Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time.

computers / alt.os.linux.mageia / Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

SubjectAuthor
* transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
+* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.red floyd
|`* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
| +- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.David W. Hodgins
| `- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.red floyd
+* [OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.Bit Twister
|`- Re: [OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.TJ
+* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.Vincent Coen
|`* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
| `* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.Bobbie Sellers
|  `- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
+- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.Jim Beard
+* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.TJ
|`* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.Doug Laidlaw
| `- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
`* Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh
 `- Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.William Unruh

1
transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6mj10$3gi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3540&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3540

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 16:12:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 2 May 2021 16:12 UTC

I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.

Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?

Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6mpfm$o5n$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3541&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3541

From: no.spam....@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 11:02:30 -0700
 by: red floyd - Sun, 2 May 2021 18:02 UTC

On 5/2/2021 9:12 AM, William Unruh wrote:
> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>
> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>
> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

The Dell came with Windows, and you need install media?

Go to Dell and look for installation media. It's on their support site
somewhere.

HOWEVER, this installer will most likely NOT work on a non-Dell system.

[OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<slrns8tt7t.194g7.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3542&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3542

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: [OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 13:52:44 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Sun, 2 May 2021 18:52 UTC

On Sun, 2 May 2021 16:12:16 -0000 (UTC), William Unruh wrote:
> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it.

Yeah, I kept a win 98 VirtualBox guest for turbotax but starting
using H&R Block when turbotax bumped up their price.

> However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.

Yep, was doing the same thing. Then found out turbotax would let
anyone see my tax data. I would buy the cd and do a local install.
When I had to do some stock/bond reporting I drove over to an independent
tax outfit to get information on what to report where.

Guy would not sell me his time to do so but said to go out into
the lobby and let one of them do my taxes and see if I wanted
them to file. After entering my social, name, address she asked if
I had already done the year taxes with them. I asked why and she said
the data was already entered.

With H&R I use Firefox on their site and download the forms and snail
mail them to IRS. No Micro$oft required.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6muor$5k5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3543&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3543

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 19:32:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:32 UTC

On 2021-05-02, red floyd <no.spam.here@its.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/2/2021 9:12 AM, William Unruh wrote:
>> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
>> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
>> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
>> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
>> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
>> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>>
>> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
>> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
>> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>>
>> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
>> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.
>>

> The Dell came with Windows, and you need install media?
>
> Go to Dell and look for installation media. It's on their support site
> somewhere.

Unfortunately it isn't. However I would like to transfer my current
installation ( togetehr with the stuff I have added to Windows) to the
new drive, not start all over again.

If I dd the copy of my windows now on the old disk onto an ntfs partiton of the new drive,
will that work to make a bootable copy of Windows?

> HOWEVER, this installer will most likely NOT work on a non-Dell system.

I do not want it on a non-Dell system. I want it on the dell system.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<op.02r6exh5a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3544&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3544

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 15:43:35 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:43 UTC

On Sun, 02 May 2021 15:32:43 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> If I dd the copy of my windows now on the old disk onto an ntfs partiton of the new drive,
> will that work to make a bootable copy of Windows?

Is the new drive at least as large as the old drive?

I don't have any m$ installs. I think that as long as the new drive will be
connected to the same cable as the old drive it should work. IIRC windows
includes the sata controller, etc., in it's registry.

>> HOWEVER, this installer will most likely NOT work on a non-Dell system.
> I do not want it on a non-Dell system. I want it on the dell system.

You may need the installer to "repair" (update registry entries) the install after
copying it to the new drive. Probably best to have it available in advance.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<1619984236@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3545&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3545

From: VBC...@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 20:37:16 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:37 UTC

Hello William!

Sunday May 02 2021 17:12, William Unruh wrote to All:

> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation
> to the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be
> bigger--something has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the
> taxes software since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for
> security reasons.

> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?

> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going
> to stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

Take a look at your drives partitions as you should have one as the Windows
recovery area where you can re-install OR build a DVD boot disk assuming
you are using Win 7 for 10.

