Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 13:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Apple II Power Supply - magic smoke all gone
From: mspang...@ifiber.tv (Mike Spangler)
 by: Mike Spangler - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 20:23 UTC

The same thing happened to me last spring. The rectangular box in question probably says RIFA on it. I bought replacements from Ebay. Not all power supplies use the same value of capacitors though. So it's best to look first and then buy.

You shouldn't have to drill out anything to get the power supply open. Although one model had 10 screws holding the case together. Another used none, or maybe two. The cover was mostly snap together. I found three or four different models in my collection. And every RIFA in the set was cracked and bulging. There were some blue ones with a German sounding name that were also not so good, but the were in better shape than the RIFA versions.

Four screws to get the PS out of the case, 10 screws to get the cover off the PS, and then another four to get the circuit board out for repairs. It was an exercise in fasteners. The hardest part is the strain relief on the power cable to the logic board. Turn 90 degrees and wiggle.

Re: Apple II Power Supply - magic smoke all gone

<7bqdne-pyJN2vo_8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=comp.sys.apple2#3596

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
From: mjma...@aol.com (Michael J. Mahon)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 01:59:55 -0500
 by: Michael J. Mahon - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 06:59 UTC

Mike Spangler <mspangler@ifiber.tv> wrote:
> The same thing happened to me last spring. The rectangular box in
> question probably says RIFA on it. I bought replacements from Ebay. Not
> all power supplies use the same value of capacitors though. So it's best
> to look first and then buy.
>
> You shouldn't have to drill out anything to get the power supply open.
> Although one model had 10 screws holding the case together. Another used
> none, or maybe two. The cover was mostly snap together. I found three or
> four different models in my collection. And every RIFA in the set was
> cracked and bulging. There were some blue ones with a German sounding
> name that were also not so good, but the were in better shape than the RIFA versions.
>
> Four screws to get the PS out of the case, 10 screws to get the cover off
> the PS, and then another four to get the circuit board out for repairs.
> It was an exercise in fasteners. The hardest part is the strain relief on
> the power cable to the logic board. Turn 90 degrees and wiggle.

My usual approach is to use pliers to carefully squeeze the small side of
the strain relief, compressing the wire bundle slightly, then slip the
small end through the hole in the case.

These plastic strain reliefs have been around for decades, and IIRC were
originated by Heyco.

They can be easily reinserted by putting the two parts together over the
wire bundle, carefully aligning them with the original “bump” in the wires,
then squeezing again, this time from the larger end, and pressing it into
the hole in the case until it snaps/locks.