Real Programmers don't eat quiche. They eat Twinkies and Szechwan food.

computers / comp.misc / Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

SubjectAuthor
* high-school presentation, suggestions?Johanne Fairchild
+* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?John
|`* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?John
| `- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?D
+- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Stefan Ram
+* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Scott Dorsey
|`* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Stefan Ram
| +- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Johanne Fairchild
| `* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Scott Dorsey
|  +* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Stefan Ram
|  |`- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Scott Dorsey
|  `* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Spiros Bousbouras
|   +* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Scott Dorsey
|   |`- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Rich
|   +- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Rich
|   `* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Spiros Bousbouras
|    `- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Anton Shepelev
`* Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?Lawrence D'Oliveiro
 `- Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?candycanearter07

1
high-school presentation, suggestions?

<87il1f8o3u.fsf@tudado.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3559&group=comp.misc#3559

From: jfairch...@tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: high-school presentation, suggestions?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:57:09 -0300
sha1:7uUQVM1Opu1WnM3Mn8CZjO0Ax2w=
 by: Johanne Fairchild - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:57 UTC

I'm going to present something about the exact sciences to high-school
students I never met. In the area of mathematics or computer science,
what would be a nice short presentation? What is the computer about?

My best idea for the moment is to present what the computer does par
excellence. What does the computer do par excellence? I think it's
simulations. I have a personal story involving a simulation that sort
of shows what the computer is about.

When I was very young (about 8 years old or something like that), there
was a very charming person in the building I lived who invited me to
play a card game called WAR. We went to the playground and I was taught
the game, which was very simple even for an 8-year-old. It turns out
the game was very boring even to an 8-year-old. You split the deck of
cards and each player takes half of the deck. Cards faced down. Now
each player puts a card face up on the table. The player with the
highest card wins the table. If it ties, then the table accumulates and
each player opens up a new card until one wins. The objective of the
game is to win all your opponent's cards. We played with two decks of
cards, which made the game last a long time. I did not ever want to
play it again. So it stayed with me that this is the most boring card
game I ever.

Anyway, many years later now I was one weekend at my sister's and
talking to my nephews I came up with the idea---hey, wanna play the most
boring card ever? You know children. They said a loud---YES! So we
did it. Remarkably, they seemed to enjoy themselves and competed
against each other. (They never played it again, though!)

Anyway, that was on a Sunday. I came back home at the end of the day
and kept thinking about that game for the first time. I asked
myself---could this game ever repeat on forever? You see, I was worried
with my nephews that I'd be stuck at that table forever. Luckily, the
game ended again about half-hour later. (We played with a single deck
of cards.)

So I decided to make a simulation. I wrote the code and ran the game.
What I found surprised me. On the computer, after the two players's
cards were face up on the table, the player who won the table would take
the cards all in the order they were placed. The fact that this order
was not changed seemed to have made the game very likely to repeat on
forever. Using a sample of 1000 game runs, the probability that a game
would end was 0.128, about 13%. So the probability of a never-ending
game seems to be about 87%.

I then decided to run the game such that the player who won would
shuffle the cards before putting them back at the end of his stack of
cards. Doing the simulation this way results in the game ending nearly
always---99% probability. Now, I'm saying 99% because I simply did not
find a single game run that went on forever. (But I don't think the
probability is 100%. But the statatistic /is/ 100%.)

I asked myself---why does the shuffling make the game likely to end? I
don't know.

Bottom-line is that the computer is a lot of fun. It can see things
that we would likely never see it ourselves without it.

And that's my idea for the presentation. It's about the computer. It's
about what I think the computer does best---simulate other things. And
it's about very interesting things such as probability.

It's personal. It's real. And it's funny: I was an 8-year-old very
excited to play a new game, but then I realized the game just kept me
staring along the luck of each half of the deck for about an hour. :)
(But it was worth it! The game was boring, but my opponent was very
interesting.)

Any cool ideas you might want to suggest me? Thanks!

