From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: PSA In addition to Wireless Debugging, there's a Sensors Off tile in Developer options quick settings
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:44:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:44 UTC

PSA

In addition to Wireless Debugging, there's a new Sensors Off tile
in my Android 12 Developer options quick settings tile selection.
<https://i.postimg.cc/KzR44DpT/sensorsoff01.jpg> All Sensors Off tile

While the Wireless debugging tile is fantastically useful in terms of
efficiency (since I'm always connected to the PC over Wi-Fi using adb),
I'm not sure how practical this new quick-settings sensors-off tile is.

It turns off _different_ features than Airplane Mode will turn off.
<https://source.android.com/docs/core/interaction/sensors/sensors-off>

For example, the camera and microphone and auto rotation are affected
and it turns off the accelerometer & gyroscope but apparently Bluetooth,
Wi-Fi and GPS are not affected (since they have their own toggles).
<https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/turn-off-all-tracking-sensors-android-10-0206277/>

In addition to the camera, accelerometer, proximity sensor & compass,
apparently other sensors might be affected as well, such as barometer,
gyro, or fingerprint sensors - but not WiFi or Bluetooth radios.
<https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/08/android-q-lets-you-quickly-disable-your-phones-sensors/>

In summary, it's good to know this (hidden) feature exists, especially as
it does something different from Airplane Mode (which we all know about).

But I'm not sure yet how useful it may be... (let me know what you think).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to inform people of the new sensors-off tile.