It's hard to think of you as the end result of millions of years of evolution.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVED

SubjectAuthor
* pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
|+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
||+- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
||`* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
|| `* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
||  `* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
||   `* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
||    `- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
|`- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryThe Real Bev
|`- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
+- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryMartin Schöön
+- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryDavid Taylor
+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryBodger
|+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungrysms
||+* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
|||`- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
||+- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryBodger
||`* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burns
|| `* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungrysms
||  `- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungryAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungrysms
`* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVEDAndy Burns
 +* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVEDDavid Taylor
 |`- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVEDAndy Burns
 `* Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVEDAndy Burnelli
  `- Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVEDAndy Burns

Pages:12
Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVED

<tnft77$1r87$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35667&group=comp.mobile.android#35667

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVED
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 19:40:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 19:40 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> The December firmware update has reversed the problem, also improved the battery
> history display (before it wouldn't show more than 24 hours history, now it
> breaks down several days into 2 hour slots)

Hi Andy,

This won't help you much (I don't think), but I post it to "possibly" help
you obtain the battery statistics that you "might" be able to make use of.

I don't have a pixel and for whatever reason I don't see the original post,
at the moment (I added a lot of people to my killfiles recently though),
but just as an additional set of datapoints, I've been running these three
battery-analysis apps, which I admit I don't really need but here's what
they seem to show after a few days of running in the background (I guess).

Note that the Better Battery Stats options "appear" to be comprehensive:
<https://i.postimg.cc/90nTDZTV/battery11.jpg> BetterBatteryStats graphs
<https://i.postimg.cc/T1p5v1ss/battery12.jpg> BBS actions by percentage
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZKXpZP4x/battery13.jpg> BBS comprehensive settings
<https://i.postimg.cc/kXSDQ0PW/battery14.jpg> Some BBS settings options
<https://i.postimg.cc/RCyNnMyM/battery15.jpg> More BBS settings options
<https://i.postimg.cc/fLW05BfD/battery16.jpg> Even more BBS options

Those are in addition to the "normal" battery stats on Android (AFAIK):
<https://i.postimg.cc/8Cm6hqWZ/battery07.jpg> Android 12 battery stats
<https://i.postimg.cc/kGz6J93g/battery08.jpg> Android Battery Dog watchdog
<https://i.postimg.cc/SsZYPCg8/battery09.jpg> BatteryBotPro options
<https://i.postimg.cc/vZRgCQtP/battery10.jpg> BatteryBotPro statistics

My only point in posting this is that "maybe" the BBS apps I tested above
will provide you the options you need to obtain the debug data you want...
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to add additional useful information for the team.

Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVED

<k01gl3FedanU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35668&group=comp.mobile.android#35668

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:07:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:07 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I don't have a pixel and for whatever reason I don't see the original post

It was about a month ago, it took me a few days after the november upgrade to
realise things were worse, and then report it here.

> Note that the Better Battery Stats options "appear" to be comprehensive:

Very, and you probably mentioned it at the time. My slight worry when throwing
that amount of background logging at a battery-eating issue is how much the
logging itself eats extra battery?

Anyway, I managed for a month, by disabling a couple of features I didn't
particularly need, that made the battery life live-with-able.

> Android 12 battery stats

Until Android 12, pixels displayed a battery graph similar to your "normal" one,
and could stretch back in time longer than 24 hours in a single graph (I could
get 14 days out of an old phone with all radios off, but that's not much of a
phone) since Android 13, it would only go back a maximum of 24 hours.

I guess Google found this wasn't long enough to debug whatever the power-hungry
problem was, so the built-in history got improved ... the top graph is granular
to a day, and the bottom graph is granular to 2 hour windows within the selected
day, for each time window, you can drill down and see which apps or phone
features (wifi, 3/4/5G-data, calls, screen, bluetooth, etc) were eating what
percentage of battery.

Re: pixel suddenly *very* battery hungry RESOLVED

<k1j8snF4hd1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35865&group=comp.mobile.android#35865

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:01:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:01 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Can't say for sure whether it started with the most recent monthly firmware
>>> upgrade, but my Pixel5a used to give me 3+ days on a charge, now it's dead in
>>> less than 1 day
>
> The December firmware update has reversed the problem

Light usage before/after new year, proved the standby battery life is at least
as good as before, the phone ran for 128 hours straight on a full charge, which
took it down to 5% remaining, estimated as 4 hours, that was with a mere 20
minutes of calls.