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<865xxf5qh4.fsf@building-m.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=comp.misc#3560

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:34:15 +0000
 by: John - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:34 UTC

Johanne Fairchild <jfairchild@tudado.org> writes:
<snip>
> So I decided to make a simulation. I wrote the code and ran the game.
> What I found surprised me. On the computer, after the two players's
> cards were face up on the table, the player who won the table would take
> the cards all in the order they were placed. The fact that this order
> was not changed seemed to have made the game very likely to repeat on
> forever. Using a sample of 1000 game runs, the probability that a game
> would end was 0.128, about 13%. So the probability of a never-ending
> game seems to be about 87%.
>
> I then decided to run the game such that the player who won would
> shuffle the cards before putting them back at the end of his stack of
> cards. Doing the simulation this way results in the game ending nearly
> always---99% probability. Now, I'm saying 99% because I simply did not
> find a single game run that went on forever. (But I don't think the
> probability is 100%. But the statatistic /is/ 100%.)
>
> I asked myself---why does the shuffling make the game likely to end? I
> don't know.

In your sample set of two real-world games, both games ended. Based on
your initial simulation, there's about a 1.6% chance that in two games,
both would end -- lucky, I guess?

As a child, I played War plenty of times, and while I'm sure we gave up
on some games, I believe most of them ended. I certainly don't remember
giving up on 9/10ths of them as unwinnable.

This would lead me to believe that your initial simulation was
flawed.

First, I'd want to know how you determined that a game was "unending" --
since by definition such a game could continue indefinitely, you must
have selected a number at which you'd "give up" on the game. How did you
pick that number?

Secondly, I'm a bit confused by your assertion that collecting the cards
unshuffled would make the game "very likely to repeat".

I'd hesitate to use this example for your presentation because many of
the students in your audience will have played War, and they will
probably balk at your initial simulation's results the same way I did
("9 out of 10 games of War will never end? That doesn't sound
right"). Also, although you got different results due to shuffling, you
don't have any idea *why*, which is unsatisfying. So the moral of your
story is that, using the computer, you were able to get two answers
which don't actually make any sense.

john

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<861q835qah.fsf@building-m.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=comp.misc#3561

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:38:14 +0000
 by: John - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:38 UTC

John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> writes:
> First, I'd want to know how you determined that a game was "unending" --
> since by definition such a game could continue indefinitely, you must
> have selected a number at which you'd "give up" on the game. How did you
> pick that number?

Sorry, I shouldn't have leapt to the most naive implementation here: you
could have also implemented some sort of detection for "loops".

Would be interested to see the code, by the way.

john

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<52b2c70c-fdcb-b6ac-9918-6599ba9ef86a@example.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=comp.misc#3562

From: nos...@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:59:09 +0100
 by: D - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:59 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024, John wrote:

> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> writes:
>> First, I'd want to know how you determined that a game was "unending" --
>> since by definition such a game could continue indefinitely, you must
>> have selected a number at which you'd "give up" on the game. How did you
>> pick that number?
>>

> Sorry, I shouldn't have leapt to the most naive implementation here: you
> could have also implemented some sort of detection for "loops".
>
> Would be interested to see the code, by the way.
>
> john

Based on he youngest people I teach they seem to be very interested in
hacking and crypto currencies.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<loops-20240321220716@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=comp.misc#3563

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 21 Mar 2024 21:08:49 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:08 UTC

Johanne Fairchild <jfairchild@tudado.org> wrote or quoted:
>I asked myself---why does the shuffling make the game likely to end?

Periodicity (getting into a loop) often is not stable. When you
start at noon and repeatedly add 12 hours, then you get the
repeating sequence "noon - midnight - noon - midnight - ...".
But if instead you add 12 hours plus a random time (even a small
one), the outcome nearly always will not be periodic anymore.

Now, imagine that there is some "end rule". For example,
the addition stops, once a time between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. is
reached. With the periodic sequence "noon - midnight - noon -
midnight - ..." this end interval will /never/ be reached.
But when a random time is added, it should often be reached.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utne5v$jnh$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3582&group=comp.misc#3582

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 23 Mar 2024 20:30:55 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 20:30 UTC

Johanne Fairchild <jfairchild@tudado.org> wrote:
>I'm going to present something about the exact sciences to high-school
>students I never met. In the area of mathematics or computer science,
>what would be a nice short presentation? What is the computer about?

