp.mobile.android#35704

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:50:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:50 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Lola wrote:
>
>> I get photos via texting.
>> I want to do simple edits like crop and flip.
>> I cannot figure out how to do this.
>> When I open an image there are no edit features in FIles.� I only see edit
>> features in the camera app but can I get to all images here to edit an image not
>> created in the Photo app ?
>
> Unlike photos you take on your own phone, files you receive by SMS/MMS have been
> shrunk for texting,

Hi Andy,

I don't see how the image size makes any difference; however, the
_location_ of the image might very well make a difference to people who
aren't familiar with the ability to access those (perhaps sandboxed?)
default locations.

But first, let me state that this is, imho, a micky/pinnerite/many-others
thread... where the "best" answer is simply to open the photos in "some
other editor" than the one that isn't working, or, do what I do, which is
use a decent SMS/MMS app that has a setting to _autosave_ the photo so you
can easily open that automatically saved photo (shrunk or not) in any
editor (or manually save it to whatever location you want it to be manually
saved into).

But this is a "micky" thread, so there will be plenty of contrived
objections to answers that are as logical and simple as those are...

Nonetheless...

Given the answer to the question begs the new question of what's a good
photo editor, it's a decent question to flesh out the answer to for
everyone to benefit (which is always my goal) so we all benefit always.

Given that reality, I'll direct my answer to the question of what's a good
photo editor, irrespective of the photo size (i.e., pre-shrunk or not).

Of course that question has been asked before, so lemme' search first:
*What is a good free adfree basic image editor*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cTrsAsiNa4o/m/Hi8Z4CSdAgAJ>
Which contains suggestions for basic free ad free gsf-free image editors.

In addition, on my phone are the following free gsf-free photo editors.
*Simple Draw* by Simple Mobile Tools
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 3.5/7.83K reviews@1M+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.draw>

*Photo Editor* by BeFunky with In-app purchases
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 4.4/216K reviews@10M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.befunky.BeFunkyPhotoEditor>

While I don't usually install any apps that aren't free or that have ads or
that incorporate GSF into those apps, there are other photo editors extent.

For example, if the user doesn't care that an APK includes GSF and that
it's from Google, I hear that Snapseed is a well respected image editor.
*Snapseed* by Google LLC
Free, ad free, includes GSF, rated 4.4/1.6M reviews@100M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed>

Along the lines of a free, ad free image editor but that includes GSF are:
a. *Lightroom Photo & Video Editor* by Adobe
b. *Photoshop Express Photo Editor* by Adobe
c. *VSCO: Photo & Video Editor* by VSCO
d. *Canva: Design, Photo & Video* by Canva
e. *InstaSize Photo Editor + Resizer* by Instasize, Inc.
f. *EPIK Photo Editor* by SNOW Corporation
g. *PhotoRoom Studio Photo Editor* by PhotoRoom Background Editor App
h. *B612 Camera&Photo/Video Editor* by SNOW Corporation
etc.

In summary, the way I solve the OP's stated problem set is I use three
tools that are chosen well, the first being an MMS/SMS app which
automatically (or manually) saves images to where I can find them, and the
second is using a file manager that can find where those images were saved,
and the third is to use an image editor that can crop and rotate images.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to flesh out the problem set to provide answers.

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<to0fov$5to$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35707&group=comp.mobile.android#35707

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 02:35:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 02:35 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> In summary, the way I solve the OP's stated problem set is I use three
> tools that are chosen well, the first being an MMS/SMS app which
> automatically (or manually) saves images to where I can find them, and the
> second is using a file manager that can find where those images were saved,
> and the third is to use an image editor that can crop and rotate images.

SOLVED

As always, to help everyone using my skills as an app tester, I found what
I consider to be the best apps for the tasks that I tested for the team.

