Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 00:15:44 -0500
Subject: Re: Halting problem proofs refuted on the basis of software
engineering (Simplified so that most anyone here can validate it)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.theory
<esudnY0OB8EN6kz_nZ2dnUU7_81j4p2d@giganews.com>
<20220715153211.00005430@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<JeidnSoS1rskH0z_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<yTmAK.516643$5fVf.138346@fx09.iad>
<W4CdnYak5r9dY0z_nZ2dnUU7_81j4p2d@giganews.com>
<l9oAK.32297$8f2.31926@fx38.iad>
<h72dnSi6M6KTi0__nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zMoAK.478076$J0r9.469596@fx11.iad>
<rZednY5F5Khth0__nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<s8pAK.478077$J0r9.244262@fx11.iad>
<cu2dnVRtP_SWv0__nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<rxpAK.479917$ntj.157253@fx15.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 05:15 UTC

On 7/15/2022 9:39 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> IF it doesn't return the answer to P, then it doesn't return the
>>> answer to main, or it isn't a pure function.

>>> RIGHT. So NOT RETURNING in one case means NOT RETURNING in ALL.
>> When the pure function returns a value (not when it is called in
>> infinite recursion where it returns no value) then it must always
>> return the same value for the same inputs.
>>

> Nope, it ALWAYS returns (or not) the same value for ALL Calls.

Except in the case of a halt decider such that the outer-most invocation
can abort the simulation of one that calls its in infinite recursion.

I can't think of any other example where any function called with the
same input would be called in infinite recursion in one instance and not
in another.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer