From: malassim...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: California Passes Law to Protect Children's Data Online [telecom]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:22:05 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:22 UTC

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

California Governor Gavin Newsom signed the California Age-Appropriate
Design Code Act (the Act) into law last week. This new law will
require those online service providers likely to be accessed by
children under 18 years old to comply with heightened privacy
requirements, including incorporating privacy-by-default and
privacy-by-design into their products. The 18-year age threshold for
defining a child online is several years higher than the federal
standard set by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which
protects data collected from online users under 13. The bulk of the
new bill requires online service providers to complete a Data
Protection Impact Assessment for any online service, product, or
feature likely to be accessed by children. The bill additionally
prohibits businesses from using children's data for any purpose other
than the reason for which it was originally collected and requires
them to prioritize children's well-being over business considerations.

https://tinyurl.com/28txzs4z

Re: California Passes Law to Protect Children's Data Online [telecom]

<s5IZK.524896$Ny99.170570@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3598&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3598

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 30 Sep 2022 16:13:18 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Michael Trew - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:13 UTC

On 9/27/2022 22:22, Bill Horne wrote:
> The 18-year age threshold for
> defining a child online is several years higher than the federal
> standard set by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which
> protects data collected from online users under 13. The bulk of the
> new bill requires online service providers to complete a Data
> Protection Impact Assessment for any online service, product, or
> feature likely to be accessed by children.

The trouble is that children lie about their age for on-line services,
and parents usually don't monitor what they are doing... at least, they
don't monitor them well enough. I have first hand experience; now at 27
years old, I'm well aware of what myself, siblings and peers did on-line
from circa 2005-2012 (10 to 17 years old).