From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Andrew Roughan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Subject: 6502bench .l1str opcode
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:50:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zlwFcMkZskeKCrUQh4bQfj2C1/4=
 by: Andrew Roughan - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:50 UTC

TW ROM does a JSR to print routine and then provides in-line vertical row,
length byte and then string in high ASCII.

6502bench has done a pretty good job determining strings in TW ROM, but
needed a little help for a couple of sequences. I think a $0d in the code
may have been interpreted as a CR and caused the interpretation to fail.
Anyway, I don’t mind that, but I’m having trouble cleaning it up.

Why does ‘Strings prefixed with 1 byte length’ display the string as comma
separated hex bytes (see screenshot)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10917598@N06/51446203131

I would expect a display like .str
Why can’t I use ‘Display As’ to elect how it should be displayed?

(Despite reading the help, I don’t understand why the operand dialog shows
‘Display As…’ Hex for a .str operand - that doesn’t make sense to me)

(Needing to select all the data for the string had me scratching my head
for a while after the last enquiry resulted in using Tag/hints sparingly,
but I got there in the end)

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: 6502bench .l1str opcode

<a200bb14-b6c6-42e4-ba41-fc49b3c1a37en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3655&group=comp.sys.apple2#3655

Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 08:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 6502bench .l1str opcode
From: thefad...@gmail.com (fadden)
 by: fadden - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:43 UTC

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 7:50:27 AM UTC-7, Andrew Roughan wrote:
> Why does ‘Strings prefixed with 1 byte length’ display the string as comma
> separated hex bytes (see screenshot)

That's peculiar. I can't think of a reason offhand why it would do that. Can you send me the binary and the project file? (Either e-mail direct, or attach in a .ZIP to an issue on github.) Maybe throw in the "SourceGen-settings" file for good measure.
> (Despite reading the help, I don’t understand why the operand dialog shows
> ‘Display As…’ Hex for a .str operand - that doesn’t make sense to me)

The UI sets the "hex" and "low" radio buttons by default. Those sections are greyed out (disabled) when you don't have one of the "simple data" buttons selected, but Windows doesn't hide the button selection when you disable a radio button set. To make the selection dot disappear I'd need to add an event handler to clear them when something outside "simple data" was selected, recording their values elsewhere, and then re-select them if you went back to a "simple data" format. It felt more distracting to have the selection popping in and out than just leaving it in place but greyed out.

> (Needing to select all the data for the string had me scratching my head
> for a while after the last enquiry resulted in using Tag/hints sparingly,
> but I got there in the end)

Possibly relevant:
https://6502bench.com/sgtutorial/string-formatting.html
https://6502bench.com/sgtutorial/inline-data.html
https://6502bench.com/sgtutorial/extension-scripts.html

Re: 6502bench .l1str opcode

<shk1qv$ls0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3656&group=comp.sys.apple2#3656

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Andrew Roughan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 05:05:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WRmb2ob6KrKXYknChJBzx7KqeLI=
 by: Andrew Roughan - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 05:05 UTC

fadden <thefadden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you send me the binary and the project file?

For those following along, I raised an issue
https://github.com/fadden/6502bench/issues/110
Andy kindly provided a script to work around this problem in the short
term. Thanks Andy!