Option two is to use the software that comes with or is available from the
manufacturer that you can use to migrate the old drive partitions to a new
drive (SSD). Assuming the SSD is one of the big brands such as Samsung.

Vincent

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6n3ev$cr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3546&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3546

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 20:52:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 2 May 2021 20:52 UTC

On 2021-05-02, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello William!
>
> Sunday May 02 2021 17:12, William Unruh wrote to All:
>
> > I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> > that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> > never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation
> > to the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be
> > bigger--something has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the
> > taxes software since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for
> > security reasons.
>
> > Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> > I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> > that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>
> > Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going
> > to stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.
>
> Take a look at your drives partitions as you should have one as the Windows
> recovery area where you can re-install OR build a DVD boot disk assuming
> you are using Win 7 for 10.
>
> Option two is to use the software that comes with or is available from the
> manufacturer that you can use to migrate the old drive partitions to a new
> drive (SSD). Assuming the SSD is one of the big brands such as Samsung.

f I just partitioned the drive and then did a dd from the .iso that I
generated from the old drive to the new drive would that work?
(Ie I did
dd -if=/dev/nvme0n1p6 of=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso
where lets say /p6 was the partition which incluced the Windows install
on the old disk, and my usb backup drive is mounted on /mnt/disk and has
on it a directory called backup (his is on a Linus ext4 drive). I would
then put in the new drive, which I partition as with partition 6 as an
ntfs drive, and do
dd if=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso of=/dev/nvme0n1p6
where the new partition 6 is bigger than the old partition 6.
I then use Mageia to install the grub bootloader, with MSDos on
partition 6 as one of the boot options.
(Mageia 8 will be on say partition 7)

I would then have to figure out how to tell Win to grow its ntfs format
to include the whole of partition 6 rather then just the size it used to
have on the old disk.

Does that process make sense? Will it work?

> Vincent

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6n6bk$5f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3547&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3547

From: bli...@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 14:42:10 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 2 May 2021 21:42 UTC

On 5/2/21 1:52 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-05-02, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello William!
>>
>> Sunday May 02 2021 17:12, William Unruh wrote to All:
>>
>>> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
>>> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
>>> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation
>>> to the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be
>>> bigger--something has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the
>>> taxes software since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for
>>> security reasons.
>>
>>> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
>>> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
>>> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>>
>>> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going
>>> to stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.
>>
>> Take a look at your drives partitions as you should have one as the Windows
>> recovery area where you can re-install OR build a DVD boot disk assuming
>> you are using Win 7 for 10.
>>
>> Option two is to use the software that comes with or is available from the
>> manufacturer that you can use to migrate the old drive partitions to a new
>> drive (SSD). Assuming the SSD is one of the big brands such as Samsung.
>>
> f I just partitioned the drive and then did a dd from the .iso that I
> generated from the old drive to the new drive would that work?
> (Ie I did
> dd -if=/dev/nvme0n1p6 of=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso
> where lets say /p6 was the partition which incluced the Windows install
> on the old disk, and my usb backup drive is mounted on /mnt/disk and has
> on it a directory called backup (his is on a Linus ext4 drive). I would
> then put in the new drive, which I partition as with partition 6 as an
> ntfs drive, and do
> dd if=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso of=/dev/nvme0n1p6
> where the new partition 6 is bigger than the old partition 6.
> I then use Mageia to install the grub bootloader, with MSDos on
> partition 6 as one of the boot options.
> (Mageia 8 will be on say partition 7)
>
> I would then have to figure out how to tell Win to grow its ntfs format
> to include the whole of partition 6 rather then just the size it used to
> have on the old disk.
>
> Does that process make sense? Will it work?
>

>> Vincent

All but the Windows part. Windows should have followed
Apple's lead and stolen the OS from Unix adding special gui elements.

bliss - -“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many do.” After
all here I am...

