From: dave.gar...@wizinfo.com (Dave Garland)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: Please critique the new online version of the Telecom Digest [telecom]
Date: 10 Oct 2022 21:21:13 -0500
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Dave Garland - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 02:21 UTC

Bill Horne wrote:

> I'm puzzled by your comment about the masthead: I would have
> thought it was "too big" if compared to the individual messages, so
> please tell us more about which part of it is out-of-proportion:
> the Table of Contents? The top-of-page banner and images?

All. In portrait, the entire masthead, ToC, banner, images is 25mm
wide and microscopic (60mm screen width). Vivaldi on a Pixel, Android
10. Landscape, it's 57mm (100mm screen width) and readable. Messages
display as full screen width either way.

The duckduckgo browser seems to render everything in proportions like
my desk computer. Portrait is ok but everything too small to read,
landscape is decent.

Firefox Focus seems to take me via DDG (not sure why), and omits the
masthead completely.

On desktop, screen res 1344x840, Brave, Opera, Firefox, Pale Moon and
Chrome all render ok & about the same.

Re: Please critique the new online version of the Telecom Digest [telecom]

<20221013021046.GA535110@telecomdigest.us>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3625&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3625

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 02:10:46 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 02:10 UTC

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 09:21:13PM -0500, Dave Garland wrote:
> Bill Horne wrote:
>
>> I'm puzzled by your comment about the masthead: I would have
>> thought it was "too big" if compared to the individual messages, so
>> please tell us more about which part of it is out-of-proportion:
>> the Table of Contents? The top-of-page banner and images?
>
> All. In portrait, the entire masthead, ToC, banner, images is 25mm
> wide and microscopic (60mm screen width). Vivaldi on a Pixel, Android
> 10. Landscape, it's 57mm (100mm screen width) and readable. Messages
> display as full screen width either way.
>
> The duckduckgo browser seems to render everything in proportions like
> my desk computer. Portrait is ok but everything too small to read,
> landscape is decent.
>
> Firefox Focus seems to take me via DDG (not sure why), and omits the
> masthead completely.
>
> On desktop, screen res 1344x840, Brave, Opera, Firefox, Pale Moon and
> Chrome all render ok & about the same.

I'm going to ask that you take pictures of the Pixel screen, with
various parts of the Telecom DIgest page visible, so that we can get a
better understanding of the situation. I'll publish the images at
the T-D website.

I'll also ask that anyone with web design expertise volunteer their
services to help with these goals:

1. Adjust page width and height and proportions to more clearly show
the online copy of the Digest when users visit it, depending on the
screen resolution available to each viewer.

2. Find the best compromise between the current text layout, which is
simply a copy of the line lengths shown in each individual TD post,
and HTML, css, or other options to automatically improve on it.

3. Automate the "markup" of each day's online digest version, by using
a copy of the daily digest and tools such as sed or awk.

Thanks for any help you have time to provide: I hope we'll get a
better publication and make daily tasks easier by working together.

Bill Horne

P.S. The latest example of the online digest is at
http://telecomdigest.net/rsi/latest-issue.html

--
(Please remove QRM to reply to my personal inbox)