Why use Windows, since there is a door? (By fachat@galileo.rhein-neckar.de, Andre Fachat)

computers / comp.misc / Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

SubjectAuthor
* Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speD. Ray
`* Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineRich
 `* Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineGovernor Swill
  `* Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineThe Real Bev
   `* Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineSiri Cruise
    `* Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineSn!pe
     `- Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' onlineSiri Cruise

1
Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<pWlygrZsnyfVdLfKDaZSiWVxOIdHgKqM@news.usenet.farm>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3577&group=comp.misc#3577

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 24 00:56:21 UTC
From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,comp.misc
Subject: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens
 by: D. Ray - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:56 UTC

The Supreme Court heard arguments in the Murthy v. Missouri case, in which
the attorney general from Missouri brought a case claiming that the Biden
administration violated the First Amendment in colluding with social media
platforms to suppress and censor Americans' speech on social media
platforms.

The focus of the questioning by the justices was on the definition of
coercion and the standing of Missouri having brought the case.

For Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, however, the key element was that in
certain, heightened conditions, the government should have the right to
suppress speech.

"My biggest concern is that your view is that you have the First Amendment
hamstringing the government in significant ways in the most important time
periods. I mean, what would you have the government do? " Jackson asked.

"I've heard you say a couple of times that the government can post its own
speech, but in my hypothetical, 'kids this is not safe, don't do it,' is
not gonna get it done," she continued.

"So I guess, some might say that the government actually has a duty to take
steps to protect the citizens of this country and you seem to be suggesting
that that duty cannot manifest itself in the government encouraging, or
even pressuring platforms to take down harmful information."

Jackson said she was "really worried about that."

In her view, the government can use a crisis or other major event to
suppress the free speech of Americans when the government deems that it
would be unsafe for citizens. This is an argument that was made by the
Biden administration each time the public learned of their efforts to
suppress online speech that went against their narrative, from Covid to
Hunter Biden's laptop to the outcome of the 2020 election.

Attorney for the government Brian Fletcher claimed that the government can
use their influence to persuade private parties to take action in a lawful
way, and claimed that government officials telling social media companies
that their algorithms are harmful falls under that category.

He argued that the government is able to use the "bully pulpit" to
encourage ideas to be elevated or suppressed.
Questions arose as to the imminent threat of harm, and if the plaintiffs
could prove they had standing to bring the case at all.
Benjamin Aguiñaga for Missouri said that the government set out to suppress
speech and that the government can't do indirectly what the government is
prevented from doing directly.

Aguiñaga spoke about the nature of the communication between government and
social media platforms, saying that the government's behavior in
undertaking their task, behind closed doors and as quietly as possible,
indicates that they knew they were engaging in censorship.
Sotomayor had an issue with the evidence itself, saying "I have such a
problem with your brief, counselor. You omit information that changes the
context of some of your claims. You attribute things to people who it
didn’t happen to — at least in one of the defendants, it was her brother
that something happened to, not her. I don’t know what to make of all this
because I am not sure how we get to prove direct injury in any way."

The case, per former Missouri AG Andrew Bailey who brought the suit,
exposed the deep censorship that went on between the Biden administration
and social media platforms that directly censored Americans online.

After he brought the case, a lower court put an injunction on the Biden
administration and told them they were no longer permitted to have
communication with social media companies. The Biden admin asked the
Supreme Court for an emergency ruling against that, which was given, and
the case made its way to the court.

<https://thepostmillennial.com/justice-ketanji-jackson-justifies-government-censorship-of-americans-online-speech-by-invoking-duty-to-protect-citizens>

<https://archive.ph/zBjRL>

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<utld6t$3921s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3578&group=comp.misc#3578

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:02:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:02 UTC

In comp.misc D. Ray <d@ray> wrote:
Plonk

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<ro8tvi9j7hqb5vu92ln713d3oasl2r5ajd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3580&group=comp.misc#3580

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 05:38:48 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:38 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:02:05 -0000 (UTC), Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:

>In comp.misc D. Ray <d@ray> wrote:
>Plonk

That time again, eh?

Swill
--
"Eventually he turns on everyone, and soon it will be you and then the entire country."
- Anthony Scaramucci

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<utq779$jujn$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3593&group=comp.misc#3593

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of
Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:50:33 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 21:50 UTC

On 3/23/24 2:38 AM, Governor Swill wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:02:05 -0000 (UTC), Rich <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In comp.misc D. Ray <d@ray> wrote:
>>Plonk
>
> That time again, eh?

Is it September already?

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<utqsrf$s8l0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=comp.misc#3594

From: chine.b...@www.yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.censorship,alt.politics,comp.misc
Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:59:43 -0700
 by: Siri Cruise - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 03:59 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 3/23/24 2:38 AM, Governor Swill wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:02:05 -0000 (UTC), Rich
>> <rich@example.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.misc D. Ray <d@ray> wrote:
>>> Plonk
>>
>> That time again, eh?
>
> Is it September already?

It's always September. Forever. Eternally.

--
Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. @
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<1qqz416.1ess2f4yx5uyxN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3597&group=comp.misc#3597

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 11:42:18 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 11:42 UTC

[a.f.r-l & c.m only]

Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> >> That time again, eh?
> >
> > Is it September already?
>
> It's always September. Forever. Eternally.

It might as well rain.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon has full confidence in our political masters.

Re: Justice Ketanji Jackson justifies government censorship of Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens

<utrpjc$12rv6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3598&group=comp.misc#3598

From: chine.b...@www.yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,comp.misc
Americans' online speech by invoking 'duty' to 'protect' citizens
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 05:10:17 -0700
 by: Siri Cruise - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:10 UTC

Sn!pe wrote:
> [a.f.r-l & c.m only]
>
> Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Is it September already?
>>
>> It's always September. Forever. Eternally.
>
> It might as well rain.

It can't always rain.
~~ Eric Draven