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6n767$8jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3548&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3548

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 21:56:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 2 May 2021 21:56 UTC

On 2021-05-02, Bobbie Sellers <bliss@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/21 1:52 PM, William Unruh wrote:
>> On 2021-05-02, Vincent Coen <VBCoen@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Take a look at your drives partitions as you should have one as the Windows
>>> recovery area where you can re-install OR build a DVD boot disk assuming
>>> you are using Win 7 for 10.
>>>
>>> Option two is to use the software that comes with or is available from the
>>> manufacturer that you can use to migrate the old drive partitions to a new
>>> drive (SSD). Assuming the SSD is one of the big brands such as Samsung.
>>>
>> f I just partitioned the drive and then did a dd from the .iso that I
>> generated from the old drive to the new drive would that work?
>> (Ie I did
>> dd -if=/dev/nvme0n1p6 of=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso
>> where lets say /p6 was the partition which incluced the Windows install
>> on the old disk, and my usb backup drive is mounted on /mnt/disk and has
>> on it a directory called backup (his is on a Linus ext4 drive). I would
>> then put in the new drive, which I partition as with partition 6 as an
>> ntfs drive, and do
>> dd if=/mnt/disk/backup/part6.iso of=/dev/nvme0n1p6
>> where the new partition 6 is bigger than the old partition 6.
>> I then use Mageia to install the grub bootloader, with MSDos on
>> partition 6 as one of the boot options.
>> (Mageia 8 will be on say partition 7)
>>
>> I would then have to figure out how to tell Win to grow its ntfs format
>> to include the whole of partition 6 rather then just the size it used to
>> have on the old disk.
>>
>> Does that process make sense? Will it work?
>>

>>> Vincent
>
> All but the Windows part. Windows should have followed
> Apple's lead and stolen the OS from Unix adding special gui elements.

By "make sense" I meant " Will that process work". There is nothing I
can do about the decisions Windows made in the design of their OS. All I
can do is to follow procedures that work, and I am asking if this
procedure will work and to ask advice on things I am unsure of.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6n99j$g26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3549&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3549

From: jim.be...@verizon.net (Jim Beard)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 22:32:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Beard - Sun, 2 May 2021 22:32 UTC

On Sun, 02 May 2021 16:12:16 +0000, William Unruh wrote:

> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>
> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>
> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

I searched for windows 10 replace disk drive and found the following,
that may be of interest to you.

Toward the end of the article, you will find "There is a Demo version for
free download and trial." Exactly what this will do is beyond my ken.

https://www.diskpart.com/windows-10/replacing-hard-drive-
windows-10-4125.html

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly, it merely expects users to be computer-
friendly.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6nu03$58b$1@redfloyd.dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3550&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3550

From: no.spam....@its.invalid (red floyd)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 21:25:38 -0700
 by: red floyd - Mon, 3 May 2021 04:25 UTC

On 5/2/2021 12:32 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-05-02, red floyd <no.spam.here@its.invalid> wrote:
>> On 5/2/2021 9:12 AM, William Unruh wrote:
>>> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
>>> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
>>> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
>>> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
>>> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
>>> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>>>
>>> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
>>> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
>>> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>>>
>>> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
>>> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.
>>>

>> The Dell came with Windows, and you need install media?
>>
>> Go to Dell and look for installation media. It's on their support site
>> somewhere.
>
> Unfortunately it isn't. However I would like to transfer my current
> installation ( togetehr with the stuff I have added to Windows) to the
> new drive, not start all over again.
>
> If I dd the copy of my windows now on the old disk onto an ntfs partiton of the new drive,
> will that work to make a bootable copy of Windows?
>

>> HOWEVER, this installer will most likely NOT work on a non-Dell system.
>
> I do not want it on a non-Dell system. I want it on the dell system.

You can also search MS for "Media Creation Tool". This ( *I THINK* )
will create installation media from either your current installation, or
from the license stored on MS.

Re: [OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6ouqo$vg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3553&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3553

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 09:45:58 -0400
 by: TJ - Mon, 3 May 2021 13:45 UTC

On 5/2/21 2:52 PM, Bit Twister wrote:
>> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
>> that's about it.
> Yeah, I kept a win 98 VirtualBox guest for turbotax but starting
> using H&R Block when turbotax bumped up their price.

