Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

SubjectAuthor
* Transfering data using high frequency audioKen Hart
+* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burns
|`* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioBig Dog
| `* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burnelli
|   `* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burns
|    `* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burnelli
|     +- Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAndy Burns
|     `- Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAlan
`* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAlan
 `* Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioEli the Bearded
  `- Re: Transfering data using high frequency audioAlan

1
Transfering data using high frequency audio

<toe6a1$mih$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35787&group=comp.mobile.android#35787

From: kwha...@frontier.com (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Transfering data using high frequency audio
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 02:19:42 -0500
 by: Ken Hart - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 07:19 UTC

I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
How does that work?

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<k0vpgpF4hc9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35788&group=comp.mobile.android#35788

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 08:42:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 08:42 UTC

Ken Hart wrote:

> I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
> How does that work?

Google chromecast devices (probably newer Nest devices too?) use ultrasonics if
you allow "guest" users to access them.

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<toecc1$q3l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35789&group=comp.mobile.android#35789

From: BD7...@gmail.com (Big Dog)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 04:03:10 -0500
 by: Big Dog - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:03 UTC

On 12/27/2022 3:42 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

>> I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
>> How does that work?
>
> Google chromecast devices (probably newer Nest devices too?) use ultrasonics if
> you allow "guest" users to access them.

Does a smartphone have an ultrasonic radio switch to turn it on and off?
Where?

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<k0vr32F4ngtU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35790&group=comp.mobile.android#35790

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:09:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 09:09 UTC

Big Dog wrote:

> Does a smartphone have an ultrasonic radio switch to turn it on and off?
> Where?

ultrasonic just uses mic and speaker, not any radio

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<tofbje$jbe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35791&group=comp.mobile.android#35791

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:56:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:56 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> Does a smartphone have an ultrasonic radio switch to turn it on and off?
>> Where?
>
> ultrasonic just uses mic and speaker, not any radio

Woo hoo! I love cross-platform portability!

I noticed this thread speaks of yet another way to transfer data between
devices using *ultrasonic* audio between compatible devices' speakers/mics.

Since I have iOS & Android devices, I'm going to look into this cross
platform *ultrasonic* capability since it doesn't need Wi-Fi or cable.
<https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00048603/>

The *ultrasonic" file transfer seems to "run" on Windows, macOS,
and Android (but does the ultrasonic file tranfer work on iOS?).
<https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch>

And yet, Samsung "says" it can transfer between iPhone and Android.
<https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061001/>
But, they seem to be using the iCloud (which isn't ultrasonic).

So it's confusing, at least to someone who has never used it (like I).

If anyone here has already used ultrasonic file transfer, please let me
know what you can teach me about it, as it sounds like good functionality.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=samsung+smart+switch&c=apps>

The first question to ponder is which of the _many_ related ultrasonic
file transfer apps is best where this is the canonical Samsung app.
*Samsung Smart Switch Mobile* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Free, ad free, requires gsf, rated 4.1/345K reviews @ 100M+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover>

Second question is _how_ does it work. For example, if it uses the cloud,
it's not "really" transferring between two devices over a peer-to-peer connect.

Is it truly transferring files using an *ultrasonic* ad hoc network
between two devices?

If so, what two devices (particularly, can it go between iOS & Android)?

In summary, I was unaware of *ultrasonic* file transfer until I read this
thread today, wherre I'd like to transfer files ultrasonically between
either iOS and Android (and vice versa) or between iOS/Android & the PC.

Anyone with experience in such ad hoc ultrasonic file transfer is
asked to lend your experiences to the rest of us so we all benefit.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to learn more about ultrasonic file transfer.

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<k10rqlF9ktgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35793&group=comp.mobile.android#35793

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:28:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:28 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Is it truly transferring files using an *ultrasonic* ad hoc network
> between two devices?

With chromecasts, it just uses the ultrasonic "connection" to do the wifi
pairing ... I'd imagine the audio transfer rate is pretty low?

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<tofh6m$13n0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35796&group=comp.mobile.android#35796

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:31:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:31 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> Is it truly transferring files using an *ultrasonic* ad hoc network
>> between two devices?
>
> With chromecasts, it just uses the ultrasonic "connection" to do the wifi
> pairing ... I'd imagine the audio transfer rate is pretty low?

Hi Andy,
I'm sorry if these are simplistic questions, as I had originally thought
file transfer was over an ad hoc ultrasonic network between two devices.

And I wish to repeat I have _zero_ experience with ultrasonic negotiation
of ad hoc networks (as my past ad hoc networks were usually bluetooth).

