The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly. They were just the first not to crash.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Phone doesn't ring.

SubjectAuthor
* Phone doesn't ring.micky
+* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
| `- Re: Phone doesn't ring.Joerg Lorenz
`* Re: Phone doesn't ring.VanguardLH
 `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  +* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |`* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Carlos E.R.
  | +- Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  | +- Re: Phone doesn't ring.Joerg Lorenz
  | `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |  +* Re: Phone doesn't ring.AJL
  |  |`* Re: Phone doesn't ring.VanguardLH
  |  | `- Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |  +* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Chris
  |  |`* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |  | `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Chris
  |  |  `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |  |   `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Char Jackson
  |  |    `- Re: Phone doesn't ring.Andy Burnelli
  |  +* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Joerg Lorenz
  |  |`- Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |  `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Carlos E.R.
  |   `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |    `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.Carlos E.R.
  |     `* Re: Phone doesn't ring.micky
  |      `- Re: Phone doesn't ring.Joerg Lorenz
  `- Re: Phone doesn't ring.Carlos E.R.

Pages:12
Phone doesn't ring.

<l3udrh9gkq73apiielnhbn3livro6i13st@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36030&group=comp.mobile.android#36030

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Phone doesn't ring.
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 11:27:50 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 16:27 UTC

I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
ring.

Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
as paired with it.

But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.

What is the problem?

I had used the phone earlier that day, paired it with the car radio, but
the car was turned off an hour earlier and the radio along with it.
Plus the car is 120 feet away. Still, during testing, I turned
bluetooth off and that didn't help, turned it back on and that didn't
helped.

3 days ago I actually made an outgoing call, but I turned it off between
then and yesterday.
Today I restarted the phone and now it works. What was the problem?

Am I going to have to restart the phone every tiem I leave the car or
the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?

I think this happened before.

Xiaomi redmi note something-or-other

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp6vdm$o5se$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36033&group=comp.mobile.android#36033

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Phone doesn't ring.
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:55:18 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 16:55 UTC

Am 05.01.23 um 17:27 schrieb micky:
> I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
> ring.
>
> Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
> didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
> all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
> as paired with it.
>
> But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.
>
> What is the problem?

Reboot and test again.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<rf0erh1udb7m31st3g658t6atplu3f2ho3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36034&group=comp.mobile.android#36034

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 12:00:26 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:00 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:55:18 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 05.01.23 um 17:27 schrieb micky:
>> I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
>> ring.
>>
>> Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
>> didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
>> all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
>> as paired with it.
>>
>> But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.
>>
>> What is the problem?
>
>Reboot and test again.

Today I restarted the phone and now it works.

I think this has happened before.

Am I going to have to restart the phone every time I leave the car or
the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<2drs5j7wflfk$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36038&group=comp.mobile.android#36038

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 13:25:02 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:25 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
> ring.
>
> Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
> didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
> all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
> as paired with it.
>
> But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.
>
> What is the problem?
>
> I had used the phone earlier that day, paired it with the car radio, but
> the car was turned off an hour earlier and the radio along with it.
> Plus the car is 120 feet away. Still, during testing, I turned
> bluetooth off and that didn't help, turned it back on and that didn't
> helped.
>
> 3 days ago I actually made an outgoing call, but I turned it off between
> then and yesterday.
>
> Today I restarted the phone and now it works. What was the problem?
>
> Am I going to have to restart the phone every tiem I leave the car or
> the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
> I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?
>
> I think this happened before.
>
> Xiaomi redmi note something-or-other

Whose phone app are you using? The one bundled with the phone, or a
replacement you installed? How many phone dialer apps are on the phone?

There are apps that manage when the phone will make noise (ring).
Install any of those? The following article mentions one app where you
define "work flows" on your phone, one of which could be when your phone
rings:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-automatically-silence-restore-your-phone-to-ringer-mode-android/

I'm sure there are other apps that let you define when the phone will or
will not ring. You'll have to review your apps to see if any try to
manage the phone's ring. Alternate phone dialers could also have their
own scheduling feature, and why I asked if you're using the stock app
that was bundled with the phone, or a different phone dialer app.