Wow. They still support Win 98??? Amazing. I've been downloading the
federal forms I need directly from the IRS, and using them with Okular.
That does work, handled properly.

Not so New York State. Their downloaded IT201 form only works with Adobe
Reader. I've been using XP in VirtualBox to do the deed, but this year
discovered that I couldn't print the completed forms unless I had the
latest from Adobe, and that doesn't support XP any more. I had to
upgrade to Win 7.

With Win 7 EOL, I can't help but wonder how long it'll be before I have
to upgrade to Win 10.

TJ

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6ov3n$1sf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3554&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3554

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 09:50:45 -0400
 by: TJ - Mon, 3 May 2021 13:50 UTC

On 5/2/21 12:12 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>
> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>
> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

I used Clonezilla when I switched my rust drive to SSD, but then I
didn't have any Windoze partitions. The only Windoze I have is in
VirtualBox.

TJ

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6p6ir$1j7k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3556&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3556

From: laidl...@hotkey.net.au (Doug Laidlaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 01:58:19 +1000
 by: Doug Laidlaw - Mon, 3 May 2021 15:58 UTC

On 3/5/21 11:50 pm, TJ wrote:
> On 5/2/21 12:12 PM, William Unruh wrote:
>> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
>> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
>> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
>> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
>> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
>> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>>
>> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
>> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
>> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>>
>> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
>> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.
>>

> I used Clonezilla when I switched my rust drive to SSD, but then I
> didn't have any Windoze partitions. The only Windoze I have is in
> VirtualBox.
>
> TJ

Just a couple of thoughts, since like you, I still rely on Windows.

Firstly, your existing Win installation should have a key; there are
apps available to find it. But the idea of a key is so that every
computer at one address will have separate licenses. You are trying to
install the same licensed copy of Win on a different machine, just as if
it was a family member's laptop. For that, you need to contact
Microsoft in your country and arrange for them to transfer the license
from your old laptop to the new one. Some changes of hardware are
automatically accepted as upgrades, others are not.

Secondly, there have been a lot of claims around the Web that it is
possible to install Windows 10 without paying for a license. I haven't
investigated them.

Finally, you can download a Windows CD from Microsoft and pay the fee
for a new license. You made to do that anyway, for the reasons stated
above. I did it for Win 8.1. I have downloaded Windows 10 upgrades to
reinstall Windows when needed. It reduces the number of updates to
retrieve. Since the hardware hasn't changed, the existing online
activation still works.

HTH,

Doug.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6pa13$gav$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3558&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3558

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:57:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Mon, 3 May 2021 16:57 UTC

On 2021-05-03, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws@hotkey.net.au> wrote:
> On 3/5/21 11:50 pm, TJ wrote:
>
> Just a couple of thoughts, since like you, I still rely on Windows.
>
> Firstly, your existing Win installation should have a key; there are
> apps available to find it. But the idea of a key is so that every
> computer at one address will have separate licenses. You are trying to
> install the same licensed copy of Win on a different machine, just as if

No, I am not trying to install it on a different machine. I am trying to
install it on a new hard drive on the same machine.

> it was a family member's laptop. For that, you need to contact
> Microsoft in your country and arrange for them to transfer the license
> from your old laptop to the new one. Some changes of hardware are
> automatically accepted as upgrades, others are not.
>
> Secondly, there have been a lot of claims around the Web that it is
> possible to install Windows 10 without paying for a license. I haven't
> investigated them.
>
> Finally, you can download a Windows CD from Microsoft and pay the fee

Almost no machines have CDs anymore, or dvds. They have been replaced by
usb sticks, which is incredibly variable as to reliability. I have a
couple of USB3 sticks, that are no longer even recognized by any machine
I have.

