There are running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

computers / comp.mobile.android / Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

SubjectAuthor
* Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothKen Blake
+* Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothKen Blake
| `* Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothEd Cryer
|  `- Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothKen Blake
+- Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothChar Jackson
`* Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and BlluetoothAndy Burnelli
 `- Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetoothknuttle

1
Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<j26eqhh0mcrf4bbhuq9jo89se3vhuhomja@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35752&group=comp.mobile.android#35752

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:22:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:22 UTC

I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
doing anything.

Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
its happening?

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<to76hv$8gsd$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35753&group=comp.mobile.android#35753

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:40:47 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:40 UTC

Am 24.12.22 um 16:22 schrieb Ken Blake:
> I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
> switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
> doing anything.
>
> Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
> its happening?

Lock the screen. I never hat an issue with my Pixels one of it being a
4. All these funcitions can be turned on or off with the quick access menu.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<1c8eqh103hlk16nk4rc9nrqtm2jtgbmf86@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35754&group=comp.mobile.android#35754

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:58:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 15:58 UTC

On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:40:47 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

>Am 24.12.22 um 16:22 schrieb Ken Blake:
>> I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
>> switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
>> doing anything.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
>> its happening?
>
>Lock the screen.

It's already locked.

>I never hat an issue with my Pixels one of it being a
>4. All these funcitions can be turned on or off with the quick access menu.

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<to7jbn$2bob4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35757&group=comp.mobile.android#35757

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:19:03 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:19 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:40:47 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 24.12.22 um 16:22 schrieb Ken Blake:
>>> I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
>>> switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
>>> doing anything.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
>>> its happening?
>>
>> Lock the screen.
>
> It's already locked.
>
>> I never hat an issue with my Pixels one of it being a
>> 4. All these funcitions can be turned on or off with the quick access menu.

I have a different collection of phones, but similar problems.
Most of them are caused by the arrangement of settings in the top boxes.
If you have Bluetooth on the edge up there, then a simple stray finger
can switch it on/off.
I've also found that putting the phone in my pocket not fully switched
off can produce all kinds of switcheroos.

Well, apart from all that there are some apps (Google features largely)
that just switch on Mobile Data whenever wifi isn't available.

Don't worry too much. You're in sympathetic company.
You could trawl through Notifications and Permissions on your phone,
spend hours optimising it, but WTF? There are better ways of spending time.

Leave the guardianship up to some freely-available software. There's
lots around.

Ed

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<9ileqhdbb0320s8tp6joj8sbdrpih63dhs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35758&group=comp.mobile.android#35758

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:46:37 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:46 UTC

On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:22:42 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
>switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
>doing anything.
>
>Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
>its happening?

I can't help answer your question, but I'll say that my Samsung Galaxy
phones, especially my previous S7 Edge and my current S20FE, sometimes*
turn off Auto Rotate. It's a simple matter of turning it back on, but
it's annoying. I've never had similar problems with Airplane Mode or
Bluetooth. Both of those stay where I put them.

*Maybe 2-3 times per year, so not a huge issue.

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<cssgqhlh0g57som747mfflp3atdd4ajfh2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35766&group=comp.mobile.android#35766

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 09:07:35 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 16:07 UTC

On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 19:19:03 +0000, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 16:40:47 +0100, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
>> wrote:

>>> Lock the screen.
>>
>> It's already locked.
>>
>>> I never hat an issue with my Pixels one of it being a
>>> 4. All these funcitions can be turned on or off with the quick access menu.
>
>I have a different collection of phones, but similar problems.
>Most of them are caused by the arrangement of settings in the top boxes.
>If you have Bluetooth on the edge up there, then a simple stray finger
>can switch it on/off.

I had the icon for the app that controls my hearing aids there. I
assume that uses bluetooth, so could that be the problem? I just moved
that icon to a lower row; I'll see if that fixes the problem.

>I've also found that putting the phone in my pocket not fully switched
>off can produce all kinds of switcheroos.