Did you check if the phone got an update? Not phone app, but the phone
itself. I would also check when the phone app(s) got updated. For my
phone, going into settings -> General -> App info does not give the
datestamp for when an app got installed or updated. I have to go to the
Play Store app to see the Last Updated value (which is for the app at
the store, not on my phone, but if Play Store isn't saying there is an
update available for the app then I have it already, and should have it
since auto-update is enabled).

https://new.c.mi.com/global/post/452415

That is dated back on Nov 9, 2022. That doesn't mean when you were
offered the OS update, or when you applied it. Sorry, couldn't include
"something-or-other" in my search.

https://new.c.mi.com/global/forum-type/ALL

Those are there forums. Users there might know more about when there
were updates to whatever you have. You could also try:

https://www.mi.com/us/support/contact/

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tf9erhdcuqf0k6btsavd4vja38278ksoum@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36039&group=comp.mobile.android#36039

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 14:40:12 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 19:40 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 13:25:02 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
>> ring.
>>
>> Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
>> didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
>> all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
>> as paired with it.
>>
>> But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.
>>
>> What is the problem?
>>
>> I had used the phone earlier that day, paired it with the car radio, but
>> the car was turned off an hour earlier and the radio along with it.
>> Plus the car is 120 feet away. Still, during testing, I turned
>> bluetooth off and that didn't help, turned it back on and that didn't
>> helped.
>>
>> 3 days ago I actually made an outgoing call, but I turned it off between
>> then and yesterday.
>>
>> Today I restarted the phone and now it works. What was the problem?

However two hours later, again it didn't work. I tried 3 times. I
hadn't done anything with the phone since I restarted it.

I restarted it again and it's worked for the last 90 minutes.

Is there something like Windows Task Manager that shows all the programs
and subprograms that are running?

(continued below)

>> Am I going to have to restart the phone every tiem I leave the car or
>> the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
>> I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?
>>
>> I think this happened before.
>>
>> Xiaomi redmi note something-or-other
>
>Whose phone app are you using? The one bundled with the phone, or a

Yes, the one that came with the Xiaomi phone.

>replacement you installed? How many phone dialer apps are on the phone?

There's also whatsapp and skype, but they haven't been started since the
last time the phone was off.

>There are apps that manage when the phone will make noise (ring).
>Install any of those?

No.

> The following article mentions one app where you
>define "work flows" on your phone, one of which could be when your phone
>rings:
>
>https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-automatically-silence-restore-your-phone-to-ringer-mode-android/

I'll will read it soon.

>I'm sure there are other apps that let you define when the phone will or
>will not ring. You'll have to review your apps to see if any try to
>manage the phone's ring.

OKay. I'll do that soon.

> Alternate phone dialers could also have their
>own scheduling feature, and why I asked if you're using the stock app
>that was bundled with the phone, or a different phone dialer app.
>
>Did you check if the phone got an update? Not phone app, but the phone
>itself. I would also check when the phone app(s) got updated. For my
>phone, going into settings -> General -> App info does not give the
>datestamp for when an app got installed or updated. I have to go to the
>Play Store app to see the Last Updated value (which is for the app at
>the store, not on my phone, but if Play Store isn't saying there is an
>update available for the app then I have it already, and should have it
>since auto-update is enabled).
>
>https://new.c.mi.com/global/post/452415
>
>That is dated back on Nov 9, 2022. That doesn't mean when you were
>offered the OS update, or when you applied it. Sorry, couldn't include
>"something-or-other" in my search.

If not something-or-other, how about s-o-o? I will check.

>https://new.c.mi.com/global/forum-type/ALL
>
>Those are there forums. Users there might know more about when there
>were updates to whatever you have. You could also try:
>
>https://www.mi.com/us/support/contact/

Good point. I always forget the xiaomi forum, but this time it seems
very relevant.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp7f2u$odip$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36041&group=comp.mobile.android#36041

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:22:38 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 21:22 UTC

Am 05.01.23 um 18:00 schrieb micky:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:55:18 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
> <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Reboot and test again.
>

> Today I restarted the phone and now it works.
>
> I think this has happened before.
>
> Am I going to have to restart the phone every time I leave the car or
> the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
> I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?