> for a new license. You made to do that anyway, for the reasons stated
> above. I did it for Win 8.1. I have downloaded Windows 10 upgrades to
> reinstall Windows when needed. It reduces the number of updates to
> retrieve. Since the hardware hasn't changed, the existing online
> activation still works.
>
> HTH,
>
> Doug.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6vfrl$rpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3571&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3571

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 01:13:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 6 May 2021 01:13 UTC

On 2021-05-02, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> I have a dual (Win-Mageia) system. I need the Win to do taxes, and
> that's about it. However I do not have a Win installation disk (dell
> never supplied one) so I need to trnsfer my current win installation to
> the new SSD.(and I need the new Win partition to be bigger--something
> has filled up my current Win disk, and it is not the taxes software
> since I remove it from Win after doing my taxes for security reasons.
>
> Anyway-- how do I transfer my Win stuff to a new SSD?
> I did do a dd of each partition to an iso on a backup disk, but a) is
> that enough so I can recreate a bootable Win on the new disk?
>
> Noe that I cannot install both SSD on the same computer, so was going to
> stick the new disk into a usb caddy to do the transfer.

OK, I finally managed to do. I tried to do a dd of each of the
partitions on the old drive and write them into partition which were
slightly bigger than the old on the new machine. after about 5 hours of
work, (including opening upthe laptop to install the new ssd) nothing
booted. I then tried to install Mga8 which went fine and it finally
booted, but still Mga7 and Windows did not. Clearly something ( who
knows what) was wrong. So after much thought and trying to read the
varios articles on the net on "cloning" the hard drive-- which scared me
no end, cause I could see myself overwriting some crucial section of the
drive making it useless forever after. I finally downloaded the Samsung
Disk Data Migration software (I boght a Samsung 970 pEVO plus) and
migrated the C: drive. It worked, but of course grabbed everything else
on the disk for that new C drive. I then used gparted to shrink down
that C: partition to the size I wanted ( about 45GB). and partitioned
the rest of the disk for the Linus I wanted, labeling each partition. (2
30GB partitions for Mageia7 and Magea 8, and two 150GB partitions for
/local ( which contains anything variable) and /alt for extra space, and
backups, etc) I then tried to boot into Windows, and it worked:-)

I then rsynced the / partition of the old Mga7 into the first of the
30GB patitions, and installed Mga8 on the second. Mga booted fine. Mga7
simply froze part way through the boot with no indication of why. I
just sat there. By this time it was bedtime. When I woke I realised that
the partition numbers on the disk for Mga7, swap and the /local must
have changed. Going through /boot/grub2/grub.conf I changed the uttely
incomprehensible UUID= for LABEL= and the name (nvme0n1p9) of the old swap/restore
partion to the current swap (nvme0n1e6) in all the Mga7 stanzas. Lo and
behold, Mga7 now booted, as did Mga8 and Windows. Now all I had to do
all day was find all of the things that needed to be updated in Mga8. It
would have been so much easier in some ways if I had put Mga7 onto both
partitions, and then done an update install onto one of them with Mga8
(of course neither would have booted because of the wrong partitions.)

Still cannot get google-earth to work (segmentation fault) but everying
else, even zoom, seems to be working.

Anyway, I wanted to put the above here so others trying the same kind of
thing could see an example of someone who, more of less, successfully
managed to pull it off.

Ie, if I can save someone a day or 2 of their time, maybe my wasted time
will have some payback.

Re: transferring dual boot to new laptop SSD.

<s6vg86$rtr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3572&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3572

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 01:20:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Thu, 6 May 2021 01:20 UTC

PS, since my laptop only has on M.2 slot, I put my new one into a usb
caddy/enclosure, and used the Samsung software to transfer the Windows
to the usb. The docs on the Samsung software say that putting the
Samsung drive into a usb caddy may not work. It did.

The weird thing is that I got about 30MB/s transfer speed between the
internal ssd and the external, through a supposedly USB 3 usb port with
USB3.1 (red) cable. That is about 1/10 of what I should get. (the disk
is supposed to be 6Gb/s read and write speed, and the USB 3 should
handle 5Gb/s, 10 tiems my 300Mb/s transfer speed.

taskbar take up half the screen sort of nullifies the usefulness