Trying to establish voice contact ... please ____yell into keyboard.

computers / comp.text.tex / Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

SubjectAuthor
* Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Jonathan Fine
+- Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
`* Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Peter Flynn
 `* Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
  `* Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Peter Flynn
   +- Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Phillip Helbig (undress to reply
   +- Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Manfred Lotz
   `- Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)Ulrike Fischer

1
Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<ca662ed6-ee89-4fe2-9dcd-192b0b337205n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3637&group=comp.text.tex#3637

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 12:14:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)
From: jfine2...@gmail.com (Jonathan Fine)
 by: Jonathan Fine - Fri, 28 May 2021 19:14 UTC

Tim Gowers, ace Cambridge mathematician and Fields medallist sent Dominic Cummings a memo on coronavirus policy and herd-immunity.

This would be off-topic, except that he used pdfTeX to typeset the memo. It probably used LaTeX. The paper size is US Letter.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/a-look-at-prof-gowers-herd-immunity-document-sent-to-dominic-cummings
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/20792507/questions-about-coronavirus-policy.pdf

--
Jonathan

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<s8rgvm$99r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3638&group=comp.text.tex#3638

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 19:40:38 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Fri, 28 May 2021 19:40 UTC

> Subject: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

If it's not true, it's well told: A scientist was once surprised when,
after a conference, his webserver became overloaded after he had put up
a page about the proceedings. Title: "Submission in LaTeX".

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<ihd6i2F9o0eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3639&group=comp.text.tex#3639

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 22:44:34 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Fri, 28 May 2021 21:44 UTC

On 28/05/2021 20:14, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> Tim Gowers, ace Cambridge mathematician and Fields medallist sent
> Dominic Cummings a memo on coronavirus policy and herd-immunity.
>
> This would be off-topic, except that he used pdfTeX to typeset the
> memo. It probably used LaTeX. The paper size is US Letter.

I am delighted Dr Gowers chose to write in LaTeX, although as a
mathematician it's probably unsurprising. I am puzzled about the paper
size, though.

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<s8sot1$1llk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3640&group=comp.text.tex#3640

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 07:01:53 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sat, 29 May 2021 07:01 UTC

In article <ihd6i2F9o0eU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
<peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 28/05/2021 20:14, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> > Tim Gowers, ace Cambridge mathematician and Fields medallist sent
> > Dominic Cummings a memo on coronavirus policy and herd-immunity.
> >
> > This would be off-topic, except that he used pdfTeX to typeset the
> > memo. It probably used LaTeX. The paper size is US Letter.
>
> I am delighted Dr Gowers chose to write in LaTeX, although as a
> mathematician it's probably unsurprising. I am puzzled about the paper
> size, though.

It's the default. It doesn't matter much if reading on the screen. US
paper is noticeably shorter and slightly wider than A4 paper. The UK
foolscap is even taller than A4. So we are talking about different
sizes of margins essentially.

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<ihfol6FopjsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3643&group=comp.text.tex#3643

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 22:05:42 +0100
 by: Peter Flynn - Sat, 29 May 2021 21:05 UTC

On 29/05/2021 08:01, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> In article <ihd6i2F9o0eU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
> <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
[...]
>> I am puzzled about the paper size, though.
>
> It's the default.

I was under the impression that the default in current distributions was
A4 if the installer sees where you are.

Peter

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<s8vgi5$1oep$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3644&group=comp.text.tex#3644

From: hel...@asclothestro.multivax.de (Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 07:57:57 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Phillip Helbig (undr - Sun, 30 May 2021 07:57 UTC

In article <ihfol6FopjsU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
<peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> On 29/05/2021 08:01, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> > In article <ihd6i2F9o0eU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
> > <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
> [...]
> >> I am puzzled about the paper size, though.
> >
> > It's the default.
>
> I was under the impression that the default in current distributions was
> A4 if the installer sees where you are.

Could be, but a) maybe the installer doesn't see where he is and b)
maybe his distribution was installed a long time ago.

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<20210530102309.0bf489e7.ml_news@posteo.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3645&group=comp.text.tex#3645

From: ml_n...@posteo.de (Manfred Lotz)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:23:09 +0200
 by: Manfred Lotz - Sun, 30 May 2021 08:23 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 22:05:42 +0100
Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:

> On 29/05/2021 08:01, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> > In article <ihd6i2F9o0eU1@mid.individual.net>, Peter Flynn
> > <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
> [...]
> >> I am puzzled about the paper size, though.
> >
> > It's the default.
>
> I was under the impression that the default in current distributions
> was A4 if the installer sees where you are.
>
> Peter

Recently, there was a discussion on the texlive (thread
with subject `paper option`) mailing list where it was shown that things
are more complicated than one might assume.

--
Manfred

Re: Tim Gowers, coronavirus and latex (typesetting, not gloves)

<1wjssvkli2yd2$.dlg@nililand.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3646&group=comp.text.tex#3646

From: new...@nililand.de (Ulrike Fischer)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 11:55:42 +0200
 by: Ulrike Fischer - Sun, 30 May 2021 09:55 UTC

Am Sat, 29 May 2021 22:05:42 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> I was under the impression that the default in current distributions was
> A4 if the installer sees where you are.

The default of article.cls is letter, and as soon as you load any
package which actively sets the PDF mediabox (like graphicx, color,
geometry or hyperref for example) you get letter as PDF size. Try
this with and without color (assuming that your default is A4)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{color}
\begin{document}
blub
\end{document}

If you reliably want A4 you should set it explicitly.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/