Real Users are afraid they'll break the machine -- but they're never afraid to break your face.

devel / comp.os.coherent / Re: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

SubjectAuthor
* How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the HostChip Ling
`* How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the HostUdo Munk
 `* How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the HostChip Ling
  +- How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the HostNils M Holm
  `- How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the HostUdo Munk

1
How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

<c43f26c7-2084-4c39-a13b-f59d7c8baadbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35&group=comp.os.coherent#35

Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host
From: s330chip...@gmail.com (Chip Ling)
 by: Chip Ling - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:05 UTC

I've downloaded Udo Munk's version of Coherent (which is a VirtualBox disk image file) and I'm able to start the Coherent VM under a Windows 10 host.

Then I followed Udo's instructions:
1. enable COM1 on the VirtualBox setting to tcp protocol port 4022
2. set up /etc/ttys with 1lPcom1l
3. append a line 'xterm com1l' in /etc/ttytype
4. yes, I can telnet from the windows host to the Coherent VM via putty or native windows' telnet command. (i.e. telnet localhost 4022)

Questions:
1. When connect from my windows host to Coherent VM via telnet, the system prompt echo twice. But the content does not. Is there a way to stop it.
2. vi is not working properly inside telnet session. vi did work very well in the VirtualBox console so I think I might have miss some telnet settings.
3. Does Udo's Coherent has the ftpd software installed so that I can start up the ftp server. I want to transfer file between my host and the VM.

Rgds,
Chip

Re: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

<874fcdfc-ebf0-4a1a-847c-dd98c987e58cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=36&group=comp.os.coherent#36

Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 03:20:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: udo.m...@freenet.de (Udo Munk)
 by: Udo Munk - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:20 UTC

Chip Ling schrieb am Samstag, 23. September 2023 um 18:05:15 UTC+2:
> Questions:
> 1. When connect from my windows host to Coherent VM via telnet, the system prompt echo twice. But the content does not. Is there a way to stop it.

By default putty sends CR and NL for the CR key. The tty driver converts CR to NL and then you have 2 NL for one keypress. Somewhere in the terminal settings you need to change behaviour for CR, so that it sends a single CR or LF.
> 2. vi is not working properly inside telnet session. vi did work very well in the VirtualBox console so I think I might have miss some telnet settings.

Not working properly is not a good explanation for a problem, so I can only guess a few things. The size of the
putty terminal is essendial, must be 80x24 or termcap/terminfo programs get confused. The xterm terminal
emulation in putty version you are using is not working properly, our you selected the wrong terminal emulation
in the settings. Instead of xterm you could try vt100 (/etc/ttytype), with the putty versions I tested xterm worked
best, but is a few years ago and I don't test all the new putty versions all the time.
> 3. Does Udo's Coherent has the ftpd software installed so that I can start up the ftp server. I want to transfer file between my host and the VM.

No, my VM's are based on original MWC distributions without any networking. For file transfers into the machine
I use serial protocols like kermit, xmodem and uucp.

Re: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

<0382232f-b457-4d8b-8e83-ea2a6adcf5bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=48&group=comp.os.coherent#48

Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:16:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: s330chip...@gmail.com (Chip Ling)
 by: Chip Ling - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 05:16 UTC

On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 6:20:17 AM UTC-4, Udo Munk wrote:
> Chip Ling schrieb am Samstag, 23. September 2023 um 18:05:15 UTC+2:
> > Questions:
> > 1. When connect from my windows host to Coherent VM via telnet, the system prompt echo twice. But the content does not. Is there a way to stop it.
> By default putty sends CR and NL for the CR key. The tty driver converts CR to NL and then you have 2 NL for one keypress. Somewhere in the terminal settings you need to change behaviour for CR, so that it sends a single CR or LF.

I play around Putty's configuration, here is the best result I got.

Putty ==> Line discipline options: ==> Local echo = Force off; Local line editing = Force off

Now I have one prompt, type in command is OK, no extra line after the command.

Just notice that I cannot use the backspace key, instead I need to use the old Ctrl+H to erase the previous char. Just remind me of those old teletype terminal.

