<Tazman> damn my office is cold. <Tazman> need a hot secretary to warm it up. -- Seen on #Linux

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023NewsKrawler
+* Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Carlos E.R.
| `* Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Andy Burnelli
|  `* Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Andy Burns
|   `- Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Andy Burnelli
`* Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Bodger
 `- Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023Andy Burnelli

1
Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<to5ei1$7fpd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35744&group=comp.mobile.android#35744

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 23:45:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 23:45 UTC

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-roadmap-2023-3259454/
Google's entire 2023-2025 roadmap for Pixel phones

Two Pixel phones - codenamed "lynx" and "felix" - will launch around Google
I/O in April or May. These two phones have already leaked, with "lynx"
referring to the Pixel 7a and "felix" to the Pixel Fold (which has also
been referred to as the Pixel Notepad, although Pixel Fold is likely going
to be the marketed name).

Google will keep the same pricing for the Pixel 7a, which would mean a US
retail price of $449 to match the Pixel 6a.

The big Google news in 2023 will be the launch of the first foldable Pixel.

Meanwhile, the foldable phone would land at the previously leaked price of
$1,799, putting it into direct competition with Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold
series.

Later in 2023, Google will launch two new phones in its mainline series:
the Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro. One notable shift is the shrinking of the
Pixel 8 (codenamed "shiba"), meaning it will have a smaller display and
overall smaller form factor. However, "husky" - aka the Pixel 8 Pro - will
have the same display and general measurements as the Pixel 7 Pro.

Finally, the codename for the silicon debuting with the Pixel 8 series is
"zuma." Google will almost certainly market this as Tensor G3.

Google wants to mimic Apple's successful sizing strategy, which means it
needs a Pro-level phone that isn't as large as the Pixel 7 Pro. Pricing,
naming, and availability are all up in the air, but the goal of three
phones is set in stone.

All three of these phones should see the debut of Tensor G4, which we have
learned is codenamed "redondo."

Finally, there is a plan for a follow-up foldable in 2024.

Google's attempt to match Apple's approach of having more palm-friendly
pro-level phones should be happening in 2023, not 2024. By then, Apple's
strategy may have changed. After all, the "Mini" iPhone series wasn't a big
success, and it looks like the iPhone 14 Plus will see a similar fate. If
Google wants to chase Apple, it needs to be faster than this.

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<to68hu$80hs$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35747&group=comp.mobile.android#35747

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 08:08:46 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 07:08 UTC

Am 24.12.22 um 00:45 schrieb NewsKrawler:
> Meanwhile, the foldable phone would land at the previously leaked price of
> $1,799, putting it into direct competition with Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold
> series.

Not very difficult to predict that these hopelessly overpriced gadgets
will be nonstarters. And the durability? Moving parts are always the
weak points of everything.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<c5si7jx6et.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35748&group=comp.mobile.android#35748

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 10:08:28 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 09:08 UTC

On 2022-12-24 08:08, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 24.12.22 um 00:45 schrieb NewsKrawler:
>> Meanwhile, the foldable phone would land at the previously leaked price of
>> $1,799, putting it into direct competition with Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold
>> series.
>
> Not very difficult to predict that these hopelessly overpriced gadgets
> will be nonstarters. And the durability? Moving parts are always the
> weak points of everything.

Right.

I'll never buy a foldable phone nor recommend one, unless there is a
real need for one.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<jhEpL.187407$8_id.150251@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35750&group=comp.mobile.android#35750

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nob...@nowh.ere (Bodger)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 09:46:38 -0500
 by: Bodger - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 14:46 UTC

On 12/23/2022 6:45 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-roadmap-2023-3259454/
> Google's entire 2023-2025 roadmap for Pixel phones

snip...

I'm trying to figure out what attraction a foldable phone might hold. It
certainly doesn't appeal to me. It seems that it would simply add another
layer of actions required to do something as simple as checking who an
incoming message was from. Even with my semi-elderly 75-year-old eyes the
screen real estate seems sufficient with a Pixel Pro phone without getting
into the clumsily-huge size.

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<tocm68$ra0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35781&group=comp.mobile.android#35781

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 17:38:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 17:38 UTC

Bodger wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what attraction a foldable phone might hold.

IMHO... foldables are not ready yet as they're still too pricey.

When I was at T-Mobile getting my free Galaxy replaced (for the second
time, although I can't really blame the phone as I'm rough on them), I
circumvented the process so I was there the moment UPS arrived with my
phone.

What I didn't know what that the managers have to spend about an hour with
paperwork BEFORE they can hand me that brand new replacement phone, so I
walked about the store and spied me one of 'them foldable geewhizzets!

My tired old eyes wanted to see what my apps would look like on the big
screen, where I was shocked that they didn't have security (they wouldn't
let you download from the Google Play Store but they didn't block others).
<https://i.postimg.cc/Vk7QyrNd/flipphone01.jpg> folding phone test

I was curious, specifically, what both the Wi-Fi access point signal
strength was and the signal strength of the T-Mobile carrier itself.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3N6nhvqF/flipphone02.jpg> T-Mobile signal test

The fact that I could circumvent their normal Google Play Store block
notwithstanding, what impressed me about the folding phone was that it
doubled in size while still fitting (folded of course) in a pocket.

Nonetheless, the drawbacks are, of course, that fesshugena crease,
and, of course, the hefty weight of the thing.

Still - it's nice to have a doubled screen size for 'me old tired eyes.
But alas, the price of a tablet is vastly less than of this foldable.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to ruminate on the merits of foldable phones.

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<tocm7k$rb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35782&group=comp.mobile.android#35782

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 17:39:13 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 17:39 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I'll never buy a foldable phone nor recommend one, unless there is a
> real need for one.

They do double the size of the screen, as my test in the T-Mo store shows.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Vk7QyrNd/flipphone01.jpg> folding phone test
<https://i.postimg.cc/3N6nhvqF/flipphone02.jpg> T-Mobile signal test

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<k0u61cFrhsoU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35783&group=comp.mobile.android#35783

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 18:04:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 18:04 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> I'll never buy a foldable phone nor recommend one, unless there is a real need
>> for one.
>
> They do double the size of the screen,

And the thickness from one I saw a colleague uses.

Re: Google will launch the first foldable Pixel in 2023

<tocv1u$ir7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35785&group=comp.mobile.android#35785

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:09:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 20:09 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> They do double the size of the screen,
>
> And the thickness from one I saw a colleague uses.

Indeed. In fact, therein lies a logical conundrum.

As I recall, the battery isn't what's taking up all that space.
And yet, the cubic area is clearly doubled on the phone I tested.

What's in that twice-the-normal-size of the cubic area (if not battery)?
--
CAVEAT: I haven't looked this up so the answer may be simple.