Difficult to say what the reason for this behavior was. Probably the
hang up of a process. Try to figure out under which circumstances this
happens. It is important to isolate the real reason.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<gbherhp50n9tug0cbrumf6n4ps6hqgod58@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36044&group=comp.mobile.android#36044

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 16:59:14 -0500
 by: micky - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 21:59 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 05 Jan 2023 14:40:12 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 13:25:02 -0600, VanguardLH
><V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I slept through an important call yesterday because my phone did not
>>> ring.
>>>
>>> Yet none of the settings were such that it should not have rung. It
>>> didn't have DND, Mute, or Airplane mode turned on, volume was at max for
>>> all kinds of volume, and bluetooth was on but no other device was listed
>>> as paired with it.
>>>
>>> But testing it 5 times after I woke up also never made it ring.
>>>
>>> What is the problem?
>>>
>>> I had used the phone earlier that day, paired it with the car radio, but
>>> the car was turned off an hour earlier and the radio along with it.
>>> Plus the car is 120 feet away. Still, during testing, I turned
>>> bluetooth off and that didn't help, turned it back on and that didn't
>>> helped.
>>>
>>> 3 days ago I actually made an outgoing call, but I turned it off between
>>> then and yesterday.
>>>
>>> Today I restarted the phone and now it works. What was the problem?
>
>However two hours later, again it didn't work. I tried 3 times. I
>hadn't done anything with the phone since I restarted it.
>
>I restarted it again and it's worked for the last 90 minutes.

But a couple hours even later, 4 hours, again it no longer worked.

I restarted again, and again it worked.

This time, for sure I had done nothing else to the phone beetween the
times it worked and din't work, except turn the screen off with the
power button.

This is the second complete cycle in one day. :0(

After your questions, Vanguard, I realized I have a widget or maybe it's
icon on the home page that turns off the ringer. I'm careful not to use
it, and I should have noticed if I had used it because it changes from
green to red if the sound is off, but I did some more testing.

Even when this app turns the sound off, the boxes to either accept or
reject the call still appear, and the flashlight continues to flash
(illuminating the top quarter of the clear vinyl case, in a ring around
the top of the phone**). HOwever when the phone has been "broken", as
well as not riinging, neither of these things happeend either. (I
really knew it worked this way from before when I used the widget.)

**A very nice feature of this Xiaomi phone. I don't know if it is found
on other phones or not. It's a setting that has to be turned on.

>Is there something like Windows Task Manager that shows all the programs
>and subprograms that are running?
>
>(continued below)
>

>>> Am I going to have to restart the phone every tiem I leave the car or
>>> the necklace or hearphones I sometimes use? What if I get a call while
>>> I'm using the car, the necklace, or the Hearphones?
>>>
>>> I think this happened before.
>>>
>>> Xiaomi redmi note something-or-other
>>
>>Whose phone app are you using? The one bundled with the phone, or a
>
>Yes, the one that came with the Xiaomi phone.
>
>>replacement you installed? How many phone dialer apps are on the phone?
>
>There's also whatsapp and skype, but they haven't been started since the
>last time the phone was off.
>>
>>There are apps that manage when the phone will make noise (ring).
>>Install any of those?
>
>No.
>
>> The following article mentions one app where you
>>define "work flows" on your phone, one of which could be when your phone
>>rings:
>>
>>https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-automatically-silence-restore-your-phone-to-ringer-mode-android/
>
>I'll will read it soon.

I either don't have or don't use these three things.

>>I'm sure there are other apps that let you define when the phone will or
>>will not ring. You'll have to review your apps to see if any try to
>>manage the phone's ring.
>
>OKay. I'll do that soon.
Going to take some time. Certainly I have nothing with a timer, and I
don't touch any of the apps in between it working and not working, so Io
look at anything regarding the phone or the sound, but I have a lot of
apps.

