From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Copying files -- Win10 laptop to Android cellphone
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 18:47:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 18:47 UTC

Keith Nuttle wrote:

> As a general rule, I always let the device format any cards I use with
> that device. Many manufactures recommend doing formats this way. At
> least in the device I own.

*Below is a FANTASTIC valuable simple hint - from Paul - from years ago!*
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcKXV6F7/webdav16.jpg> Use a PC to name the sd card!

Most people likely won't understand the sheer beauty of the recommendation
below, mostly because they don't manage their file system all that well.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

What I do, and which Paul taught me to do years ago, is every new sd card I
get, I rename on Windows to 0000-0001 which makes the path on Android easy.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvJdKWzt/webdav06.jpg> Both sdcards mounted

Otherwise, your first sd card is BZ2S-XE5W (example) which is impossible to
remember, and worse, _each_ sd card you get has a _different_ identifier.
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FJMKYch/scrcpy21.jpg> Windows Drive: === Android

The solution Paul suggested was simple...

For the past five years or so (ever since Paul taught me this trick), I've
been using the PC to name all the sd cards 0000-0001, which has the
advantage that they're portable among Android phones with the same name.
<https://i.postimg.cc/cJLK1wt0/webdav07.jpg> Mount the entire filesystem

Lately, with the sd cards becoming huge, I have started naming them in
sequence, such as 0000-0001, 0000-0002, 0000-0003, etc. since my approach
now is to fill them up and then place them taped onto a piece of cardboard.
<https://i.postimg.cc/BQyRxCN9/webdav11.jpg> Mount sdcards read & write

In addition, I put NOTHING on that sd card in the polluted locations that
Android creates. I create my own directory (e.g., 0001) and then anything I
want to put on that card goes into MY WELL ORGANIZED HIERARCHY in 0001.
<https://i.postimg.cc/yYWwgGmy/webdav12.jpg> As Windows drive letters

Likewise with the 0000 directory on the internal storage card (sdcard0).
<https://i.postimg.cc/tTmdgKTB/scrcpy02.jpg> An efficient program setup

Once in those two locations (0000 & 0001), the hierachy is exactly the same
as it is in my data directory on my PC - which is the same for all PCs.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtbR1GY0/webdav13.jpg> Over Wi-Fi on your home LAN

Just as the menu hierarchies are the same on Android & Windows, so is the
data hierarchy, the rationale being you do the same thing on both
platforms.
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0G1TXcZ/scrcpy01.jpg> Menus are the same for both
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to provide excellent hints for naming sd cards.