> > 2. vi is not working properly inside telnet session. vi did work very well in the VirtualBox console so I think I might have miss some telnet settings.
> Not working properly is not a good explanation for a problem, so I can only guess a few things. The size of the
> putty terminal is essendial, must be 80x24 or termcap/terminfo programs get confused. The xterm terminal
> emulation in putty version you are using is not working properly, our you selected the wrong terminal emulation
> in the settings. Instead of xterm you could try vt100 (/etc/ttytype), with the putty versions I tested xterm worked
> best, but is a few years ago and I don't test all the new putty versions all the time.

For vi, I still do not have much luck. With your recommendation, I force the Putty config to display 80x24 char output.
Then I start vi
$ vi hello.c

vi comes up nicely.

Then I type i to enter insert mode (is still fine at this point)
I can enter the first line with no problem.

#include <stdio.h> /* first line */

However, when I type in the second line "int main() {"
there is no echo back (i.e. the line is blank and I cannot see what I type)
Up until I hit enter, the second line will become a blank line and what I type in appear at the third line.
And the cursor stays at column 2.

I need to use the right arrow key to go to the end of that line and hit enter. then I can go to the next line.

From now on, any text I type will not echo back and it has the same result as above. (i.e. a blank line follow by the text I type in at the next line)

Any idea what is going on.

> > 3. Does Udo's Coherent has the ftpd software installed so that I can start up the ftp server. I want to transfer file between my host and the VM.
> No, my VM's are based on original MWC distributions without any networking. For file transfers into the machine
> I use serial protocols like kermit, xmodem and uucp.

If I want to use kermit, where can I find it in your VM's version? I tried the command "which kermit" and I cannot find it.

One more question, on the other thread, you mention that your VM version does have the gcc. Where is it? I cannot find gcc nor g++ using the which command.

Rgds,
Chip

Re: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

<knq5s7F6c1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=49&group=comp.os.coherent#49

From: nmh...@sraddha.invalid (Nils M Holm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: 30 Sep 2023 08:51:19 GMT
Sender: Nils M Holm <nmh@sraddha.local>
 by: Nils M Holm - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:51 UTC

Chip Ling <s330chip.lenovo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just notice that I cannot use the backspace key, instead I need
> to use the old Ctrl+H to erase the previous char. Just remind me
> of those old teletype terminal.

stty erase ^V<DEL>

might fix this, where ^V is control-V and <DEL> means pressing DEL.
If it works, put it in your ".profile".

> For vi, I still do not have much luck. With your recommendation,
> I force the Putty config to display 80x24 char output.

Your terminal emulator is probably emulating a VT100, so

TERM=vt100; export TERM

might be worth a try (still in 80x24 mode).

--
Nils M Holm < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g > http://t3x.org

Re: How to transfer files between Coherent VM and the Host

<711cefcf-79d1-4888-a38c-bad3750fbb8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51&group=comp.os.coherent#51

Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 05:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: udo.m...@freenet.de (Udo Munk)
 by: Udo Munk - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:31 UTC

Chip Ling schrieb am Samstag, 30. September 2023 um 07:16:41 UTC+2:
> I play around Putty's configuration, here is the best result I got.
>
> Putty ==> Line discipline options: ==> Local echo = Force off; Local line editing = Force off

Excellent.

> Just notice that I cannot use the backspace key, instead I need to use the old Ctrl+H to erase the previous char. Just remind me of those old teletype terminal.

You can configure behaviour of the <- key in putty under keyboard. Set it to send DEL, because you usually
always can sent CTRL-H when needed.

Or use stty as Nils sugests.

> vi comes up nicely.
>
> Then I type i to enter insert mode (is still fine at this point)
> I can enter the first line with no problem.
I installed latest putty version and tried with TERM=xterm, vt100, ansipc and get same results as you.
putty terminal control broken, not vt100 compatible anymore, this used to work.
Personly I don't use Windows systems and ptty a lot, so I don't care, I prefer to use some sort of UNIX
system with xterm, GNOME term, OSX term and so on, and telnet from that into the VM, which works.

> If I want to use kermit, where can I find it in your VM's version? I tried the command "which kermit" and I cannot find it.

Under COHERENT kermit is named ckermit.

> One more question, on the other thread, you mention that your VM version does have the gcc. Where is it? I cannot find gcc nor g++ using the which command.

GNU stuff is under /u1/gnu, /etc/profile has shell functions to set tool chain:
MWC - MWC toolchain
GNU - GNU toolchain

So type GNU on the command line and try again. Please note that a lot of tools now are GNU versions and
not MWC versions, but you can switch anytime as needed.