>> Alternate phone dialers could also have their
>>own scheduling feature, and why I asked if you're using the stock app
>>that was bundled with the phone, or a different phone dialer app.
>>
>>Did you check if the phone got an update? Not phone app, but the phone
>>itself. I would also check when the phone app(s) got updated. For my
>>phone, going into settings -> General -> App info does not give the
>>datestamp for when an app got installed or updated. I have to go to the
>>Play Store app to see the Last Updated value (which is for the app at
>>the store, not on my phone, but if Play Store isn't saying there is an
>>update available for the app then I have it already, and should have it
>>since auto-update is enabled).
>>
>>https://new.c.mi.com/global/post/452415
>>
>>That is dated back on Nov 9, 2022. That doesn't mean when you were
>>offered the OS update, or when you applied it. Sorry, couldn't include
>>"something-or-other" in my search.
>
>If not something-or-other, how about s-o-o? I will check.
>
>>https://new.c.mi.com/global/forum-type/ALL
>>
>>Those are there forums. Users there might know more about when there
>>were updates to whatever you have. You could also try:
>>
>>https://www.mi.com/us/support/contact/
>
>Good point. I always forget the xiaomi forum, but this time it seems
>very relevant.

I still have to do this.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<f6uj8jxh7k.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36046&group=comp.mobile.android#36046

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:05:35 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:05 UTC

On 2023-01-05 20:40, micky wrote:
>> replacement you installed? How many phone dialer apps are on the phone?
> There's also whatsapp and skype, but they haven't been started since the
> last time the phone was off.

At least wasap starts on its own at boot and puts itself or part of
itself in background, running continuously.

But should not interfere with ringing.

I assume skype does similarly.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<ibuj8jxh7k.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36047&group=comp.mobile.android#36047

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:08 UTC

On 2023-01-05 22:59, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 05 Jan 2023 14:40:12 -0500, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 13:25:02 -0600, VanguardLH
>> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>> I restarted it again and it's worked for the last 90 minutes.
>
> But a couple hours even later, 4 hours, again it no longer worked.
>
> I restarted again, and again it worked.
>
> This time, for sure I had done nothing else to the phone beetween the
> times it worked and din't work, except turn the screen off with the
> power button.
>
> This is the second complete cycle in one day. :0(
>

> After your questions, Vanguard, I realized I have a widget or maybe it's
> icon on the home page that turns off the ringer. I'm careful not to use
> it, and I should have noticed if I had used it because it changes from
> green to red if the sound is off, but I did some more testing.

What is this app? Please, don't keep this secret, you should already
have said which app it is.

I would try uninstalling it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<ikuerh9k2mp4r9vsjam405g0k6rrse0emt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36065&group=comp.mobile.android#36065

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 20:53:01 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> After your questions, Vanguard, I realized I have a widget or maybe it's
>> icon on the home page that turns off the ringer. I'm careful not to use
>> it, and I should have noticed if I had used it because it changes from
>> green to red if the sound is off, but I did some more testing.
>
>What is this app? Please, don't keep this secret, you should already
>have said which app it is.

It's called Mute It's by MNO Company and its icon is, I guess, a
whistle/pitch pipe at a 45^ angle. 500K downloads, 4.6 stars on 8000
reviews, but I frequenly see people complaining about the recent version
of various apps. (comments are no longer in reverse chronological order)

>I would try uninstalling it.

I will try that and get back to you.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp8dh0$o914$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36075&group=comp.mobile.android#36075

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:02:08 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 06:02 UTC

Am 05.01.23 um 23:08 schrieb Carlos E.R.:
> On 2023-01-05 22:59, micky wrote:
>> After your questions, Vanguard, I realized I have a widget or maybe it's
>> icon on the home page that turns off the ringer. I'm careful not to use
>> it, and I should have noticed if I had used it because it changes from
>> green to red if the sound is off, but I did some more testing.
>
> What is this app? Please, don't keep this secret, you should already
> have said which app it is.
>
> I would try uninstalling it.

+1
I would uninstall everything (third party software) that has the
capability to interfere with the phone app that came along with the phone.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<m9efrh1o1tss3qnlqrtu6lkroc5gg9c6no@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36076&group=comp.mobile.android#36076

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 01:11:27 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 06:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-01-05 22:59, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 05 Jan 2023 14:40:12 -0500, micky
>> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 13:25:02 -0600, VanguardLH
>>> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> I restarted it again and it's worked for the last 90 minutes.
>>
>> But a couple hours even later, 4 hours, again it no longer worked.
>>
>> I restarted again, and again it worked.
>>
>> This time, for sure I had done nothing else to the phone beetween the
>> times it worked and din't work, except turn the screen off with the
>> power button.
>>
>> This is the second complete cycle in one day. :0(
>>

>> After your questions, Vanguard, I realized I have a widget or maybe it's
>> icon on the home page that turns off the ringer. I'm careful not to use
>> it, and I should have noticed if I had used it because it changes from
>> green to red if the sound is off, but I did some more testing.
>
>What is this app? Please, don't keep this secret, you should already
>have said which app it is.

It's called Mute by MNO Company.

>I would try uninstalling it.

I deleted Mute, especially okay since I'm not sleeping with my phone
like I did when on my vacation and I had no clock radio, and still the
phone didn't ring.

But then Cleanup or something showed up and said there were residuals
and I could delete them. With the cache (which it convinced me to
delete. ????) it totaled almost a gig. So I did. and then the phone
would ring.

But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
phone message.
Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.

What's next!!

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp8g1g$33nsn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36078&group=comp.mobile.android#36078

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:44:54 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 06:44 UTC

On 1/5/2023 11:11 PM, micky wrote:

> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.

> What's next!!

Factory reset...

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp8kdu$344fi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36079&group=comp.mobile.android#36079

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:59:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pMFmnKRj9YmPOTG86dqojgDpCEo=
 by: Chris - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:59 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>

> But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
> connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
> ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
> on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
> it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
> phone message.
> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.

The call isn't being routed to your mobile phone. Either it's a network
problem with your carrier or your phone isn't connecting to the network
reliably. How many bars is the phone showing?

> What's next!!

Contact your carrier and/or junk the phone.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tp8mod$od7g$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36080&group=comp.mobile.android#36080

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:39:41 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 08:39 UTC

Am 06.01.23 um 07:11 schrieb micky:
> I deleted Mute, especially okay since I'm not sleeping with my phone
> like I did when on my vacation and I had no clock radio, and still the
> phone didn't ring.
>
> But then Cleanup or something showed up and said there were residuals
> and I could delete them. With the cache (which it convinced me to
> delete. ????) it totaled almost a gig. So I did. and then the phone
> would ring.
>
> But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
> connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
> ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
> on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
> it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
> phone message.
> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>
> What's next!!

A useful phone or a factory reset. First backup your phone on Google Drive.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<1kxvvi98qw41s.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36081&group=comp.mobile.android#36081

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 03:51:10 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:51 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

> On 1/5/2023 11:11 PM, micky wrote:
>
>> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
>> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
>> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>
>> What's next!!
>
> Factory reset...

But AFTER you configure the Play Store app to /not/ reinstall previously
installed apps. Else, if an app is the source of the problem, you do a
reset, but the app gets reinstalled, and the problem is still there.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<s8fl8jxt0n.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36083&group=comp.mobile.android#36083

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:03:08 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 12:03 UTC

On 2023-01-06 07:11, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-01-05 22:59, micky wrote:

> What's next!!

Are you getting your calls via wifi, or via mobile network? Try
disabling WiFi.

Just a wild idea.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<j5hgrhps0vq0tgdl3lo0o58ecbou11gegv@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36084&group=comp.mobile.android#36084

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:02:35 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:02 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:03:08 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-01-06 07:11, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> What's next!!

I consistently have 5 bars for cell connection.

>Are you getting your calls via wifi, or via mobile network?

You know, I don't know. If wifi is on, how does one know?

> Try
>disabling WiFi.