If file transfer is over Wi-Fi, and if both devices are on the same
network, why would you even need the initial ultrasonic negotiation?

And, if both devices are NOT on a Wi-Fi network, then why not just
negotiate the connection & affect the file transfer both with Bluetooth?
[Yes, I know Bluetooth transfer is slower than is Wi-Fi but this is about
the negotiation part of the ad hoc network - not the transfer per se.]

What's the advantage of ultrasonic negotiation of the initial ad hoc network?

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<k114i5FatqqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35797&group=comp.mobile.android#35797

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:57:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:57 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> If file transfer is over Wi-Fi, and if both devices are on the same
> network, why would you even need the initial ultrasonic negotiation?

The idea is, you have one or more chromecasts in your house, connected to
speakers, you can send music to them. If you also want visitors to be able to
send their music to your speakers, you can enable the ultrasonic option, which
acts as a "zero knowledge" method of pairing with it over wifi (not sure if it
uses an ad-hoc connection, or just dishes out the passphrase to your normal SSID).

> And, if both devices are NOT on a Wi-Fi network, then why not just
> negotiate the connection & affect the file transfer both with Bluetooth?
>  [Yes, I know Bluetooth transfer is slower than is Wi-Fi but this is about
> the negotiation part of the ad hoc network - not the transfer per se.]
>
> What's the advantage of ultrasonic negotiation of the initial ad hoc network?

Simplicity.

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<tog7nl$3ots1$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35798&group=comp.mobile.android#35798

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:56:05 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 01:56 UTC

On 2022-12-26 23:19, Ken Hart wrote:
> I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
> How does that work?

It doesn't.

It uses the sonic equivalent of a QR code to instruct a phone how to
join an ad hoc wifi network.

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<tog7q3$3ots1$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35799&group=comp.mobile.android#35799

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:57:23 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 01:57 UTC

On 2022-12-27 11:31, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>>> Is it truly transferring files using an *ultrasonic* ad hoc network
>>> between two devices?
>>
>> With chromecasts, it just uses the ultrasonic "connection" to do the
>> wifi pairing ... I'd imagine the audio transfer rate is pretty low?
>
> Hi Andy,
> I'm sorry if these are simplistic questions, as I had originally thought
> file transfer was over an ad hoc ultrasonic network between two devices.

I'm sorry, but there is no evidence to support that proposition that
you've ever "thought".

> And I wish to repeat I have _zero_ experience with ultrasonic negotiation
> of ad hoc networks (as my past ad hoc networks were usually bluetooth).

No... ...I bet they weren't.

> If file transfer is over Wi-Fi, and if both devices are on the same
> network, why would you even need the initial ultrasonic negotiation?
> And, if both devices are NOT on a Wi-Fi network, then why not just
> negotiate the connection & affect the file transfer both with Bluetooth?
>  [Yes, I know Bluetooth transfer is slower than is Wi-Fi but this is
> about   the negotiation part of the ad hoc network - not the transfer
> per se.]
>
> What's the advantage of ultrasonic negotiation of the initial ad hoc
> network?

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<eli$2212292245@qaz.wtf>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35806&group=comp.mobile.android#35806

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 03:45:50 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 03:45 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2022-12-26 23:19, Ken Hart wrote:
>> I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
>> How does that work?
> It doesn't.

:^)

> It uses the sonic equivalent of a QR code to instruct a phone how to
> join an ad hoc wifi network.

That's by definition transfering data, just very little of it. I know
the $WORK provided Webex software uses audio to communicate external
devices if you want to transfer a conference call / video meeting to a
wall mounted device. But since I don't have such a device, I didn't look
further than the option to that keeps the microphone active 100% of the
time on my (work-issued and owned) computer.

Elijah
------
would be unlikely to install Webex on a personal device

Re: Transfering data using high frequency audio

<tolod5$it8d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35808&group=comp.mobile.android#35808

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 20:11:16 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 04:11 UTC

On 2022-12-29 19:45, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-12-26 23:19, Ken Hart wrote:
>>> I heard samsung smart switch uses high frequency audio to transfer data.
>>> How does that work?
>> It doesn't.
>
> :^)
>
>> It uses the sonic equivalent of a QR code to instruct a phone how to
>> join an ad hoc wifi network.
>
> That's by definition transfering data, just very little of it. I know
> the $WORK provided Webex software uses audio to communicate external
> devices if you want to transfer a conference call / video meeting to a
> wall mounted device. But since I don't have such a device, I didn't look
> further than the option to that keeps the microphone active 100% of the
> time on my (work-issued and owned) computer.

But the subject was FILE transfer...

....not a few bytes.