From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: (PSA) Using GSam Battery Monitor [Better Battery Monitor (BBM)] for Android battery statistics
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 23:35:20 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 23:35 UTC

Example using GSam Battery Monitor [Better Battery Monitor (BBM)]
<https://i.postimg.cc/bNGQrMzn/gsam01.jpg> GSam Battery Monitor on Google
<https://i.postimg.cc/dQN2qvKv/gsam02.jpg> com.gsamlabs.bbm on Google Play
<https://i.postimg.cc/wBzJWjD5/gsam03.jpg> Running GSam Battery Monitor
<https://i.postimg.cc/brr1QVkK/gsam04.jpg> OPTIONAL grant access w/o root
<https://i.postimg.cc/BbRP2SqK/gsam05.jpg> Enable More Stats (via adb grant)
<https://i.postimg.cc/9MJGwHRd/gsam06.jpg> Battery Usage Since Last Unplugged
<https://i.postimg.cc/XNPCR8wY/gsam07.jpg> Compare WiFi & Phone Radio power
<https://i.postimg.cc/nzH4LhzV/gsam08.jpg> Battery consumption charts
<https://i.postimg.cc/QxWThTbk/gsam09.jpg> Battery consumption by CPU
<https://i.postimg.cc/MpQbPLNw/gsam10.jpg> Battery consumption by app

REFERENCE:
*Use GSam to Its Fullest Potential to Monitor Battery Life, CPU Usage & More*
<https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-gsam-its-fullest-potential-monitor-battery-life-cpu-usage-more-0176857/>

I had told some experts that I used adb over Wi-Fi to mirror my
Android phone onto the PC monitor using scrcpy/sndcpy and they
warned that it "might" degrade the battery sooner then expected.

They suggested I run GSam Battery Monitor to see the impact.
*GSam Battery Monitor* by GSam Labs
Free, requires GSF, Contains ads, rated 4.4/72.7K reviews@1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm>
<https://gsamlabs.com/>

Optionally, I enabled permission which normally requires root:
c:\> adb shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm android.permission.BATTERY_STATS
adb.exe: more than one device/emulator

c:\> adb devices
List of devices attached
192.168.1.4:43667 device
adb-XXXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX._adb-tls-connect._tcp. device

c:\> adb -s 192.168.1.4 shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm android.permission.BATTERY_STATS
(that popped up a status of "granted" on the phone screen)

But when I checked, I didn't see those permissions (go figure).
c:\> adb -s 192.168.1.4 shell pm list permissions | findstr gsa
permission:com.google.android.apps.gsa.nga.engine.stash.BROADCAST
permission:com.google.android.apps.gsa.nga.permissions.EDIT_PREFERENCES
(If you know why the permissions didn't show up, please let me know.)

Anyway, the permissions are definitely granted because menus changed.
Above are some screenshots that show my initial results run today.

As always, I post this so that others benefit from my efforts.

In addition, if you can help me determine which statistics matter,
that would be helpful as I don't see any negative impact from
running scrcpy/sndcpy using adb over Wi-Fi even as I only charge
my batter to 85% (to prolong overall battery life).
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to help others get GSAM set up for battery stats.