Okay. When I do that the bars symbol shows some changes on the left
end, so tiny I can't see what they are, even with a magnifying glass, no
taller than the left-most shortest bar.
And LTE appears in the upper left of the bars. (LTE goes away when I
turn on wifi, but does that mean I'm receiving the calls via wifi?)

>Just a wild idea.

I'm a wild guy.

Okay, so I called myself an djust as the phone started to ring, the
LTE disappeared from the bar icon. Twice. But that doesn't mean it's
fixed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'll work on it.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<5hhgrht1rmf2f0c29p68huvtu05is7lf27@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36085&group=comp.mobile.android#36085

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:12:42 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:12 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 03:51:10 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/5/2023 11:11 PM, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
>>> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
>>> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>>
>>> What's next!!
>>
>> Factory reset...

Ugh.

>But AFTER you configure the Play Store app to /not/ reinstall previously
>installed apps. Else, if an app is the source of the problem, you do a
>reset, but the app gets reinstalled, and the problem is still there.

Great! I didn't know you could do that. Last time I got a new phone,
I wanted to load the apps in a logical manner, Utilities in one folder;
Maps; Foreign travel; Food; Phone/whatsapp/skype; Radio/music/video;
Bank/credit card ....

But before I could do that, they all got reinstalled automatially and
the order was even worse than before. Before it was chronological by
install date. Now it's not even that, in part because 3 or 4 of the 100
apps didn't get installed automatically and so I had to put them at the
end. I think K-9 for email is on my last page even though I'd like it
near the front, and I never did figure out how to easily move an icon to
another page.

Also I tried to uninstall a few apps, like stud-finders (which didn't
work so well and I had to buy a real double-sensitive one) and others I
had no use for, and 3 or 4 would not uninstall. So if I turn off
auto-install, I will be rid of them. ;-)

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<g4igrhpmpkpl04ijitu19k8pnn7maol4ad@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36087&group=comp.mobile.android#36087

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:15:05 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:15 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:59:58 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>>

>> But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
>> connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
>> ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
>> on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
>> it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
>> phone message.
>> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
>> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
>> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>
>The call isn't being routed to your mobile phone. Either it's a network
>problem with your carrier or your phone isn't connecting to the network
>reliably. How many bars is the phone showing?

5, all the time. There are cellular antennas on top of an appartment
building 200 yards away, and two separate cell towers less than 1/2 mile
away. I tried to figure out which one I'm using, but I either failed or
got distracted. I should try some more.

>> What's next!!
>
>Contact your carrier and/or junk the phone.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<j8igrhplr8ut1ie3m77agpa23cnf98l95c@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36088&group=comp.mobile.android#36088

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:15:42 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:15 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:39:41 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 06.01.23 um 07:11 schrieb micky:
>> I deleted Mute, especially okay since I'm not sleeping with my phone
>> like I did when on my vacation and I had no clock radio, and still the
>> phone didn't ring.
>>
>> But then Cleanup or something showed up and said there were residuals
>> and I could delete them. With the cache (which it convinced me to
>> delete. ????) it totaled almost a gig. So I did. and then the phone
>> would ring.
>>
>> But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
>> connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
>> ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
>> on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
>> it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
>> phone message.
>> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
>> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
>> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>>
>> What's next!!
>
>A useful phone or a factory reset. First backup your phone on Google Drive.

Thanks. I would not have thought of Google Drive, which I have never
used.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tpbhdo$3fq2c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36143&group=comp.mobile.android#36143

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:27:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QM6HS1pVXRi6xZV1axRSb7ya/OA=
 by: Chris - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:27 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 07:59:58 -0000 (UTC), Chris
> <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>> In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:08:18 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>>>

>>> But I forgot that, I turned off bluetooth (even though it wasn't
>>> connected with anything) and I restarted the phone, and again it won't
>>> ring, and the box to answer doesn't drop down and the light doesn't go
>>> on. And the speakerphone on the landline never has the ringing sound
>>> it has when I call other numbers (????????) and then it plays my cell
>>> phone message.
>>> Then I did it again 5 minutes later, and the phone did ring.
>>> Then I did it again 3 minutes after that, and the phone didn't
>>> ring!!!!!! And again. But the next time, a minute later, it did ring.
>>
>> The call isn't being routed to your mobile phone. Either it's a network
>> problem with your carrier or your phone isn't connecting to the network
>> reliably. How many bars is the phone showing?
>
> 5, all the time. There are cellular antennas on top of an appartment
> building 200 yards away, and two separate cell towers less than 1/2 mile
> away. I tried to figure out which one I'm using, but I either failed or
> got distracted. I should try some more.