1. *SMS/MMS app* (auto/manual save images)
<https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/maple-media/pulse-smstablet-messenger/pulse-smstablet-messenger-5-4-6-2816-release/>
2. *FILE BROWSER app* (locate & open images & edit them) <=== optional
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaze.filemanager>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaze.fileutilities>
3. *PHOTO EDITOR app* (crop/resize)
(see the suggested photo editors below)

Note if you want a different MMS/SMS application, look here for ideas:
*SMS app*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/OO-0G-_1qeU>

Note that you can skip the file browser because the image editors can all
open the files, so you don't even need the file browser in the tool flow.

1. SMS/MMS app (auto/manual save images)
The free adfree PulseSMS app (version 5.4.6.2816) automatically
or manually saves incoming/outgoing MMS images into a default location
/internal storage/pictures/pulse/filename.jpg

2. FILE BROWSER app (locate & open images & edit them) <=== optional
The free adfree Amaze File Manager (version 3.8.2) has a free add-on
"Amaze Image Editor" which does all the basics for image editing.

3. PHOTO EDITOR free ad free app (crop/resize)
The free adfree set of editors listed in this thread do all the edits.
*What is a good free adfree basic image editor*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cTrsAsiNa4o/m/Hi8Z4CSdAgAJ>

For example:
*DS Photo Editor* by DS Photo Editor SDK (powerful basic editor)
free, adfree, gsfree, rated 4.2, 100K+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsphotoeditor.demoapp>

*Simple Draw* by Simple Mobile Tools (simple basic editor)
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 3.5/7.83K reviews@1M+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.draw>

*Snapseed* by Google LLC (simple medium power basic editor)
Free, ad free, includes GSF, rated 4.4/1.6M reviews@100M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.niksoftware.snapseed>
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to find a solution to the OP's stated problem.

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<to17up$1alcp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35714&group=comp.mobile.android#35714

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:27:52 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:27 UTC

On 21/12/2022 21:50, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> [...]
>
> Along the lines of a free, ad free image editor but that includes GSF are:
> a. *Lightroom Photo & Video Editor* by Adobe
> b. *Photoshop Express Photo Editor* by Adobe
> c. *VSCO: Photo & Video Editor* by VSCO
> d. *Canva: Design, Photo & Video* by Canva
> e. *InstaSize Photo Editor + Resizer* by Instasize, Inc.
> f. *EPIK Photo Editor* by SNOW Corporation
> g. *PhotoRoom Studio Photo Editor* by PhotoRoom Background Editor App
> h. *B612 Camera&Photo/Video Editor* by SNOW Corporation
> etc.
>
> In summary, the way I solve the OP's stated problem set is I use three
> tools that are chosen well, the first being an MMS/SMS app which
> automatically (or manually) saves images to where I can find them, and the
> second is using a file manager that can find where those images were saved,
> and the third is to use an image editor that can crop and rotate images.

I don't usually bother saving photos attached to messages, but as I sent
one a few days ago thought I'd see what happened if I tried (Xiaomi
Redmi Note 10 5G). Touching the photo within MMS gave me the option of
sharing it or saving it. I chose the latter and it reported "One photo
saved to your messages stored media" (no option to choose what folder to
store it in). But can I find where it's stored? Of course not - this is
Android - the most opaque system ever invented.

Total Commander is a pretty good file manager, but it can't find the
folder. I assume it's got a name which doesn't have "messages",
"stored", or "media". I then tried sharing the photo, which gave me
options to email it, etc. I noticed a long file name, with about 20
digits, and ending in.jpg, at the top of the share options screen.
That's great, I thought, I'll use Total Commander to search for that
file. Only trouble was that I couldn't copy the long file name, I had to
do it manually. I entered the first half-dozen numbers and returned to
the share screen, only to find it had disappeared, and I had to touch
the photo again to share or save it. The share screen reappeared, but
with a completely different *.jpg name! Still 20 digits, but obviously
different. It does that every time. I assume, though didn't try, that
saving it as an email attachment might allow easier access as I'd hope
email attachments would be simpler to detach and store in a folder of
choice. But, again, we are dealing with Android.

I hate Android.