I'd get even more fundamental and explain what a computer actually is,
because most people seem to have no actual idea.

I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,
and they had no idea what I was talking about. It turned out the whole
notion of fetch/decode/execute/store had never been explained to them
and they didn't really know what a computer was.

It is best to nip this in the bud, hopefully in middle school, but
high school is better than nothing.

Once you do that you can talk about what to use it for.
--scott

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<computer-20240323220728@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3583&group=comp.misc#3583

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 23 Mar 2024 21:08:01 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 21:08 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
>I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
>system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,

What is a computer?

Is this your own definition, or did you quote it from someone else?

Are there any other definitions?

How do you know which definition to choose as the correct one?

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<878r28lfp4.fsf@tudado.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3584&group=comp.misc#3584

From: jfairch...@tudado.org (Johanne Fairchild)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:57:11 -0300
sha1:Nr867WINy+rp04IyZ3xce9PQX+E=
 by: Johanne Fairchild - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:57 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
>>I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
>>system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,
>
> What is a computer?
>
> Is this your own definition, or did you quote it from someone else?
>
> Are there any other definitions?
>
> How do you know which definition to choose as the correct one?

Great questions.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<uto0rb$eh9$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3585&group=comp.misc#3585

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 24 Mar 2024 01:49:31 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 01:49 UTC

Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
>>I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
>>system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,
>
> What is a computer?

It's a finite automaton.

> Is this your own definition, or did you quote it from someone else?

I like to quote from Andrew Tennanbaum's book on the subject.

> Are there any other definitions?

I suppose there are, since there are people whose job title is "computer"
and we do have devices like the B-29 fire control computer which compute
but are not actually finite automata.

Our computer security people wanted us to put encryption software on E-6B
slide rules because they were on the inventory as "portable computers."

> How do you know which definition to choose as the correct one?

I think in the 21st century, everyone assumes a computer to be a finite
automaton or something mathematically equivalent. That is, turing-machine-
equivalent except for having a finite length tape.
--scott

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<computer-20240324120325@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3586&group=comp.misc#3586

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 24 Mar 2024 11:06:29 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 11:06 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
>Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
>>>I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
>>>system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,
>>What is a computer?
>It's a finite automaton.
>>Is this your own definition, or did you quote it from someone else?
>I like to quote from Andrew Tennanbaum's book on the subject.
>>Are there any other definitions?
>I suppose there are, since there are people whose job title is "computer"
>and we do have devices like the B-29 fire control computer which compute
>but are not actually finite automata.
>Our computer security people wanted us to put encryption software on E-6B
>slide rules because they were on the inventory as "portable computers."
>>How do you know which definition to choose as the correct one?
>I think in the 21st century, everyone assumes a computer to be a finite
>automaton or something mathematically equivalent. That is, turing-machine-
>equivalent except for having a finite length tape.

Thanks for answering my questions!

I couldn't find a definition from Tanenbaum on the question that
includes the word "automaton", but here's a quotation from Tanenbaum:

|A digital computer is a machine that can do work for people
|by carrying out instructions given to it.
"Structured Computer Organization", Tanenbaum and Austin 2012.

In science, a writer is free to define terms as seen fit
usually given the meaning in his work. Here's an example,

|For the purposes of this paper, we can define a computer as
|any machine equivalent to a Turing machine.
"A Critique of Pure Computation: Against Strong AI and
Computationalism", Causey (2022?).

Some people having read such sentences forget about "For the
purposes of this paper, we can define" and only remember,
"a computer [i]s any machine equivalent to a Turing machine"!

I asked a chatbot,

|Is there a name for the fallacy that a word must have the
|meaning in general English that it has in some scientific
|terminology?
me (Stefan Ram) asking a chatbot (2024),

he answered:

|Based on the search results, there does not appear to be a
|specific named fallacy for the assumption that a word must
|have the same meaning in general English as it does in some
|scientific terminology. However, this type of fallacy could
|be considered a form of the referential fallacy.
| |The referential fallacy is described as "assuming that all
|words refer to existing things and that the meaning of words
|resides within the words themselves, as opposed to words
|possibly referring to no real object or that the meaning
|comes from how they are used."
| |In the case of a word having a different meaning in
|scientific vs. general usage, the fallacy would be assuming
|that the scientific meaning is the only valid or "real"
|meaning of the word, rather than recognizing that the meaning
|can vary depending on the context. This is a flawed
|assumption about the nature of language and meaning.
| what the chatbot answered (2024).

. FWIW, here I have gathered some definitions:

|computer
| |A functional unit that can perform substantial computations,
|including numerous arithmetic operations and logic operations
|without human intervention.
| ISO/IEC 2382-1:1993: Information technology -- Vocabulary --
Part 1: Fundamental terms

|computer n. 1. A device that computes, especially a
|programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed
|mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores,
|correlates, or otherwise processes information. 2. One who
|computes. — n. attributive. Often used to modify another
|noun: computer programming; computer software.
an English dictionary

|A computer is a machine that can be programmed to
|automatically carry out sequences of arithmetic or logical
|operations (computation).
a Web encyclopedia

|Computer: A data processor
"The Art of Computer Programming", Donald Knuth 1969

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utpll1$db1$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3587&group=comp.misc#3587

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 24 Mar 2024 16:50:41 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I couldn't find a definition from Tanenbaum on the question that
> includes the word "automaton", but here's a quotation from Tanenbaum:

The definition I was thinking of was the mathematical one, and you don't
really want to give it to high school students. Your best bet is probably
to define it by example... showing a computer with a handful of instructions
and how it pulls an instruction pointed to by the program counter from memory,
decodes that instruction (and you can show a code card with the instruction
set), executes it, and then goes on to the next instruction.

When I was a student everybody liked to use the PDP-8 for this since it
only has seven instructions. Personally I like to use the 8051 since
although it's more complex, they are in keyboards and microwave ovens and
all kinds of different places where people don't expect computers to be.
You could use a PIC too if you liked.

You could talk about turing machines and turing equivalence but it would
take so much handwaving to do it in such a short time that it wouldn't be
worth the trouble to my mind.

>|For the purposes of this paper, we can define a computer as
>|any machine equivalent to a Turing machine.
>"A Critique of Pure Computation: Against Strong AI and
>Computationalism", Causey (2022?).

Right, but once you do this, then you have to explain a Turing machine and
that's harder than explaining a simple computer. Yes, we did see how to
factor a number with a Turing machine in college because gus baird was that
kind of guy, but this is not something to talk about in a one-hour school
lecture.

It's a turing machine, it's a pushdown automaton, it's a conventional
computer... no need to go through the proofs.

The cool thing is that the combination of conditionals and branches allow
you to "make decisions" and this is what makes algorithms possible. A
machine that just went down a tape executing instructions one at a time
until the tape ended might be useful, but far less useful than a real
computer.

This is easiest to show by example.

The computer is just a box of nand gates, and yet it can do all this
fantastic stuff. But it's really just nand gates inside there. Isn't
that great?

I could do everything with a single instruction and no decoding too.
Or with a stack-based machine. Or with a VLIW machine. But they all
can be made to do the exact same thing in the end and they all can be
made from boxes of nand gates.
--scott

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<Q9P3eLBZy7cnWdcu5@bongo-ra.co>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3588&group=comp.misc#3588

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:25:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:25 UTC

On 24 Mar 2024 01:49:31 -0000
kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote or quoted:
> >>I explained to the CIO of a large government agency that a particular
> >>system wasn't a computer at all because it wasn't a finite automaton,

You don't say what the context of the discussion was but I assume that some
practical issue was concerned. I can't think of a practical situation where
the most useful reply is around the lines of whether the system involved is a
computer or a finite automaton.

> > What is a computer?
>
> It's a finite automaton.
>
> > Is this your own definition, or did you quote it from someone else?
>
> I like to quote from Andrew Tennanbaum's book on the subject.
>
> > Are there any other definitions?
>
> I suppose there are, since there are people whose job title is "computer"
> and we do have devices like the B-29 fire control computer which compute
> but are not actually finite automata.
>
> Our computer security people wanted us to put encryption software on E-6B
> slide rules because they were on the inventory as "portable computers."

Is this the same thing as the CIO discussion you mention above or something
else ? Anyway , if someone wanted to install any kind of software on slide
rules and they didn't know that "portable computers" in this context refers
to slide rules , I would point out to them that it does. If they did know that
slide rules were involved and they seriously wanted to install software on
them , I would be at a loss for words.

By the way , I hadn't heard of E-6B .Cool thing.

> > How do you know which definition to choose as the correct one?
>
> I think in the 21st century, everyone assumes a computer to be a finite
> automaton or something mathematically equivalent. That is, turing-machine-
> equivalent except for having a finite length tape.

I don't know who "everyone" is. I don't think that most people or even most
IT professionals bother to think of a general definition for "computer".
Ultimately the question is philosophical. Is the human mind a computer ? Is
the whole universe a computer ? I only think of "finite automaton" or "Turing
machine" in connection with mathematical theorems. For practical computing
purposes I don't think they are useful terms.

--
vlaho.ninja/menu

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utppi5$pq8$1@panix2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=comp.misc#3589

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: 24 Mar 2024 17:57:25 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:57 UTC

In article <Q9P3eLBZy7cnWdcu5@bongo-ra.co>,
Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 24 Mar 2024 01:49:31 -0000
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>You don't say what the context of the discussion was but I assume that some
>practical issue was concerned. I can't think of a practical situation where
>the most useful reply is around the lines of whether the system involved is a
>computer or a finite automaton.

In this case it was about whether quantum computers had to run the mandatory
IT department monitoring software. I maintained that since quantum computers
like analogue computers aren't really "computers" and can't run software as
we think of it, that this would be impossible.

>> Our computer security people wanted us to put encryption software on E-6B
>> slide rules because they were on the inventory as "portable computers."
>
>Is this the same thing as the CIO discussion you mention above or something
>else ? Anyway , if someone wanted to install any kind of software on slide
>rules and they didn't know that "portable computers" in this context refers
>to slide rules , I would point out to them that it does. If they did know that
>slide rules were involved and they seriously wanted to install software on
>them , I would be at a loss for words.

We had to destroy the E-6Bs because the rules say that computers have to
have whole-disk encryption and the E-6B could not support whole-disk
encryption.

We also had to get rid of a bunch of computers that did not have disks
and could not boot off disk, because such machines could not support
whole-disk encryption.

Because it is important to follow the rules. The security people did not
care about whether the system was secure or not because it was not their
job to do so. It was their job to enforce the rules.

>I don't know who "everyone" is. I don't think that most people or even most
>IT professionals bother to think of a general definition for "computer".
>Ultimately the question is philosophical. Is the human mind a computer ? Is
>the whole universe a computer ? I only think of "finite automaton" or "Turing
>machine" in connection with mathematical theorems. For practical computing
>purposes I don't think they are useful terms.

What is a computer and what is not a computer? A rock is not a computer,
a lawnmower is not a computer. If you ask kids, they all know what is a
computer and what is not a computer but they cannot define it and they do
not know why a computer is a computer. Sometimes they get confused on what
appear to be edge cases like cellphones.

Is the human mind a computer? That question then devolves down to "can the
human mind be emulated as a finite automaton?" because it is provable that
the human mind can emulate a finite automaton (in at least the case of
at least half the students I ask to trace through some code). The answer
to this question is worth a Nobel prize at least, and possibly a Turing
award as well.
--scott

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utpus6$hs4a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=comp.misc#3590

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:28:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:28 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... Anyway , if someone wanted to install any kind of software on slide
> rules and they didn't know that "portable computers" in this context refers
> to slide rules , I would point out to them that it does.

Or, don't point anything out. Instead hand them a box filled with
slide rules and tell them to go right ahead and /install/ all the
software they want onto them.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utpv4t$hs4a$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3591&group=comp.misc#3591

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:32:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:32 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <Q9P3eLBZy7cnWdcu5@bongo-ra.co>,
> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Is this the same thing as the CIO discussion you mention above or
>>something else ? Anyway , if someone wanted to install any kind of
>>software on slide rules and they didn't know that "portable
>>computers" in this context refers to slide rules , I would point out
>>to them that it does. If they did know that slide rules were
>>involved and they seriously wanted to install software on them , I
>>would be at a loss for words.
>
> We had to destroy the E-6Bs because the rules say that computers have
> to have whole-disk encryption and the E-6B could not support
> whole-disk encryption.

Ah, what I've referred to as "check box security" for quite some time
now.

> We also had to get rid of a bunch of computers that did not have
> disks and could not boot off disk, because such machines could not
> support whole-disk encryption.
>
> Because it is important to follow the rules. The security people did not
> care about whether the system was secure or not because it was not their
> job to do so. It was their job to enforce the rules.

Well, in a way yes, but their way of "enforcing" them is to have a
multi-page form full of check boxes and labels. And if they can put a
check in each box next to a given label (such as "whole disk
encrypted") then they have "secured" the system.

I.e., "check box security".

The security folks don't know security from a hole in the ground, and
could not "secure" a master lock if they had the key, but they can
"check the boxes" on their standard "security compliance forms" -- and
if all the boxes get checked for "thing X", then "thing X" must be
"secure".

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<utvk21$2d7ru$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3609&group=comp.misc#3609

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:00:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:00 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:57:09 -0300, Johanne Fairchild wrote:

> What is the computer about?

The computer is the “universal machine”. On its own, it doesn’t do very
much: you have to write programs to tell it what to do. Those programs can
make it solve any problem for which you can write down the rules of the
solution--particularly if the rules are so long and complex that no human
being would have a hope of being able to carry them out manually.

So the computer is about automation of tasks. Nowadays, most people do
things on computers through point-and-click (or point-and-tap) GUIs. Those
are great for performing canned tasks, that have already been
preprogrammed into the app. They are not so good for automating more
complex sequences built out of those canned tasks. That’s where concepts
like “scripting” and the “command line” come in.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<ENqxM4FYJ40xABpps@bongo-ra.co>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3611&group=comp.misc#3611

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:37:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:37 UTC

On 2024-03-24 Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
> I only think of "finite automaton" or "Turing
> machine" in connection with mathematical theorems. For practical computing
> purposes I don't think they are useful terms.

Correction : finite automata are useful for implementing regular expression
engines.

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<20240327163324.ddacc4d05579841353a2a0a7@g{oogle}mail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3612&group=comp.misc#3612

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:33:24 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:33 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras:

> Correction : finite automata are useful for implementing
> regular expression engines.

Yes, and regular expressions are one of their many
applications:

<https://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html>
<https://vt100.net/emu/dec_ansi_parser>

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: high-school presentation, suggestions?

<uu1bn3$2taf7$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3618&group=comp.misc#3618

From: candycan...@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:50:11 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:50 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote at 23:00 this Tuesday (GMT):
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:57:09 -0300, Johanne Fairchild wrote:
>
>> What is the computer about?
>
> The computer is the “universal machine”. On its own, it doesn’t do very
> much: you have to write programs to tell it what to do. Those programs can
> make it solve any problem for which you can write down the rules of the
> solution--particularly if the rules are so long and complex that no human
> being would have a hope of being able to carry them out manually.
>
> So the computer is about automation of tasks. Nowadays, most people do
> things on computers through point-and-click (or point-and-tap) GUIs. Those
> are great for performing canned tasks, that have already been
> preprogrammed into the app. They are not so good for automating more
> complex sequences built out of those canned tasks. That’s where concepts
> like “scripting” and the “command line” come in.

And that's why bash (and theoretically BAT) scripts are so powerful,
since it can range from just running a series of commands to complex
conditionals and piping and such.