From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 20:15:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 5 May 2021 20:15 UTC

Has anyone figured out how to put the old AdobeReader onto Mageia 8? It
installed on Magea 7 but Mga8 has removed some of the 32 bit libraries
needed to run the ancient Reader. In particular, the libglib (which
also requires libpcre, and libtff) which are also not in the 32 bit Mga8
repositories.

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<s6uuhc$l29$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3564

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 20:17:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 5 May 2021 20:17 UTC

On 2021-05-05, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
> Has anyone figured out how to put the old AdobeReader onto Mageia 8? It
> installed on Magea 7 but Mga8 has removed some of the 32 bit libraries
> needed to run the ancient Reader. In particular, the libglib (which
> also requires libpcre, and libtff) which are also not in the 32 bit Mga8
SOrry, that is libffi not libtff that it needs
> repositories.

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<op.02xt98u0a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3566

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 17:07:10 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 5 May 2021 21:07 UTC

On Wed, 05 May 2021 16:17:48 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:

> On 2021-05-05, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> Has anyone figured out how to put the old AdobeReader onto Mageia 8? It
>> installed on Magea 7 but Mga8 has removed some of the 32 bit libraries
>> needed to run the ancient Reader. In particular, the libglib (which
>> also requires libpcre, and libtff) which are also not in the 32 bit Mga8
> SOrry, that is libffi not libtff that it needs
>> repositories.

Don't use the linux adobe reader. It has too many security flaws. Either use
something like xpdf, okular, etc. If you must use adobe reader, run the
windows version either in a vb windows guest or via wine.
https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?t=13654

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org to davidwhodgins@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<s6v2vg$jk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3567

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 21:33:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 5 May 2021 21:33 UTC

On 2021-05-05, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 May 2021 16:17:48 -0400, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-05-05, William Unruh <unruh@invalid.ca> wrote:
>>> Has anyone figured out how to put the old AdobeReader onto Mageia 8? It
>>> installed on Magea 7 but Mga8 has removed some of the 32 bit libraries
>>> needed to run the ancient Reader. In particular, the libglib (which
>>> also requires libpcre, and libtff) which are also not in the 32 bit Mga8
>> SOrry, that is libffi not libtff that it needs
>>> repositories.
>
> Don't use the linux adobe reader. It has too many security flaws. Either use
> something like xpdf, okular, etc. If you must use adobe reader, run the
> windows version either in a vb windows guest or via wine.
> https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?t=13654

Unfortunately there are some communications I get which use types of
Forms that nothing else handles (eg from the Gov't who seem to hire the
most imcompetent programers, who feel that that their job is to use the
latest fanciest stuff, never mind that the users cannot read them.)

I try to disconnect myself from the web when using acroread.

> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<s73bn1$5b4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3581&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3581

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 08:27:03 -0400
 by: TJ - Fri, 7 May 2021 12:27 UTC

On 5/5/21 5:33 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2021-05-05, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> SOrry, that is libffi not libtff that it needs
>>
>> Don't use the linux adobe reader. It has too many security flaws. Either use
>> something like xpdf, okular, etc. If you must use adobe reader, run the
>> windows version either in a vb windows guest or via wine.
>> https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?t=13654
>
> Unfortunately there are some communications I get which use types of
> Forms that nothing else handles (eg from the Gov't who seem to hire the
> most imcompetent programers, who feel that that their job is to use the
> latest fanciest stuff, never mind that the users cannot read them.)
>
> I try to disconnect myself from the web when using acroread.

I'm surprised that "the latest fanciest stuff" works for you even with
the old Linux Adobe Reader.

I've had to use Adobe Reader in a Windows XP VB guest for years to fill
out, save the filled-in form, and print my New York State tax forms, but
this year they changed them once again so that I had to "upgrade" to a
Windows 7 guest with the latest Adobe Reader, or it wouldn't print them.
And, I've run into a couple of other "interactive" order forms that
wouldn't work with anything but the latest Windows/Mac Adobe Reader.

I figure it's only a matter of time, a short time, before I'm forced to
update that Win7 guest to Win10, so that things will continue to work.
Fortunately, I only have to endure it a few times a year.

TJ

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<slrns9aela.9a81.BitTwister@wb.home.test>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3582&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3582

From: BitTwis...@mouse-potato.com (Bit Twister)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 08:03:38 -0500
 by: Bit Twister - Fri, 7 May 2021 13:03 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:27:03 -0400, TJ wrote:

> I've had to use Adobe Reader in a Windows XP VB guest for years to fill
> out, save the filled-in form, and print my New York State tax forms, but
> this year they changed them once again so that I had to "upgrade" to a
> Windows 7 guest with the latest Adobe Reader, or it wouldn't print them.

just for fun you might try libreoffice some_file.pdf
I just now checked that on my mga8 install and was able to change
my H&R Block tax .pdf file.

Re: Mageia 8 and AdobeReader?

<s73km4$ikv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3583&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#3583

From: TJ...@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 11:00:18 -0400
 by: TJ - Fri, 7 May 2021 15:00 UTC

On 5/7/21 9:03 AM, Bit Twister wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:27:03 -0400, TJ wrote:
>

>> I've had to use Adobe Reader in a Windows XP VB guest for years to fill
>> out, save the filled-in form, and print my New York State tax forms, but
>> this year they changed them once again so that I had to "upgrade" to a
>> Windows 7 guest with the latest Adobe Reader, or it wouldn't print them.
>
> just for fun you might try libreoffice some_file.pdf
> I just now checked that on my mga8 install and was able to change
> my H&R Block tax .pdf file.

It doesn't work.

I can operate with federal tax forms downloaded from the IRS with
Okular. I can fill them out, save them for multiple sessions, print them
when finished.

It's some of the NY forms that are the problem. The IT-201 (NY's version
of federal 1040) in particular. A few years back, NY went to an
"enhanced" form that will do calculations, look up items like standard
deduction, stuff like that. The form refuses to work with any Linux
application. All you see if you use something from Linux, anything, is a
notice that you need Adobe Reader.

The printed form contains information hidden in bar codes, making it
easier for the state to process them. Last two years, it asks for
state-issued ID information for security purposes, and will not allow
the form to be printed without it. It is possible to download the
old-fashioned paper form to be filled out by hand, but the use of such a
form results in long delays for processing while the state confirms
identity information.

The notice that shows up if you try to use something from Linux says
that the form is readable with Adobe Reader 6 and higher, but, if you
want to save the filled-in form you need Adobe Reader DC (2015) or
higher. And, it is true.

TJ