--

Jeff

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<to2ap1$394$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35719&group=comp.mobile.android#35719

From: Lol...@Lola.com (Lola)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:22:09 -0800
 by: Lola - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 19:22 UTC

Thank you all for your assistance.

I was truly getting tired of loading an editor only to find it was a
trial or I had to give away my first born to use it.

I wish Play Store had the smarts to enlighten us of all the peccadilloes
before having to find out for ourselves the time consuming way.

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<to2fob$8uj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35721&group=comp.mobile.android#35721

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 20:47:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 20:47 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> I don't usually bother saving photos attached to messages,

I'm being kind heated here when I respond to your rants.
I'm trying to help you.

Most people do save their pictures (in my humble experience).
a. For most, it's automatically saved anyway,
b. And, for most, the pictures arrive pre shrunk so they're small,
c. And, for most, they _want_ pictures of the dog, cat, baby, whatever.

You don't.
But it's been my experience that most people do.

Still... you can just NOT set the MMS/SMS app to automatically save all the
photos to the /Internal Storage/Pictures/. folder and that's all you need.

But all my prior suggestions were to help the OP who was the one with the
stated problem set, which I think I solved handily with a couple of
well-chosen apps which do _exactly_ what the OP asked for them to do.

> but as I sent
> one a few days ago thought I'd see what happened if I tried (Xiaomi
> Redmi Note 10 5G). Touching the photo within MMS gave me the option of
> sharing it or saving it.

That's a good start, although you might wish to look in the settings of
your MMS/SMS app to see if you can save the step of having to touch it.

> I chose the latter and it reported "One photo
> saved to your messages stored media" (no option to choose what folder to
> store it in).

Yeah. I agree. PulseSMS, which is my favorite MMS/SMS app, doesn't ask
where to put it either. It's in /Internal Storage/Pictures/Pulse for me.

In the olden days, I used to run daemons which sensed a file in any given
folder location and then they automatically moved the file to where I
wanted it to be. But that was too much of a pita to maintain.

So now I just look in /Internal Storage/Pictures/Pulse, which, at least is
a rather intuitive location if you're looking for pictures stored by Pulse.

> But can I find where it's stored? Of course not - this is
> Android - the most opaque system ever invented.

Hmmmm.... Android isn't opaque in the least. It's kind of like Apple pie.
You pretty much know what's there because you can see it thru the crust.

And it's no more (or less) opaque than Linux or Windows.
It's almost certainly far (far!) less opaque than is iOS (& maybe macOS).

So we have two choices when I respond to that statement:
a. I can tell you how to find the stored pictures, or
b. We can let you rant but your rant is like ranting against apple pie

> Total Commander is a pretty good file manager, but it can't find the
> folder. I assume it's got a name which doesn't have "messages",
> "stored", or "media".

Did you look in /Internal Storage/Pictures/ yet?
Or Downloads?
Or DCIM?

> I then tried sharing the photo, which gave me
> options to email it, etc. I noticed a long file name, with about 20
> digits, and ending in.jpg, at the top of the share options screen.

That's the wrong rant. That long file name is a good thing.
It's meta information. It's the _file_ name. Not the directory tree.

Let me _repeat_ that it's the name of the file.
Not the folder.

It's a good thing that the name of a file has the time & date stamp.
It's not a good thing that you are ranting against a simple file name.

What you need to do is stop ranting and start looking for the folder.
(Note: You sound like the Apple morons, by the way, so stop that.)

The Apple morons couldn't find their fingernails if they weren't attached
to their fingers and they can't find their fingers if they weren't attache
to their hands - and so on - which is why _they_ rant about everything.

Everything is too complicated for the Apple morons.
Android users are supposed to own at least a normal IQ.

> That's great, I thought, I'll use Total Commander to search for that
> file. Only trouble was that I couldn't copy the long file name, I had to
> do it manually.

Given the time stamp is unique down to, likely, the microsecond, all you
needed, realistically, were a few digits (maybe as few as four or five).