That's what I thought was most likely to be the problem, but I don't
know why that should be the case.

I never fully switch it off.

>Well, apart from all that there are some apps (Google features largely)
>that just switch on Mobile Data whenever wifi isn't available.
>
>Don't worry too much. You're in sympathetic company.

I don't worry about it, but it's a nuisance.

>You could trawl through Notifications and Permissions on your phone,
>spend hours optimising it, but WTF? There are better ways of spending time.
>
>Leave the guardianship up to some freely-available software. There's
>lots around.

Is there something you recommend that I should be using?

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<tofcoa$14je$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35792&group=comp.mobile.android#35792

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:15:51 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:15 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

> I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
> switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
> doing anything.
>
> Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
> its happening?

Hi Ken,

What's your Android version?

I have a thread on some of this topic where when I moved to Android 12,
instantly, the phone kept switching, all on its own, to Auto Rotate.

I found out (we'd have to dig into that thread for the details), that in
Android 12, Google, in their infinite wisdom, modified the auto-rotate
feature to be "always on" (in a sadistic kind of way) depending on whether
or not you are _looking_ at the device (it has a proximity feature).

Even though I turned all that proximity stuff off, my Galaxy _still_ kept
switching to auto-rotate mode, until I added a third-party app to stop it.

I'm sure I posted in that thread that solution, as I often do, so everyone
benefits from all the effort and kind advice that people provide, so we can
dig that up if necessary in the permanent archives for this newsgroup.

The caveat is that this only applies to Android 12 (AFAIK) because of teh
new proximity-related-rotation features Google added, and as far as I'm
aware, Airplane Mode (which I never use), wasn't affected (AFAICT anyway).

As a somewhat related aside, again so that everyone learns from every
effort, in Android 12 is a special tile named "Sensors Off", which will
turn off _every_ sensor in the device - which - perhaps - works better than
Airplane Mode does if/when the goal is to instantly isolate the phone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/mkGpvPmJ/sensorsoff01.jpg> All Sensors Off tile

Good luck.

Re: Airplane Modem Auto Rotate, and Blluetooth

<tofen9$3mldb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35795&group=comp.mobile.android#35795

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 13:49:26 -0500
 by: knuttle - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:49 UTC

On 12/27/2022 1:15 PM, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I have a Pixel 4a. Every so often Airplane Mode or Auto Rotate get
>> switched on by themselves or Bluetooth gets turned off without my
>> doing anything.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea why this happens or what I can do to prevent
>> its happening?
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> What's your Android version?
>
> I have a thread on some of this topic where when I moved to Android 12,
> instantly, the phone kept switching, all on its own, to Auto Rotate.
>
> I found out (we'd have to dig into that thread for the details), that in
> Android 12, Google, in their infinite wisdom, modified the auto-rotate
> feature to be "always on" (in a sadistic kind of way) depending on whether
> or not you are _looking_ at the device (it has a proximity feature).
>
> Even though I turned all that proximity stuff off, my Galaxy _still_ kept
> switching to auto-rotate mode, until I added a third-party app to stop it.
>
> I'm sure I posted in that thread that solution, as I often do, so everyone
> benefits from all the effort and kind advice that people provide, so we can
> dig that up if necessary in the permanent archives for this newsgroup.
>
> The caveat is that this only applies to Android 12 (AFAIK) because of teh
> new proximity-related-rotation features Google added, and as far as I'm
> aware, Airplane Mode (which I never use), wasn't affected (AFAICT anyway).
>
> As a somewhat related aside, again so that everyone learns from every
> effort, in Android 12 is a special tile named "Sensors Off", which will
> turn off _every_ sensor in the device - which - perhaps - works better than
> Airplane Mode does if/when the goal is to instantly isolate the phone.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/mkGpvPmJ/sensorsoff01.jpg> All Sensors Off tile
>
> Good luck.

I also have my auto rotate going on all the time when I have to turn it
off. If you can figure out the cause, please post it so it will stop.