I wouldn't bother. The problem is not in the signal.

>>> What's next!!
>>
>> Contact your carrier and/or junk the phone.

Have you contacted your network? They're more likely to let you know if the
problem is external to you or not.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<r7op8jxqm5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36176&group=comp.mobile.android#36176

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:00:43 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 03:00 UTC

On 2023-01-06 17:02, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:03:08 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-01-06 07:11, micky wrote:

>>> What's next!!
>
> I consistently have 5 bars for cell connection.
>
>> Are you getting your calls via wifi, or via mobile network?
>
> You know, I don't know. If wifi is on, how does one know?

I don't know, because I don't think I have got such calls yet.

>> Try
>> disabling WiFi.
>
> Okay. When I do that the bars symbol shows some changes on the left
> end, so tiny I can't see what they are, even with a magnifying glass, no
> taller than the left-most shortest bar.
> And LTE appears in the upper left of the bars. (LTE goes away when I
> turn on wifi, but does that mean I'm receiving the calls via wifi?)

No, just that data (internet) is coming now via LTE.

>> Just a wild idea.
>
> I'm a wild guy.
>
> Okay, so I called myself an djust as the phone started to ring, the
> LTE disappeared from the bar icon. Twice. But that doesn't mean it's
> fixed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
>
> I'll work on it.

The idea is to try a few calls with WiFi off and see if it rings all
times. If it keeps failing, the wild idea was not correct.

If it works, then you have to disable calls using wifi.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<eb7nrhp5shuvj1su5lv35jha38riiemtsh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36199&group=comp.mobile.android#36199

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 23:53:34 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 04:53 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:00:43 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-01-06 17:02, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:03:08 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> I consistently have 5 bars for cell connection.
>>
>>> Are you getting your calls via wifi, or via mobile network?
>>
>> You know, I don't know. If wifi is on, how does one know?
>
>I don't know, because I don't think I have got such calls yet.
>

>>> Try
>>> disabling WiFi.
>>
>> Okay. When I do that the bars symbol shows some changes on the left
>> end, so tiny I can't see what they are, even with a magnifying glass, no
>> taller than the left-most shortest bar.
>> And LTE appears in the upper left of the bars. (LTE goes away when I
>> turn on wifi, but does that mean I'm receiving the calls via wifi?)
>
>No, just that data (internet) is coming now via LTE.
>

>>> Just a wild idea.
>>
>> I'm a wild guy.
>>
>> Okay, so I called myself an djust as the phone started to ring, the
>> LTE disappeared from the bar icon. Twice. But that doesn't mean it's
>> fixed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
>>
>> I'll work on it.
>
>The idea is to try a few calls with WiFi off and see if it rings all
>times. If it keeps failing, the wild idea was not correct.

I think I tried and it didn't work. But it made me feel wild. I'll try
some more tomorrow and the contact the provider. I figure they know
more on Monday than on the weekend.

>If it works, then you have to disable calls using wifi.

Re: Phone doesn't ring.

<tpge30$sosd$1@solani.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=36201&group=comp.mobile.android#36201

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 08:00:47 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 07:00 UTC

Am 09.01.23 um 05:53 schrieb micky:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:00:43 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> The idea is to try a few calls with WiFi off and see if it rings all
>> times. If it keeps failing, the wild idea was not correct.
>
> I think I tried and it didn't work. But it made me feel wild. I'll try
> some more tomorrow and the contact the provider. I figure they know
> more on Monday than on the weekend.

My suggestion would also be to call first the provider of both services
(mobile/landline). If they cannot help immediately backup to Google and
then initiate a factory reset of the Xiaomei.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)