> I entered the first half-dozen numbers and returned to
> the share screen, only to find it had disappeared, and I had to touch
> the photo again to share or save it. The share screen reappeared, but
> with a completely different *.jpg name! Still 20 digits, but obviously
> different. It does that every time. I assume, though didn't try, that
> saving it as an email attachment might allow easier access as I'd hope
> email attachments would be simpler to detach and store in a folder of
> choice. But, again, we are dealing with Android.

It's not Android.
It's you.

You probably can't find your car keys every morning.
You probably rant against Mom and Apple Pie too.

Stop the ranting.
It's unbecoming of an intelligent person.

Just find the folder which I suggest is likely in the "Pictures" folder.
If not in "Pictures" then in "Downloads".
If not in "Downloads", then in DCIM.

This isn't hard for a person of normal intelligence, although I do realize
that it's nearly impossible for typical Apple users who are usually morons.

> I hate Android.

I think you rant against things which nobody normal would rant against.
You likely rant against Mom and Apple Pie.

Stop that.
It's unbecoming of an adult.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to help this user find where his files are stored.

Re: Android 11 Phone Photo Edit

<to2h0h$q51$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35722&group=comp.mobile.android#35722

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:08:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:08 UTC

Lola wrote:

> I was truly getting tired of loading an editor only to find it was a
> trial or I had to give away my first born to use it.

Even though this is a micky thread, I still care that people get GOOD
answers, which is why I responded to the Apple-moron-like idiotic rant just
now from Jeff Layton who seems to blame Android for both mom & apple pie.

Don't blame the editors that suck.
Just use an editor that doesn't suck.

The editors I suggested are NOT trials, and they do the job well (IMHO).
For example, these free editors are decent in my humble opinion:
*What is a good free adfree basic image editor*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cTrsAsiNa4o/m/Hi8Z4CSdAgAJ>

Likewise with the "file manager/image editor" combo I had suggested.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaze.filemanager>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaze.fileutilities>

> I wish Play Store had the smarts to enlighten us of all the peccadilloes
> before having to find out for ourselves the time consuming way.

There's some truth in that rant, and some falsehoods at the same time,
which I will expound upon, not for the benefit so much as the OP (who is
likely beyond help) but for the benefit of the lurker who can learn.

Here are some points that I've made so many times I'm tired of saying it:
<https://i.postimg.cc/RF06HBB3/aurora05.jpg> Google Play Store filters

1. Don't use the Google Play Store interface. Not the Google Play Store
client. Not the Google Play Store web interface. It sucks.

2. Use a Google Play Store interface that is from a third party.
The Google Play Store interface I use is from auroraoss.org
but there are plenty of Google Play Store clients out there.
All are designed to give you the information you want such as
whether or not the app is free, ad free, gsf free, etc.
<https://i.postimg.cc/zX9TnVkp/aurora13.jpg> Google Play Store client

3. Notice that I'm NOT saying that you use a different repository.
All the Google Play Store clients use the same repository as
the Google Play Store client does - just like all mail user
agents log into the same Google server - just like all web
browser access the same web pages - just like all FTP clients
access the same FTP sites, etc.

The client is just a skin to the same repository so there is
no danger as you're getting the exact same file in any case.

Having said all that good stuff, there is one problem that Google
Play Store clients don't solve all of which micky mentioned above.

That's the fact you can't tell if an app is good just from the
ratings and the number of downloads (although that's an indicator).

Luckily, all the Google Play Store clients allow you to filter
on the rating and the number of downloads, so that's easy to do.
<https://i.postimg.cc/P5YYKT3H/aurora14.jpg> Google Play Store filters

But in the end, there's no filter to ask whether an app requires a login or
not, for example, or whether or not it actually does the stated job.

To know that usually takes about 30 seconds of testing of the app,
which, out of the goodness of my soul, I did for the OP and I wrote
up the results so that not only the OP but everyone solves this issue.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to show those who are willing and able to learn