A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used. -- D. Gries

devel / comp.theory / Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

SubjectAuthor
* A Reason To Have Billions of DollarsB.H.
`* A Reason To Have Billions of DollarsB.H.
 `* A Reason To Have Billions of Dollarsm syadoz
  `* A Reason To Have Billions of DollarsB.H.
   `* A Reason To Have Billions of Dollarsm syadoz
    `- A Reason To Have Billions of DollarsB.H.

1
A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<d4259a1f-d0f8-4643-bfb4-2f58429570dfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35378&group=comp.theory#35378

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 11:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 18:50 UTC

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about utility functions and the idea that I might not need billions of dollars; I'd have enough.

The thing is, have tons of money means you have the *capability* to enter political races and buy businesses. Thus, people who forecast and predict behavior of the economy and political establishment might push for the idea that the extremely wealthy should have their political will respected, to avoid conflicts with others whom such billionaires could theoretically compete with quite effectively.

Probably, there's a related idea for possessing secret STEM innovations. If I have "the power to publish," my political will is more related to the doctor's office and transportation rather than traditional business/rights politics as covered by businesses and government leaders.

Thus, it very well might make sense for me to try to convert as much of my STEM breakthroughs into money as possible; it wouldn't be that hard and I could start a business if I really needed to. The thing is, I want more control over law enforcement, anti-abuse movements, and anti-discrimination efforts, not what happens to people in the doctor's office or while driving or flying on airplanes. A new business is essentially a new vehicle for rich people to maybe drive if you go public; fundamentally, I might be after money more than concrete business ownership, concrete political office, STEM stockpiles, or other utility-linked quantities. Ultimately, I'll probably want to publish books and have lots of money, and spend it to buy things or maybe support certain candidates very sparingly and strategically.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<1348107d-ed2b-42e0-9222-5b6e8d8abd1fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35598&group=comp.theory#35598

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:37 UTC

On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 2:50:14 PM UTC-4, B.H. wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was thinking about utility functions and the idea that I might not need billions of dollars; I'd have enough.
>
> The thing is, have tons of money means you have the *capability* to enter political races and buy businesses. Thus, people who forecast and predict behavior of the economy and political establishment might push for the idea that the extremely wealthy should have their political will respected, to avoid conflicts with others whom such billionaires could theoretically compete with quite effectively.
>
> Probably, there's a related idea for possessing secret STEM innovations. If I have "the power to publish," my political will is more related to the doctor's office and transportation rather than traditional business/rights politics as covered by businesses and government leaders.
>
> Thus, it very well might make sense for me to try to convert as much of my STEM breakthroughs into money as possible; it wouldn't be that hard and I could start a business if I really needed to. The thing is, I want more control over law enforcement, anti-abuse movements, and anti-discrimination efforts, not what happens to people in the doctor's office or while driving or flying on airplanes. A new business is essentially a new vehicle for rich people to maybe drive if you go public; fundamentally, I might be after money more than concrete business ownership, concrete political office, STEM stockpiles, or other utility-linked quantities. Ultimately, I'll probably want to publish books and have lots of money, and spend it to buy things or maybe support certain candidates very sparingly and strategically.
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

Update on this:

I probably don't need billions of dollars. My skill set is good enough that I could enter political races or found competitive businesses on my own without needing to "buy my way in" to anything. I'm not really interested in running a business for a long time, so as I said before, I will probably sell some IP for my main amount of money, buy a nice house and security, play chess, get/stay fit and healthy, and write fiction and non-fiction. Now that I've published the diff eq ideas, the field is essentially closed down, and the air superiority to plant devices like the one bothering me ought to be soon be gone...I don't think the DOD/DOS has a competitive edge at AI, that is mainly the kind of thing you would find on the internet, so my sense of it is that is about to be game over for airplanes stalking people....soon, pretty much anyone with money and access to engineering equipment will be able, in theory, to shoot down offending planes themselves with drones.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<8ad02ffa-baff-4119-a2ad-f221c9fb8307n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=36133&group=comp.theory#36133

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 15:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: syad...@gmail.com (m syadoz)
 by: m syadoz - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 22:06 UTC

On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 1:37:40 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 2:50:14 PM UTC-4, B.H. wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I was thinking about utility functions and the idea that I might not need billions of dollars; I'd have enough.
> >
> > The thing is, have tons of money means you have the *capability* to enter political races and buy businesses. Thus, people who forecast and predict behavior of the economy and political establishment might push for the idea that the extremely wealthy should have their political will respected, to avoid conflicts with others whom such billionaires could theoretically compete with quite effectively.
> >
> > Probably, there's a related idea for possessing secret STEM innovations.. If I have "the power to publish," my political will is more related to the doctor's office and transportation rather than traditional business/rights politics as covered by businesses and government leaders.
> >
> > Thus, it very well might make sense for me to try to convert as much of my STEM breakthroughs into money as possible; it wouldn't be that hard and I could start a business if I really needed to. The thing is, I want more control over law enforcement, anti-abuse movements, and anti-discrimination efforts, not what happens to people in the doctor's office or while driving or flying on airplanes. A new business is essentially a new vehicle for rich people to maybe drive if you go public; fundamentally, I might be after money more than concrete business ownership, concrete political office, STEM stockpiles, or other utility-linked quantities. Ultimately, I'll probably want to publish books and have lots of money, and spend it to buy things or maybe support certain candidates very sparingly and strategically.
> >
> > -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
> Update on this:
>
> I probably don't need billions of dollars. My skill set is good enough that I could enter political races or found competitive businesses on my own without needing to "buy my way in" to anything. I'm not really interested in running a business for a long time, so as I said before, I will probably sell some IP for my main amount of money, buy a nice house and security, play chess, get/stay fit and healthy, and write fiction and non-fiction. Now that I've published the diff eq ideas, the field is essentially closed down, and the air superiority to plant devices like the one bothering me ought to be soon be gone...I don't think the DOD/DOS has a competitive edge at AI, that is mainly the kind of thing you would find on the internet, so my sense of it is that is about to be game over for airplanes stalking people...soon, pretty much anyone with money and access to engineering equipment will be able, in theory, to shoot down offending planes themselves with drones..
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow

Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<e0d9c0aa-2e43-46ed-ab06-17940fdd1ebcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=36160&group=comp.theory#36160

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 23:51 UTC

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 6:06:27 PM UTC-4, m syadoz wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
> Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent

Ouch. I searched for Elon Musk and found this article:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-chess-news-if-you-loose-i-get-a-tesla-elon-musk-openly-challenged-by-chess-world-over-a-shocking-tweet-against-the-sport/

Most games are "simple," winning chess is not that simple. It is like that thing Terence Tao said about getting your foot on the foothold to solve the mountain-like math problem; if you haven't stepped onto any of the first footholds, you will think chess is just a big smooth monolith and will not understand it.

Chess is masterable, but it requires a lot of thought and analysis. In general, if you take the game seriously and are willing to think for yourself, improving at the game can be like "coaching yourself at the sport of being competitive itself." The exact rules of the game and the dynamics of how to win are not the only benefit of chess; you can watch yourself analyze your own performance, and, if you record your efforts to improve, you can learn valuable lessons at how to compete at many other things in life.

My advice is, work with a coach briefly if you want an introduction to the game; I had an excellent chess coach when I was around 9, and then remembered what I was taught and the one book I was asked to read in particular, and came back to chess in my twenties. I slowly figured the game out and learned about competition and chess/strategy itself; ultimately, outside of being better at chess, the top benefit was having a calm process of competing to get progressively better at something on my own.

-Philip White (philipjwhite@yahoo.com)

Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<e6b0a807-5e9e-4ffd-be29-8efe0fddd6bbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=36169&group=comp.theory#36169

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 23:02:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: syad...@gmail.com (m syadoz)
 by: m syadoz - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:02 UTC

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 6:52:01 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:
> On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 6:06:27 PM UTC-4, m syadoz wrote:

> > > Update on this:
> > >
> > > I probably don't need billions of dollars. My skill set is good enough that I could enter political races or found competitive businesses on my own without needing to "buy my way in" to anything. I'm not really interested in running a business for a long time, so as I said before, I will probably sell some IP for my main amount of money, buy a nice house and security, play chess, get/stay fit and healthy, and write fiction and non-fiction. Now that I've published the diff eq ideas, the field is essentially closed down, and the air superiority to plant devices like the one bothering me ought to be soon be gone...I don't think the DOD/DOS has a competitive edge at AI, that is mainly the kind of thing you would find on the internet, so my sense of it is that is about to be game over for airplanes stalking people...soon, pretty much anyone with money and access to engineering equipment will be able, in theory, to shoot down offending planes themselves with drones.
> > >
> > > -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)
> > Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent
> >
> > https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow
> Ouch. I searched for Elon Musk and found this article:

Searching for musk will not get your world to a state of balance

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-affair-google-co-founder-sergey-brin-wife-2022-7

Musk is icky on every level of examination

> https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-chess-news-if-you-loose-i-get-a-tesla-elon-musk-openly-challenged-by-chess-world-over-a-shocking-tweet-against-the-sport/
>
> Most games are "simple," winning chess is not that simple. It is like that thing Terence Tao said about getting your foot on the foothold to solve the mountain-like math problem; if you haven't stepped onto any of the first footholds, you will think chess is just a big smooth monolith and will not understand it.
>
> Chess is masterable, but it requires a lot of thought and analysis. In general, if you take the game seriously and are willing to think for yourself, improving at the game can be like "coaching yourself at the sport of being competitive itself." The exact rules of the game and the dynamics of how to win are not the only benefit of chess; you can watch yourself analyze your own performance, and, if you record your efforts to improve, you can learn valuable lessons at how to compete at many other things in life.
>
> My advice is, work with a coach briefly if you want an introduction to the game; I had an excellent chess coach when I was around 9, and then remembered what I was taught and the one book I was asked to read in particular, and came back to chess in my twenties. I slowly figured the game out and learned about competition and chess/strategy itself; ultimately, outside of being better at chess, the top benefit was having a calm process of competing to get progressively better at something on my own.
>
> -Philip White (philip...@yahoo.com)

Re: A Reason To Have Billions of Dollars

<25cf078d-9a46-4f51-863b-cd160a64f9c4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=36198&group=comp.theory#36198

Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: xlt....@gmail.com (B.H.)
 by: B.H. - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:58 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 2:02:33 AM UTC-4, m syadoz wrote:
> On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 6:52:01 PM UTC-5, B.H. wrote:

> > > Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent
> > >
> > > https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow
> > Ouch. I searched for Elon Musk and found this article:
> Searching for musk will not get your world to a state of balance
>
> https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-affair-google-co-founder-sergey-brin-wife-2022-7
>
> Musk is icky on every level of examination

Why do you say that? What do you think of his ex-girlfriend, Claire Boucher? I think she is a good singer, I don't have a problem with her, other than the same problem I have with Musk, which was some racially charged comment or incident in the past...I think some racial bias incident happened in the workplace, and he didn't care enough or said something. That is bad, but he has a disability...maybe he has a mild personality issue and is not pure evil or whatever. I'm not that judgmental about affairs, although I don't think breaking people's hearts is appropriate.

Note, I am pivoting to "not caring if famous people are reading my posts"; I am more focused on if prospective employers are reading them, since my health has improved and the constraints against me are mostly gone.

-Philip