"Indecision is the basis of flexibility" -- button at a Science Fiction convention.

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

SubjectAuthor
* Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsChris
+* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsTweed
|+- Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsDavey
|`* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsChris
| `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsJMB99
|  `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAlan Browne
|   `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsHank Rogers
|    `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAlan Browne
|     `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAnt
|      `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAlan Browne
|       `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsSpike
|        `- Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAlan Browne
`* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsAlan Browne
 +* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.Tgrinch
 |+- Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.TAndy Burns
 |`- Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.TAlan Browne
 `* Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsChris
  `- Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotelsHank Rogers

1
Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvam07$27fmj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3582&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3582

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 06:57:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7Cqh5EP5CJpztI9RqLv0VRFbGYw=
 by: Chris - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 06:57 UTC

When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.

A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.

What are people's real world experiences, please?

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvapcb$285vn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3583&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3583

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 07:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:t6YbPe0XDVKS3VeQNuos/+U/kf4=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 07:54 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
> the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
> an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
>
> A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
> chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
> recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
> faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
>
> What are people's real world experiences, please?

iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty. The problem with all
these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the same subnet
as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the device and
frequently firewall devices from each other. The other difficulty is you
need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the ability to switch
signal source. This may not always be possible.

A Firestick and an Apple TV can operate independently, but you’ve still got
the issues of logging it in to the hotel network. I find many of these
hotel captive portals to be barely functional at the best of times.

Perhaps an hdmi adapter dongle for the iPad and a physical hdmi cable is
the most likely thing to work?

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvat3a$28qb0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3584&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3584

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:58:18 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 08:58 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 07:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty. The problem with
> all these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the
> same subnet as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the
> device and frequently firewall devices from each other. The other
> difficulty is you need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the
> ability to switch signal source. This may not always be possible.

Maybe buy a One-for-All remote control, make sure you have the coding
instructions with you, and see if you can control the hotel's TV set.
Maybe, maybe not. Most ones that I have experienced have very limited
functionality with the provided remote controls. Some have a
limited 'Guest' mode that can only be unlocked with the correct
service remote control device.

But anything is worth a try!

Gone are the days of simply plugging your X-Box into the back of the
set. I once unplugged the cable, for some reason unrelated, and the
'phone rang, with the front desk staff asking me why the TV was
unplugged, they thought I was stealing it. This was back in 1991, in
Kansas City.

--
Davey.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvb0jb$29muk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3585&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3585

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:58:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cI2USA9bs8RhZCKD8ZYzvBVDjrQ=
 by: Chris - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:58 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
>> the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
>> an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
>>
>> A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
>> chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
>> recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
>> faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
>>
>> What are people's real world experiences, please?
>>

> iPads cast to Chromecast devices without difficulty.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> The problem with all
> these devices that depend on casting is they need to be on the same subnet
> as the iPad. Often hotel systems require logins from the device and
> frequently firewall devices from each other. The other difficulty is you
> need access to an HDMI port on the hotel TV and the ability to switch
> signal source. This may not always be possible.

Yeah hotel provision of wifi and TVs is a real hotch-potch but am happy if
it works only some of the time.

> A Firestick and an Apple TV can operate independently, but you’ve still got
> the issues of logging it in to the hotel network. I find many of these
> hotel captive portals to be barely functional at the best of times.
>
> Perhaps an hdmi adapter dongle for the iPad and a physical hdmi cable is
> the most likely thing to work?

I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvb370$2a3su$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3586&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3586

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:42:40 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 10:42 UTC

On 12/04/2024 10:58, Chris wrote:
> I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.

You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save a
couple of ounces in their rucksack!

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<bHhSN.627124$Ama9.581327@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3587&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3587

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:27:35 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:27 UTC

On 2024-04-12 02:57, Chris wrote:

> When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
> the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
> an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
>
> A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
> chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
> recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
> faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
>
> What are people's real world experiences, please?

If it isn't free on the hotel TV I don't watch it.

If I were on a long trip with several days at a time in one hotel, I
might carry along an Apple TV and movies on my iPhone or laptop. But
haven't to date. There's usually something better to do. (Read).

If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:

- access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).

- they might think you were password sharing and bill you.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<sIhSN.627125$Ama9.190006@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3588&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3588

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:28:55 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:28 UTC

On 2024-04-12 06:42, JMB99 wrote:
> On 12/04/2024 10:58, Chris wrote:
>> I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
>

> You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save a
> couple of ounces in their rucksack!

Serious hikers certainly do.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvcadu$2j0lh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3589

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:51:59 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:51 UTC

Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-04-12 06:42, JMB99 wrote:
>> On 12/04/2024 10:58, Chris wrote:
>>> I'd rather avoid packing yet another cable, but will consider it.
>>

>> You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save a
>> couple of ounces in their rucksack!
>
> Serious hikers certainly do.

How much does an iphone weigh?

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<UiiSN.237146$zF_1.103951@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3590

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:09:56 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:09 UTC

On 2024-04-12 17:51, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>>>

>>> You sound like one of the backpackers who go to great lengths to save
>>> a couple of ounces in their rucksack!
>>
>> Serious hikers certainly do.
>>

> How much does an iphone weigh?

Left back in the car a serious hiker doesn't care. But, if brought along:

About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
your burden if out for more than 2 days.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.T

<uve9l6$32r5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3592&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3592

From: gri...@sommewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.T
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:51:02 +0100
 by: grinch - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:51 UTC

> If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:
>
> - access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
> Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
>
> - they might think you were password sharing and bill you.

Last year I used my UK Netflix account in France on a French IP with no
issues.

It says in the Netflix T and C's you can do this, but for no more than
30 consecutive days and assuming most of you use is in your country of
origin.

Trying to connect to www.google.co.uk from a French IP is entertaining
but it works.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.T

<l7vs1mF61sgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3593&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3593

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:00:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:00 UTC

grinch wrote:

> Trying to connect to www.google.co.uk from a French IP is entertaining
> but it works.

Using <https://google.co.uk/ncr>
should help, ncr = no country redirect.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uveh6i$34f6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3594&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3594

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3tba5g2NdghfdkDYrsjIZ2AuGtw=
 by: Chris - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:59 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-12 02:57, Chris wrote:
>>
>> When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
>> the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
>> an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
>>
>> A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
>> chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
>> recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
>> faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
>>
>> What are people's real world experiences, please?
>
> If it isn't free on the hotel TV I don't watch it.
>
> If I were on a long trip with several days at a time in one hotel, I
> might carry along an Apple TV and movies on my iPhone or laptop. But
> haven't to date. There's usually something better to do. (Read).

That's also an option :)

> If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:
>
> - access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
> Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
>
> - they might think you were password sharing and bill you.

Not that had that issue here in multiple countries. The only thing I had a
couple of years ago was a show not being available in a particular country
due to licensing restrictions. A VPN fixed that.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<uvf0nd$37r3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3595&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3595

From: Han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:24:40 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:24 UTC

Chris wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> On 2024-04-12 02:57, Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> When travelling it'd be nice to be able to watch my netflix or player on
>>> the hotel's/accommodation's TV. What do people recommend? I usually carry
>>> an ipad/iphone with me and I travel mainly in the UK and europe.
>>>
>>> A bit of searching suggests there's only three or four options options:
>>> chromecast, fire stick, roku, Apple TV. With Apple TV the only one
>>> recommended for iOS. Is that really the best option? Sounds like a major
>>> faff. I travel light so a single would be ideal.
>>>
>>> What are people's real world experiences, please?
>>
>> If it isn't free on the hotel TV I don't watch it.
>>
>> If I were on a long trip with several days at a time in one hotel, I
>> might carry along an Apple TV and movies on my iPhone or laptop. But
>> haven't to date. There's usually something better to do. (Read).
>
> That's also an option :)
>
>> If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:
>>
>> - access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this unless
>> Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
>>
>> - they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
>
> Not that had that issue here in multiple countries. The only thing I had a
> couple of years ago was a show not being available in a particular country
> due to licensing restrictions. A VPN fixed that.

You can easily avoid all these problems. Just never book a room at any
hotel that does not provide apple TVs. It isn't worth it.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<zjednUMge4TCuIb7nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3596&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3596

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:37:51 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 00:37 UTC

In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
> Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
> your burden if out for more than 2 days.

Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.
--
"I can do everything through him [Christ] who gives me strength." --Philippians 4:13. I'm still weak! :(
| |o o| |

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels S.O.T

<qWQSN.21166$jC2.16861@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3597&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3597

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:33:10 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:33 UTC

On 2024-04-13 11:51, grinch wrote:

>> If you're out of country, then Netflix might be an issue:
>>
>> - access on your account in a different country (VPN can fix this
>> unless Netflix objects to that specific VPN provider).
>>
>> - they might think you were password sharing and bill you.
>>
> Last year I used my UK Netflix account in France on a French IP with no
> issues.
>
> It says in the Netflix T and C's you can do this, but for no more than
> 30 consecutive days and assuming most of you use is in your country of
> origin.
>
> Trying to connect to www.google.co.uk from a French IP is entertaining
> but it works.

Ah - good. I'll keep that in mind.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<3dRSN.793697$xHn7.393287@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3598&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3598

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:53:02 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:53 UTC

On 2024-04-13 20:37, Ant wrote:
> In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
>> Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
>> your burden if out for more than 2 days.
>
> Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.

I read that when hiking I won't find hot and cold running water and nice
clean porcelain toilets along the trail either.

When hiking one would not normally deplete the iPhone battery on a daily
basis. Or even close. If one is doing so, maybe they should re-think
their hiking goals.

Hiking panels (20 - 30W) run 600 - 700g. It's in that zone of "I'll
bring it if I _have_ to, not want to." Depending on rest time, you'd
probably be able to keep the battery up.

There are higher power portable panels - of course (shocking revelation
ahead) they are heavier and bulkier.

All that said, I've never brought a solar panel hiking - this summer
camping trip (drive in) I may acquire 100 or 200W of solar capacity - TBD.

--
“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.”
- Charles de Gaulle.

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<l8304lFkil4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3599&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3599

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 14 Apr 2024 21:28:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:28 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-04-13 20:37, Ant wrote:
>> In misc.phone.mobile.iphone Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>> About 175g - 200g or so. Given the functionality, that's quite light.
>>> Of course re-charging will be an issue - so add a small solar panel to
>>> your burden if out for more than 2 days.
>>
>> Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.
>

> I read that when hiking I won't find hot and cold running water and nice
> clean porcelain toilets along the trail either.
>
> When hiking one would not normally deplete the iPhone battery on a daily
> basis. Or even close. If one is doing so, maybe they should re-think
> their hiking goals.
>
> Hiking panels (20 - 30W) run 600 - 700g. It's in that zone of "I'll
> bring it if I _have_ to, not want to." Depending on rest time, you'd
> probably be able to keep the battery up.
>
> There are higher power portable panels - of course (shocking revelation
> ahead) they are heavier and bulkier.
>
> All that said, I've never brought a solar panel hiking - this summer
> camping trip (drive in) I may acquire 100 or 200W of solar capacity - TBD.

Soldiers backpacks on D-Day could weigh 70 to 100lbs…and that was before
they were soaked in sea-water.

Some paratroops equipment weighed 150lbs, if they were also carrying
base-plates, tubes, or ammunition for mortars, and they had to be shoved up
the ladder into their C-47s.

--
Spike

Re: Suggestions for suitable screen sharing when in hotels

<T6YSN.624145$PuZ9.366599@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3600&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3600

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:44:19 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:44 UTC

On 2024-04-14 17:28, Spike wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can those portable solar panels recharge iPhones fast though? I read that they don't.
>>

>> I read that when hiking I won't find hot and cold running water and nice
>> clean porcelain toilets along the trail either.
>>
>> When hiking one would not normally deplete the iPhone battery on a daily
>> basis. Or even close. If one is doing so, maybe they should re-think
>> their hiking goals.
>>
>> Hiking panels (20 - 30W) run 600 - 700g. It's in that zone of "I'll
>> bring it if I _have_ to, not want to." Depending on rest time, you'd
>> probably be able to keep the battery up.
>>
>> There are higher power portable panels - of course (shocking revelation
>> ahead) they are heavier and bulkier.
>>
>> All that said, I've never brought a solar panel hiking - this summer
>> camping trip (drive in) I may acquire 100 or 200W of solar capacity - TBD.
>
> Soldiers backpacks on D-Day could weigh 70 to 100lbs…and that was before
> they were soaked in sea-water.
>
> Some paratroops equipment weighed 150lbs, if they were also carrying
> base-plates, tubes, or ammunition for mortars, and they had to be shoved up
> the ladder into their C-47s.

Not sure how hiker=invasion soldier, but whatever ...